RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Geno's Response to Muffet's Claim of ESPN Bias
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 01/04/22 12:36 am    ::: Geno's Response to Muffet's Claim of ESPN Bias Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32988959/uconn-geno-auriemma-fires-back-muffet-mcgraw-says-bias-derives-huskies-11-national-titles-vs-notre-dame-2

I have thoughts on this but I'm curious to hear what others think.

PostPosted: 01/04/22 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dunno....I think the article is meant to highlight the women's game, and what it's media presence is/is not. Good PR, overall.

I don't believe Muff and Geno have a genuinely adversarial relationship, away from the game. But if they wanna talk some trash to attract interest....so be it.

PostPosted: 01/04/22 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Losing and being out of the top ten doesn't look good on Geno.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/04/22 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those two kids, man.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/04/22 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why does every article Voepel writes seem in defense of Geno's antics ? She blatantly pointed out misrepresentations of muffetts original comments in a separate article a few weeks ago and now she makes another one exonerating Geno and marveling at his slick words smh . Feel free to respond Michelle Cool

PostPosted: 01/04/22 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn't Geno usually save this stuff for the Final Four?

PostPosted: 01/04/22 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno gonna respond to Candace too or nah?

Last edited by lynxmania on 01/04/22 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/04/22 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Doesn't Geno usually save this stuff for the Final Four?

Its the Avatar for me !! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/04/22 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm i guess not ALL of ESPN agrees with Geno...yikes

https://twitter.com/jordancornette/status/1478412396205158403?s=20

PostPosted: 01/04/22 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

He played at Notre Dame so this is not a surprise

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/04/22 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

He played at Notre Dame so this is not a surprise

Does him playing at Notre Dame diminish his thoughts though ? Shocked

Does ESPN do or say something to him to shut this down ?

PostPosted: 01/04/22 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Geno gonna respond to Candace too or nah?

Now this is what I’m waiting for 🤣

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 01/04/22 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

didn't miss muffet essentially shit on one of her own? did she shade jewell?
surely something geno would never do.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/04/22 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Why does every article Voepel writes seem in defense of Geno's antics ? She blatantly pointed out misrepresentations of muffetts original comments in a separate article a few weeks ago and now she makes another one exonerating Geno and marveling at his slick words smh . Feel free to respond Michelle Cool

Wow. I did not respond to Voepel's article that way AT ALL. Geno comes off as a complete A-hole and all she had to do was quote his own words. Please note that I am not saying I think Geno is an A-hole. I think he did not handle himself well. That's now 2 prominent women coaching who have had serious issues with him - Pat and Muffett. Add in Candace Parker. He could have just let the wins of the program speak for themselves. He did not have to get personally insulting.

I think he's in a tough spot right now with his team of All Americans looking like high schoolers. He either hasn't chosen the right players for his style or hasn't done well at helping them develop. Not sure which it is. And this is not just coming since Paige's injury. Before she was injured, UConn players stunk, except for Paige, who kept rescuing them.

When Notre Dame was stinking it up, Muffett point blank said she was failing the team and chose to retire. She did not whine about all the players who were injured or left early for the WNBA.

Muffett was exceptional at X's and O's and having players ready for each game. Geno, until now, was the best ever at picking great players suited to his coaching style and distracting the media to protect his players. Right now his program is imploding with the full media coverage they've had during the glory years. And he's not responding well. He's on the wrong side of the way the game is changing, with great players now flocking to programs with young black head coaches.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/04/22 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Wow. I did not respond to Voepel's article that way AT ALL. Geno comes off as a complete A-hole and all she had to do was quote his own words. Please note that I am not saying I think Geno is an A-hole. I think he did not handle himself well. That's now 2 prominent women coaching who have had serious issues with him - Pat and Muffett. Add in Candace Parker. He could have just let the wins of the program speak for themselves. He did not have to get personally insulting.

I think he's in a tough spot right now with his team of All Americans looking like high schoolers. He either hasn't chosen the right players for his style or hasn't done well at helping them develop. Not sure which it is. And this is not just coming since Paige's injury. Before she was injured, UConn players stunk, except for Paige, who kept rescuing them.

When Notre Dame was stinking it up, Muffett point blank said she was failing the team and chose to retire. She did not whine about all the players who were injured or left early for the WNBA.

Muffett was exceptional at X's and O's and having players ready for each game. Geno, until now, was the best ever at picking great players suited to his coaching style and distracting the media to protect his players. Right now his program is imploding with the full media coverage they've had during the glory years. And he's not responding well. He's on the wrong side of the way the game is changing, with great players now flocking to programs with young black head coaches.

~rAf
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/04/22 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I respect this Exclamation

PostPosted: 01/04/22 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

You serious? See Sam Brunelle , Arike Ogunbowale , Semeka Randall…there’s more Confused
I respect what he has done for this game but I’m tired of him being allowed to hush other women coaches and say things to his players and media that others would be fired in a heartbeat for. Wins titles or not it’s just not acceptable anymore .

PostPosted: 01/04/22 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
He could have just let the wins of the program speak for themselves. He did not have to get personally insulting.

+1, this is exactly what I was thinking.

Muffet's original comments weren't personal attacks on Geno, or even UConn as a program. Actually, she prasied UConn: "UConn has done great things, and they've won way more than anybody else, except Tennessee. What they've done has been amazing. I think people measure their team by them. When we joined the Big East, we were like, 'We want to get to where they are. That's what we want to be. We're trying to emulate them.'" Rather, her comments were directed at ESPN as a network. She asserted that ESPN's decisions have had an effect on UConn, but she wasn't accusing UConn of anything bad.

Geno, on the other hand, spoke personal attacks that were petty and mean:
"I guess Muffet's bored. I guess she doesn't have a whole lot to talk about. Usually when she was coaching, when she did talk, nobody listened anyway. I guess she figures she's got a platform now." He took something that wasn't personal and responded in a targeted, degrading manner. Factor in his history of, let's call, it, border-line misogynistic comments, and... yeah I don't need to say more there.

I guess Daddy's a bit flustered these days! Embarassed

PostPosted: 01/04/22 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Muffett was exceptional at X's and O's and having players ready for each game. Geno, until now, was the best ever at picking great players suited to his coaching style and distracting the media to protect his players. Right now his program is imploding with the full media coverage they've had during the glory years. And he's not responding well. He's on the wrong side of the way the game is changing, with great players now flocking to programs with young black female head coaches.

~rAf
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 01/05/22 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

You serious? See Sam Brunelle , Arike Ogunbowale , Semeka Randall…there’s more Confused
I respect what he has done for this game but I’m tired of him being allowed to hush other women coaches and say things to his players and media that others would be fired in a heartbeat for. Wins titles or not it’s just not acceptable anymore .

see what about brunelle, ogunbowale?
what about jewell and mcgraw v. stewart?

Howee

PostPosted: 01/05/22 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
She asserted that ESPN's decisions have had an effect on UConn, but she wasn't accusing UConn of anything bad.

"I guess Muffet's bored. I guess she doesn't have a whole lot to talk about. Usually when she was coaching, when she did talk, nobody listened anyway. I guess she figures she's got a platform now." He took something that wasn't personal and responded in a targeted, degrading manner. Factor in his history of, let's call, it, border-line misogynistic comments, and... yeah I don't need to say more there.

Good points I hadn't recognized. Shocked

PostPosted: 01/05/22 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
He could have just let the wins of the program speak for themselves. He did not have to get personally insulting.

+1, this is exactly what I was thinking.

Muffet's original comments weren't personal attacks on Geno, or even UConn as a program. Actually, she prasied UConn: "UConn has done great things, and they've won way more than anybody else, except Tennessee. What they've done has been amazing. I think people measure their team by them. When we joined the Big East, we were like, 'We want to get to where they are. That's what we want to be. We're trying to emulate them.'" Rather, her comments were directed at ESPN as a network. She asserted that ESPN's decisions have had an effect on UConn, but she wasn't accusing UConn of anything bad.

I guess Daddy's a bit flustered these days! Embarassed

Geno is getting petty and mean in his later years, plus losing doesn't sit well. It's not at all attractive.

PostPosted: 01/05/22 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"I guess Muffet's bored. I guess she doesn't have a whole lot to talk about. Usually when she was coaching, when she did talk, nobody listened anyway."

This is where Geno went too far. Geno was the media darling in those days. The team was winning and white men were still in charge of everything. Neither of these things are currently the case. Especially in a sport dominated by Black people - and in women's basketball, that means Black women. His number of followers is dwindling, fewer people are listening to him and soon, nobody will be listening to him. Especially if he keeps being bitter and personal.

I, for one, ALWAYS listened to Muffett because her analysis of the game is unparalleled. And she's able to keep her ego out of her personal commentary of the game, something Geno seems incapable of.

To those who love Geno: I have never been a Geno hater. He's not my favorite, but I greatly admire what he's done to both show us quality women's basketball season after season and for drawing attention to the women's game through his personality and willingness to put himself out there. You might recall that I also was never a Diana hater, even at the height of her and Alana going up for all the same awards. The way she had the Cameron Crazies in the palm of her hand was sheer genius and shutting us up with her game was awesome to watch.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/06/22 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
"I guess Muffet's bored. I guess she doesn't have a whole lot to talk about. Usually when she was coaching, when she did talk, nobody listened anyway."

This is where Geno went too far. Geno was the media darling in those days. The team was winning and white men were still in charge of everything. Neither of these things are currently the case. Especially in a sport dominated by Black people - and in women's basketball, that means Black women. His number of followers is dwindling, fewer people are listening to him and soon, nobody will be listening to him. Especially if he keeps being bitter and personal.

I, for one, ALWAYS listened to Muffett because her analysis of the game is unparalleled. And she's able to keep her ego out of her personal commentary of the game, something Geno seems incapable of.

To those who love Geno: I have never been a Geno hater. He's not my favorite, but I greatly admire what he's done to both show us quality women's basketball season after season and for drawing attention to the women's game through his personality and willingness to put himself out there. You might recall that I also was never a Diana hater, even at the height of her and Alana going up for all the same awards. The way she had the Cameron Crazies in the palm of her hand was sheer genius and shutting us up with her game was awesome to watch.

+1
I am not a Geno hater either, regardless of what some pleple on this board may think. I was in awe of his ability to coach and to attract great recruits. Lately, however, the wheels have been coming off and Geno isn't handling it well.

PostPosted: 01/06/22 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another amusing thing about Geno's response. He actually proved Muffet's point with the opening part of his statement by admitting that bias exists: "I think the bias has something to do..."

Then, perhaps realizing he let accidentally let that slip, he quickly qualified that admission by adding, "if there is any...."

Freud would be smiling. Smile

(Full quote: I think the bias has something to do -- if there is any -- with the 11 national championships, which is a lot more than two."

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: