RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2022 WNBA Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/13/22 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Sharika Austin might get more minutes at the beginning of the WNBA then originally planned.

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

There is an understanding that the team may have to start the season without Elizabeth Williams (Turkey) and Myisha Hines-Allen (Italy) as they finish their seasons overseas.

It is interesting to think about this being the last year that the Priority Clause isn't in effect. It could be like last year a little where several established players join their W teams late, thereby helping a few extra rookies make their roster and appear on Opening Night. But once the season is in full swing, things probably regress back into expected levels. We could be down to 10 rookies or so by the season's midpoint, depending on how some of the fringe ones are doing and how fluid teams' roster situations are by then.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/22 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nelson-Ododa will make a roster. UConn players always stick. Coming into this season they've had 40 players drafted. 39 of them played in the league. That's the best percentage of any school that's had more than five players drafted.

PostPosted: 04/13/22 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Nelson-Ododa will make a roster. UConn players always stick. Coming into this season they've had 40 players drafted. 39 of them played in the league. That's the best percentage of any school that's had more than five players drafted.

You mention Nelson-Ododa, and ChWilliams should have an even better chance than her, but no mention of Westbrook. 🧐
Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/22 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

You mention Nelson-Ododa, and ChWilliams should have an even better chance than her, but no mention of Westbrook. 🧐
Laughing

Westbrook will make it too. W coaches love those Hussies.

PostPosted: 04/13/22 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

Laughing

Westbrook will make it too. W coaches love those Hussies.

Love your consistency with that. 🤪 We shall see. I didn’t mind the Storm taking Westbrook precisely because I knew I wouldn’t be that sad to see us cut her. 😇 How is she gonna stand out in a Training Camp? Honestly, what covetable skills does she possess? I just don’t know.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/22 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of grade inflation...

https://justwomenssports.com/wnba-draft-team-grades-dream-fever-sparks-liberty/

Five As out of 11 teams and again the lowest is a C

PostPosted: 04/13/22 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

An interesting tidbit about Connecticut in that article: "Connecticut, facing a limited salary cap, had a trade in place to move down the board on draft night, sources tell Just Women’s Sports. Instead, they were able to secure the player they had near the top of their list in Nia Clouden." I wonder what the trade was going to be.

PostPosted: 04/13/22 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For anyone wondering, the one UConn player who didn't make it was Shea Ralph. Ralph's constant knee problems caused to fall to a third round pick by Utah in 2001. She sat out her rookie season with an ACL tear suffered late in her senior season. She had another knee surgery, her 5th, in the winter of 2002 and decided her body wasn't up to the rigors of pro ball.

PostPosted: 04/13/22 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:

An interesting tidbit about Connecticut in that article: "Connecticut, facing a limited salary cap, had a trade in place to move down the board on draft night, sources tell Just Women’s Sports. Instead, they were able to secure the player they had near the top of their list in Nia Clouden." I wonder what the trade was going to be.

I kept saying on Twitter in the lead-up to the draft that Miller needed to move down, even if it was a straight-up trade of #12 for #13/14/15/whatever. Because of the maths with how their roster sits the difference in base salary between end-of-the-first round and anywhere in the second makes a big difference to Clouden's chances to make the roster. Unless they think she's going to beat out Charles or Carrington, they should've traded down regardless of who was left on the board.

PostPosted: 04/14/22 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:

I kept saying on Twitter in the lead-up to the draft that Miller needed to move down, even if it was a straight-up trade of #12 for #13/14/15/whatever. Because of the maths with how their roster sits the difference in base salary between end-of-the-first round and anywhere in the second makes a big difference to Clouden's chances to make the roster. Unless they think she's going to beat out Charles or Carrington, they should've traded down regardless of who was left on the board.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll be bummed if Clouden gets cut because of this sort of minutiae.

PostPosted: 04/14/22 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll be bummed if Clouden gets cut because of this sort of minutiae.

It goes to show the masterful job Thibault did staying in the top 3 of the draft selecting the player they really wanted and picking up a early 2nd round selection.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/14/22 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:

It goes to show the masterful job Thibault did staying in the top 3 of the draft selecting the player they really wanted and picking up a early 2nd round selection.

+1 regarding Thibault.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/14/22 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.beyondwomenssports.com/wnba-draft-grades-the-winners-the-losers-and-the-incompletes/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/14/22 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
https://www.beyondwomenssports.com/wnba-draft-grades-the-winners-the-losers-and-the-incompletes/

At least Lin Dunn got her first pick right, #2 NaLyssa Smith. Engstler might work for this squad. After that, it's a total crap shoot, except for Queen Egbo. If she makes the squad and plays, this team is in even deeper doodoo than they were before. There is nothing about her that says "WNBA player."

And Lexie Hull will not stay in front of WNBA wings, even on her own team.

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 04/14/22 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dunn’s first mistake was not negotiating for that #1 pick.

I gotta believe #2 + #10 beats out #3 + #14.

Then all she’s out is Egbo to get Howard. Big frickin’ whoop.
I picked up Egbo with #28 in the fantasy draft.

Then you never know. ATL might not have wanted Smith and passed on her. Can’t exactly say she fits ATL’s supposedly new culture. She might been available at #4 anyway.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
awhom111

PostPosted: 10/27/22 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I completely losing it?

Chicago should not have been able to sign Emmanuelle Tahane, right?

She did not declare for the draft and her eligibility appears to look like this:
17-18: Year 1
18-19: Year 2
19-20: Transfer sit out
20-21: Covid year
21-22: Year 3

I suppose it did not matter in the end so we can all just have a good laugh about it, but what if she had made the team and played in a game?

It also makes me wonder if there would have been a path to play her way into the 2023 Draft from her first pro season in France if she had not already been signed.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/27/22 3:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given that she was already sitting out the 19-20 season, which was the primary one players lost due to Covid, maybe she didn't get the extra year and therefore her eligibility was exhausted? That would've made her eligible for the 2022 draft whether she declared or not, and therefore available to be signed once she went undrafted.

I have to assume someone thought she was available for the 2022 draft, or she wouldn't have been allowed to be signed.

PostPosted: 10/27/22 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Given that she was already sitting out the 19-20 season, which was the primary one players lost due to Covid, maybe she didn't get the extra year and therefore her eligibility was exhausted? That would've made her eligible for the 2022 draft whether she declared or not, and therefore available to be signed once she went undrafted.

I have to assume someone thought she was available for the 2022 draft, or she wouldn't have been allowed to be signed.

Everyone got 20-21 free, even freshmen, so I just do not see how she could not have been considered having a season of eligibility left.

James Wade deserves Executive of the Year if he can either break the rules without anyone knowing or convince the people in charge that he is not breaking the rules.
scullyfu

PostPosted: 10/28/22 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you transfer & sit out don’t you lose a year of eligibility?

PostPosted: 10/28/22 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you announce your transfer before May 1, you don’t have to sit out. If you announce your transfer after May 1, unless you are a Grad or can get a waiver, you have to sit out, but you do not lose a year of eligibility.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/28/22 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Everyone got 20-21 free, even freshmen, so I just do not see how she could not have been considered having a season of eligibility left.

James Wade deserves Executive of the Year if he can either break the rules without anyone knowing or convince the people in charge that he is not breaking the rules.

According to an instagram post she signed with an agent in early April, signing with an agent automatically relinquishes NCAA eligibility, not sure how that plays in with her WNBA eligibility as far as the draft goes.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/28/22 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

According to an instagram post she signed with an agent in early April, signing with an agent automatically relinquishes NCAA eligibility, not sure how that plays in with her WNBA eligibility as far as the draft goes.

You have to have been available to be drafted at least once. Otherwise we'd have people waiting until after the draft to turn pro so that they could make themselves free agents rather than going where they're selected. So if she did it before the draft then everything's probably fine, as long as she followed whatever nonsensical rule paths the league had in place.

'Signing with an agent' probably doesn't mean what it used to, though. There are definitely college players essentially working with agents these days for their NIL deals.

PostPosted: 10/28/22 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

You have to have been available to be drafted at least once. Otherwise we'd have people waiting until after the draft to turn pro so that they could make themselves free agents rather than going where they're selected. So if she did it before the draft then everything's probably fine, as long as she followed whatever nonsensical rule paths the league had in place.

'Signing with an agent' probably doesn't mean what it used to, though. There are definitely college players essentially working with agents these days for their NIL deals.

The post of her signing was made before the 2022 WNBA draft. Perhaps she was eligible because she signed with an agent before the draft.

Also to your second part, that is true, the NIL stuff has changed the way things are regarding marketing, agents, etc., but if a student athlete signs with an agent/firm/company, I believe it has to be in the contract they will not represent them regarding athletic interest and no promise of an agreement to represent them after turning pro.

awhom111

PostPosted: 11/01/22 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they were informed very close to the draft, I could see the WNBA deciding that they did not need to issue a press release to the public and could just inform the teams that she was available. It seems like unnecessary chaos though if people can decide to enter after the clearly established deadline.

There also does not really seem to be any benefit to doing things this way so I can completely buy that somebody somewhere just was not sure about the rules and how they should apply. It would be fun if players could clandestinely make themselves college ineligible and be draft-eligible without that being known. Imagine the scandal that would erupt if Aliyah Boston never declared for the draft and then revealed five minutes after it was over that she had previously signed an agency agreement and should be considered an undrafted free agent and then signed with the Aces.

I will probably write something about this soon. It is interesting enough to kick around some more ahead of future drafts. Assuming the actual rules are worded the same way as their press releases, there does appear to be some wiggle room in the wording.
awhom111

PostPosted: 11/06/22 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I lay out as much of the known information about Tahane's signing as possible in this article:
https://wbasketballblog.com/2022/11/06/an-unusual-wnba-signing/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: