RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2023 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/08/23 4:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
The past few draft classes have been dismal as well though.

I think not knowing who exactly was going to be in the 2023 WNBA Draft put a damper on the Mock Drafts.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/08/23 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^this

How many people had Charisma Osborne in their mocks? Or any number of the players we assumed would come out but said "Nah, I'm good"?

PostPosted: 04/08/23 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.beyondwomenssports.com/2023-wnba-mock-draft-4-0-final-edition/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/08/23 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
so if they declare for the draft but don't hire an agent and aren't drafted, can they 'renege' and go back to college?

and it's interesting Prince withdrew her name. will she go back to college or is she just quitting basketball altogether?

She makes way more money on social media than she would in the WNBA. I’m not exactly sure what her plan is going forward, but professional basketball isn’t something that is urgent for her.

so apparently she's headed to TCU

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/09/23 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Greg Bibb and the Dallas Wings pass on hometown player Jordan Horston at #3 taking a chance she'll be there at #5?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/23 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s a lengthy article on Lou Lopez Sénéchal
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/36090539/2023-wnba-draft-uconn-huskies-lou-lopez-senechal

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/09/23 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously you can only pick from what's available in any given year, but is Jordan Horston any better of a prospect than Rennia Davis?

PostPosted: 04/09/23 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a full replay of the Basketball Hall of Fame Women’s Showcase game between #14 Iowa St vs #25 Vlllanova that played on December 20, 2022.
https://cyclones.com/watch/?Archive=19309&sport=8&type=Archive
It’s free to everyone, just make sure to turn off the ad-blocker for the feed to work.

The game has three 2023 first round prospects, plus I’d keep an eye on Emily Ryan as a PG prospect in ‘24/‘25.
Joens #24 red
Ryan #11 red
Siegrist #20 white
Soares #10 red

Iowa St looked like a contender back when Soares was healthy. She sustained an ACL injury in early January.

Last edited by Shades on 04/09/23 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/09/23 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should Minny take Soares at 2?

With the lack of posts and multiple teams having multiple first round picks I do not believe she will still be on board at 12

If not Minny at 2 should Dallas use either 3 or 5 or Atl use either 6 or 8 in Soares?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/09/23 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know there can be all kinds of reasons for where someone goes to school, so this is a genuine question rather than a shot - if Soares is the kind of talent some people now seem to be viewing her as, what was she doing in the NAIA for four years?

PostPosted: 04/09/23 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

one main version, three smaller versions. enjoy.

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/10/23 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/09/23 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I know there can be all kinds of reasons for where someone goes to school, so this is a genuine question rather than a shot - if Soares is the kind of talent some people now seem to be viewing her as, what was she doing in the NAIA for four years?

Family reasons, father played and coached at Masters. Also, sister played at Masters.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2022/04/as-unique-as-it-gets-stephanie-soares-road-to-iowa-state/

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/09/23 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Thibault has been quiet, does he stay at 4 or go up or go down?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/09/23 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a question for anyone that can answer it. Is it better for a player to play a fifth year of college basketball or to hire a professional basketball trainer that would help that player with their skill development?
The reason I ask this question is because I have heard several college basketball coaches say that it is not their job to develop their players for pro basketball.

PostPosted: 04/09/23 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/36090539/2023-wnba-draft-uconn-huskies-lou-lopez-senechal

I don't know what to think about Lou and her prospects for a pro career. For the most part, I have been a non-believer. I couldn't believe how good her 3 point percentage was early in the year--I must have watched every single one of her misses, but somehow looked away when she was hitting them. I had to go check her stats myself after someone posted here that she was close to 50%. However, her 3-point percentage went down throughout the year, and I very seldom saw her make a 3 that wasn't wide open even after I was aware of her success rate.

Throughout the year, just when I'm convinced she's not good enough for the WNBA, she goes and proves me wrong and has me second guessing, but only for a short while. I don't think she's good at creating her own shot. But then she has a game where she does exactly that, and I'm left wondering if she's better than I think she is. But then I see nothing like that for several games. I see her lack of speed exposed on defense, but then, she makes a couple of defensive plays that really catch the eyes. But again, every time I'm convinced she's better than I thought she was, she doesn't display that something extra for far too long.

For the most part, I was bewildered at the many people here who thought she was a sure-fire 1st round pick. At the same time, there were almost as many people who thought she shouldn't be drafted and would be a flop if she was.

My almost-final verdict was that she was not worthy of a pick in the first two rounds (is this the first year there are 3 rounds?). But then, Lou was the only UConn player who had a halfway decent game in the Ohio State game. I am not a big believer in clutch performance being an indicator of future performance, but there is no denying that Lou performed well in clutch situations for UConn this year.

So with all that, I really don't know what to think--it should be interesting to see how she pans out. I would not spend a first round pick on her, but she has enough upside to be a good second round pick.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/23 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I have heard several college basketball coaches say that it is not their job to develop their players for pro basketball.

Yeah, who goes to college to gain skills relevant to their future employment...

PostPosted: 04/09/23 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is going to be a boring draft not a lot of trades and not a lot of roster spots for draftees IMO

here is a mock trying to keep it kind of different while still trying to make some sense

1. Indy Boston
2. Minn H. Jones (I like the fit between Collier and Clark, too soon)
3. Dallas Miller (best available surprised she is available)
4. Wash A. Joens (I think Mike T likes her and always mixes it up a little)
5. Dallas Horston (who they were going to take at 3 shocked to see at 5)
6. Atl Z. Cooke (I just see her there)
7. Indy Siegrist (I am not as psyched about Seagrist as most, but could work out for her in the long run playing off of Boston)
8. Atl Soares (Why not, Atl has some history with Brazilian players)
9. Sea Berger (Sea needs a PG, is Berger a PG? can always try again in 24 with Bueckers)
10. LA Lopez-Senchel (Miller likes Shooters, LA needs a SF)
11. Dallas A. Morris (Not sure 3 can make it to the roster for the Wings from this draft but Morris could sneak in they need a back PG)
12. Minn Juhasz (they need another post, again not sure they have the room but Dorka could sneak by)

13. Indy Beal (mights as well see if she can join the Gamecocks party with Boston and Henderson, even with Indy's roster three from this draft will be a challenge to make the final roster)
14. LA Miksell (probably doesn't make the final cut unless she beats out Lopez-Senechel but more shooting and maybe could play SF)
15. Atl Amihere (Gamecock party in Indy, gamecock party in Atl Could be a good place to and Atl might have one open spot in the front court, I guess I have Amihere as the last invitee drafted)
16. Minn Fankam-Mendjiadue (The Lynx are probably out of spots maybe could beat out Juhasz)
I would pretty much just be guessing from this point on
which to be honest is what I have been doing since pick 2

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/09/23 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don't know what to think about Lou and her prospects for a pro career. For the most part, I have been a non-believer. I couldn't believe how good her 3 point percentage was early in the year--I must have watched every single one of her misses, but somehow looked away when she was hitting them. I had to go check her stats myself after someone posted here that she was close to 50%. However, her 3-point percentage went down throughout the year, and I very seldom saw her make a 3 that wasn't wide open even after I was aware of her success rate.

Throughout the year, just when I'm convinced she's not good enough for the WNBA, she goes and proves me wrong and has me second guessing, but only for a short while. I don't think she's good at creating her own shot. But then she has a game where she does exactly that, and I'm left wondering if she's better than I think she is. But then I see nothing like that for several games. I see her lack of speed exposed on defense, but then, she makes a couple of defensive plays that really catch the eyes. But again, every time I'm convinced she's better than I thought she was, she doesn't display that something extra for far too long.

For the most part, I was bewildered at the many people here who thought she was a sure-fire 1st round pick. At the same time, there were almost as many people who thought she shouldn't be drafted and would be a flop if she was.

My almost-final verdict was that she was not worthy of a pick in the first two rounds (is this the first year there are 3 rounds?). But then, Lou was the only UConn player who had a halfway decent game in the Ohio State game. I am not a big believer in clutch performance being an indicator of future performance, but there is no denying that Lou performed well in clutch situations for UConn this year.

So with all that, I really don't know what to think--it should be interesting to see how she pans out. I would not spend a first round pick on her, but she has enough upside to be a good second round pick.

Reason 3 point percentage decreased was she was playing banged up and bruised with a bad ankle and sore knee, These affected her range. Auriemma talked about it during the season. Remember, she was on an island alone for most of the season. The other teams keyed on her, beat her up but she played almost 40 minutes every game.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/09/23 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

different fun list my team by team roster spot breakdown in reference to what the draftee are competing with

Indy
In Mitchell, Smith, Vivians, Cannon, Wheeler, pick #1
very likely Engstler, Egbo, Henderson, Wallace
that is 10 leaving 2 spots for
Hull, Hatar, Parry, Caldwell, pick 7, pick 13, pick 17

Minn
In McBride, Powers, Collier, Carelton, (Achonwa), Shepard, T. Mitchell, Dantas, Allen, #2
That is 10 they only have money for one more and Achonwa replacement down the road
competing for the spot and a little
pick 11, pick 16, Milic, Banham (It doesn't look good for the picks unless they are injury or late arrival place holders)

Dallas
In Ogunbowale, Sabally, Howard, Deshields, McCowan,
likely in Dangerfield, Burton, #3, #5, Kuier
that is 10 2 spots left for
Brown, Collier, Dickey, Laksa, Pick 11, pick 19

Washington
In Cloud, Atkins, Sykes, EDD, MHA, Austin, SWK
likely in pick #4, Zahui B
that is 9 leaves 2 spots for
J. Jones, Westbrook, Hawkins, Li Meng, Jenkins

Atl
In Howard, D-Rob, A. Gray, Ch. Parker, Billings, Coffey
likely AD, McDonald, Hillmon, pick 6
leaves 3 spots for Mompremier, pick #8, pick #15, Cubaj, Pivec and Rupert

Sea
In Loyd, Russell, Magbegor, Nurse, Whitcomb,
likely in Plaisance, Melbourne, pick #9
leaves 4 spots for Turner, Walker, Charles, Guirantes, Dojkic, pick 18 and pick 21 still hard work to get past the names before the 2nd round picks have a shot on this squad than the late first rounders in Dallas and Minny

LA
In N. Ogwumike, C. Ogwumike, A. Stevens, Clarendon, J. Thomas, L. Brown, (KLS), Hamby
that is 8
competing for last three spots (And KLS maternity replacement) Burell, Canada,Yang Liwei, R. Gray, pick 10, Karlie Samuelson, pick 14. LA is an interesting team to be drafted by I could see both 10 and 14 making it and I could see both being cut it depends on who Miller likes between the returning players all of whom have a shot.

Chi and Conn don't pick until late in the second round, with both those teams looking to compete for playoff positioning and more I don't see the picks have much of a chance, same with NY and LV third round picks, those team seem more likely to bring in slightly more seasoned players off the waiver wire than anyone who will still be on the table in this draft. I feel the same way about PX, the waiver wire seems the more likely root to fill out deep bench spots over their two third round picks but if you are picked in the 3rd round PX is the place you want to go, they will likely need there last player to be super cheap. But I don't think any of the five teams draftinging out of the top 20 spots are likely to keep anyone from this draft.

At least until we have maternity or injury replacements I think this could be a record low year for draftees making opening day rosters my guess is 12-15.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/10/23 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TFLCLx2Xjb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/10/23 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TFLCLx2Xjb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haley Jones is the player who fits her descriptions.

However, trading down to get her makes more sense to me, and getting an extra first round draft pick with it.

For instance, taking Diamond and then trading down with Dallas for 3 and 5 would be ideal. Would Dallas part with these top two? Getting their other pick with the 3 might work too depending upon who is taken and who not. Throwing in Collier as a bonus? Why not, she's only 23 and maybe Reeve can infuse some desire into her. As just a throw in, there's nothing to lose. From what I've seen overseas, she hasn't shown much progress though...

Dorka would be nice to get but don't think she is going to make it to 12. She's already trained, cultured, win oriented and unselfish, coming from UConn.

Siegrist would be nice to get too at 6'2" and meets most of Reeve's criteria and can learn.

Actually, Reeve could use 4 or 5 of these available 15... Embarassed

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/23 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For a third round sleeper I like Shai McGruder from New Mexico. She's the only 50/50 player in the draft (she's actually 60/60).

PostPosted: 04/10/23 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Shades wrote:

Haley Jones is the player who fits her descriptions.

However, trading down to get her makes more sense to me, and getting an extra first round draft pick with it.

For instance, taking Diamond and then trading down with Dallas for 3 and 5 would be ideal. Would Dallas part with these top two? Getting their other pick with the 3 might work too depending upon who is taken and who not. Throwing in Collier as a bonus? Why not, she's only 23 and maybe Reeve can infuse some desire into her. As just a throw in, there's nothing to lose. From what I've seen overseas, she hasn't shown much progress though...

Dorka would be nice to get but don't think she is going to make it to 12. She's already trained, cultured, win oriented and unselfish, coming from UConn.

Siegrist would be nice to get too at 6'2" and meets most of Reeve's criteria and can learn.

Actually, Reeve could use 4 or 5 of these available 15... Embarassed

As I’ve stated before, I’d be surprised if Reeve wanted more draft picks instead of less. She doesn’t love rookies. That’s not changing now.

Anybody else notice Reeve still talks like she’s the GM, even though technically she’s not the GM anymore, she’s the president. Why isn’t the “real” GM talking to the media? That whole front office arrangement seems like a facade to me.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/10/23 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
For a third round sleeper I like Shai McGruder from New Mexico. She's the only 50/50 player in the draft (she's actually 60/60).

I loved watching her for my fantasy team....but she's not a W player. Still would be fun for her to get drafted.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/23 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

I loved watching her for my fantasy team....but she's not a W player. Still would be fun for her to get drafted.

I could see a GM fall in love with her athleticism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 25 of 26

Jump to: