RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Connecticut vs #1 North Carolina St - 3/28/22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Connecticut
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
North Carolina St
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 13

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/28/22 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Was it fair that NC State played in CT? No. Was there any court in the country where NC state would have a bigger fan base present than Uconn? Also probably no.

A lot of wcbb fans of other teams seem to want the same recognition and advantages that come from being a historic program that has won more NCs than any other team in history. That’s not how it works. Yup, seeding and media exposure is about money. Successful programs make money. One thing I respect about Staley, is that she doesn’t complain about UConn - she went and earned the recognition and advantages.

Wouldn't it be nice to find out?

No regionals in the northeast next year. You'll have to complain about the Gamecocks playing in Greenville, SC.

I doubt that will happen.

If South Carolina is a #1 seed, it won't be the same kind of unfair, but I don't like it either. Like the men, there should be some minimum distance that a team can be placed from their campus.

Also South Carolina doesn't play "neutral" regular games in Greenville and their league tournament isn't always played there either.

So, y’all want the state with the most womens basketball fans, to not host basketball tournaments. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/28/22 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty amazing game....one for the records.

I haven't been able to plow through this whole thread yet, but my single biggest conclusion is that NC St. blew it. In Regulation. There's no way that a #1 seeded team shouldn't have set the right screens, etc., to NOT get at least one score (even if it was a free throw) with 20+ seconds left. Maybe it's on Wes, maybe the ladies didn't execute, but that desperation heave was just not excusable. That was theirs to lose, and so they did.

Miss Cunane. I haven't seen her play much, but stats be damned: she's just not a *force*. I don't see a bright pro career on her horizon.

Kudos to the Huskies. And sympathy out to Miss Juhasz - that was pretty bad to see.

mercfan3 wrote:
So, y’all want the state with the most womens basketball fans, to not host basketball tournaments. Laughing

Ummm.....I think Iowa might have ya beat there, between the Hawkeyes and the Cyclones. Never mind Drake and UNI.

PostPosted: 03/28/22 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Ummm.....I think Iowa might have ya beat there, between the Hawkeyes and the Cyclones. Never mind Drake and UNI.

Howee I am begging you to please leave the state of Iowa out of this tired mess of a debate. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 03/28/22 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
UConn went from being 0-5 in OT to being the only team in tournament history to win a 2OT game

With a lot of UNFAIR advantage from the crowd and the refs!!!! That no-call on ONO that would have fouled her out was ridiculous. No way in freaking hell should a #1 have to play against a stadium 99% full of opposition fans. No freaking way in hell. I don't care if a stadium is half empty, anything is better than what we got tonight. SO bush league. The team moving onto the FF should not be determined by the biggest fan base (and officials who refused to foul out a key player).

UCONN also benefitted from this in 2004, 2006 and 2019. The problem is the NCAA usually puts a regional in the northeast and always puts UCONN there for attendance purposes. There are never any other strong teams in the northeast so UCONN always gets priority there. Historically UCONN is now 3-1 in those home atmosphere games playing a higher seed. The only time they lost was to a very good Duke squad who needed OT to pull it off.

Other notable examples of 2 seeds playing in front of home atmosphere in regionals:

Stanford playing at home as a 2 seed in 2014. Got to Final Four beating #4 North Carolina at home.

Oregon playing in Portland as a 2 seed in 2019. Won against the #1 seed, Mississippi State.

LSU playing New Orleans as a 2 seed in 2008. Won against #1 seed, North Carolina.

Combine the 4 UCONN instances with the 3 others and you have the 2 seeds making the Final Four 6 out of 7 times when regionals are hosted at home. Anyone who claims home court doesn't make a difference or is overstated is kidding themselves IMO.

Tally24

PostPosted: 03/28/22 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the Final Four consists of 3 number one seeds and UConn, the Cinderella story.
Davis4632

PostPosted: 03/28/22 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Was it fair that NC State played in CT? No. Was there any court in the country where NC state would have a bigger fan base present than Uconn? Also probably no.

A lot of wcbb fans of other teams seem to want the same recognition and advantages that come from being a historic program that has won more NCs than any other team in history. That’s not how it works. Yup, seeding and media exposure is about money. Successful programs make money. One thing I respect about Staley, is that she doesn’t complain about UConn - she went and earned the recognition and advantages.

No regionals in the northeast next year. You'll have to complain about the Gamecocks playing in Greenville, SC.

I doubt that will happen.

If South Carolina is a #1 seed, it won't be the same kind of unfair, but I don't like it either. Like the men, there should be some minimum distance that a team can be placed from their campus.

Also South Carolina doesn't play "neutral" regular games in Greenville and their league tournament isn't always played there either.

You are confusing a women's basketball fan with a UConn fan.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/28/22 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
UConn went from being 0-5 in OT to being the only team in tournament history to win a 2OT game

With a lot of UNFAIR advantage from the crowd and the refs!!!! That no-call on ONO that would have fouled her out was ridiculous. No way in freaking hell should a #1 have to play against a stadium 99% full of opposition fans. No freaking way in hell. I don't care if a stadium is half empty, anything is better than what we got tonight. SO bush league. The team moving onto the FF should not be determined by the biggest fan base (and officials who refused to foul out a key player).

You can say "Ododa played smart to avoid her fifth foul" until you're blue in the face. She COMMITTED her fifth foul - a couple of times - but officials would not call it. With ONO out, NC State (#1 seed) wins this games, without a doubt.

Was that the only missed foul? Last year it was the same lame complaint in the Baylor game and again a bunch of crybabies have picked one call in a game filled with uncalled fouls.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/28/22 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I just looked on DraftKings for the odds of that happening-

"UConn haters bitching about unfair crowd advantage in tournament for a team other than UConn":

Yes +20000
No -10000

Our first look, this season, at last season Paige. A fine time to emerge.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 03/28/22 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can we cut the whining about home court advantages? Creighton walked into Iowa City and won. South Dakota walked into Waco and won. Belmont nearly pulled it off in Knoxville. And we can’t forget about Jackson State and UTA nearly pulling it off.

Michigan beat South Dakota in the Sweet 16 in what sounded like a home court game for them. The teams that execute from start to finish are usually the ones that win, regardless of where the game is played. Officiating crews are going to probably make bad and questionable calls regardless.

I’d much rather watch games with full arenas.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/28/22 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[duplicate

Last edited by tfan on 03/28/22 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 03/28/22 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
So the Final Four consists of 3 number one seeds and UConn, the Cinderella story.

The Cinderella team with six players who played for USA basketball and two more who were McDonald's All-Americans. Muhl , Edwards and Juhasz not being eligible for either as they are foreigners.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 03/29/22 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

Last edited by Davis4632 on 03/29/22 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Davis4632

PostPosted: 03/29/22 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I just looked on DraftKings for the odds of that happening-

"UConn haters bitching about unfair crowd advantage in tournament for a team other than UConn":

Yes +20000
No -10000
Our first look, this season, at last season Paige. A fine time to emerge.

I know some Miss St fans that were mad in 2018 when they were the higher seed and had to play in the lower seeds territory and I know some UNC fans that had were mad when they were number #1 seed in 2008 and to play the #2 seed LSU in the Superdome. The committee didn't give the huge fanbase of Tennessee a consideration when they didn't let them play their regional game
in Nashville when they were a number 1 seed. I'm not taking about the 1st two rounds the are played at top 4 seeds home court either; just the regionals.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/29/22 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should we feel bad for the repetitively boring venue whiners when they find out that Minneapolis is a home game too?
linkster

PostPosted: 03/29/22 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Should we feel bad for the repetitively boring venue whiners when they find out that Minneapolis is a home game too?

Very Happy Wink

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/29/22 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Can we cut the whining about home court advantages? Creighton walked into Iowa City and won. South Dakota walked into Waco and won. Belmont nearly pulled it off in Knoxville. And we can’t forget about Jackson State and UTA nearly pulling it off.

Michigan beat South Dakota in the Sweet 16 in what sounded like a home court game for them. The teams that execute from start to finish are usually the ones that win, regardless of where the game is played. Officiating crews are going to probably make bad and questionable calls regardless.

That last part is my point.

Is it fair? No.
(there are a lot of things about sports that are t fair. It wasn’t fair that Dorka had a season ending injury in what looked like was about to be her best game of the season. )

But the reality, as much as some don’t want to admit it, is in a regional, UConn will have the most fans. The difference is in how many people are there.

So did NC state want to play in a half full arena, with mostly UConn fans..or did they want to play on a full arena with mostly Uconn fans? As much whining as there is here (which doesn’t appear to actually be from NC state fans), I would guess the players would prefer the second.

PostPosted: 03/29/22 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

What about the handful of phantom calls that went against UConn that resulted in free throws for NC State in the second half? I don't disagree that they missed the call on ONO, but it's not like there weren't shitty calls on both ends of the floor.

As far as "the refs not calling fouls on a key player" is concerned, I only saw that as a win for NC State because she was literally stepping out of Cunane's way every time she went to the paint in fear of fouling out.

99% full of opposition fans is not what I saw. I'd love to know how the NC State fans got their tickets because I couldn't find more than one seat available behind Geno's bench for last night's game. But I digress... I suppose ESPN should be televising games that looked like the Wichita bracket where there swaths of empty seats behind both benches? They should've had other Elite 8 locations in Silicon Valley and SC where the stadiums would have had people in them.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/22 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This loss goes squarely on Wes Moore's shoulders. After the debacle of last year's tournament loss to Indiana he should have worked on end-game management but he clearly didn't.

PostPosted: 03/29/22 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

That last part is my point.

Is it fair? No.
(there are a lot of things about sports that are t fair. It wasn’t fair that Dorka had a season ending injury in what looked like was about to be her best game of the season. )

But the reality, as much as some don’t want to admit it, is in a regional, UConn will have the most fans. The difference is in how many people are there.

So did NC state want to play in a half full arena, with mostly UConn fans..or did they want to play on a full arena with mostly Uconn fans? As much whining as there is here (which doesn’t appear to actually be from NC state fans), I would guess the players would prefer the second.

Plenty of NC State fans are full of conspiracy theorists and having instate rivals like Duke and North Carolina on MBB side will do that do to you. I didn't know that Minneapolis has most Connecticut transplants in America. That's the type of conspiracy theories that NC State fans engaged in.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina-state/board/103752/Contents/wbb-in-ncaat-vs-uconn-328-8791-loss-2-ot-185244676/?page=65

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/29/22 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Ex-Ref"]OK, if the NCAA insists on playing these games on lower seeded teams local courts, the higher seeded team should start with a 5-10 point lead.

That was the worse timed time out than the one that Niele Ivey took Saturday.[/quote]

How about a 4-pt lead and the ball with 8:00 left, or a tie game, and the ball, with the shot clock off?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/29/22 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking here as a fan of Duke Women's Basketball. I've been in attendance when Duke beat UConn in the Hartford arena that was 99.9% UConn fans. There are few experiences quite as amazing as winning that game. I was not able to attend the Regional game in Bridgeport that Duke won, sending Duke to the Final Four. Pretty sure that was also 99.9% UConn fans in attendance.

Other fan highlight experiences are multiple games at arch rival UNC, with 80% UNC fans. The 20% Duke fans made more noise than the 80% UNC fans and Duke won a majority of games.

Clearly I know it is possible for a team to overcome the huge disadvantage of a close to unanimous arena cheering against them. I don't think that should continue to happen with the Regional games. And, in fact, the new plan is that it won't. Not sure how they picked Greenville, SC as the location for one of two Regional Sites for next year - looks like it's a "make up" to get as far away from CT as is possible in the continental US.

Frankly, I would pick a half full arena over a full arena that is 99.9% home fans for a Regional game. That is despite my incredible experiences of being in a tiny minority of non-home fans. It just should not be happening any longer with Regional games.

Any anyone who claims that the officials keeping ONO in the game was not decisive in the UConn victory, that is pure home bias speaking. Pure, unadulterated home bias. You want to believe the victory was totally due to miracle Paige. But without ONO in the game, the ball was unlikely to be in Paige's hands with the game on the line. And there is no freaking way ONO should have been at the game by the end of regulation, let alone throughout two overtimes. You got the decisive (non) calls by the officials that determined the outcome of this game, pure and simple. (I'm sure someone can bring the non-calls up on a tape loop for your viewing displeasure)

I am not an NC State Wolfpack fan, though I was cheering at home for them to finally get back to a Final Four, while imagining how high it would feel to be a Wolfpack fan in that stadium, like a mighty little ant stuck in a giant beehive.

And while we're at it, the UConn bias of ESPN was on FULL display throughout the first half of play. Even after an NC State basket, they were showing replay after replay of the last UConn basket. It was utterly ridiculous. They must have gotten quite an outcry after such a lopsided display of UConn love because after halftime, the replays were more evenly distributed and they actually started showing the basket NC State had just made rather than a UConn retrospective after an NC State bucket. Nice to see that they CAN do better!

I hope UConn gets to play S.Carolina in Greenville, SC next year, but I'm 99% sure UConn will be sent to the left coast as it would be "unfair" for UConn to play in S.Carolina's back yard, as loud and rowdy as THOSE fans are.

~rAf
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/29/22 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Speaking here as a fan of Duke Women's Basketball. I've been in attendance when Duke beat UConn in the Hartford arena that was 99.9% UConn fans. There are few experiences quite as amazing as winning that game. I was not able to attend the Regional game in Bridgeport that Duke won, sending Duke to the Final Four. Pretty sure that was also 99.9% UConn fans in attendance.

Other fan highlight experiences are multiple games at arch rival UNC, with 80% UNC fans. The 20% Duke fans made more noise than the 80% UNC fans and Duke won a majority of games.

Clearly I know it is possible for a team to overcome the huge disadvantage of a close to unanimous arena cheering against them. I don't think that should continue to happen with the Regional games. And, in fact, the new plan is that it won't. Not sure how they picked Greenville, SC as the location for one of two Regional Sites for next year - looks like it's a "make up" to get as far away from CT as is possible in the continental US.

Frankly, I would pick a half full arena over a full arena that is 99.9% home fans for a Regional game. That is despite my incredible experiences of being in a tiny minority of non-home fans. It just should not be happening any longer with Regional games.

Any anyone who claims that the officials keeping ONO in the game was not decisive in the UConn victory, that is pure home bias speaking. Pure, unadulterated home bias. You want to believe the victory was totally due to miracle Paige. But without ONO in the game, the ball was unlikely to be in Paige's hands with the game on the line. And there is no freaking way ONO should have been at the game by the end of regulation, let alone throughout two overtimes. You got the decisive (non) calls by the officials that determined the outcome of this game, pure and simple. (I'm sure someone can bring the non-calls up on a tape loop for your viewing displeasure)

I am not an NC State Wolfpack fan, though I was cheering at home for them to finally get back to a Final Four, while imagining how high it would feel to be a Wolfpack fan in that stadium, like a mighty little ant stuck in a giant beehive.

And while we're at it, the UConn bias of ESPN was on FULL display throughout the first half of play. Even after an NC State basket, they were showing replay after replay of the last UConn basket. It was utterly ridiculous. They must have gotten quite an outcry after such a lopsided display of UConn love because after halftime, the replays were more evenly distributed and they actually started showing the basket NC State had just made rather than a UConn retrospective after an NC State bucket. Nice to see that they CAN do better!

I hope UConn gets to play S.Carolina in Greenville, SC next year, but I'm 99% sure UConn will be sent to the left coast as it would be "unfair" for UConn to play in S.Carolina's back yard, as loud and rowdy as THOSE fans are.

And there it is...the first volley fired, a year in advance, but NOT, of course, to be critical of South Carolina playing 104 miles from campus, but yet another shot fired at UConn.

Fascinating.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/29/22 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

And there it is...the first volley fired, a year in advance, but NOT, of course, to be critical of South Carolina playing 104 miles from campus, but yet another shot fired at UConn.

Fascinating.

As one who endured my great enjoyment of being one of the .1% non UConn fans in Hartford, I will accept the volley across the net. Hope to see you again at a FF one day, if my team improves before yours declines.

I must add that ALL UConn fans - especially HuskieManiac - were quite gracious with my antics after we beat UConn in Hartford. Of course they got the last laugh as we failed to make the FF that year…

~rAf
linkster

PostPosted: 03/29/22 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched one of the most exciting and well-played games all year. The score was close the entire 50 minutes. It was edge of your seat basketball. Last year's consensus POY missed one shot in the second half and through 2 OT's in a riveting performance. The losing team played perhaps their best game of the year. I expected to read a string of posts praising a beautifully played and hotly contested battle.

And I come to this thread and it's an endless string of whining from all sorts who share one thing, a burning desire to see UConn fail.

UNFAIR REFS! UNFAIR SEEDING! UNFAIR UNFAIR!!!

Yeah, and then these same "basketball fans" look down their snobby noses at UConn fans and claim that they are "true fans of the sport" and UConn fans are lesser people.

Some of you folks missed a great game while typing a bunch of whiney and childish nastiness.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/29/22 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1) Where was all this indignation during the first two rounds when there were lots of shoulda-been upsets that didn't happen on higher seeds home floors? Why are many of you only bent-out-of-shape now?

2) This got no response in a different thread, but maybe some of the unfairness crowd will respond (preferably in a rational and non-reactionary way) to it here:
IF the Top 8 below is the order the Selection Committee ranked them (I do not know if it is, but it seems pretty logical that it would be), then didn't the committee do the "right" thing with regional placement?

Order of Top 8
1) South Carolina
2) Stanford
3) NC State
4) Louisville
5) Baylor
6) UConn
7) Texas
Cool Iowa

+

South Carolina is closest to Greensboro
Of the remaining regionals, Stanford is closest to Spokane
Of the remaining regionals, NC State is closer to Bridgeport (by a lot)

= NC State and UConn in Bridgeport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: