RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Connecticut vs #1 South Carolina - 4/03/22
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Connecticut
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
South Carolina
81%
 81%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 22

Shades

PostPosted: 04/01/22 11:00 pm    ::: #2 Connecticut vs #1 South Carolina - 4/03/22 Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournament - National Final
Minneapolis, MN - 8:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN (Ryan Ruocco, Rebecca Lobo)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/37ac8fd8-6c9d-4817-b26f-8170cb2437be#bucketId=1 (tvpli)

Bird & Taurasi (ESPN2):
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/276d60d8-9adb-45b5-ac79-8cdae72b5d4e#bucketId=1 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://gamecocksonline.com/showcase

Live stats:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/game/_/gameId/401414529

https://www.ncaa.com/game/5981711

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/02/22 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/02/22 5:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

go huskies

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/22 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I will root strongly for UConn, I cannot intellectually vote that they will win. SCar beat UConn easily early in the season when UConn had essentially a full roster, and crushingly in the fourth quarter, 16-3. They did so by getting 17 more shot attempts than UConn off of turnovers and vastly superior rebounding.

I assume both teams are somewhat better than they were in that early game. For UConn, Fudd is undoubtedly better but Bueckers is worse. What really hasn't recovered well for Bueckers post-injury is her ball control and WOW passing ability. Juhasz is unavailable. So, I can't rationally say that UConn has somehow improved more than SCar has.

UConn must play top notch defense as SCar undoubtedly will. Beyond that, UConn's hope probably lies in hitting an abnormally high number of 3's and other outside shots while SCar goes ice cold from the outside. In other words, SCar's guards have to be ineffective while UConn's guards beat SCar's inside power.

Not impossible. UConn is better than Kentucky and Missouri, who both caught SCar in off games. But unlikely. UConn has had a tough time surviving three of the last four games, whereas SCar has been winning fairly easy while improving its offense.
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/03/22 5:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
While I will root strongly for UConn, I cannot intellectually vote that they will win. SCar beat UConn easily early in the season when UConn had essentially a full roster, and crushingly in the fourth quarter, 16-3. They did so by getting 17 more shot attempts than UConn off of turnovers and vastly superior rebounding.

I assume both teams are somewhat better than they were in that early game. For UConn, Fudd is undoubtedly better but Bueckers is worse. What really hasn't recovered well for Bueckers post-injury is her ball control and WOW passing ability. Juhasz is unavailable. So, I can't rationally say that UConn has somehow improved more than SCar has.

UConn must play top notch defense as SCar undoubtedly will. Beyond that, UConn's hope probably lies in hitting an abnormally high number of 3's and other outside shots while SCar goes ice cold from the outside. In other words, SCar's guards have to be ineffective while UConn's guards beat SCar's inside power.

Not impossible. UConn is better than Kentucky and Missouri, who both caught SCar in off games. But unlikely. UConn has had a tough time surviving three of the last four games, whereas SCar has been winning fairly easy while improving its offense.

I agree-I just don't think this team has had enough practice time together since Paige came back to fully gel. Throw in the fact that Paige is still not all the way back mentally, no Dorka, and the foul trouble that awaits, and I just don't see how we win this. My brain told me that we had to hit 12 3's to win and I just don't see that happening.

We may be 11-0 in NC games, but I don't know if we've ever gone into the NC game being this much of an underdog.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/03/22 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While it is certainly possible that UConn can win, South Carolina has been the best team in the country all year, and it hasn't been close. No reason to think they won't win this one either.

I am guessing I'm 50/50 on whether it will be double digits.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/22 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
We may be 11-0 in NC games, but I don't know if we've ever gone into the NC game being this much of an underdog.

It is perhaps worth noting that South Carolina is also undefeated in national championship games

PostPosted: 04/03/22 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though I can't vote, I pick UConn to win.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/03/22 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:

It is perhaps worth noting that South Carolina is also undefeated in national championship games

For the purposes of game analysis and outcome, pretty much worthless, imo. I wonder when the last time a final featured two previous champs that are unbeaten in the final.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/03/22 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we had a healthy Paige, I’d feel more confident, but we don’t.

This means that South Carolina will definitely have the best player on the floor.

Not that UConn can’t win, but I suspect in 15 years to a decade we will look back at this game as a passing of the torch from Geno to Dawn. (Not that Geni won’t win again, I absolutely think he will with Paige and Azzi.. I just think South Carolina is on its way to being “the” program).

PostPosted: 04/03/22 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:

For the purposes of game analysis and outcome, pretty much worthless, imo. I wonder when the last time a final featured two previous champs that are unbeaten in the final.

If we only include schools that have actually been there before, the answer is never

PostPosted: 04/03/22 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect Paige is less healthy than she was prior to the Stanford game. She seemed to hurt herself rather badly in the 4th. She limped back on valiantly but she had lost a bit. I don't think she'll be completely herself until next year. And then, yikes!

This is SC's game to lose.

PostPosted: 04/03/22 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

This means that South Carolina will definitely have the best player on the floor.

Not that UConn can’t win, but I suspect in 15 years to a decade we will look back at this game as a passing of the torch from Geno to Dawn. (Not that Geni won’t win again, I absolutely think he will with Paige and Azzi.. I just think South Carolina is on its way to being “the” program).

I was thinking that, too. This has 2000 FF in Philly, vibes.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 04/03/22 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's pretty much all been said already. Many things have to go right for UConn to win, and most of those would be a surprise in of themselves (e.g., Edwards and ONO avoiding foul trouble). This is the game where we'll miss Dorka. Hope it's a good/competitive game, but not particularly optimistic about even that.

We had a pretty great run to get here and crossing my fingers and toes for a "miracle" to close it out (that's overstating the case, but couldn't think of a better work to go in that sentence).

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/03/22 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

I hope not. I hope, instead, what we are seeing is an era where there isn't ONE program. Leading up to tonight, we have had five different champions in the last five years. I hope this repeat is something we continue to see a lot less of.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/03/22 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:

So are most coaches.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/03/22 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I hope not. I hope, instead, what we are seeing is an era where there isn't ONE program. Leading up to tonight, we have had five different champions in the last five years. I hope this repeat is something we continue to see a lot less of.

Five different champs may just be evidence of mediocrity.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/03/22 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Five different champs may just be evidence of mediocrity.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/22 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:

So are most coaches.

Not really. Only four current coaches have reached the finals and won every time they've been there.

PostPosted: 04/03/22 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:

So are most coaches.

Not really. Only four current coaches have reached the finals and won every time they've been there.

There are very few coaches who have lost a final. The rest are undefeated, which is the standard you set. It isn't a big deal. What IS a big deal is winning 11 times.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/22 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:

So are most coaches.

There are very few coaches who have lost a final. The rest are undefeated, which is the standard you set. It isn't a big deal. What IS a big deal is winning 11 times.

Undefeated in national championship games obviously excludes any who haven't been in a national championship game.

PostPosted: 04/03/22 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:

So are most coaches.

Undefeated in national championship games obviously excludes any who haven't been in a national championship game.

No. It doesn't. But the real issue here is using some partisan stat to try and equate 11-0 to 1-0. It only works if you say "undefeated" and focus on zero losses. And as partisan propaganda it may make some SCar fans feel good but as a rational argument it's BS.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/03/22 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the record I don't think history will play into this game. And SCar is an obvious favorite. UConn's chance rests on the fact that they are an improving team. Everyone assumed that Stanford's height would dominate inside and yet UConn won the battle of the paint. I expect Boston to have another great game. UConn can't stop her. But I don't think SCar can stop UConn's guards.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/22 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:

So are most coaches.

No. It doesn't. But the real issue here is using some partisan stat to try and equate 11-0 to 1-0. It only works if you say "undefeated" and focus on zero losses. And as partisan propaganda it may make some SCar fans feel good but as a rational argument it's BS.

You must not be a native English speaker. No one would use that sentence to include those who haven't been in a national championship game.

As a rational argument, any past record is irrelevant as a predictor in one game. Records that stopped being added to 5-6 years ago aren't even worth considering.

PostPosted: 04/03/22 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Logic.

Is this assertion logically true or false:

"Most coaches are undefeated in national championship games."
singinerd54

PostPosted: 04/03/22 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Logic.

Is this assertion logically true or false:

"Most coaches are undefeated in national championship games."

When you type "undefeated definition" into Google (they use definitions from Oxford Languages, apparently), it says "not defeated, especially in a battle or other contest." Based upon that definition, it is true.

pilight, what I think linkster is actually pushing back on is that you brought up related but not directly relevant information (South Carolina is also undefeated in national championship games), indicating that you believe it's worthy to consider that information in the conversation, connoting that the accomplishments are the same or should be held in more similar regard (you did not mention the difference in sample sizes, for example, which is significant).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: