RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Your Favorite Coaches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PG4ever

PostPosted: 12/17/21 11:50 am    ::: Your Favorite Coaches Reply Reply with quote

Who are some of your favorite coaches? Not necessarily based on XXX's and OOO's or wins but coaches whose personality you like or maybe you respect the way they build relationships with players on and off the court. Niele Ivey, Dawn Staley, Joanie Taylor, Courtney Banghart, and KBA here at Michigan would all be on my list.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/17/21 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kellie Harper at Tennessee, Kenny Brooks at VA Tech, Sean O'Regan at JMU, Nell Fortner at GA Tech, Dawn Staley, Joni Taylor. Early to say but possibly Kara Lawson will be one.

PostPosted: 12/17/21 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The legend herself, Tara Vanderveer, Doshia Woods, Karl Smesko, Courtney Banghart, Denise Dillon, Lisa Bluder, Wes Moore, Doug Bruno, Kim Barnes Arico, Teri Moren, Brian Giorgis, Lisa Fortier, and many others.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/17/21 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kellie Harper, Nell Fortner, Tara, Muffet, Joni Taylor, Kim Mulkey, Kara Lawson, Courtney Banghart, Melanie Balcomb, Brenda Frese, Gail G.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/17/21 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From a gay man's perspective:

Walz-when he isn't being a total b*tch boy.
Adia Barnes' husband-wowza
Karl Smesko
Blair Estarfaa-Buffalo

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/17/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gary.
Kim.

I will listen to these two ramble any day.

Also like Nell.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/17/21 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In a notsoevenly spaced Order of Preference:

1. Kelly Graves

2. Tara Vanderveer
3. Karl Smesko

4. Muffet McGraw
5. Jeff Walz
6. Kim Mulkey
7. Sherri Coale
8. Gail Goestenkoers (should still be coaching)
9. Gary Blair
10. Vic/Dawn

PostPosted: 12/17/21 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
The legend herself, Tara Vanderveer, Doshia Woods, Karl Smesko, Courtney Banghart, Denise Dillon, Lisa Bluder, Wes Moore, Doug Bruno, Kim Barnes Arico, Teri Moren, Brian Giorgis, Lisa Fortier, and many others.

Tara Vanderveer is absolutely the legend and I pondered putting her on my list of 5. She's one of the pioneers in terms of what she's contributed to WBB and she'd head my list if that was the criterion.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 12/17/21 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
In a notsoevenly spaced Order of Preference:

1. Kelly Graves

2. Tara Vanderveer
3. Karl Smesko

4. Muffet McGraw
5. Jeff Walz
6. Kim Mulkey
7. Sherri Coale
8. Gail Goestenkoers (should still be coaching)
9. Gary Blair
10. Vic/Dawn

I have a mental block or bias when it comes to Graves. Every time I think about him/Oregon, I think "cheater" (legit or not, that's what comes to my mind). I love his teams though.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 12/17/21 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
From a gay man's perspective:

Walz-when he isn't being a total b*tch boy.
Adia Barnes' husband-wowza
Karl Smesko
Blair Estarfaa-Buffalo

From a lesbian woman's perspective, "Adia Barnes' husband-wowza." Smile

Howee

PostPosted: 12/17/21 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:

I have a mental block or bias when it comes to Graves. Every time I think about him/Oregon, I think "cheater" (legit or not, that's what comes to my mind). I love his teams though.

Shocked Shocked Whatever might give you THAT impression??

PostPosted: 12/17/21 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Muffet, Niele, Nell, Tara, Sue Semrau, KBA, GG (agree she should still coach), Courtney Banghart, Teri Moren, Adia Barnes, Megan Duffy, Doug Bruno

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/17/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tara of course - not just her coaching but her unique sense of humor and she absolutely cares about her players.
Scotty Rueck - the midget has really grown on me. Again someone who has really been into developing relationships with players. And he has improved that program tremendously.
The other one that stands out for me in the PAC is Adia Barnes. [sorry I actually haven't noticed her husband] Something about her that if I were a HS player, I'd really be interested in playing for her.

Elsewhere I have tremendous respect for Geno and what he has accomplished.
Like others, looking forward to seeing what Kara will do.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/17/21 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The other one that stands out for me in the PAC is Adia Barnes. [sorry I actually haven't noticed her husband] Something about her that if I were a HS player, I'd really be interested in playing for her.

I forgot to put Adia on my list. I have every respect for Geno as a coach, but I thought the o.p. was about who we "liked"! Laughing

(e.t.a.: oops....the o.p. DID include 'respect', so Geno's on the list, too) Cool

Last edited by Howee on 12/18/21 10:22 am; edited 2 times in total
blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 12/18/21 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Out of all the current head coaches that have spent time at Maryland, I like Laura Harper at Coppin State the most.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 12/18/21 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I forgot to put Adia on my list. I have every respect for Geno as a coach, but I thought the o.p. was about who we "liked"! Laughing

(e.t.a.: oops....the o.p. DID include 'respect', so Geno's on the list, too) Cool

I only listed 5 coaches but Adia Barnes would be on my list as well. There are so many I could list really (and some who would definitely not make my list).

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/19/21 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My favorite basketball coaches have always been those whose teams execute X's and O's the way I like best; so, sorry, I don't give much weight to the other factors suggested in the OP.

What I like best is a high IQ, smart-cutting, wow!-assisting, read-and-react motion offense, consisting of continuously evolving two- and three-man games. Plus a lockdown, squeaky sneakers defense that can shut down the other team and generate lots of fast breaks.

I started watching WCBB in 2000, so my favorite WCBB coaches since then have been modeled on my favorite MBB coaches in the 45 years prior to that. My favorite by far was Pete Carril at Princeton, followed by Bobby Knight at Indiana, John Wooden at UCLA, and Red Holtzman in the NBA (especially the 1969 Knicks). Only Carril could maintain his offense with mediocre athletes and against much better teams.

The WCBB coach that most consistently maintains the kind of offense and defense I like is Geno Auriemma. That is the only reason I follow UConn the closest. Other coaches whose teams exhibit what I like, at least sometimes or in flashes, have been Muffet, Tara and Walz. I think Muffet, like Carril, was the best at getting a wow! team offense out of lesser athletes.

Neither Pat Summitt nor currently Dawn Staley had or have team offenses of the kind I like.

I don't give weight to personality because I don't know much about that -- although I do like what I've seen of Mulkey's feistiness and strong principles -- and I really know nothing about how the various 350 coaches relate to their players in private or off the court.
PG4ever

PostPosted: 12/19/21 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
My favorite basketball coaches have always been those whose teams execute X's and O's the way I like best; so, sorry, I don't give much weight to the other factors suggested in the OP.

What I like best is a high IQ, smart-cutting, wow!-assisting, read-and-react motion offense, consisting of continuously evolving two- and three-man games. Plus a lockdown, squeaky sneakers defense that can shut down the other team and generate lots of fast breaks.

I started watching WCBB in 2000, so my favorite WCBB coaches since then have been modeled on my favorite MBB coaches in the 45 years prior to that. My favorite by far was Pete Carril at Princeton, followed by Bobby Knight at Indiana, John Wooden at UCLA, and Red Holtzman in the NBA (especially the 1969 Knicks). Only Carril could maintain his offense with mediocre athletes and against much better teams.

The WCBB coach that most consistently maintains the kind of offense and defense I like is Geno Auriemma. That is the only reason I follow UConn the closest. Other coaches whose teams exhibit what I like, at least sometimes or in flashes, have been Muffet, Tara and Walz. I think Muffet, like Carril, was the best at getting a wow! team offense out of lesser athletes.

Neither Pat Summitt nor currently Dawn Staley had or have team offenses of the kind I like.

I don't give weight to personality because I don't know much about that -- although I do like what I've seen of Mulkey's feistiness and strong principles -- and I really know nothing about how the various 350 coaches relate to their players in private or off the court.

I hear where you're coming from but I like reading the "human interest" basketball articles and occasional posts on social media where you get a peek into what goes on off the court. Some coaches I'd never want to play for or have my kid play for no matter how brilliant their basketball mind is (Bobby Knight, for example). Not saying knowledge of xxxx's and oooo's isn't important but I'd say the majority of the student athletes take into account more than the coaches' knowledge of the game when they're choosing where to spend the next 4-5 years of their lives and hopefully earn a degree.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/19/21 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Meier, Wes Moore, Tara VanDerveer, Adia Barnes, Gary Blair, Doug Bruno.

I never used to be a Mulkey fan, but my view of her has softened and my respect increased in recent years.

Obviously I'm a Niele fan, but she doesn't really have enough track record as a HC yet. Too soon also for Kara Lawson.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/19/21 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I hear where you're coming from but I like reading the "human interest" basketball articles and occasional posts on social media where you get a peek into what goes on off the court.

It's your thread, but that's not what you asked about in the OP. You stated the topic as: "Who are some of your favorite coaches?"

I answered that question, giving my personal historical reasons for my preferences. I mean, I like reading human interest stories, too, but that has no bearing on whether I like the way a team is coached and plays.
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 12/20/21 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Tara of course - not just her coaching but her unique sense of humor and she absolutely cares about her players.
Scotty Rueck - the midget has really grown on me. Again someone who has really been into developing relationships with players. And he has improved that program tremendously.

Did you happen to steal my list? Laughing

UK1996

PostPosted: 12/21/21 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scott Rueck and A’dia Barnes. I love the persistence that comes with taking a heaping pile of trash to a Final Four team. Kim Mulkey’s attitude of not giving a shit also brings me to respecting her. I love Jeff Walz’s fuck it attitude of coming up with game plans and schemes. Baylor-Louisville in the 2013 Sweet 16 is one of my favorite games to watch ever. Retired but Matthew Mitchell’s Big Blue Madness performances were always entertaining. He’s also incredibly funny and sarcastic in a lot of interviews since retiring. He did a lot of little things while the head coach at UK that made me respect him. One time they announced that they would be handing out tickets to the Women’s game at a Kroger in Lexington. I was a student at the time and got in games free, but my mom and sister wanted to come up so I went to Kroger. It was Matthew Mitchell himself handing out the tickets. Also, someone I know worked in the athletics department when he was hired, the women’s team’s coaches must have been pretty small and out dates., and Mitchell went to the AD and demanded that they be renovated. He said “How the hell do you expect recruits to take me seriously when I bring their families in here?” They renovated the offices. He also said the peak of his life was Kelly Clarkson saying he was her favorite coach when she shared the video of his Big Blue Madness lip sync performance of his songs.

UK1996

PostPosted: 12/21/21 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scott Rueck and A’dia Barnes. I love the persistence that comes with taking a heaping pile of trash to a Final Four team. Kim Mulkey’s attitude of not giving a shit also brings me to respecting her. I love Jeff Walz’s fuck it attitude of coming up with game plans and schemes. Baylor-Louisville in the 2013 Sweet 16 is one of my favorite games to watch ever. Retired but Matthew Mitchell’s Big Blue Madness performances were always entertaining. He’s also incredibly funny and sarcastic in a lot of interviews since retiring. He did a lot of little things while the head coach at UK that made me respect him. One time they announced that they would be handing out tickets to the Women’s game at a Kroger in Lexington. I was a student at the time and got in games free, but my mom and sister wanted to come up so I went to Kroger. It was Matthew Mitchell himself handing out the tickets. Also, someone I know worked in the athletics department when he was hired, the women’s team’s coaches must have been pretty small and out dates., and Mitchell went to the AD and demanded that they be renovated. He said “How the hell do you expect recruits to take me seriously when I bring their families in here?” They renovated the offices. He also said the peak of his life was Kelly Clarkson saying he was her favorite coach when she shared the video of his Big Blue Madness lip sync performance of his songs.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 12/21/21 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I hear where you're coming from but I like reading the "human interest" basketball articles and occasional posts on social media where you get a peek into what goes on off the court.

It's your thread, but that's not what you asked about in the OP. You stated the topic as: "Who are some of your favorite coaches?"

I answered that question, giving my personal historical reasons for my preferences. I mean, I like reading human interest stories, too, but that has no bearing on whether I like the way a team is coached and plays.

Did I miss something? I'm not questioning your choices; no need to defend them. What I said in the original post does relate to human interest to me but maybe I define that differently. I said in the original post "Who are some of your favorite coaches? Not necessarily based on XXX's and OOO's or wins but coaches whose personality you like or maybe you respect the way they build relationships with players on and off the court." It's all good. I like reading other people's perspectives even though mine may be different.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 12/21/21 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Did I miss something? I'm not questioning your choices; no need to defend them. What I said in the original post does relate to human interest to me but maybe I define that differently. I said in the original post "Who are some of your favorite coaches? Not necessarily based on XXX's and OOO's or wins but coaches whose personality you like or maybe you respect the way they build relationships with players on and off the court." It's all good. I like reading other people's perspectives even though mine may be different.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: