RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaching Chairs Getting Warm....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/11/22 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Doug Novak deserve consideration for the Head Coach position at Mississippi State?

https://www.si.com/college/mississippistate/.amp/basketball/mississippi-state-womens-basketball-doug-novak-head-coach

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/12/22 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Does Doug Novak deserve consideration for the Head Coach position at Mississippi State?

https://www.si.com/college/mississippistate/.amp/basketball/mississippi-state-womens-basketball-doug-novak-head-coach

Yes because he has been dealt a bad hand and they are winning games. Imagine if he had Jessika Carter, Rickea Jackson, Denae Carter, and maybe I'm missing a few but they are undersized and lack depth but still look competent.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/12/22 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Yes because he has been dealt a bad hand and they are winning games. Imagine if he had Jessika Carter, Rickea Jackson, Denae Carter, and maybe I'm missing a few but they are undersized and lack depth but still look competent.

How many are graduating or transferring? Who has he recruited? Those questions need to be answered first.

PostPosted: 02/12/22 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

How many are graduating or transferring? Who has he recruited? Those questions need to be answered first.

Recruiting will be the big question, I think. He’s been removed from the region for awhile so he will need to establish connections and/or hire assistants that have the connections to AAU and local programs. This program has lost its luster from when Vic was here and able to attract top talent. In two years time it has gone from being a program reload to a program rebuild.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/12/22 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

He is the interim coach he doesn't really have much of an opportunity to recruit new players with no long term contract. He retained a high school recruit who committed a year or two ago and he added transfer from Michigan State that had some good offers. If he can coach you just give him the chance to hire a good staff to help with recruiting?

Milks26

PostPosted: 02/12/22 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's time for TCU's coach seat to start percolating

PostPosted: 02/14/22 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Karen Barefoot is out at UNCW. https://uncwsports.com/news/2022/2/14/womens-basketball-seahawks-make-change-in-wbb-program.aspx

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/15/22 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Karen Barefoot is out at UNCW. https://uncwsports.com/news/2022/2/14/womens-basketball-seahawks-make-change-in-wbb-program.aspx

It's about damn time. Never could understand why they hired her in the first place, considering that she nearly damaged the ODU program beyond repair! But they're keeping her crazy wife/partner/whatever she is, after Delaware fired her for what she did up there? They really don't care about WBB. (And forget EDD, she was an aberration. Delaware has recovered under a new coach.)

PostPosted: 02/15/22 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

It's about damn time. Never could understand why they hired her in the first place, considering that she nearly damaged the ODU program beyond repair! But they're keeping her crazy wife/partner/whatever she is, after Delaware fired her for what she did up there? They really don't care about WBB. (And forget EDD, she was an aberration. Delaware has recovered under a new coach.)

Well, Karen did have a VERY nice season, 3 years ago.....and Tina, fwiw, really didn't gut Delaware. She was just not .... good. I remember a friend of mine, who is a season ticket holder there, told me that he could tell EDD was doing most of the coaching in games. Razz

PostPosted: 02/15/22 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Well, Karen did have a VERY nice season, 3 years ago.....and Tina, fwiw, really didn't gut Delaware. She was just not .... good. I remember a friend of mine, who is a season ticket holder there, told me that he could tell EDD was doing most of the coaching in games. Razz

Karen's "very nice season" consisted mostly of staying out of the basement of the CAA, which was being occupied by College of Charleston at the time. I'm CAA so I remember it. However, CoC has risen from the depths, so...! And as for Tina, it's not that she gutted Delaware, it's stuff she did while there that had nothing to do with coaching...insisting on certain "counseling" for some of her players, IIRC, and stuff like that. She came off as not only not a good coach, but not a very nice person.

PostPosted: 02/15/22 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Karen's "very nice season" consisted mostly of staying out of the basement of the CAA, which was being occupied by College of Charleston at the time.

Ummm....I think she had them around 3rd place in the CAA that year. Now, what/when/how/why that all went downhill, I dunno....

No doubt she needs to leave, but....why not at least let her finish the season, especially if her partner is the one filling in for her?? Question Question

PostPosted: 02/15/22 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Karen's "very nice season" consisted mostly of staying out of the basement of the CAA, which was being occupied by College of Charleston at the time.

Ummm....I think she had them around 3rd place in the CAA that year. Now, what/when/how/why that all went downhill, I dunno....

No doubt she needs to leave, but....why not at least let her finish the season, especially if her partner is the one filling in for her?? Question Question

No they weren't. Nowhere near. You have to be confusing them with someone else. UNCW has never been that high in the standings in all the time she's been there. And she must have done something egregious to have been summarily dismissed and leave sulky Tina filling in. Oh well, the JMU pep band will have fun with that one. Tina hates them and they know it.....

PostPosted: 02/15/22 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

No they weren't. Nowhere near. You have to be confusing them with someone else. UNCW has never been that high in the standings in all the time she's been there. And she must have done something egregious to have been summarily dismissed and leave sulky Tina filling in. Oh well, the JMU pep band will have fun with that one. Tina hates them and they know it.....

UNCW tied for third in the CAA in 2019, going 18-12 overall and 11-7 in the CAA.

https://caasports.com/standings.aspx?standings=143

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/15/22 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I take it back, they finished 4th (on percentage points) that year with an 11-7 record but it's the only year they did. They were pretty much a one-player show, IIRC. The next year they were right back to their losing ways and it's been all downhill since. Right now they're 0-11 in the conference and 3-18 overall.

PostPosted: 02/15/22 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

UNCW tied for third in the CAA in 2019, going 18-12 overall and 11-7 in the CAA.

https://caasports.com/standings.aspx?standings=143

How dare you come in here with your facts! Laughing

PG4ever

PostPosted: 02/15/22 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

I'm curious. Why is Martin "crazy" rather than say, a bad coach, if that's what you think? And why the "whatever she is"? Would you refer to Kellie Harper's husband as "whatever he is" if you felt the way about him as you do Tina Martin?

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/16/22 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

I'm curious. Why is Martin "crazy" rather than say, a bad coach, if that's what you think? And why the "whatever she is"? Would you refer to Kellie Harper's husband as "whatever he is" if you felt the way about him as you do Tina Martin?

I'm not STB, but I think point one was addressed about midway through this article: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2017/05/16/tresolini-delaware-ad-answered-players-wants-needs-new-coach/323536001/

But I think something might have gotten lost in translation re: point 2, unless the Delaware bench was having a much more interesting time of things off the court than we thought.

PostPosted: 02/16/22 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

I'm not STB, but I think point one was addressed about midway through this article: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2017/05/16/tresolini-delaware-ad-answered-players-wants-needs-new-coach/323536001/

But I think something might have gotten lost in translation re: point 2, unless the Delaware bench was having a much more interesting time of things off the court than we thought.

Thanks, Queenie. And there's this part, down in the article, which is what I was referring to:

Several years ago, some ex-players said, they were required to attend counseling sessions with Virginia Hayes, Martin’s wife. They were done for “team-building” purposes, said Joy Caracciolo, who was among several players who became uncomfortable with the practice because they felt Hayes shared private information with Martin.

Not to mention accusations of bullying and belittling. But the fact remains that she's just a bad coach. Also she has a real thin skin.in foreign arenas--when the JMU pep band used to dangle or wave blue rubber chickens (back when she was the Delaware coach) she would get apoplectic and complain to the refs about it. I have no doubt that pep band members are now looking for green ones (in lieu of seahawks, since those are scarce) just to get under her skin.

PostPosted: 02/18/22 2:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How long is Kara Lawson's grace period?

Duke was ranked 15 or 16 for several weeks but are pretty much in free fall now, losing 6 of their last 8 and standing an excellent chance of missing the tournament altogether. Creme said the loser of the upcoming Duke-BC game is probably out. And now Duke has even lost to UVA - likely Virginia's only ACC win of the year.

I assume she's not on the hot seat this year, but I also think the expectations for restoring the Duke program were pretty high. Duke is 6-9 in the ACC and stands an excellent chance of getting to 11 losses. McCallie only hit 10 losses once in 13 years. At this point, I don't think you can underperform Joanne P. McCallie and expect to keep your job for long.

It doesn't help that Courtney Banghart is doing a better job down the road at hated UNC.

Interesting lessons on schools passing on Banghart for several years over doubts whether a highly succesful Ivy League head coach could coach or recruit at an elite P5 level. She seems to be doing well. Maybe coaching success is a better indicator than playing experience or celebrity status.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/18/22 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I realize we live in the era of Veruca Salt, where everything has to be NOW NOW NOW, but a sample size of 25 games seems a little small to drop someone into a hot seat thread.

PostPosted: 02/18/22 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Duke was ranked 15 or 16 for several weeks but are pretty much in free fall now, losing 6 of their last 8 and standing an excellent chance of missing the tournament altogether. Creme said the loser of the upcoming Duke-BC game is probably out. And now Duke has even lost to UVA - likely Virginia's only ACC win of the year.

I assume she's not on the hot seat this year, but I also think the expectations for restoring the Duke program were pretty high. Duke is 6-9 in the ACC and stands an excellent chance of getting to 11 losses. McCallie only hit 10 losses once in 13 years. At this point, I don't think you can underperform Joanne P. McCallie and expect to keep your job for long.

It doesn't help that Courtney Banghart is doing a better job down the road at hated UNC.

Interesting lessons on schools passing on Banghart for several years over doubts whether a highly succesful Ivy League head coach could coach or recruit at an elite P5 level. She seems to be doing well. Maybe coaching success is a better indicator than playing experience or celebrity status.

Though I was/am leery about the Lawson hire, I don't think Lawson should be on the hot seat, not yet anyway. We'll see how things work out in the next couple of years.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/18/22 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I realize we live in the era of Veruca Salt, where everything has to be NOW NOW NOW, but a sample size of 25 games seems a little small to drop someone into a hot seat thread.

....and isn't this actually her FIRST complete season? Duke sat down early into the season of Covid, so she hasn't even really finished one entire season yet.

PostPosted: 02/18/22 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree on her not being on the hot seat at all, but losing to Virginia (and by double digits) is not something I expected.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/18/22 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Queenie wrote:

....and isn't this actually her FIRST complete season? Duke sat down early into the season of Covid, so she hasn't even really finished one entire season yet.

Yup. That 25-game sample size includes the 4 games from last year.

PostPosted: 02/18/22 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of which of course is a why I said:

ArtBest23 wrote:
I assume she's not on the hot seat this year, . . .

And posed a QUESTION:

ArtBest23 wrote:

Yet people lash out at my post as if I was calling for security to escort her off the campus this morning.

It seems like a legitimate question for this thread, considering the hype surrounding her hire and Duke's fading performance. Unless someone is proposing an entirely new "too soon for the hot seat but on the watch list" thread, which seems kind of pointless to me. It's not like this thread is being overwhelmed with current hot seat discussion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: