View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/07/22 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
craigmont wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:
I sure as hell am not taking Russia at its word that Griner was carrying illegal drugs while entering the country.

You're having trouble believing Brittney Griner would carry a cannabis product?

I hope and pray this turns out okay, but I don't know what's dumber:

1) Traveling to Russia in February 2022 when everyone knows they're building up to invade a neighboring country;
2) Bringing a controlled substance by air into a repressive dictatorship;
3) Vaping

Emotionally, I agree with your second and third points (she may have felt obligated to fulfill the terms of her contract, regarding point 1). That all being said, does up to 10 years in Russian jail and/or being paraded around as an example/hostage/new favorite target for the Russian government seem like a fair punishment?

Jail time seems like a fair punishment if an average Russian in the same situation was given the same punishment. Or should Griner be let off because she's an American, or a pro athlete?

One thing she does deserve is a slap side the head for going to Russia after the CDC had issued a level 4 travel warning because of COVID, and the US State Dept had issued a Level 4 warning because of the impending war, and for taking illegal drugs into a country with stringent anti-drug laws.

A slap side the head for going to Russia where she is under contract? I'm sure it's easy for you to decide not to go there when you don't have a job that you're contractually obligated to fulfill. BG plays basketball in Russia. Has for years. This is her occupation. She wasn't heading there for vacation. Who are you to be so self righteous? You don't know anything about her contract or why she felt obligated to head back there. Just because Russian media says that she had cannabis, doesn't mean she actually had it. There is literal footage from the airport and it didn't show the vape.

Your take is very rude and insensitive. This is exactly why I stated in a previous post that we know why she was there. That's not what needs to be questioned or judged. The woman was heading to work like she has been for the past 6 or 7 years. Fiba has it's own rules that players have to abide by, hence why other players were still playing in Russia until last week.

I'm aware that BG plays basketball in Russia. I stand by what I said. She made a decision to travel to Russia. Then she made a second decision to take illegal drugs with her. (The airport footage I saw showed the dog going right to a bag identified as hers.) Now her fans and the media expect she gets off rather than having to follow the laws of that country because she's a pro athlete. I hope when she's released that she doesn't echo some of the comments here about deserving special treatment because she plays basketball.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/07/22 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/07/world/brittney-griner-basketball-russia-detention/index.html

Quote:
A member of the US House Armed Services Committee said "it's going to be very difficult" to get Griner out of Russia.

"Our diplomatic relationships with Russia are nonexistent at the moment," Democratic Rep. John Garamendi of California told CNN on Monday.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
SCook wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
craigmont wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:
I sure as hell am not taking Russia at its word that Griner was carrying illegal drugs while entering the country.

You're having trouble believing Brittney Griner would carry a cannabis product?

I hope and pray this turns out okay, but I don't know what's dumber:

1) Traveling to Russia in February 2022 when everyone knows they're building up to invade a neighboring country;
2) Bringing a controlled substance by air into a repressive dictatorship;
3) Vaping

Emotionally, I agree with your second and third points (she may have felt obligated to fulfill the terms of her contract, regarding point 1). That all being said, does up to 10 years in Russian jail and/or being paraded around as an example/hostage/new favorite target for the Russian government seem like a fair punishment?

Jail time seems like a fair punishment if an average Russian in the same situation was given the same punishment. Or should Griner be let off because she's an American, or a pro athlete?

One thing she does deserve is a slap side the head for going to Russia after the CDC had issued a level 4 travel warning because of COVID, and the US State Dept had issued a Level 4 warning because of the impending war, and for taking illegal drugs into a country with stringent anti-drug laws.

A slap side the head for going to Russia where she is under contract? I'm sure it's easy for you to decide not to go there when you don't have a job that you're contractually obligated to fulfill. BG plays basketball in Russia. Has for years. This is her occupation. She wasn't heading there for vacation. Who are you to be so self righteous? You don't know anything about her contract or why she felt obligated to head back there. Just because Russian media says that she had cannabis, doesn't mean she actually had it. There is literal footage from the airport and it didn't show the vape.

Your take is very rude and insensitive. This is exactly why I stated in a previous post that we know why she was there. That's not what needs to be questioned or judged. The woman was heading to work like she has been for the past 6 or 7 years. Fiba has it's own rules that players have to abide by, hence why other players were still playing in Russia until last week.

I'm aware that BG plays basketball in Russia. I stand by what I said. She made a decision to travel to Russia. Then she made a second decision to take illegal drugs with her. (The airport footage I saw showed the dog going right to a bag identified as hers.) Now her fans and the media expect she gets off rather than having to follow the laws of that country because she's a pro athlete. I hope when she's released that she doesn't echo some of the comments here about deserving special treatment because she plays basketball.

No one said anything about her being treated differently because she is a pro athlete. I haven't seen anyone on this board state that nor have I stated that. Clearly, you have an issue with BG and that's permeating through your posts. Like I stated, she was traveling to Russia for work. You keep saying "she made a decision to go to Russia." Yes. she did because she had to. Until you are under contract in Russia for any type of position and have to make a decision on whether you will go there or not, your comment is still insensitive and rude. You don't know anything about her contract to sit and act as if her traveling to the place she works is unintelligent or a bad choice. You don't know her financial situation and sure as hell, don't know what legalities are/were tied into it.

I saw the same video and the dog went to her bag and the individual behind her's bag as well before being cut to footage of her putting her luggage on the belt. Again, did you see a vape cartridge in that footage? I guess the dog going to the other individual's bag didn't occur.

Yes. BG's a female athlete. I'm sure it comes with it's privileges, however, don't misconstrue words. No one said anything about her being given special treatment on this board. No one ever would. If you don't like someone, thats fine but your negative condescending comments can be kept to yourself. All the female athletes in the world and you're here discussing the one that you don't like.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
No one said anything about her being treated differently because she is a pro athlete. I haven't seen anyone on this board state that nor have I stated that. Clearly, you have an issue with BG and that's permeating through your posts. Like I stated, she was traveling to Russia for work. You keep saying "she made a decision to go to Russia." Yes. she did because she had to. Until you are under contract in Russia for any type of position and have to make a decision on whether you will go there or not, your comment is still insensitive and rude. You don't know anything about her contract to sit and act as if her traveling to the place she works is unintelligent or a bad choice. You don't know her financial situation and sure as hell, don't know what legalities are/were tied into it.

No, she actually didn't have to. There's always a choice. There's risk assessment involved, and Griner assessed the risk poorly. You are right about me not knowing anything about Griner's contract but, I tell you what, and I'll go to the bank with this: if Griner decided to breach her contract and not report, they weren't going to send anybody over here to extradite her to Russia. So even disregarding Russia's draconian weed laws, knowing that she had been advised about the health risk, due to COVID, and knowing that she had been advised about the escalating political tensions, she had to do a risk assessment on going, versus not going. Now, I don't know what kind of penalties she would have incurred from breaching her contract with her Russian team, but I'll bet you that they didn't involve the possibility of ten years in prison. I'll put everything I've got, and everything I'm ever going to have on that.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/07/22 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
SCook wrote:

No, she actually didn't have to. There's always a choice. There's risk assessment involved, and Griner assessed the risk poorly. You are right about me not knowing anything about Griner's contract but, I tell you what, and I'll go to the bank with this: if Griner decided to breach her contract and not report, they weren't going to send anybody over here to extradite her to Russia. So even disregarding Russia's draconian weed laws, knowing that she had been advised about the health risk, due to COVID, and knowing that she had been advised about the escalating political tensions, she had to do a risk assessment on going, versus not going. Now, I don't know what kind of penalties she would have incurred from breaching her contract with her Russian team, but I'll bet you that they didn't involve the possibility of ten years in prison. I'll put everything I've got, and everything I'm ever going to have on that.

The penalty is that you don't get your paycheck. They withhold all the money you're owed. And for a player like Griner, that could be a substantial amount of money.

We can talk "risk assessment" but it's clear that assessment was not too concerning, as all of the big names that play for Russian teams made the same one. Vandersloot and Quigley, Jonquil Jones, Emma Meesseman, etc. This wasn't like she went and did something crazy. All of the players with the same info as her made the same decision.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

The penalty is that you don't get your paycheck. They withhold all the money you're owed. And for a player like Griner, that could be a substantial amount of money.

Well, that much is obvious; so much so, that I didn't think that it even needed to be said. I don't need to know anything about Griner's contract to know that. My statement was a simple acknowledgement that I don't know whether there were any other penalties written into her contract for breach.

justintyme wrote:
We can talk "risk assessment" but it's clear that assessment was not too concerning, as all of the big names that play for Russian teams made the same one. Vandersloot and Quigley, Jonquil Jones, Emma Meesseman, etc. This wasn't like she went and did something crazy. All of the players with the same info as her made the same decision.

And it could have happened to any of them, too. I certainly don't have any reason to believe that Britney Griner is the only American player in Russia who smokes weed; she's just the only one who got caught. And as to the fact that it only happened to her, all I got for you on that is... sorry about her damned luck?

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/07/22 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Well, that much is obvious; so much so, that I didn't think that it even needed to be said. I don't need to know anything about Griner's contract to know that. My statement was a simple acknowledgement that I don't know whether there were any other penalties written into her contract for breach.

justintyme wrote:

And it could have happened to any of them, too. I certainly don't have any reason to believe that Britney Griner is the only American player in Russia who smokes weed; she's just the only one who got caught. And as to the fact that it only happened to her, all I got for you on that is... sorry about her damned luck?

The point about not getting paid was that you seemed to imply that because she wasn't likely to face any other repercussions, breaching the contract was not a big deal. I was saying that not getting paid *is* a big deal when the sums we are talking about are involved. Heck, I would imagine no matter how much you are being paid, it would be a big deal for anyone to suddenly not receive the lion's share of their annual income.

As for who it happen to or not, my point is there's a lot of judgement going around about her decision to go over for those games. Talking about "risk assessment" and all that. But the fact that all the players looked at the same variables and concluded that the risk was minimal tells us something about the information available at the time of that decision. Obviously they felt comfortable and that with the backing of their teams and people they had long term relationships with they would be perfectly fine.

Obviously, in hind sight, it seems a terrible decision on her part to bring her vape pen with her, but again, that judgement is coming with a ton of unknowns. We don't know what conversations she had had with her team/the government before this. Like many athletes she may use marijuana as treatment for pain management, anxiety, and/or one of a numerous other reasons. If that's the case she may well have discussed it with her team and been told they had worked something out to make sure she could continue to use it. Remember, a similar thing happened for Olympic Athletes in Japan where some medications are illegal, but that with prior approval a foreign citizen can get a waiver for very limited and specific amounts and not face arrest.

Now, who knows what the case is here. It may have just been a dumb decision, or something else, but without knowing any of the details it's much better to simply withhold the judgement and say she's in a terrible situation, we're worried for her, and we're hoping for the best for her.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
SCook wrote:

Russia isn't America, and she was warned of the threat of harassment. She entered the country breaking it's laws and met the harassment. Had she left the oil at home and been responsible, she most likely could have made it home like the rest. Now she is probably going to Russian prison. Since her Russian team is owned by an oligarch who is under sanction, it's likely she isn't getting paid either.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I'd also go as far to say she might well have had an "understanding" with regards to her vape pen. Probably been bringing it back and forth for years.

I'd say you are going far too far with this speculation.

A black, lesbian American player in a niche sport who plays for a team 1,200 miles from Moscow has some sort of legal immunity "understanding" with the Russian federal border control authorities and the Russian drug prosecutor bureaucracy in Moscow? Unlikely.

As for those who want to stomp their feet and turn up their noses in a show of incredulity at the Russian claims that Griner was carrying hash oil . . . well . . . your feet and noses and disbelief don't count. Nor can they help Griner. The only thing that counts is what evidence the Russian prosecutor has and what Russia, in its sole discretion, wants to do about it.
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/07/22 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
justintyme wrote:
I'd also go as far to say she might well have had an "understanding" with regards to her vape pen. Probably been bringing it back and forth for years.

I'd say you are going far too far with this speculation.

A black, lesbian American player in a niche sport who plays for a team 1,200 miles from Moscow has some sort of legal immunity "understanding" with the Russian federal border control authorities and the Russian drug prosecutor bureaucracy in Moscow? Unlikely.

As for those who want to stomp their feet and turn up their noses in a show of incredulity at the Russian claims that Griner was carrying hash oil . . . well . . . your feet and noses and disbelief don't count. Nor can they help Griner. The only thing that counts is what evidence the Russian prosecutor has and what Russia, in its sole discretion, wants to do about it.

I'm saying the understanding might have been with the Oligarch who owns her team. That she or her agent had discussed medical usage and they told her it's okay. The Oligarchs have a ridiculous amount of power over there and what is "legal" or not is typically what they say it is.

Again, though, who the hell knows. All I'm saying is it's easy to pass judgement when no one knows the full story. For instance it seems unlikely that she would have just decided this time to bring her vape with her. So why after all this time of entering and exiting the country did something come up? Unless someone is doing a bunch of work to try and smuggle it into the country, the dogs are going to catch it near on 100% of the time. So it's not a great logical leap to think there might be more to the story there.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
The point about not getting paid was that you seemed to imply that because she wasn't likely to face any other repercussions, breaching the contract was not a big deal...

Wow... My posts sound way different in your head from how they sound in mine.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 03/07/22 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
... Unless someone is doing a bunch of work to try and smuggle it into the country, the dogs are going to catch it near on 100% of the time. So it's not a great logical leap to think there might be more to the story there.

The "more to the story" is the escalating political tensions in Russia, full stop. Putin feels a way about the US showing support for Ukraine, and calling for sanctions against Russia and, in reprisal, he was looking for a chance to secure a high-profile American that he could parade around as a political prisoner. And he found one.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/07/22 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sources say this is not the first time she’s brought pens but only the first time she’s been caught and persecuted for it. In her eyes it was normal because it was not plant based marijuana . Poor BG I show sympathy bc In 2022 marijuana still being a big deal when the NBA continues to east east their rules regarding the drug alone with our own states seems
Petty but In Russia it’s #Life Martin Lawrence

PostPosted: 03/07/22 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody remember the PSAs in the 60s-70s about getting caught with drugs while overseas?

Something about a jail door slamming shut?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/07/22 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I concur that whether she actually committed a crime is irrelevant to her situation.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Anybody remember the PSAs in the 60s-70s about getting caught with drugs while overseas?

<iframe width="491" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DHeqa7kYQc0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GEF34

PostPosted: 03/07/22 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With European Leagues being sanctioned by FIBA could a breach of contract affect their standing with FIBA (national team/other leagues/etc)?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/07/22 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

I was a very young back then but I believe I remember those commercials. I also remember watching a movie about some young person that was sentence to prison for drug possession in Turkey. I can't remember the name of the movie. I believe the main character name was Billy Hayes? I only saw the movie once a long time ago. Sorry.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I was a very young back then but I believe I remember those commercials. I also remember watching a movie about some young person that was sentence to prison for drug possession in Turkey. I can't remember the name of the movie. I believe the main character name was Billy Hayes? I only saw the movie once a long time ago. Sorry.

Midnight Express, which is based on a true story

PostPosted: 03/08/22 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

National Geographic did a documentary of that incident, interviewing Billy Hayes himself, and the true story is more interesting than the movie.. Idea The movie did have a better soundtrack, though.. Arrow

Locked up Abroad - The Real Midnight Express
    https://dai.ly/x6ycd19?start=853

<iframe width="240" height="135" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fk6EucF-tsM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pilight

PostPosted: 03/08/22 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As for the Merc, they could be in a bind depending on how the CBA in interpreted. Normally a team can suspend a player who "fails to report". However, Article XIV Section 16 says a team can't "impose discipline on a player solely on the basis of the fact that the player has been arrested." If a suspension qualifies as "discipline" they may be stuck keeping her on the active roster.

PostPosted: 03/08/22 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More bad luck for Tina Charles.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/08/22 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
As for the Merc, they could be in a bind depending on how the CBA in interpreted. Normally a team can suspend a player who "fails to report". However, Article XIV Section 16 says a team can't "impose discipline on a player solely on the basis of the fact that the player has been arrested." If a suspension qualifies as "discipline" they may be stuck keeping her on the active roster.

jmvcity wrote:

Not sure this is the appropriate place for these takes. I'm sure both the Mercury and Tina Charles are far more concerned about BG and her safety than the impact it will have on the teams salary cap or Charles' championship prospects.

Understandably, Griner's situation will result in a shift in the team but it might be more appropriate to discuss that in the Phoenix thread than here.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/08/22 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wrong Time, Wrong Place. I wonder if Griner have been given a pass before in a similar instance because who she is but not this time. I can't see any foreigner in their right mind doing a drug crime in Russia

It's going to be tough negotiating getting Griner back anytime soon especially with her being held because of a crime. Maybe, the Oligarch Andrey Kozitsyn who owns the team Griner plays for in Russia can plea her case to Putin for leniency otherwise I guess she'll likely have to spend jailtime if found guilty in Russia.

I doubt another American basketball player will play in Russian for a long time coming regardless of the money.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 03/08/22 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

jmvcity wrote:

Not sure this is the appropriate place for these takes. I'm sure both the Mercury and Tina Charles are far more concerned about BG and her safety than the impact it will have on the teams salary cap or Charles' championship prospects.

Understandably, Griner's situation will result in a shift in the team but it might be more appropriate to discuss that in the Phoenix thread than here.

X_____

Thank you, some people around here have really gone off the deep end.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 3 of 33

Jump to: