RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 South Carolina vs #2 Connecticut - 11/22/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well Juhasz is now playing the Amihere role.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shoot it, Azzi!

Juhasz useless. Dopey fouls, TO's, can't score. Can DeBerry be much worse?
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
The offense has gone MIA. Haven't scored in over four minutes. Where's the ball movement and assertiveness from the first half?

We look tired and done. The lack of using the bench may well be rearing its head.

Bueckers hasn't scored in 9 minutes. What happened to all these other superstars?

What other superstars?

Oh, I don't know. How about Christyn Williams to start? How many #1 or top 5 recruits do you need?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the lack of a bench is hurting the Huskies.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Geno's lack of development of a bench is hurting the Huskies. 4 minutes left in the fourth quarter is not the time to give Paige a rest. Rolling Eyes

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Bueckers hasn't scored in 9 minutes. What happened to all these other superstars?

What other superstars?

Oh, I don't know. How about Christyn Williams to start? How many #1 or top 5 recruits do you need?

Confused You'd call Williams a superstar? Do you consider Sam Brunelle a superstar, too, because she was ranked #6 in her class?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Decent game for a while, but UConn plays the second half with a cringing whimper not a bang. The better balanced, more powerful and better defensive team won -- deservedly so.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Geno's lack of development of a bench is hurting the Huskies. 4 minutes left in the fourth quarter is not the time to give Paige a rest. Rolling Eyes

About midway through the 3rd Q, UConn visibly ran out of gas. Obviously playing 3 straight days is not optimal for them

How can you be so reliant on one player and so thin in depth considering the number of HS stars UConn brings in annually? Plus all the recent transfers?

pilight

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno's never been much on bench development. On the best team he ever had they called the reserves "slugs".

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
I expect UConn to look timid and uncertain on offense and get outrebounded by 10...Paige will show up, but she won't be enough this year, and South Carolina will win by 12 after jumping out to an early lead and playing pretty close the rest of the way.

I hope I'm wrong.

Well, I was wrong about the early lead. Otherwise this pretty much sums it up.

What a pathetic 4th quarter. Congrats to SC for sticking it out when UConn was playing well in the first half. There's a lot of talent on both teams, and Dawn used hers better.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What other superstars?

Confused You'd call Williams a superstar? Do you consider Sam Brunelle a superstar, too, because she was ranked #6 in her class?

Nice try, but Williams was Naismith POY, Gatorade POY, USA Today POY, and uniformly considered the prize of her HS class. And is a four year starter at UConn. Hardly the same thing, are they?

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Nice try, but Williams was Naismith POY, Gatorade POY, USA Today POY, and uniformly considered the prize of her HS class. And is a four year starter at UConn. Hardly the same thing, are they?

You wanted to cherry pick high school recruiting rankings, so I just cherry picked them back to you. Not all classes are equal. If you follow the WNBA, draft classes will tell you that.

But we are in agreement about the real issue (your earlier post): "How can you be so reliant on one player and so thin in depth considering the number of HS stars UConn brings in annually? Plus all the recent transfers?" The real blame is on Geno and the staff.

Last edited by singinerd54 on 11/22/21 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/22/21 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Total collapse by UConn in the 4th Quarter. Their only points were on a 3 by Westbrook. Otherwise, zilch.

Gave up 19 offensive rebounds. Overall, got outrebounded by 17 and turned the ball over 5 more times. USC capitalized with 17 more field goal attempts.

PostPosted: 11/22/21 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

You wanted to cherry pick high school recruiting rankings, so I just cherry picked them back to you. Not all classes are equal. If you follow the WNBA, draft classes will tell you that.

But we are in agreement about the real issue (your earlier post): "How can you be so reliant on one player and so thin in depth considering the number of HS stars UConn brings in annually? Plus all the recent transfers?" The real blame is on Geno and the staff.

OK, just to eliminate "cherry picking" claims, UConn has 3 of the last 4 #1 Hoopgurlz recruits on its roster, plus Westbrook was a #2 `and Nelson-Ododa a 5. So lack of incoming talent is not the issue. And since you want to drag in Notre Dame, I'm not sure they've EVER had the #1 recruit.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 11/22/21 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/22/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Round 1 is in the books, and to the South Carolina Gamecocks.

#1 Gamecocks win 73-57 over #2 Connecticut! The Gamecocks (6-0) are your Battle 4 Atlantis Champions!!

The Gamecocks outscored the Huskies 16-3 in the final period, and 40-21 after halftime. They forced the Huskies into 1-10 shooting for the final period, with 4 turnovers over the final 5 minutes of play.

Aliyah Boston led the Gamecocks with 22 pts on 10-19 shooting, with 15 rebounds, and 1 block. The super guards of the Gamecocks stepped up today - Zia Cooke scored 17 pts on 8-17 shooting, with 3 steals. Destanni Henderson scored 15 pts on 5-15 shooting, with 6 assists, 4 rebounds, and 6 steals. Kamilla Cardoso added 4 pts on 2-2 scoring, with 6 rebounds and 1 block in 12 minutes. Destiny Littleton added 6 pts on 2-4 from behind the 3-pt. line, with 2 rebounds and 1 steal.

Paige Bueckers led the Huskies as expected with 19 pts on 8-19 shooting, with 7 assists, and 5 boards. Evina Westbrook added 14 pts on 4-6 shooting. The Huskies fall to 3-1 on the season.

Both teams will replay this later in the season, as they both are scheduled to meet in Colonial Life Arena in late January, as part of their regular home-and-home match-up. I'm sure that game will once again be in front of a sellout Gamecock crowd......

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/22/21 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
First time watching Fudd. She doesn't create much and she's a step behind whenever the offensive player drives to the hoop (albeit this is against South Carolina), but I hope she isn't just a catch and shoot type player in big games.

Paige BUCKETS doing her thing. So impressed everytime I watch her.

Also, don't understand why Saniya Rivers barely plays for South Carolina and has yet to check in here. She was the #2 or #3 recruit and hasn't gotten much PT at all this season.

Rivers has gotten beat up in practice to start the season. She had her nose broken during practice, and was in concussion protocol, which explains the face mask she wears while playing. Her first appearance this season didn't come until our first game against Buffalo in this tournament, so she's a little behind the rest of her team in getting up to collegiate speed.

Further, during pre-season pressers, Dawn Staley stated that while she's been the most impressed with Rivers' offense out of all the freshmen, her defense is behind and lagging where Staley wants her players to be, so even without the injury, we were expecting Rivers to be brought along slowly until her defense improved.....

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 11/22/21 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
I expect UConn to look timid and uncertain on offense and get outrebounded by 10. I expect Azzi and Paige will be the only two looking to shoot, and particularly given her performance yesterday, Azzi will be locked down and struggle to get good shots. Paige will show up, but she won't be enough this year, and South Carolina will win by 12 after jumping out to an early lead and playing pretty close the rest of the way.

I hope I'm wrong.

Any ideas for this week's powerball? Laughing Shocked

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 11/22/21 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
The offense has gone MIA. Haven't scored in over four minutes. Where's the ball movement and assertiveness from the first half?

We look tired and done. The lack of using the bench may well be rearing its head.

What other superstars?

True.

PostPosted: 11/22/21 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn outscored USC only in the first half, mostly the first quarter, when the slightly discombobulated Gamecocks were turning the ball over and letting UConn get into a transition game.

Just like last year, once UConn is forced into a half court game, their offense efficiency and sophistication plummets. If the other team clogs the middle and can outrebound UConn, the Huskies struggle and can be toast.

Did we ever once today see a UConn big get back-to-the-basket position and score with a post move over a defender? I think never. Or even a putback? The few post player baskets came via passes from off pick & rolls or dribble penetration passes/lobs, usually from Bueckers.

Geno said this freshman class was perhaps his best ever because of the shooting talent and the ability for all four to play multiple positions in his read and react offense. Thus, the Husky Nation had hallucinations of legions of scoring wizards pouring off the bench, with UConn's second team probably rankable in the top ten.

In reality, four games in, one predicted multipositional sharpshooter (Poffenbarger) has transferred, another similarly described player has gotten few minutes and has shot unsharply if at all (DuCharme), the highly touted 6-5 big has not gotten into any game yet (DeBerry), and the super-hyped player of the decade?/century?/millennium? has played one good game, solely as a a catch and shoot arc hanger.

ONO, Williams, Westbrook and Juhasz will all likely be gone next season, and Bueckers the season after, so this season may be Geno's last chance for a NC hurrah. But the mighty Gamecocks, Terps and Attila the Tree continue their relentless recruiting and play, and stand athwart UConn's future.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 11/22/21 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

About midway through the 3rd Q, UConn visibly ran out of gas. Obviously playing 3 straight days is not optimal for them

How can you be so reliant on one player and so thin in depth considering the number of HS stars UConn brings in annually? Plus all the recent transfers?

True.

PostPosted: 11/22/21 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What other superstars?

👍

PostPosted: 11/22/21 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
OK, just to eliminate "cherry picking" claims, UConn has 3 of the last 4 #1 Hoopgurlz recruits on its roster, plus Westbrook was a #2 `and Nelson-Ododa a 5. So lack of incoming talent is not the issue. And since you want to drag in Notre Dame, I'm not sure they've EVER had the #1 recruit.

As I said in my last post, we're in agreement. The issue is the lack of development, though perhaps more so, the lack of proper usage of players and schemes developed by Geno and the staff.

Then again, we are playing a team loaded with top talent themselves: according to ESPN, Henderson was 6th in 2018; Boston 3rd, Cooke 4th, Amihere 10th, and Beal 11th in 2019; Cardoso 5th in 2020; and Johnson 2nd, Rivers 3rd, Feagin 4th, and Hall 14th in 2021. It's not like UConn is completely underachieving with their talent. But they do tend to underperform in big moments since Stewie, Tuck, and Jefferson graduated.

Like team rankings (and probably more so), individual rankings are subject to opinion, and we could look across recruiting rankings to see how other services ranked them (this has been enough of a rabbit hole that I'm not going to do that). As ClayK likes to point out, it's a challenging business to determine when an athlete will stop peaking. The inexact science of rankings means that emphasizing the #1 ranking is misguided in many classes. Sometimes, of course, there is a clear #1 (Parker, Stewart, etc.). There are many classes where the #1 recruit does not become the best college player. I think it's interesting to think about what are the most reliable ways to evaluate relative talent: ranking number? Making USAB teams? Starting on those teams? High school awards? Nothing will be perfect.

Since 2009 (Diggins graduating year), Notre Dame has not had the ESPN's #1 recruit. By my count, you've had five Top 5 recruits and another four in the Top 11. (Before you come for me, UConn has had more top tier recruits, I know. I did not count how many. We have gotten more top tier talent than anyone. Muffet was a better coach than Geno. Both are damn good.)

Despite their "low" rankings, Boley (5th), Turner (2nd), and Diggins (3rd) all won the Gatorade POY. Diggins and Young (11th) won Naismith. Reimer (4th) won Morgan Wootten National Player of the Year (not being able to keep your talent, a la Delle Donne [whom I know left for family reasons], is a different issue). I could not easily find a recent reliable history of USA Today, though I imagine ClayK or pilight will find it in a jiffy.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/22/21 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

We shouldn’t have a lack of bench,

IMO the biggest issue is that outside of Paige, the sophomores from last season have disappeared.

Aaliyah needs to be the second best player on the team. What happened to Nika - the kid with the confidence, great defense, and shot making ability? Those two were huge last year, and instead of taking a step forward, they’ve gone backwards.

PostPosted: 11/22/21 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Reimer (4th) won Morgan Wootten National Player of the Year

I hadn't even thought about the Wootten award, but even with that one, UConn has/had 6 of the last 7.

2015: Katie Lou Samuelson
2016: Crystal Dangerfield
2017: Evina Westbrook
2018: Christyn Williams
2019: Haley Jones
2020: Paige Bueckers
2021: Azzi Fudd

But really, nothing before 2017 is particularly relevant to UConn's present situation. (I think Megan Walker won most of the other awards in 2017, and of course she also played at UConn.)

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/21 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
I expect UConn to look timid and uncertain on offense and get outrebounded by 10. I expect Azzi and Paige will be the only two looking to shoot, and particularly given her performance yesterday, Azzi will be locked down and struggle to get good shots. Paige will show up, but she won't be enough this year, and South Carolina will win by 12 after jumping out to an early lead and playing pretty close the rest of the way.

I hope I'm wrong.

Any ideas for this week's powerball? Laughing Shocked

Sadly the powerball is less predictable than UConn against quality opponents. Sad Laughing

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Just like last year, once UConn is forced into a half court game, their offense efficiency and sophistication plummets. If the other team clogs the middle and can outrebound UConn, the Huskies struggle and can be toast.

Did we ever once today see a UConn big get back-to-the-basket position and score with a post move over a defender? I think never. Or even a putback? The few post player baskets came via passes from off pick & rolls or dribble penetration passes/lobs, usually from Bueckers.

I was actually impressed with UConn's halfcourt offense for most of the first half. ONO facilitating from the high post, pick and rolls for Paige, effective handoffs/rub screens to Paige as well. That's better than we've seen their halfcourt offense against top teams in a few seasons. I'm not quite sure how/when/why it fell apart, outside of us getting tired and SC stepping their game up.

Given the players we have, I think it's good that UConn bigs were not going back-to-the-basket to score. It's a shame that none of them have developed a or have trust in a post moves to make that a viable scoring option, though. No tenacity for rebounding, either. ONO showed up, but Edwards and Juhasz did not. It's been a disappointing start to Edwards' sophomore campaign after being so strong as a freshman.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: