RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Ten Notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/01/06 4:42 pm    ::: Big Ten Notes Reply Reply with quote

Iowa, behind a determined Crystal Smith, is taking down Illinois hard. This makes IU's win over the Hawkeyes look a bit better. IU's win at Happy Valley is huge as PSU is a solid opponent. This should continue to increase confidence for the team, and keeps them undefeated in conference.

Purdue taking down OSU is a double-edged sword for the conference, IMO. OSU losing diminishes the quality of the Big Ten's big gun, but it also makes everything more interesting at the top.

I really feel like MSU has the best shot at winning the conference because I think they are least likely to have a bad loss. They may lose to Purdue or OSU, perhaps even Minny, but I don't think they are succeptable to losing to the Illini, Hoosiers, Hawkeyes or Nittany Lions like OSU, Minny, and Purdue are.

Still, was the second half of the OSU/PU game the turning of the corner for the Boilers?

I was really hoping for more out of Michigan with Burnett going up there. There creaming by MSU today says lots of work still to be done...

PostPosted: 01/01/06 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Story of the Illinois/Iowa game:

Iowa free throws: 24/28
Illinois Free Throws: 9/11

I dont know if it was homer-ing or just lack of penetration, but thats a huge difference.

PostPosted: 01/01/06 6:06 pm    ::: Re: Big Ten Notes Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
Iowa, behind a determined Crystal Smith, is taking down Illinois hard. This makes IU's win over the Hawkeyes look a bit better. IU's win at Happy Valley is huge as PSU is a solid opponent. This should continue to increase confidence for the team, and keeps them undefeated in conference.

Purdue taking down OSU is a double-edged sword for the conference, IMO. OSU losing diminishes the quality of the Big Ten's big gun, but it also makes everything more interesting at the top.

I really feel like MSU has the best shot at winning the conference because I think they are least likely to have a bad loss. They may lose to Purdue or OSU, perhaps even Minny, but I don't think they are succeptable to losing to the Illini, Hoosiers, Hawkeyes or Nittany Lions like OSU, Minny, and Purdue are.

Still, was the second half of the OSU/PU game the turning of the corner for the Boilers?

I was really hoping for more out of Michigan with Burnett going up there. There creaming by MSU today says lots of work still to be done...

I don't know Alepp. Michigan State only plays at West Lafayette this year, and Purdue doesn't make a return trip to East Lansing. That could be big in determining the B11. Purdue has beaten both Top 10 teams they have faced, and at the moment I feel like I like their chances to win - or at least share - the conference. The coming out of Aya Traore the last few games is a huge development for the Boilers.

Burnett has had to deal with a lot of injuries and whatnot, but this can not be what Michigan had in mind when they hired her. Bet Minnesota is more and more glad they went with Borton instead all of the time.

The win at Penn State is huge for IU. I am not sure if they will make the tourney like I had originally predicted, but if they can squeak into the No. 5 spot in conference, they might make it. I don't think they will beat Purdue on Thursday, but I am very curious to see what kind of game Versyp can give her old team.

stever

PostPosted: 01/02/06 1:12 am    ::: 12,088 at East Lansing, second largest crowd ever. Reply Reply with quote

http://msuspartans.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/010106aab.html

"The crowd was just fantastic - and all paid," Michigan State coach Joanne P. McCallie said. "Some places can have a big crowd and let everybody and their dog in. We recognize we're on a different stage. But we want to be a revenue-producer the way Connecticut and Tennessee have been."

The crowd of 12,088 was the second largest in Michigan State women's basketball history...the largest crowd was 14,066 on Feb. 20 vs. Ohio State...the crowd is the sixth highest in the country this season for Division I women's basketball and the biggest for a Big Ten team.

The top 6 women's basketball crowds in 2005-06:

1. 14,641 - Nov. 13 - LSU at Texas Tech
2. 13,527 - Dec. 5 - North Carolina at UConn
3. 12,913 - Nov. 20 - Stetson at Tennessee
4. 12,871 - Dec. 1 - Hartford at UConn
5. 12,290 - Dec. 1 - Texas at Tennessee
6. 12,088 - Jan. 1 - Michigan at Michigan State

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: