RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stanford women roll over UCLA 91-68
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 01/02/06 9:45 am    ::: Stanford women roll over UCLA 91-68 Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Stanford women's basketball team has its swagger back.

After entering the weekend with its confidence shaken, the Cardinal polished off two of its biggest challengers in the Pacific-10 Conference race with relative ease. Sunday, No. 14 Stanford completed an impressive sweep of the Los Angeles schools by routing UCLA 91-68 at Maples Pavilion.

Friday, the Cardinal beat USC 77-56.

Candice Wiggins and Brooke Smith led the weekend revival. Wiggins scored 30 points (improving on her 26-point performance against USC), and Smith scored 23 points and grabbed 14 rebounds after a 20-point, 11-rebound effort against the Trojans.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/13531244.htm

Freshman point guard Rosalyn Gold-Onwude had nine rebounds, eight assists, and only two turnovers. Looks like Wiggins is back at the two guard where she belongs!

hooper1

PostPosted: 01/02/06 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gold-Onwude was REALLY impressive in this game! Interesting that Stanford has several players with the ability to take over a game - Wiggins, Brooks, Newlin, and now Gold-Onwude.

UCLA was pretty underwhelming. Can't figure out why Olivier had her team continue to press when they were getting beat over and over and over and over. It was almost painful to watch. They got killed on fast breaks and when they tried to press.

Favorite part of the game: Idiot commentators talking about "Jean Daugherty" of UW and "Tara VanderWal" of Stanford.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/02/06 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I might be in LA for the rematch the end of this month. I hope the Bruins get it together by then!

MNfan22

PostPosted: 01/02/06 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:
UCLA was pretty underwhelming. Can't figure out why Olivier had her team continue to press when they were getting beat over and over and over and over. It was almost painful to watch. They got killed on fast breaks and when they tried to press.

Almost, it was painfull to watch for me. Laughing Once the ball got near the half court line it was like UCLA just watched Stanford doing a lay-up drill.

What the heck is wrong w/UCLA ?????
After the Baylor gm even though they lost I thought, wow they're on their way to good things. This was the 2nd time I've seen them since & they get worse each time I see 'em.

Not sure what it is but they play too casual for me. Kind of like they can skate through most of the gm & then turn it on later but they never turn it up. Top it off they just seem lazy on D. Out of position & lots of reaching at the ball. To be led by 2 seniors & a junior they play w/no sense of urgency what so ever. Getting mad for 3 or 4 mins late in the gm when your down by 20+ doesn't count. Very disappointing.

hooper1 wrote:
Favorite part of the game: Idiot commentators talking about "Jean Daugherty" of UW and "Tara VanderWal" of Stanford.

Laughing Can't stand listening to Paul Sunderland. Too often he's a good one for screwing up names, people, places & other facts.

PostPosted: 01/02/06 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA will have a new coach next season. Anyone know of any big time coaches that may be interested? It really will be a great situation for any coach to come in. UCLA, even without Willis and Blue, still has the talent to be one of the top programs in the conference. I know it doesn't seem that way but most of the underperforming is due to a coach who runs no set plays, doesn't know how to get her players to play D and doesn't know how to get her players to play co-hesively.

If this team were under the guidance of a good coach (someone like Dawn Staley...hint, hint...would she ever consider?) this would be a Final Four caliber team. That is how bad a coach KO is. I feel sorry for her. She's a nice enough lady and has run a very clean program, but she's also a bright enough lady that she's controlled a lot of what happens to her at UCLA and that is why she lasted 13 years.

She got her team to the Elite 8 in her final year of the last contract, had everyone returning for the next season and convinced the UCLA AD who was a good friend of hers to give her a rollover contract that it was virtually impossible for the new AD (who had to buyout the football and men's basketball coach's contract for underperforming that it was too expensive to buyout KO). Well this is the final season of this contract thank God! She's history no matter what and UCLA would probably have to win a championship this season to convince anyone that she can lead the program and even then that might not save her job because next season they lose 2 of the best players to ever wear UCLA uniforms the players coming in are solid players but none the quality of Willis and Blue. She put herself in the position to be ridiculed around the country. She had her chances and for me there were way too many chances.

I feel bad for her because she's a nice lady but she just can't coach. UCLA's players are just going through the motions. I could see that on TV last night. They really lack chemistry because I just don't think they believe in the coach anymore. They all like her as an individual and a friend, but they just seem uninterested being out there on the court. I feel so bad for Nikki Blue and Lisa Willis. Nikki was such a spectacular player coming into UCLA, I didn't even think that KO could screw her up the way she has. Nikki needs to play for a coach like Michael Cooper the way that he benefited Nikki Teasley's game and brought out the best in her. Anyway, sorry to ramble but I am very sad for the UCLA players especially the seniors. The other players will have a new coach and that coach will have a nice group of players to work with next year.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/02/06 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doubt if Dawn Staley would consider any job other than the Virginia job, but that job doesn't seem to be opening any time soon. Debbie Ryan seems to have things headed in the right direction this season.

Mathies to LA 2013
AJMMs

PostPosted: 01/02/06 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been wondering what happened with Ryan but I knew it was just a matter of getting the right players. She seemed to be having some trouble signing good recruiting classes but that's changing it seems like. I realize Dawn Staley and UCLA most likely would never happen but for me personally, she would make UCLA instantly popular with recruits especially the elite local players.

Word around SoCal is that many of the elite local players have always liked UCLA as a whole but couldn't play for KO. SWG was one of them as was Abi Olajuwon. Gemelos liked the campus but couldn't play for KO. The Paris Twins really liked the campus and TJ when she was there but couldn't play for KO. TJ may have been able to persuade Wiggins and Houston. Though maybe not Wiggins because she just loved Stanford, but Houston could've been a possibility.

So for me it would be between Staley and TJ is I had a choice, but TJ has no head coaching experience but neither did Boyle at Cal or did she?

styxfan22

PostPosted: 01/02/06 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
I've been wondering what happened with Ryan but I knew it was just a matter of getting the right players. She seemed to be having some trouble signing good recruiting classes but that's changing it seems like. I realize Dawn Staley and UCLA most likely would never happen but for me personally, she would make UCLA instantly popular with recruits especially the elite local players.

Word around SoCal is that many of the elite local players have always liked UCLA as a whole but couldn't play for KO. SWG was one of them as was Abi Olajuwon. Gemelos liked the campus but couldn't play for KO. The Paris Twins really liked the campus and TJ when she was there but couldn't play for KO. TJ may have been able to persuade Wiggins and Houston. Though maybe not Wiggins because she just loved Stanford, but Houston could've been a possibility.

So for me it would be between Staley and TJ is I had a choice, but TJ has no head coaching experience but neither did Boyle at Cal or did she?

Boyle was the head coach at Richmond for a few years.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/02/06 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
I've been wondering what happened with Ryan but I knew it was just a matter of getting the right players. She seemed to be having some trouble signing good recruiting classes but that's changing it seems like.

I realize Dawn Staley and UCLA most likely would never happen but for me personally, she would make UCLA instantly popular with recruits especially the elite local players.

I think it was just a matter of bringing in players who would fit the system. While Brandi Teamer and LaTonya Blue were immensely-talented, they didn't always follow instructions during their stay in Charlottesville. With them moving on, Ryan now has players in her program who are willing to listen and do what it takes to win. Thus far, her team has done just that. They're statistically better (in W-L) this season as compared to last. Cam would be pleased to know that junior Siedah Williams (Ohio native) is becoming a highly-efficient player for Virginia as well as being a leader on the court. Virginia is also lucky to have one of the best point guards in the ACC in sophomore Sharneé Zoll, a player who's stepped up her play since participating on the U19 team this summer (the same team that featured C. Paris, Langhorne, Wiggins, Larkins, Coleman, Waner, etc.). Lyndra Littles has been a surprise for Ryan off the bench as she leads the ACC in offensive boards and ranks #1 among freshmen in total rebounds despite playing around 20 minutes. So yes, Debbie Ryan has found a combination that is working thus far in C-ville and she's doing it (for the most part) with younger players. She's also found a slight recruiting spark by signing Monica Wright, a player ranked in the Top Ten of her class (2006). So while she's not getting numerous high school All-Americans, Ryan's quietly putting together a team that will challenge for the ACC for the next few seasons and should make a serious title run by 2008. Did I mention that Debbie's had to endure this rebuilding process (didn't make the NCAAs in 2004) while battling cancer? She's a strong lady.

As for Dawn being able to draw in big-name local recruits, I definitely agree with that. Dawn seems like she has the right combination of youth and personality to be able to pull the local kids (though her assistants probably do most of the in-house recruiting). Just like Dawn was a rare talent at all levels of basketball, she's a rare coaching talent at Temple. Because she's from such a big city (Philly), I'm sure she'd have no problem going into LA and snatching up the talent there if she was the coach at UCLA. With the resources available to her at UCLA, she could make them a Pac-10 champion in, say, three seasons.

Mathies to LA 2013
PalaceAthena

PostPosted: 01/03/06 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd have to think the UCLA job would be one of the most attractive in the country. You have a great campus and arena, and athletic dept. totally committed to women's sports with lots of success in a variety of different sports, and a great area to recruit from. Money shouldn't be an issue for the university either. So the Bruins should be able to get a great coach.

I'm not sure if Dawn Staley wants to leave Philadelphia, let alone the East Coast, though I agree she'd be one of the first I'd contact. But she has a lot of ties to Philly that go beyond Temple and basketball. Her family and foundation, to name a couple.

There's a few ways I could see UCLA going with this. 1-Bring in an established and successful head coach from that region who is currently coaching in a smaller conference, e.g. New Mexico's Don Flanagan or Utah's Elaine Elliott. 2-Go after a successful coach from a major conference, but a smaller area, e.g. Deb Patterson at Kansas State. Or, 3-go after one of the premier assistant coaches in the country, eg. Chris Dailey at UConn.

An intriguing choice for me might be going after Coquese Washington at Notre Dame. She's filled in for Muffet McGraw a few times this year when McGraw missed games due to illness. She's a former WNBA starter. And she's a point guard, so she's used to coaching on the floor. Now, the other thing I'd do, is see if I could persuade the now retired Natalie Williams to be her assistant. Nat would instantly help recruiting, what with her being a UCLA legend and all. And if I'm a high school player, I wouldn't mind playing for a couple of former WNBA players. I mean guards know they'll get great teaching from Co, and if you're a post, well, could you imagine being coached by Nat! Just something a little out of the box, that I hope UCLA considers.

hooper1

PostPosted: 01/03/06 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Chris Gobrecht would take another job in SoCal. Very Happy

AJMMs

PostPosted: 01/03/06 4:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:
I think Chris Gobrecht would take another job in SoCal. Very Happy

AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! hooper1 that is not funny! Wink Actually if Gobrecht is a choice, UCLA might as well stay where they are...

Anyway, I would hope that there would be a slew of good coaches wanting to coach at UCLA. The UConn assistant would be great too but somehow, I really wish UCLA would hire a good African-American coach (TJ or Staley if she ever has the desire to leave Philly or Virginia) but definitely most important is the best coach available. I believe UCLA would have to buyout a year of Staley's contract at Temple if she were interested.

How about Staley as head coach and Nat Williams the associate head coach? Dream on...

Slovydal

PostPosted: 01/03/06 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
UCLA will have a new coach next season... They really lack chemistry because I just don't think they believe in the coach anymore. They all like her as an individual and a friend, but they just seem uninterested being out there on the court. I feel so bad for Nikki Blue and Lisa Willis. Nikki was such a spectacular player coming into UCLA, I didn't even think that KO could screw her up the way she has. Nikki needs to play for a coach like Michael Cooper the way that he benefited Nikki Teasley's game and brought out the best in her. Anyway, sorry to ramble but I am very sad for the UCLA players especially the seniors. The other players will have a new coach and that coach will have a nice group of players to work with next year.

I completely agree about Teasley/Cooper.

I feel sorry for the seniors too.

Noelle's injury "saved" K.O.'s job last year - now she has no excuse.

LitePal

PostPosted: 01/03/06 11:29 am    ::: Best coach? Reply Reply with quote

Would UCLA be willing to think outside the box and just go for the best coach, male or female, black or white? If that's the case, they should take a hard look at Fresno City College's Vance Wahlberg, considered by some to be the top coach in California. Since he's a men's coach and is looking at the Fresno State job, it might be tough to lure him to Div. 1 women but he coaches tough defense with high octane offense. And his rosters have generally been smaller than most other programs so he could be a good fit. Undefeated seasons and State Championships aren't a bad pedigree.

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/story/9750466p-10616594c.html

His approach to full court pressing and run and gun would have been perfect for this Bruin team.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/03/06 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as long as they're looking in Fresno, maybe they should interview Stacey Johnson-Klein as well?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/03/06 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any chance Mulkey-Robinson would leave Baylor? If she is the coach we are led to believe she is, the resources and recruiting base at UCLA could make the sky the limit.

What about someone like McCallie or Pam Borton?

Mark French would be my ideal candidate, but it doesn't look like he will ever leave UCSB.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/03/06 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
The UConn assistant would be great too

Tonya Cardoza or Chris Dailey?

Mathies to LA 2013
AJMMs

PostPosted: 01/03/06 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
AJMMs wrote:
The UConn assistant would be great too

Tonya Cardoza or Chris Dailey?

Sorry I was referring to Dailey. Would she ever leave Geno's side? I just hope UCLA goes after the best available.

LitePal

PostPosted: 01/03/06 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought about Stacey, because she'd be a weirdly good match for LA and the Bruins. And she'd have better access to courtside lingerie and prescription medication.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 01/03/06 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Any chance Mulkey-Robinson would leave Baylor? If she is the coach we are led to believe she is, the resources and recruiting base at UCLA could make the sky the limit.

Quote:
Mulkey-Robertson signs Baylor contract extension -- Thursday, March 31, 2005

Kim Mulkey-Robertson made it clear: She's not going anywhere.

The fifth-year Baylor University women's basketball coach, who leaves with her team today for the Final Four in Indianapolis, has signed a six-year contract extension that runs through the 2010-11 season.

"The bottom line is that I'm not leaving Baylor," Mulkey-Robertson said Wednesday. "Randy and Makenzie and Kramer (her husband and two children) would probably disown me if I ever thought about going anywhere. This is our home, and we're happy here."

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2005/03/31/20050331wacmulkey.html

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/03/06 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Quote:
Mulkey-Robertson signs Baylor contract extension -- Thursday, March 31, 2005

Kim Mulkey-Robertson made it clear: She's not going anywhere.

The fifth-year Baylor University women's basketball coach, who leaves with her team today for the Final Four in Indianapolis, has signed a six-year contract extension that runs through the 2010-11 season.

"The bottom line is that I'm not leaving Baylor," Mulkey-Robertson said Wednesday. "Randy and Makenzie and Kramer (her husband and two children) would probably disown me if I ever thought about going anywhere. This is our home, and we're happy here."

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2005/03/31/20050331wacmulkey.html

Plenty of coaches sign extensions and say the right things only to leave when the right offer comes along.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 01/03/06 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the woman who waited 15 long years to become head coach at LaTech. She's loyal to a fault. And Waco is the biggest place she's ever lived. I can't imagine KMR in LA.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/03/06 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
This is the woman who waited 15 long years to become head coach at LaTech. She's loyal to a fault. And Waco is the biggest place she's ever lived. I can't imagine KMR in LA.

May very well be the case. I find that a lot more persuasive than a contract extension.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/03/06 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

Neither can I: Baylor can match whatever UCLA offers, KMR is from the South and seems to like it, and I suspect that her personality and expectations wouldn't suit UCLA.

The floor will remain open for nominations between now and the end of the Pac-10 season... (Nat Williams seems pretty settled in Utah. Any other ex-W players who'd be good assistants? Teresa Edwards has said repeatedly that she doesn't want to coach college ball: she'll be a good assistant coach in the W whenever she wants to be.)

hooper1

PostPosted: 01/03/06 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if there are any promising coaches from Div. II schools? Mark Trakh is doing pretty well and I think he coached at Pepperdine prior to USC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: