RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rutgers vs. Texas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnbballfan

PostPosted: 01/02/06 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Blue may prove me wrong, but right now I don't see her as the Lynx PG for the future. I would take Duffy over her right now."

I guess what I'm really saying is that I hope the Lynx sign a really good free agent! Surprised

Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/02/06 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am on board with most all of what DTS has said.

Duffy is a stud. She is, in fact, a stud. She may not be Whalen-esque, but she does have the fearless quality, the toughness factor, the ability to take strong hits, and her long range is probably a lot stronger than Whalen's was at the same point.

Before (end of season-ish), I was 100% Cappie. My thought process is, stud PG, grab her, then go for more perimeter scoring with the 7 pick.

Now, after having seen Augustus a couple more times, and seeing Grant and Duffy play, I am sold on the Augustus and PG combo.

PostPosted: 01/02/06 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
yeah, queenie, i can't imagine what augustus can do between now and then (much as i love her) to top what cappie will bring to a wnba team. there - i said it.

You people are always late Very Happy
Shoulda jumped when FREEDOM4CHRISTON and I were picking up people last year. Anyways, the comparison to Coop is a huge risk, but I mentioned it a long time ago and it has to do more with Cappie's killer instinct. Minny has to take her if nothing else to prevent Phoenix from having the best backcourt the W will ever see.

PostPosted: 01/02/06 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
sebibb wrote:
yeah, queenie, i can't imagine what augustus can do between now and then (much as i love her) to top what cappie will bring to a wnba team. there - i said it.

Shoulda jumped when FREEDOM4CHRISTON and I were picking up people last year. Anyways, the comparison to Coop is a huge risk, but I mentioned it a long time ago and it has to do more with Cappie's killer instinct. Minny has to take her if nothing else to prevent Phoenix from having the best backcourt the W will ever see.

oooooooooh, good point. is that chess, or tic tac toe?

PostPosted: 01/02/06 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
sebibb wrote:

oooooooooh, good point. is that chess, or tic tac toe?

I like Minny and they can't do this to the W. Be smart folks, take Cappie off the Merc's hands.

PostPosted: 01/02/06 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So then they leave Augustus for the Mercury?

Then the Merc let Diana stay at the point and use Augustus at the 2. Are they any less dangerous? Is the Mercury's problem not still the post?

I'd be more interested in blocking the Mercury's ability to pick up another post than pick up another guard. It's not as though their present combo of Diana and DeForge is one of the weaker duos in the league.

Pick your poison. The Lynx need to be more concerned with their own team than the Mercury. This is not to say that Cappie is not the best option for them, but I'd try to remain skeptical.

A backcourt of Cappie and Chandi could put up quite a few points as well, but then the need to solidify the wing position is still there unless Svet can commit. That brings me back to CST.

PostPosted: 01/02/06 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I'm Minny, I take Augustus and Duffy. Duffy just seems like an SMS-type point guard. Last year, Duffy played second-fiddle to Batteast, and now that she's gone she has her team in about the same position poll wise. You'll have plenty of point production with Jones, Augustus, Ohlde and Hayden on the floor, and Duffy is a threat beyond the arch. If the Lynx go this route, they'll be a team to look out for years.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/03/06 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
If I'm Minny, I take Augustus and Duffy. Duffy just seems like an SMS-type point guard. Last year, Duffy played second-fiddle to Batteast, and now that she's gone she has her team in about the same position poll wise. You'll have plenty of point production with Jones, Augustus, Ohlde and Hayden on the floor, and Duffy is a threat beyond the arch. If the Lynx go this route, they'll be a team to look out for years.

I...agree! Shocked

Laughing Laughing

Mathies to LA 2013
BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/03/06 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is about taking the best player and taking her off the hands of your enemies. And on top of that, filling a big gap. Great backcourts can dominate, DeForge can't hold a candle to Cappie. If you have the #1, you take the best player, period. Obviously, that seems relative these days regarding this draft. It shouldn't be, but again, what do I know.

PostPosted: 01/03/06 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

y'all can analyze the hell outta this if you want. my gut says all this analyzing doesn't make room for the fact that sms is a former star point guard, and she's gotta be salivating over the best point to come down the pike in too long. if you have a coach who's a former post player, which players do you think she believes are key? if you have a coach who's a former point guard, which player do you think she believes is key? consider this quote from a three-point game last year bewteen minny and dc, with minny on the losing end:

"Temeka Johnson was the difference maker on the floor tonight with her penetration,'' said Lynx coach Suzie McConnell Serio. "She made great reads and found open shooters, or found open post players and we didn't adjust, we didn't rotate."

(courtesy of stever's blog, shesgotgame)

okay, tj being the bomb that night, many nights, may have in fact been key. but i'm betting suzie would have seen it that way anyway because that's the perspective of someone with her experience.

i'm on board with bcbg's theory but, i'm tellin' you, serio will show extreme prejudice in favor of cappie. that's the story i'm stickin' with.

PostPosted: 01/03/06 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But the problem is Suzie isn't the Lynx GM (at least I don't think). The Lynx need to a face of their franchise, and I see Augustus in that role more than Pondexter since Katie Smith was traded. Besides, does anyone else think the whole Cappiegate/Geno incident that occurred last year will affect anyone taking her? Some may think she is a little head case...

pilight

PostPosted: 01/03/06 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
if you have a coach who's a former post player, which players do you think she believes are key? if you have a coach who's a former point guard, which player do you think she believes is key?

Hmmm

Anne Donovan, a former post player, was the coach in Charlotte in 2001 and 2002. She spent her three first round picks those years on Kelly Miller, Sheila Lambert, and Shaunzinski Gortman, all guards. In Seattle she's drafted Jung Sun-min and Tanisha Wright as first rounders.

SMS, a former guard, has spent her picks on posts Vanessa Hayden & Nicole Ohlde and wing Kristen Mann.

This theory doesn't seem very compelling.

PostPosted: 01/03/06 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
Besides, does anyone else think the whole Cappiegate/Geno incident that occurred last year will affect anyone taking her? Some may think she is a little head case...

Mouthing off with Geno actually improves her standing with me. Some other coaches/GMs may feel the same Wink
MNfan22

PostPosted: 01/04/06 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
ryan2528 wrote:
Besides, does anyone else think the whole Cappiegate/Geno incident that occurred last year will affect anyone taking her? Some may think she is a little head case...

Mouthing off with Geno actually improves her standing with me. Some other coaches/GMs may feel the same Wink

I 2nd that Mr. Green

PostPosted: 01/04/06 2:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll wager the beer that womens_hoops was saving for Kristi Harrower that when it's all said and done, Phoenix winds up with neither Augustus nor Pondexter...

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/04/06 6:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
I'll wager the beer that womens_hoops was saving for Kristi Harrower that when it's all said and done, Phoenix winds up with neither Augustus nor Pondexter...

i will take that bet, provided that if KH takes up my offer, she gets first dibs on the beer (at which point i'll sub in another beer).

sambista

PostPosted: 01/04/06 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sebibb wrote:
if you have a coach who's a former post player, which players do you think she believes are key? if you have a coach who's a former point guard, which player do you think she believes is key?

Hmmm

Anne Donovan, a former post player, was the coach in Charlotte in 2001 and 2002. She spent her three first round picks those years on Kelly Miller, Sheila Lambert, and Shaunzinski Gortman, all guards. In Seattle she's drafted Jung Sun-min and Tanisha Wright as first rounders.

SMS, a former guard, has spent her picks on posts Vanessa Hayden & Nicole Ohlde and wing Kristen Mann.

This theory doesn't seem very compelling.

wull, yeah, when you pick out only that part of what i said to apply to your own facts. live by the stats, die by them, pilight. you rarely leave any room for emotion, gut feelings, pure whim. my opinion wasn't painted in the narrow black-and-white borders that you prefer. i also talked about sms salivating over cappie (vicarious thrill, my theory) because of her passion (my perception). the idea is that, all else being equal, she would lean toward cappie over augustus because of her own background. anne donovan's not even in this picture. none of the players you've mentioned was someone whom anyone would salivate over. we're talking about a really tough choice, not whom to pick among some okie-dokes. but if you've got two stellar choices, as we have coming up, where coaches may be torn, yeah - i think the former point guard will vote with her heart and rationalize that one of the most talented point guards to come down the pike is the better choice. and if donovan had this close a call, i think she would lean toward the post player, for the same reason.

PostPosted: 01/04/06 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
Keegan wrote:
ryan2528 wrote:

I 2nd that Mr. Green

anyone that thought Cappie was a head case thought so well before that incident. Her scholastic/disappearances have led to some speculation in the past, but she certainly appears to be in great shape, on a good citizenship roll, and has taken a big leadership role. She has earned her spot at/near the top of the draft.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/04/06 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
MNfan22 wrote:
Keegan wrote:
ryan2528 wrote:

I 2nd that Mr. Green

anyone that thought Cappie was a head case thought so well before that incident. Her scholastic/disappearances have led to some speculation in the past, but she certainly appears to be in great shape, on a good citizenship roll, and has taken a big leadership role. She has earned her spot at/near the top of the draft.

DTS, is that YOU??? Shocked
What's next, CVS for President? Twisted Evil
Pilight, Ann Donovan is such a bad "drafter" (dunno if that is a word), it's not even funny. All one needs to do is take a look at the list you mentioned. If she was dumb enough to ignore Catchings and Riley in 2001, that's a whole other story. And she did choose TSB in that draft Wink
Also, SMS had what many coaches dream about, the chance to pick twin towers in a draft full of talent. And she did try to move mountains to get Whalen, a PG. She just didn't go the whole 9 yards because she is not crazy. Facts are only useful when they have a context attached to them.

PostPosted: 01/04/06 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
DTS, is that YOU??? Shocked
What's next, CVS for President? Twisted Evil

No, I don't think we'll be going that far! Wink

No one has wanted to believe me when I say I have nothing against Cappie, and think she's talented. CVS I don't like, but mostly because I think she underutilizes her talented players, and because she passes the buck when things don't go her way (IMO).

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 01/04/06 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, mouthing off to Geno was a hallmark moment. Razz Arrow

Laughing

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/04/06 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Yep, mouthing off to Geno was a hallmark moment. Razz Arrow

Laughing

Glad to see with a new year you're still trying to be an asshole Admiral. Rolling Eyes Some things will never change. Maybe we should bring ESPN's moderator over here for you too.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 01/04/06 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:

MNfan22 wrote:
I 2nd that Mr. Green

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Yep, mouthing off to Geno was a hallmark moment. Razz

Funny how other people can say it just fine, but when I say it, dmts breaks out the language that he needs to watch. Rolling Eyes Some things will never change.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/04/06 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Keegan wrote:

MNfan22 wrote:
I 2nd that Mr. Green

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Yep, mouthing off to Geno was a hallmark moment. Razz

Funny how other people can say it just fine, but when I say it, dmts breaks out the language that he needs to watch. Rolling Eyes Some things will never change.

They were responded to, and the person who quotes everyone in the world doesn't bother to show he's responding to them??? You're full of it Admrial, and you're fooling no one. You put your comment in after I said I had no issue with Cappie. You're such a two faced slime.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 01/04/06 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Dsmts needs a tissue. Some things will never change. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Go Cappie Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: