RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA Tournament Selection Show
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/14/22 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Like, have them in cities that are destinations

Right, or cities that have sufficient local populations that may be interested in attending a tournament, which was one of my points in reminiscing about the NIT, Holiday Festival and Milk Fund Game* in NYC 60 years ago.

ucbart wrote:
It just goes to show that there are only so many places that are willing to host the regionals, which is why Bridgeport is often used, because it assures butts are in the seats.

Yeah, I often wonder about the economics of hosting neutral regionals and other pods when not many paying customers are expected. Why would any site bid to do that? How do they expect to make money? Does the NCAA subsidize these barren neutral sites somehow?

* The Milk Fund Game was a great idea. It was usually the NY Knicks playing a team of college all-stars brought in from all over the country. High school students could get into the game at highly discounted rates, and we probably could have filled MSG all by ourselves. In a time of sparse TV coverage, it was a great way to see college superstars like the Big O in the flesh.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/14/22 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Interesting but meaningless: All 1 seed's school colors are Red, White & Black.

Not true. One of them is Garnet, Black, and White...... Confused

Fine. All 1 seed's school colors are a shade of Red, White & Black. Pedant. Cool

PostPosted: 03/14/22 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Interesting but meaningless: All 1 seed's school colors are Red, White & Black.

Not true. One of them is Garnet, Black, and White...... :?

Also, black isn't an official Stanford school color. They just have alternate black uniforms like a lot of schools have had for years because black is cool. Official colors are cardinal and white.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/14/22 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just curious if anybody really listened to the second hour of supposed coverage. It seemed mostly about politics and equity. While I agree with the sentiment, I was expecting some actual discussion about the matchups. You know, like they do on the men's showssss. And I want actual discussion, not just PC bs. I just had the feeling that anybody not a women's bball fanatic would have clicked off after the first five minutes. And the interviews were pretty pathetic as well. JMO

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/14/22 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, c'mon. There was the Himalayan excitement of 60 3-second, blurry videos of ambiguous teams jumping and yelling. Props to Indiana for the candy stripe outfits.

I turned the second hour off after five minutes of repetitive boredom.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/14/22 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Is everyone forgetting that the NCAA Tournament is going to 2-regionals next year? While I think it'll be a good thing, the regional choices are going to be a literal disaster a few times:

2023: Greenville, SC & Seattle, WA
2024: Albany, NY & Portland, OR
2025: Birmingham, AL & Spokane, WA
2026: Fort Worth, TX & Sacramento, CA

Like, have them in cities that are destinations-

While I live in Syracuse and Albany is a short drive for me and I'm excited, that's not exactly a place where tourism booms. Like, I love UCONN and women's basketball-but I'm not flying all the way to Birmingham, Fort Worth or Greeneville for 5 days. At least the west coast regionals are in cool cities. Like, why can't Philly, DC, NYC, Atlanta, or Tampa be the cities for the east coast schools?

It just goes to show that there are only so many places that are willing to host the regionals, which is why Bridgeport is often used, because it assures butts are in the seats.

Bingo. And by that criterion, all New England-based regionals should be in Boston, not Bridgeport. Besides having 1,000,000x more things to see and do, it has a major airport that makes travel easier for everyone from other areas of the country. There's no way I'm driving to Bridgeport for anything, ever.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/15/22 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Just curious if anybody really listened to the second hour of supposed coverage. It seemed mostly about politics and equity. While I agree with the sentiment, I was expecting some actual discussion about the matchups. You know, like they do on the men's showssss. And I want actual discussion, not just PC bs. I just had the feeling that anybody not a women's bball fanatic would have clicked off after the first five minutes. And the interviews were pretty pathetic as well. JMO

I had the same reaction. Selection Sunday is not the time to sit and discuss political issues.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/15/22 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Bingo. And by that criterion, all New England-based regionals should be in Boston, not Bridgeport. Besides having 1,000,000x more things to see and do, it has a major airport that makes travel easier for everyone from other areas of the country. There's no way I'm driving to Bridgeport for anything, ever.

It has a major airport but I don't think that airport makes anything easier. That airport sucks and is one big giant pain in the ass. I would always fly in/out of Manchester, NH or Portland, ME...or even Providence, RI. The traffic in and out of Logan International is ridiculous.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/15/22 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

It has a major airport but I don't think that airport makes anything easier. That airport sucks and is one big giant pain in the ass. I would always fly in/out of Manchester, NH or Portland, ME...or even Providence, RI. The traffic in and out of Logan International is ridiculous.

My husband would agree with you 100%. At one time he was living in southern NH but working in Dallas (don't ask). He learned very rapidly not to fly into Logan.

PostPosted: 03/15/22 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Is everyone forgetting that the NCAA Tournament is going to 2-regionals next year? While I think it'll be a good thing, the regional choices are going to be a literal disaster a few times:

While I live in Syracuse and Albany is a short drive for me and I'm excited, that's not exactly a place where tourism booms. Like, I love UCONN and women's basketball-but I'm not flying all the way to Birmingham, Fort Worth or Greeneville for 5 days. At least the west coast regionals are in cool cities. Like, why can't Philly, DC, NYC, Atlanta, or Tampa be the cities for the east coast schools?

Some arena in Boston has to actually want to host it.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/15/22 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I don't know about having it in Boston. It's not a big college town... Wink

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/15/22 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Seriously, there is little else that brings as much joy as the bitching, moaning, and gnashing of teeth from the haters, especially hypocritical ND fans, who defended ND hosting a regional on its campus court, but find UCONN at Bridgeport a stain against huwomanity.

Queenie addresses the white elephant in the EQUALITY FOR WCB room- women's fans do not support the sport as do men's fans, and if anyone thinks the NCAA is motivated by fair play and equity, rather than money, well god bless your naivete.

I, personally, would prefer UCONN switch places with Baylor, and potentially play Louisville in the E8.

Bring on the Teddy Bears!

Dinner's on me, pilight. Wink

How did I miss this post? Oh, that's right, I tend to skip posts that I know will be so blatantly wrong that they aren't worth my time.

Thanks CB for telling the REAL story about ND and hosting regionals. Only thing that I'll add (full disclosure and all of that) is that ND has actually hosted twice. The first one was in 1983. Yes, 1983. Thirty-nine years ago!!! The teams playing were Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia and Mississippi.

The "real" story is that ND fans had no problem with the school going out of its way to actually buy a Regional host. "Unfair when it's UCONN, fair when it's us", aka hypocrisy 101. That they can't see that is of no surprise to anyone. Laughing

Again, THIS UCONN FAN would prefer UCONN be in Wichita effing Kansas. I sincerely doubt ANY ND fan here would take a similar pov if the situation were reversed.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/16/22 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
Seriously, there is little else that brings as much joy as the bitching, moaning, and gnashing of teeth from the haters, especially hypocritical ND fans, who defended ND hosting a regional on its campus court, but find UCONN at Bridgeport a stain against huwomanity.

Queenie addresses the white elephant in the EQUALITY FOR WCB room- women's fans do not support the sport as do men's fans, and if anyone thinks the NCAA is motivated by fair play and equity, rather than money, well god bless your naivete.

I, personally, would prefer UCONN switch places with Baylor, and potentially play Louisville in the E8.

How did I miss this post? Oh, that's right, I tend to skip posts that I know will be so blatantly wrong that they aren't worth my time.

Thanks CB for telling the REAL story about ND and hosting regionals. Only thing that I'll add (full disclosure and all of that) is that ND has actually hosted twice. The first one was in 1983. Yes, 1983. Thirty-nine years ago!!! The teams playing were Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia and Mississippi.

The "real" story is that ND fans had no problem with the school going out of its way to actually buy a Regional host. "Unfair when it's UCONN, fair when it's us", aka hypocrisy 101. That they can't see that is of no surprise to anyone. Laughing

Again, THIS UCONN FAN would prefer UCONN be in Wichita effing Kansas. I sincerely doubt ANY ND fan here would take a similar pov if the situation were reversed.

First of all "Out of its way?" The NCAA opened it up to bids by ANY school that year. It wasn't ND "going out of its way." Louisville, Stanford, and Nebraska also bid, yet you don't seem to bring them up. I wonder why.

As I pointed out, UConn had hosted the region (I'm sorry, I guess I should have said "UConn went out of their way to buy the regional") in 1995 and 2004. That's long before ND did with any chance of getting in the NCAAs. (in 1983 ND wasn't even likely to get an invite when they hosted that year).

Your first NC was when you didn't have to leave Storrs until the Final Four!

And here's the really funny part about this (which shows which direction the hypocrisy is going): Most ND fans didn't care. We never brought up 1995 and 2004 until UConn fans started whining about ND hosting in 2014.We were like "Ok, whatever. Schools used to do that. We beat a #1 seed Texas Tech when they were hosting a regional."

There was also the Big East Tournament, which I notice that you conveniently ignored. It used to rotate between schools. Then you got the Big East to permanently move it to the HCC. Hmmm! Then you had the AAC tournament...that was at Mohegan Sun. Well, when the Big East brought you back in at least the Tournament was somewhere fairly neutral, right? Oh wait. Mohegan Sun again!

And you miss the point of my post. Quite frankly, your past hosting on your courts is only brought up because you are so butt hurt that ND hosted in 2014 (Yet you don't care about Stanford, Louisville, or Nebraska for some reason). However, our complaint is actually about the frequency of the Bridgeport regionals. ND as a Tournament team hosted it ONCE (the 1983 was before ND was ever invited). Bridgeport had quite a run as a regional.

Let me demonstrate:

UConn's regionals:

2022: Bridgeport
2021: San Antonio Texas
2019: Albany
2018: Albany
2017: Bridgeport
2016: Bridgeport
2015: Bridgeport
2014: Lincoln, NE
2013: Bridgeport
2012: Kingston, RI

You are seriously trying to compare ND hosting the regionals ONCE to that many Bridgeport regionals? How powerful is ND's home advantage?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/16/22 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You may recall that the 2013 committee broke their supposedly iron-clad rules to send the Hussies to Bridgeport

PostPosted: 03/16/22 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Serious question, do you actually believe what you are saying? Or are you just playing??

There is no hypocrisy about this from ND fans. I think that I'm pretty much on record as being more in favor of neutral sites that asses in seats so you just go on living your fantasy. I choose reality and facts. CB has done a great job of posting them - you might want to take a look

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/16/22 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
You may recall that the 2013 committee broke their supposedly iron-clad rules to send the Hussies to Bridgeport

Is that the year that ND should have been there because it was closer, but got sent to Iowa instead?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/16/22 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:

Is that the year that ND should have been there because it was closer, but got sent to Iowa instead?

Yeah, Notre Dame got sent to Norfolk

PostPosted: 03/16/22 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I'm a little hazy. Which "iron-clad rule" was this?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/16/22 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
pilight wrote:

I'm a little hazy. Which "iron-clad rule" was this?

Higher seed among the #1s must go to the closest regional

PostPosted: 03/16/22 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Ok. REPEAT AFTER MEEEEEEE!

We.

Understand.

That.

But you can only give regionals to cities that bid to host them. I don't know why this is such a hard concept for everyone to grasp. When it's the same small cities over and over and over again, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand why.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/16/22 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:

We.

Understand.

That.

But you can only give regionals to cities that bid to host them. I don't know why this is such a hard concept for everyone to grasp. When it's the same small cities over and over and over again, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand why.

So there's only 4 cities that bid every year? Who knew? Rolling Eyes

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/16/22 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

Let me demonstrate:

UConn's regionals:

2022: Bridgeport
2021: San Antonio Texas
2019: Albany
2018: Albany
2017: Bridgeport
2016: Bridgeport
2015: Bridgeport
2014: Lincoln, NE
2013: Bridgeport
2012: Kingston, RI

You are seriously trying to compare ND hosting the regionals ONCE to that many Bridgeport regionals? How powerful is ND's home advantage?

Just for giggles I looked up Stanford's regionals going back to 2000:
In 2017, the West Regional was in Stockton, only 84 miles from Stanford.
In 2014 and 2003, it was on Stanford's home floor.
In 2012 and 2007, it was in Fresno, 170 miles from Stanford.
In 2010, it was in Sacramento, 120 miles from Stanford.
In 2009, it was in Berkeley, just across the Bay about 45 miles away.

Most of the other 14 years, the 'West' regional was either in Spokane or East of the Rocky Mountains.

BTW Spokane is more than 900 miles from Stanford. Great home court advantage!
It's kind of like calling Indianapolis home court advantage for UConn.

Laughing

linkster

PostPosted: 03/17/22 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Arenas bid for the regionals. Both Bridgeport and Albany (and Trenton NJ) offered better guarantees to the NCAA. They take the risk of UConn being there. UConn benefits from having a large fan base. But instead of emulating UConn people want the rules changed to keep fans from filling arenas. Funny but I remember a time when Tenn would have more fans at their away games than the home team. Everyone praised Pat for building a national fan base. I don't remember reading any Voepel articles about unfairness then.
Rolling Eyes

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/17/22 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Arenas bid for the regionals. Both Bridgeport and Albany (and Trenton NJ) offered better guarantees to the NCAA. They take the risk of UConn being there. UConn benefits from having a large fan base. But instead of emulating UConn people want the rules changed to keep fans from filling arenas. Funny but I remember a time when Tenn would have more fans at their away games than the home team. Everyone praised Pat for building a national fan base. I don't remember reading any Voepel articles about unfairness then.
Rolling Eyes

definitely a point! We would all like to have big fan bases willing to fill arenas. And we would all like to have regionals in our back yards too!

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/17/22 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:

We.

Understand.

That.

So there's only 4 cities that bid every year? Who knew? Rolling Eyes

No! But this tourney needs to make $$$$, ya know, so they can have equality?!? If the choices are Bridgeport(where you know it'll be a sellout) or Pittsburgh, where should the NCAA go?

I guarantee you not too many arenas/cities aren't dialing the phone too hard to host them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: