RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Connecticut vs #1 North Carolina St - 3/28/22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Connecticut
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
North Carolina St
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 13

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/29/22 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Can we cut the whining about home court advantages? Creighton walked into Iowa City and won. South Dakota walked into Waco and won. Belmont nearly pulled it off in Knoxville. And we can’t forget about Jackson State and UTA nearly pulling it off.

Michigan beat South Dakota in the Sweet 16 in what sounded like a home court game for them. The teams that execute from start to finish are usually the ones that win, regardless of where the game is played. Officiating crews are going to probably make bad and questionable calls regardless.

I’d much rather watch games with full arenas.

If you are a great team then you will find a way to win.👏👏👏

PostPosted: 03/29/22 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I watched one of the most exciting and well-played games all year. The score was close the entire 50 minutes. It was edge of your seat basketball. Last year's consensus POY missed one shot in the second half and through 2 OT's in a riveting performance. The losing team played perhaps their best game of the year. I expected to read a string of posts praising a beautifully played and hotly contested battle.

And I come to this thread and it's an endless string of whining from all sorts who share one thing, a burning desire to see UConn fail.

UNFAIR REFS! UNFAIR SEEDING! UNFAIR UNFAIR!!!

Yeah, and then these same "basketball fans" look down their snobby noses at UConn fans and claim that they are "true fans of the sport" and UConn fans are lesser people.

Some of you folks missed a great game while typing a bunch of whiney and childish nastiness.

You should be blaming the NCAA committee for that.

We know that UConn fans are the true "women's basketball " fans. They will constantly you remind about that we they are how the game should be played, who should be playing the game, and the moral authority when it comes to basketball. A team I root for in another has the most championships and the fans don't act like this.

I'm not answering questions about the "unfairness" of the lower seeds having to play on the higher seeds home court in the 1st two rounds because that's like comparing apples to oranges.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/29/22 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I watched one of the most exciting and well-played games all year. The score was close the entire 50 minutes. It was edge of your seat basketball. Last year's consensus POY missed one shot in the second half and through 2 OT's in a riveting performance. The losing team played perhaps their best game of the year. I expected to read a string of posts praising a beautifully played and hotly contested battle.

And I come to this thread and it's an endless string of whining from all sorts who share one thing, a burning desire to see UConn fail.

Yeah, and then these same "basketball fans" look down their snobby noses at UConn fans and claim that they are "true fans of the sport" and UConn fans are lesser people.

Some of you folks missed a great game while typing a bunch of whiney and childish nastiness.

And an endless string of UConn faithful who describe legitimate complaints as "whining." You guys are SO freaking predictable! You lose and the whines of UCOnn fans are heard around the world. But anyone objecting to UConn getting yet another advantage...

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/29/22 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And I'm still waiting for someone to watch tape of the first half of the game and deny that EVERY replay was of UConn - no matter who just scored.

When UConn is the center of your universe, you just won't see it. But it was utterly ridiculous. Don't know who forced them to give some time to NC State, just glad they finally did. I was sitting there waiting to see a replay of a nice cut,pass, score of NC State but saw multiple replays of UConn scoring a couple of plays ago. WE ARE NOT YOUR UCONN STADIUM BIG SCREEN (you just act like it).

~rAf
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/29/22 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:

IF the Top 8 below is the order the Selection Committee ranked them (I do not know if it is, but it seems pretty logical that it would be), then didn't the committee do the "right" thing with regional placement?

Order of Top 8
1) South Carolina
2) Stanford
3) NC State
4) Louisville
5) Baylor
6) UConn
7) Texas
8) Iowa

+

South Carolina is closest to Greensboro
Of the remaining regionals, Stanford is closest to Spokane
Of the remaining regionals, NC State is closer to Bridgeport (by a lot)

= NC State and UConn in Bridgeport

I'm not one who has ever complained about, or crowed about, seedings or venue, but I assume this is exactly what happened.

The first four seeds get placed by geographic proximity. Then, the next 4 seeds get placed via S curve: 8 plays 1, 7 plays 2, 6 (UConn) plays 3 (NCST), and 5 plays 4.
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/29/22 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I said before the tournament began that I preferred UCONN in the Wichita Regional.

I have said for DECADES on these WCB message boards that these types of Regional placements are bs and are an EMBARASSMENT to our game.

I have NEVER denied the obvious problem with it. What I find interesting is that it's only when UCONN is involved do we get endless bitching and moaning. You won't see ONE G.D. post next March about the South Carolina advantage in Greenville. The hypocrisy from fans who LOVED that their school BOUGHT a Regional, to be played ON CAMPUS, yet rail against UCONN in Bridgeport, is telling.

If you gave Wes Moore the option to advance to the 4th quarter, game tied, with the ball, shot clock off, I think he'd take that, even in Raleigh.

And then one of the main contributors to the nonstop bitching and moaning wants what, next year? Not that the Regionals be fair, but that the team she hates gets placed in exactly the situation she claims to despise.

Classic.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/29/22 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

. . . .

All true.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/29/22 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Also this.

Honestly, this game was right up there with the Uconn/Tenn Diana hits a halftime bomb and then ties the game with an inbounds three for me.

It was one of the best games I've seen. No team lost this game with errors, it was simply great play after great play. (Well, okay..maybe Wes made a mistake, but the players didn't)

PostPosted: 03/29/22 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can we (is it possible??) get this thread to linger right up until Friday's game? We won't even have to start a new one. Shocked Razz

mercfan3 wrote:
Honestly, this game was right up there with the Uconn/Tenn Diana hits a halftime bomb and then ties the game with an inbounds three for me. It was one of the best games I've seen.

This one WAS extraordinarily entertaining, with high drama and uber-talent on display. I had it on dvr with a slight delay so I could be near real-time, but could also replay large chunks of it for instant review. I also think it's not unreasonable to say that NC State might well have had a similar outcome on their own home floor.

"Best"? MmmmmIdunno....To me, it lacked the finesse and polish of the classic Irish-Husky clashes [see: Diggins/Mabrey/Dolson/Nurse/Achonwa]
But that's all about perspective: MY fave was when Sabrina & Co. came in to Storrs and cleaned clocks. Very Happy Or when Candace Parker came into Storrs and dunked.
The Best BEST part is that now, we have all these rivalries and dynasties which have given us a much improved game, on a bigger-than-ever stage with more media coverage than we've known even 10 years ago.

Let's treasure the last weekend we have for this season, and look for some outstanding hoops! Cool

Last edited by Howee on 03/30/22 8:31 am; edited 2 times in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/29/22 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
linkster wrote:

And an endless string of UConn faithful who describe legitimate complaints as "whining." You guys are SO freaking predictable! You lose and the whines of UCOnn fans are heard around the world. But anyone objecting to UConn getting yet another advantage...

#1 Uconn had to play #2 Baylor in TEXAS last year. Were you offended by that too, or only when it's Uconn?

PostPosted: 03/29/22 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
linkster wrote:

And an endless string of UConn faithful who describe legitimate complaints as "whining." You guys are SO freaking predictable! You lose and the whines of UCOnn fans are heard around the world. But anyone objecting to UConn getting yet another advauntage...

#1 Uconn had to play #2 Baylor in TEXAS last year. Were you offended by that too, or only when it's Uconn?

Every team that made the NCAAs last season was playing in Texas because that's where the entire tournament was being
held without fans because of Covid. I guess that wasn't fair to the 50 plus or so teams that wasn't from Texas. Maybe teams should've canceled their season like Duke did. Speaking of Duke, the S Curve must have taken a leave of absence in 2012 when they were #2 seed and got sent out west to and Maryland was the #2 seed in Raleigh NC (Duke's home state). The committee must have really hated Duke that year because they had to play #7 seed Vanderbilt in Nashville for 2nd round.

The UConn being placed in Bridgeport controversy made it way onto the ACC Network TV and radio shows. Mission accomplished for WBB getting outside attention for controversy like it has a tendency to do.

Last edited by Davis4632 on 03/30/22 2:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/22 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

In Texas, but 180 miles from Waco. That would be like UConn playing in Atlantic City.

PostPosted: 03/30/22 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

In Texas, but 180 miles from Waco. That would be like UConn playing in Atlantic City.

Which considering people whine about Albany, people would still probably whine about…

PostPosted: 03/30/22 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Geez Auriemma looks 80.

To say this season has been a grind is an understatement

It's tough in the Big East when some of your six USA Basketball players go down. There are only two McDonald's All-Americans and 3 foreign stars to fill in for them.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/30/22 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Geez Auriemma looks 80.

To say this season has been a grind is an understatement

It's tough in the Big East when some of your six USA Basketball players go down. There are only two McDonald's All-Americans and 3 foreign stars to fill in for them.

The BE may not be bloated by football money but they had 2 teams in the E8.

Look up UConn's record against all P5 teams over the last 10 years and you'll see similar dominance.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/31/22 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

180 miles in Texas, and a lot of other areas of the USA, is not much more of a drive than 80 in a state like CT.

And no, that is not like CT playing in AC, AT ALL.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/01/22 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Where the only fair places they could've the bubble tournament last season? I'm not ignoring the bubble part to make an inane point. Alaska, Hawaii, on a ship (Michigan and UNC MBB played a game on ship), Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/01/22 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

180 miles in Texas, and a lot of other areas of the USA, is not much more of a drive than 80 in a state like CT.

It's hard to envision a more archetypal UConn fan post than this one.

First comes the utter nonsense. "180 miles in Texas, and a lot of other areas of the USA, is not much more of a drive than 80 in a state like CT."

No, sorry. There are a lot of differences between Connecticut and Texas, but measurement of distance isn't one of them. 180 miles is exactly the same in both places, and in both, 80 is less than half as far.

Next comes the manifestation of total hubris. "And no, that is not like CT playing in AC, AT ALL." Evidently this was considered self explanatory (it's not) and we are all to accept it as obviously true just because you say so. And especially since you highlight it with ALL CAPS.

And UConn fans wonder why the rest of the WBB world derides them?

Howee

PostPosted: 04/01/22 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
No, sorry. There are a lot of differences between Connecticut and Texas, but measurement of distance isn't one of them. 180 miles is exactly the same in both places, and in both, 80 is less than half as far.

Well, in mathematical principle, yes....but....I've driven in both places, and I'm pretty sure that anyone who has driven 80 miles on the CT Turnpike (95) might prefer to drive 180 miles in any part of TX, any day! Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 04/01/22 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, folks in the middle of the country have a wildly different definition of driving distance than coastal folks. I mind me of a time I had to bring up to someone from the Midwest that, no, having another buddy come from Syracuse to pick me up was not an option.

PostPosted: 04/01/22 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

It's hard to envision a more archetypal UConn fan post than this one.

First comes the utter nonsense. "180 miles in Texas, and a lot of other areas of the USA, is not much more of a drive than 80 in a state like CT."

Next comes the manifestation of total hubris. "And no, that is not like CT playing in AC, AT ALL." Evidently this was considered self explanatory (it's not) and we are all to accept it as obviously true just because you say so. And especially since you highlight it with ALL CAPS.

And UConn fans wonder why the rest of the WBB world derides them?

The issue isn't mileage, it's home court advantage. Any team from Texas playing any team from outside Texas is definitely the home team.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/02/22 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Any team from Texas playing any team from outside Texas is definitely the home team.

You probably think that's true about California and Florida too, right? Sorry to burst your delusions but a lot of states are big, are diverse, have more than one major university, and aren't nearly as tiny and parochial as Connecticut. You need to get out more.

Tally24

PostPosted: 04/02/22 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
Any team from Texas playing any team from outside Texas is definitely the home team.

You probably think that's true about California and Florida too, right? Sorry to burst your delusions but a lot of states are big, are diverse, have more than one major university, and aren't nearly as tiny and parochial as Connecticut. You need to get out more.

Are you from, ever lived, or attended university in Texas?
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/02/22 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Yeah, folks in the middle of the country have a wildly different definition of driving distance than coastal folks. I mind me of a time I had to bring up to someone from the Midwest that, no, having another buddy come from Syracuse to pick me up was not an option.

An East Coast friend from college came to visit and asked if I would pick her up at the airport. After we had driven over two hours chatting away, she asked where I was taking her...which was back to my house. She couldn't believe I would so casually agree to pick her up for a couple of days visit when the airport was a 5 hour round trip. It is a bit different out here in the wild west!
Very Happy

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/02/22 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Queenie wrote:

An East Coast friend from college came to visit and asked if I would pick her up at the airport. After we had driven over two hours chatting away, she asked where I was taking her...which was back to my house. She couldn't believe I would so casually agree to pick her up for a couple of days visit when the airport was a 5 hour round trip. It is a bit different out here in the Wild West! Very Happy

Agree! To sidetrack this conversation even further, I highly recommend a road trip anywhere on the west coast if y’all ever get the chance. You’re bound to see some really nice scenery whether you’re crossing the passes, driving along the coast (especially in California, where at times you have the coast on one side and the golden hills on the other), even when you’re in the middle of the high desert in Oregon and you can see the mountains far off in the distance. Hell, even the drive from about Tacoma all the way down to Portland is as easy as it is scenic. Obviously gas prices here are highest in the country, but the views are the one nice silver lining.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: