RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Brittney Griner Arrested in Russia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigmont

PostPosted: 03/05/22 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
I sure as hell am not taking Russia at its word that Griner was carrying illegal drugs while entering the country.

You're having trouble believing Brittney Griner would carry a cannabis product?

I hope and pray this turns out okay, but I don't know what's dumber:

1) Traveling to Russia in February 2022 when everyone knows they're building up to invade a neighboring country;
2) Bringing a controlled substance by air into a repressive dictatorship;
3) Vaping

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/05/22 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why did this news take a month to leak Shocked

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/05/22 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:
I sure as hell am not taking Russia at its word that Griner was carrying illegal drugs while entering the country.

I never said that. I said that I don't trust Russia's version of events.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/05/22 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
craigmont wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

I believe the US Government stated in late January that travel to Russia could lead to potential harassment. If so, Griner would have chosen to ignore it and put herself in this position regardless of whether she had the cannabis oil or not

PostPosted: 03/05/22 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ABC's lead stories tonight...

#1 Putin
#2 Brit's arrest

TigerVol

PostPosted: 03/05/22 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
SHIT. Shocked The US embassy in Moscow has been evacuated. Who can help her locally?

You would think her Ekat team would be doing something.

What would you think the team can really do... Especially right now?

I imagine not a whole lot is normal there.

The leader has invaded and is shelling a neighboring country where many people have familial ties to the Russian citizens.

The US is helping drive significant sanctions against the country and leadership there.

Griner is a prime propaganda pawn from their leadership'perspective.

Who internally is going to suggest the leadership let her go much less make that happen? It is a struggle to get agreement for a cease fire to evacuate civilians in Ukraine. We've seen the leader doesn't tolerate dissent or anyone they perceive as an enemy.

Governments aren't kidding when they warn people away or encourage evacuation from a country - options are very, very limited when relationships go bad.

Her best hope is probably if he decides her value is higher a PR ploy putting him in a good light vs an example or leverage.

PostPosted: 03/05/22 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:
craigmont wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

I believe the US Government stated in late January that travel to Russia could lead to potential harassment. If so, Griner would have chosen to ignore it and put herself in this position regardless of whether she had the cannabis oil or not

She's played for UMMC Ekatrinburg for years... I am surprised that people are being critical of Griner for being in Russia, i.e. reporting to her team. Emma Meesseman and Jonquel Jones and Alex Bentley (and Vandersloot and Quigley?) also played for Ekat until about a week ago. And several more W players were in other parts of Russia until very recently. You can certainly critique players for choosing contracts in a corrupt and repressive country - a choice that has also been made by many other players (Parker, Taurasi, Moore, among others) for many years - but why focus on that now, when she might be in serious trouble?

This is awful news. Griner's family, friends, and teammates, her colleagues in the W, they must all be so worried about her. I really hope she is home soon.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/05/22 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, this is all too bad, especially since it was so easily avoidable.

If Griner has in fact violated Russian drug possession or smuggling laws, she deserves whatever legal process and punishment is usual for those offenses. However, I doubt she will get the usual.

If it were a few months ago, I'd have guessed she'd get preferential treatment, being a basketball star in the Russian leagues. Today, on the other hand, with the foreign relations between the US and Russia being at the worst and most stressful since the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, I'm afraid she'll become a pawn, if not an outright hostage, in the wartime political maneuvering.

The New York Times article seemed to say that she has legal representation in Russia. That's at least some help for her legal situation, if not much psychological help for what must be the deepest and darkest feeling of helpless aloneness.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/05/22 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Yes, this is all too bad, especially since it was so easily avoidable.

If Griner has in fact violated Russian drug possession or smuggling laws, she deserves whatever legal process and punishment is usual for those offenses. However, I doubt she will get the usual.

If it were a few months ago, I'd have guessed she'd get preferential treatment, being a basketball star in the Russian leagues. Today, on the other hand, with the foreign relations between the US and Russia being at the worst and most stressful since the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, I'm afraid she'll become a pawn, if not an outright hostage, in the wartime political maneuvering.

The New York Times article seemed to say that she has legal representation in Russia. That's at least some help for her legal situation, if not much psychological help for what must be the deepest and darkest feeling of helpless aloneness.

ABC News quoted her agent as saying Brit has legal representation in Russia.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/05/22 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Daily Mail is reporting that there are fears that Putin may hold Griner as a high profile hostage. Facing ten years in prison.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10581049/WNBA-Star-Brittney-Griner-arrested-Russia-drug-smuggling-charges-Moscow-airport.html

PostPosted: 03/05/22 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Daily Mail is reporting that there are fears that Putin may hold Griner as a high profile hostage. Facing ten years in prison.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10581049/WNBA-Star-Brittney-Griner-arrested-Russia-drug-smuggling-charges-Moscow-airport.html

That's what I thought might happen.

This woman has been going to Russia for 10+ years. Do we really think she wasn't bringing her dab pen. Laughing

They had an excuse to grab a high profile American, and they did it. Absolutely crazy and terrifying. I hope Brit is doing okay.

On a side note, it's so odd that Russia encourages performances enhancing drugs, but is strict as hell elsewhere.

PostPosted: 03/06/22 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

1) Traveling to Russia in February 2022 when everyone knows they're building up to invade a neighboring country;
3) Vaping

Emotionally, I agree with your second and third points (she may have felt obligated to fulfill the terms of her contract, regarding point 1). That all being said, does up to 10 years in Russian jail and/or being paraded around as an example/hostage/new favorite target for the Russian government seem like a fair punishment?

PostPosted: 03/06/22 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Secretary of State Anthony Blinken got a question about Griner in a presser earlier today

https://www.state.gov/secretary-antony-j-blinken-and-moldovan-president-maia-sandu-at-a-joint-press-availability/

Quote:
With regard to the individual you mentioned, there’s only so much I can say given the privacy considerations at this point.

PostPosted: 03/06/22 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
craigmont wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

3) Vaping

Emotionally, I agree with your second and third points (she may have felt obligated to fulfill the terms of her contract, regarding point 1). That all being said, does up to 10 years in Russian jail and/or being paraded around as an example/hostage/new favorite target for the Russian government seem like a fair punishment?

No, of course it's not fair. Nothing about any of this is fair or could have been expected to be fair, which circles back to point 1.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/06/22 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
craigmont wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

3) Vaping

Jail time seems like a fair punishment if an average Russian in the same situation was given the same punishment. Or should Griner be let off because she's an American, or a pro athlete?

One thing she does deserve is a slap side the head for going to Russia after the CDC had issued a level 4 travel warning because of COVID, and the US State Dept had issued a Level 4 warning because of the impending war, and for taking illegal drugs into a country with stringent anti-drug laws.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/06/22 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The New York Daily News has published an update on what's happening with Griner. They have a paywall; I'm not sure how many here will be able to read this. So I'm posting the link and some notes below:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-brittney-griner-wife-wnba-russia-20220306-ikqvtbyqnrf7zeq6yb3eedq6uq-story.html

Cherelle Griner, the wife of Brittney Griner, says she's dealing with "one of the weakest moments of my life." She thanks everyone who has reached out to her and has offered prayers and support. She asks: "Please honor our privacy as we continue to work on getting my wife home safely."

On Saturday both the WNBA Players Association and Griner's agent confirmed that she was indeed the woman shown in the video going through security at the airport outside of Moscow.

The WNBA has expressed concern for Griner's safety and well-being. The Phoenix Mercury has said that it is in "constant contact" with Griner's family, her representation, the WNBA, and the NBA. "We love and support Brittney and at this time our main concern is her safety, physical and mental health, and her safe return home," says the Mercury.

Texas congressman Joaquin Castro has said he is "closely monitoring" the situation. His House colleague, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, has called for Griner's immediate release.

All Americans still in Russia have been urged by the U.S. State Department to leave immediately.

In a press conference. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken avoided mentioning Griner, citing "privacy considerations." He added: "Whenever an American is detained anywhere in the world, we of course stand ready to provide every possible assistance, and that includes in Russia."

PostPosted: 03/06/22 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://people.com/sports/brittney-griner-texas-congresswoman-demands-russia-release-wnba-star-arrest/

Texas Congresswoman Demands Russia Release WNBA Star Brittney Griner Following Her Arrest

Quote:
At Saturday's press conference aired by FOX 26 Houston, the Democrat called for the issue to be handled "diplomatically" and said Russia "has no right to hold Ms. Griner, period."

I'm glad she has someone fighting for her at home but that is an absurd and braindead thing to say. I don't see her heated rhetoric helping this situation.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/06/22 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:

For real. I wouldn't trust a US official that said someone was carrying. I'm sure as heck not gonna trust a Russian one.

PostPosted: 03/06/22 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before we start questioning the choice of going to play in Russia during the lead up to all this, we need to remember that these teams frequently hold player's paychecks hostage. It's very likely she was told she had to play out the season if she wanted to get paid at all.

Also, consider her everyday dealing with people probably had been a very positive experience for her so far. She was playing with and working for people she knew very well and most likely trusted.

I'd also go as far to say she might well have had an "understanding" with regards to her vape pen. Probably been bringing it back and forth for years.

So while, sure, for them outside it's easy to say "How could you be so dumb" a lot of it is likely that she never even thought about it. Didn't figure in that with everything else that was happening, all bets were off and she couldn't fully trust the people she'd grown to trust.

PostPosted: 03/06/22 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Before we start questioning the choice of going to play in Russia during the lead up to all this, we need to remember that these teams frequently hold player's paychecks hostage. It's very likely she was told she had to play out the season if she wanted to get paid at all.

Also, consider her everyday dealing with people probably had been a very positive experience for her so far. She was playing with and working for people she knew very well and most likely trusted.

I'd also go as far to say she might well have had an "understanding" with regards to her vape pen. Probably been bringing it back and forth for years.

So while, sure, for them outside it's easy to say "How could you be so dumb" a lot of it is likely that she never even thought about it. Didn't figure in that with everything else that was happening, all bets were off and she couldn't fully trust the people she'd grown to trust.

Sadly, all of this could be accurate. IF indeed Griner was actually carrying illegal drugs.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 03/06/22 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/06/22 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

For real. I wouldn't trust a US official that said someone was carrying. I'm sure as heck not gonna trust a Russian one.

Thanks to both of you. Completely agree for Russia, for the U.S., and for many other countries. I'm not saying that Griner wasn't carrying illegal drugs, but I'm definitely not taking it on face value that she was.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
craigmont wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

3) Vaping

Jail time seems like a fair punishment if an average Russian in the same situation was given the same punishment. Or should Griner be let off because she's an American, or a pro athlete?

One thing she does deserve is a slap side the head for going to Russia after the CDC had issued a level 4 travel warning because of COVID, and the US State Dept had issued a Level 4 warning because of the impending war, and for taking illegal drugs into a country with stringent anti-drug laws.

A slap side the head for going to Russia where she is under contract? I'm sure it's easy for you to decide not to go there when you don't have a job that you're contractually obligated to fulfill. BG plays basketball in Russia. Has for years. This is her occupation. She wasn't heading there for vacation. Who are you to be so self righteous? You don't know anything about her contract or why she felt obligated to head back there. Just because Russian media says that she had cannabis, doesn't mean she actually had it. There is literal footage from the airport and it didn't show the vape.

Your take is very rude and insensitive. This is exactly why I stated in a previous post that we know why she was there. That's not what needs to be questioned or judged. The woman was heading to work like she has been for the past 6 or 7 years. Fiba has it's own rules that players have to abide by, hence why other players were still playing in Russia until last week.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of 20/20 Hindsight being applied to BG around WNBA social media.
I don't think it's fair.
Travelling internationally with (allegedly) dodgy substances? Sure, that's super dumb. But going there at all? I don't agree with that criticism.

PostPosted: 03/07/22 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
A slap side the head for going to Russia where she is under contract? I'm sure it's easy for you to decide not to go there when you don't have a job that you're contractually obligated to fulfill. BG plays basketball in Russia. Has for years. This is her occupation. She wasn't heading there for vacation. Who are you to be so self righteous? You don't know anything about her contract or why she felt obligated to head back there. Just because Russian media says that she had cannabis, doesn't mean she actually had it. There is literal footage from the airport and it didn't show the vape.

Your take is very rude and insensitive. This is exactly why I stated in a previous post that we know why she was there. That's not what needs to be questioned or judged. The woman was heading to work like she has been for the past 6 or 7 years. Fiba has it's own rules that players have to abide by, hence why other players were still playing in Russia until last week.

Thank you. Fully agree. And I'd actually like to live in a world where people making public criticisms of women--whether valid or not--never say that any woman deserves "a slap side the head."

PostPosted: 03/07/22 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of 20/20 Hindsight being applied to BG around WNBA social media.
I don't think it's fair.
Travelling internationally with (allegedly) dodgy substances? Sure, that's super dumb. But going there at all? I don't agree with that criticism.

It appears too, that she was traveling right before things heated up with Russia.

Russia would have known, but she might not have known yet.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 2 of 33

Jump to: