RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA Tournament Selection Show
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/13/22 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
women's fans do not support the sport as do men's fans

I, personally, would prefer UCONN switch places with Baylor, and potentially play Louisville in the E8.

I agree with both of these viewpoints.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/13/22 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Look, I talk a lot of shit about UConn fans. I mean, a lot of shit. And as long as I have a Big East team and UConn is in the Big East, I am going to continue talking a lot of shit about UConn fans for a lot of good reasons. But they show up for their team. Are other regionals with other teams in relative proximity equally well-attended?

And the reverse of that coin is this: as I said earlier, fans need to show up to neutral site games. UConn fans show up for their team, but they won't show up for anyone else. And they're not the only ones, they're just the current and easiest target. So. You want full seats or you want neutral sites? Right now, you can't have both.

I want both, but if I can only have one, I'd prefer neutral sites.

Then if we have neutral sites and empty seats, we don't get to complain about a lack of resources.

Yes, I know, the solution is to somehow cure Our Girls Syndrome, but I'd rather tackle something easy like world peace first.

I see it as if we had equal resources 50 years ago, even 20 years ago, OGS might not be a problem now. Sometimes the cart does need to go before the horse.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/13/22 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In principle, I would love neutral sites. I think being able to move those pods around would give WCBB more exposure, rather than drawing from the same two dozen or so sites time and again. I agree with all y'all that it would be more fair and more balanced. I do not love that UConn gets this advantage. If we were really talking about equity, we'd have neutral sites with a mild geographic bent the way the men's tournament does. If there were a subregional or a regional in New York City, I'd be there in a heartbeat. If there were a subregional or a regional in Philadelphia or Boston or Wilmington or as far down as DC, I'd be there for at least the weekend game, no matter who was playing (so long as my team was not in a WNIT game in the same geographic radius).

But I've done some crazy trips for love of the game, with no rooting interest or only the faintest wisp of one. I don't know how many other people would.

PostPosted: 03/13/22 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've lost count of how many times people have asked me if I have a kid on Marquette's team. People seem to think you just cannot get into a Women's Basketball game unless you are related to someone on the team. And I had someone tell me to calm down when I got upset after I knew that senior Erika Davenport's career had come to an end with an ACL injury a few years ago (just knew from the awful scream) - I was upset for her and wasn't cussing profusely or anything - I doubt anyone blinks an eye at me for the type of reaction I had at a men's game.

And I went to a couple regular season and playoff games at my daughter's high school - it all starts there with much more support for the boys in high school. A local boys team made it to a game with a chance to go to state if they won and the district was encouraging the whole city to get behind them (there are 3 high schools in our district) and I thought to myself I doubt they'd do the same promotion for a girls bball team.

MsProudSooner

PostPosted: 03/13/22 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember when my daughter was in high school, the parents of the boys' team would show up just as the girls' game was over. But most of the parents of the girls team stayed for both games. This school's population was about 400 for 9th - 12th grade.

My hometown was about half that size and most of the town turned out for both games when I was in high school.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/13/22 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
If there were a subregional or a regional in New York City, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

But I've done some crazy trips for love of the game, with no rooting interest or only the faintest wisp of one. I don't know how many other people would.

60+ years ago, Madison Square Garden would be packed for every game of the Holiday Festival, NIT, and Milk Fund game even if no NYC area teams were playing. Bars were packed to watch geographically remote teams play on TV in the early rounds of the men's NCAAT.

At no level has WBB ever been like that and I doubt it ever will be, notwithstanding marketing and resource efforts. Our Girls Syndrome, operative within Our Level of Female Basketball Syndrome, are prevalent even on this junkie site.

There are relatively few eclectic fans of different teams and different levels compared to the male basketball fan base, much less eclectic fans who are willing to travel. Related, my sense is that most fans of female basketball, at all levels, are males.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/13/22 10:53 pm    ::: Re: NCAA Tournament Selection Show Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
First, how the heck did we get here already? This season has flown by.

Really and truly: this very thought was hanging around my head a lot this week; I always wax sentimental as the regular season winds down, and there's always the excitement of The Big Dance, but then....it's all over. THIS SEASON, it just really felt like an abbreviated, condensed tour by all my favorite teams.

Anybody have any set plans to to be at any particular games, at any level? I was so hoping Oregon might get into the Bridgeport Regional - I'd have been there in a heartbeat! Now....I dunno 'bout making any games at all. But I'll still follow them all, as best I can.

PostPosted: 03/13/22 11:06 pm    ::: Re: NCAA Tournament Selection Show Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Really and truly: this very thought was hanging around my head a lot this week; I always wax sentimental as the regular season winds down, and there's always the excitement of The Big Dance, but then....it's all over. THIS SEASON, it just really felt like an abbreviated, condensed tour by all my favorite teams.

Anybody have any set plans to to be at any particular games, at any level? I was so hoping Oregon might get into the Bridgeport Regional - I'd have been there in a heartbeat! Now....I dunno 'bout making any games at all. But I'll still follow them all, as best I can.

nah your Ducks are in the best place possible to give them a chance at a run.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 03/13/22 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee aren’t you in Texas? Are you thinking of going to Wichita? I’m contemplating the trip down there.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/13/22 11:16 pm    ::: Re: NCAA Tournament Selection Show Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:

nah your Ducks are in the best place possible to give them a chance at a run.

Yeah, I'd agree....my only beef about the location isn't related to their competitive path to make a deep run. but that it's NOT Bridgeport, where I could easily go. As they're playing in Knoxville, that could be a doable trip for me.

TEXAS??? Bite your tongue, Coyotes! Razz

PostPosted: 03/13/22 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
In principle, I would love neutral sites. I think being able to move those pods around would give WCBB more exposure, rather than drawing from the same two dozen or so sites time and again. I agree with all y'all that it would be more fair and more balanced. I do not love that UConn gets this advantage. If we were really talking about equity, we'd have neutral sites with a mild geographic bent the way the men's tournament does. If there were a subregional or a regional in New York City, I'd be there in a heartbeat. If there were a subregional or a regional in Philadelphia or Boston or Wilmington or as far down as DC, I'd be there for at least the weekend game, no matter who was playing (so long as my team was not in a WNIT game in the same geographic radius).

I just don't see there ever being full neutral-site arenas. There are just too many things today competing for the attention of sports fans and even casual fans. Sports are on out tv's 24/7 on several different channels. And if you don't like what's there, you can always dig something up on-demand.

Men's sports fans have been at this for generations. Fathers and sons, grandfathers and grandsons going to a basketball game, a football game, a baseball game is like mom and apple pie. People are fans of teams because their fathers and grandfathers were fans of the team and took them to games.

Women's sports will probably never have that pipeline. One thing is it costs too much for average fans to go to a lot of games. And the time involved in getting there, parking, watching the game, getting out of the parking lot and getting home. For example, I was spending almost 7 hours a game to go to an ND game ~20x a year. Throw in if I had to go get a grandchild to take and it would be even more. For weekday games, I had to take a vacation day.

When you think about families with kids in after-school activities, when do they have time to go to games? It's just a whole different world than when men's sports were growing.

I'll be surprised if the attendance at men's sporting events doesn't eventually begin to look more like women's sporting events. I think about high school basketball in Indiana. It used to be that on Friday and Saturday nights the gyms would be packed to the rafters for the boys games. You sure don't see that now. Games are played during the week so that girls can have some weekend games, but even the weekend boys games are poorly attended.

Rant over - back to the tourney!!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
elsie

PostPosted: 03/14/22 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think men travel any great distances to see games that are not their home team or some connection otherwise.....just watch....many men's games will be played in front of small crowds.......men will travel for their team...

womens's bb is what it is.....I'm glad there are some die hards who really appreciate it like I do.....who wants half hearted fans anyway.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/14/22 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
All I want is an unbiased and fair distribution.

I'm going to guess though that the Tree will again have the softest path to the F4. The Committee loves Tara and she's well connected.

But, that's life....

Oh, does Stanford get to play on its home court against a higher seeded team? I must have missed that "unbiased" "fair" "soft" advantage. Rolling Eyes

Who's that you think is "well connected" and kissed up to by the Committee?

Actually, Art, I think the Committee did this one quite fairly and I am pleased with the results for each of the 4 regions. Of course, USC being #1 has a pretty easy path to the F4.

Therefore, I take back my guess regarding the Committee concerning the Tree and the Dogs will see you all in the F4.

Actually, the Dogs are in the exact Region I was hoping for -NC State (3). However, it wouldn't matter if it was in the Tree region (2). The Dogs will beat NC State by double digits unless they get knocked off first which I believe is quite feasible, then the Dogs will cut down the Tree by 6 to 8, and then proceed to the Championship game against USC, as it should be and not prematurely.

Of course, any team could get beat along the way with a hot shooting 3 ball game and/or some uphill calls but this is my prediction.

Care to offer yours?

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/14/22 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double Post.

Tally24

PostPosted: 03/14/22 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to get excited about the tournament with the constant whining. Bridgeport is a problem, but having the top 16 teams host rounds is fine? Okay lol.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/14/22 1:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd prefer a neutral site for only the Top 16 teams for the National Championship. Somewhere like Las Vegas or almost anywhere for that matter as the first set of games don't have to be played in the same building.

This will pretty much remove most actual or assumed Committee bias and it will provide enough good teams who deserve recognition but did not rank in the Top 8 for whatever reasons.

This 68 team mess IMO is ridiculous. Too many locations, very costly, unprofitable and risky for the players. Also, it's mostly boring until you get to the Sweet 16 anyways. And let's be honest, probably 95% of basketball fans could care less about the lower 52 teams playing. Put them in their own NCAA tournament and call it something respectful other than the NIT.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/14/22 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting but meaningless: All 1 seed's school colors are Red, White & Black.

PostPosted: 03/14/22 6:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Take it the hell outta Bridgeport. Permanently.

Even Lobo just called Bridgeport Storrs!!!! When the UConn homer admits it, it's time to FIX it!!

+1000!

embarrassing for you all. 1st and 2nd round are played in Storrs. she's not incorrect

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/14/22 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
S especially hypocritical ND fans, who defended ND hosting a regional on its campus court, but find UCONN at Bridgeport a stain against huwomanity.

First of all, you are aware that UConn has also hosted a regional on their home court (Gampel, 1995) as well as their other home court (HCC, 2004), right? Bringing up ND hosting a regional ONCE while your team did it TWICE would be rather hypocritical, don't you think?

You'd think by all the "gnashing of teeth" by UConn fans regarding ND's ONE regional at home that UConn's hosting regionals twice somehow got whitewashed from UConn history.

Oh, and at least ND was a #1 seed when they hosted, unlike #2 seed UConn in 2004, when #1 seed PSU had to play what amounted to an away game against the #2 seed. Yeah, that's fair.

Second of all, ND has only had one regional in their entire state (the one they hosted). They did have one in Chicago and one in Dayton, OH, but other than that's it's places like Oklahoma, Texas, Washington, Colorado...

The UConn to Bridgeton thing isn't a one-off. We'd pretty much write something like that off. Kind of a "Hey, they got a close regional this one year." Even having it twice, or three times in the last 20 years wouldn't really do much. However, the years are...

2006, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2022.

That's six times.

And you guys get hung up on just ONE year where ND hosted a regional. Now THAT is funny!

And let's not forget that whole "We should have the BET permanently set up in the HCC!!"

Last edited by CBiebel on 03/14/22 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/14/22 6:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
I'd prefer a neutral site for only the Top 16 teams for the National Championship. Somewhere like Las Vegas or almost anywhere for that matter as the first set of games don't have to be played in the same building.

This will pretty much remove most actual or assumed Committee bias and it will provide enough good teams who deserve recognition but did not rank in the Top 8 for whatever reasons.

This 68 team mess IMO is ridiculous. Too many locations, very costly, unprofitable and risky for the players. Also, it's mostly boring until you get to the Sweet 16 anyways. And let's be honest, probably 95% of basketball fans could care less about the lower 52 teams playing. Put them in their own NCAA tournament and call it something respectful other than the NIT.

Starting next year, they're doing something close to that. They're doing just 2 regional sites. One out west (Seattle, Portland, OR, Spokane, Sacramento), and one in midwest/east. (Albany, Greenville, SC, Birmingham, and Ft. Worth).

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/14/22 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Interesting but meaningless: All 1 seed's school colors are Red, White & Black.

Not true. One of them is Garnet, Black, and White...... Confused

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/14/22 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is everyone forgetting that the NCAA Tournament is going to 2-regionals next year? While I think it'll be a good thing, the regional choices are going to be a literal disaster a few times:

2023: Greenville, SC & Seattle, WA
2024: Albany, NY & Portland, OR
2025: Birmingham, AL & Spokane, WA
2026: Fort Worth, TX & Sacramento, CA

Like, have them in cities that are destinations-

While I live in Syracuse and Albany is a short drive for me and I'm excited, that's not exactly a place where tourism booms. Like, I love UCONN and women's basketball-but I'm not flying all the way to Birmingham, Fort Worth or Greeneville for 5 days. At least the west coast regionals are in cool cities. Like, why can't Philly, DC, NYC, Atlanta, or Tampa be the cities for the east coast schools?

It just goes to show that there are only so many places that are willing to host the regionals, which is why Bridgeport is often used, because it assures butts are in the seats.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/14/22 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Seriously, there is little else that brings as much joy as the bitching, moaning, and gnashing of teeth from the haters, especially hypocritical ND fans, who defended ND hosting a regional on its campus court, but find UCONN at Bridgeport a stain against huwomanity.

Queenie addresses the white elephant in the EQUALITY FOR WCB room- women's fans do not support the sport as do men's fans, and if anyone thinks the NCAA is motivated by fair play and equity, rather than money, well god bless your naivete.

I, personally, would prefer UCONN switch places with Baylor, and potentially play Louisville in the E8.

Bring on the Teddy Bears!

Dinner's on me, pilight. Wink

How did I miss this post? Oh, that's right, I tend to skip posts that I know will be so blatantly wrong that they aren't worth my time.

Thanks CB for telling the REAL story about ND and hosting regionals. Only thing that I'll add (full disclosure and all of that) is that ND has actually hosted twice. The first one was in 1983. Yes, 1983. Thirty-nine years ago!!! The teams playing were Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia and Mississippi.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/14/22 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

At least the west coast regionals are in cool cities.

um, Bart, Spokane and Sacramento are hardly 'cool' cities. They are both nowheresville cities. Seattle and Portland at least have some interesting aspects for tourists, especially Seattle. About all you can say about Sacramento is that it's halfway between San Francisco and Tahoe...and you can get to Yosemite from there. About all you can say about Spokane is.....well it's hard to find anything other than it is bleak, really bleak. You could walk around Gonzaga's campus I guess.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/14/22 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Greenville, SC is a destination city for people who are traveling to Greenville, SC...... Surprised

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: