RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaching Chairs Getting Warm....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/28/22 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Does anyone really think that Doug Novak will be coaching Mississippi State next year? They have dissension in the ranks, dissension on the staff, and their best player is in the portal. If Nikki hadn't had to step down they might be going somewhere. Now things are just a mess. If MSU keeps him I think they are making a mistake.

I think Novak will be gone. MSU needs to scrub the slate clean. Hiring McCray was mistake number one and it started the avalanche.

I absolutely disagree. McCray is a helluva good coach and had she not had to step down MSU would not be in the shape it's in now.

All I know is that prior to her stepping down, the assistant coaching positions were a carousel; she had several that didn’t even make it through the summer and these were her hires. Then the huge player exodus. Now a Some of that can be expected due to McCray being a new coach, But Novak stepped into a situation rife with turmoil and upheaval. It’s not surprising that he has been less than successful. I could see the school cutting ties with him but this program is no where near as attractive as it was when Nikki took over.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/28/22 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A side note to this is that Jessika Carter is back at MSU and working out although not with the team. Novak has said that she will return to the team next year.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/28/22 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She probably felt she could do something with them. Nikki is a pretty strict disciplinarian. I don't think Novak is. I think he's soft like Holly. It is just unfortunate that Nikki got sick when she did.

PostPosted: 01/28/22 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And It sounds like I don’t want to give Nikki props for her coaching acumen. She had success at ODU. For whatever reason that didn’t translate to a Mississippi State team with lots of potential. Maybe she could have had a better showing of it in year two.

If Novak can take the Hayes sisters and win games like he did last night against Mizzou, MSU may stay with him.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/28/22 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
And It sounds like I don’t want to give Nikki props for her coaching acumen. She had success at ODU. For whatever reason that didn’t translate to a Mississippi State team with lots of potential. Maybe she could have had a better showing of it in year two.

If Novak can take the Hayes sisters and win games like he did last night against Mizzou, MSU may stay with him.

Reminder...he just lost Rickea Jackson. And Mizzou ain't all that.

PostPosted: 01/28/22 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindsay Whalen will get next year with the recruits she’s brought in. But if she doesn’t make the tourney, I bet she gone.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/28/22 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

I dunno....I think Vic's exodus (from a place where a mini-dynasty was hatching) took the wind outta those sails in Starkville. With a little luck and stability, Nikki could have done nice things.

summertime blues wrote:
Reminder...he just lost Rickea Jackson. And Mizzou ain't all that.

Ummm, don't tell South Carolina that! Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 01/28/22 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Lindsay Whalen will get next year with the recruits she’s brought in. But if she doesn’t make the tourney, I bet she gone.

This is why you don't hire a local legend with absolutely no coaching experience. How in the world are they going to fire Whalen and sell that move to the fanbase and university community?

It's the same reason I didn't want to Purdue to hire Steph White (which they reportedly tried to do). It's a bit of the problem the Fever have after hiring Catchings with no experience.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 01/28/22 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just looking at the 3 Big 12 coaches mentioned mid-season:

Brandon Schneider, Kansas: 12-5(3-4). He could manage to make it to next year if they continue to flirt with .500 in conference. However, next year he'd have no excuses.

Raegan Pebley, TCU: 6-10 (2-5). Total TCU record stands at 133-103(59-76). This year was a very experienced team, but have underachieved. Hard to make a case to keep her unless WNIT appearances are your end game.

Jim Littell, OK State: 6-11(1-7). Do they have an extra conference win or two if COVID protocol didn't exist? Yes, but it's just an excuse. His player development and recruiting have both declined in the past few years. He's older, has no players signed for next year, and appears that he's headed toward his worst statistical season in his tenure. Not sure any turnaround can put a positive spin on this year. Gotta at least be having a tough conversation with him when the season ends.

PostPosted: 01/29/22 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

This is why you don't hire a local legend with absolutely no coaching experience. How in the world are they going to fire Whalen and sell that move to the fanbase and university community?

It's the same reason I didn't want to Purdue to hire Steph White (which they reportedly tried to do). It's a bit of the problem the Fever have after hiring Catchings with no experience.

Hiring the local legend with no experience to a head coaching position seems to rarely work out but I think the Fever hiring Catchings as GM is different. Catchings has experience within the organization, including as VP of operations. I think her chances of succeeding are much better than the coaching scenarios discussed. You did say "a bit" of the problem so maybe you see it at least a little different too.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/29/22 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone who is both a local legend and a personal friend of the owner of a pro sports team is the worst possible situation. Best example I know of was Wes Unseld. He was a legend in Washington with the Bullets/Wizards, being MVP for their one and only NBA championship team, so when he retired, the owner made him a VP of something or other in the organization, then after a few years he was made head coach ( with no experience) and had six abysmal years making the playoffs once in a league where nearly everyone made the playoffs, then in order to replace him as HC, made him GM, where he was also a disaster, the team again making the playoffs once in seven years while he made some of the worst trades and deals in sports history. All with the undying support of the owner. And a lot of fans still worshipped him even after running the franchise into the ground for nearly 15 years. But hey, I guess he had a very nice, long, lucrative basketball career. 35 years, all with one single NBA team as a player, executive, head coach and GM.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/30/22 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Novak winning without height and without Rickea

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/31/22 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Hiring the local legend with no experience to a head coaching position seems to rarely work out but I think the Fever hiring Catchings as GM is different. Catchings has experience within the organization, including as VP of operations. I think her chances of succeeding are much better than the coaching scenarios discussed. You did say "a bit" of the problem so maybe you see it at least a little different too.

I don't see it as different at all. Her time as GM has been an unmitigated disaster. There's no evidence of her having any chance of succeeding based on what she has done so far.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/03/22 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HOT SEATS ALPHABETICALLY (Current Record Posted)
Successor in blue

1. Binghamton (Bethann Shapiro Ord, 4th season) 5-12 (1-6)
2. California (Charmin Smith, 3rd season) 9-5 (0-3)
3. Central Connecticut (Kerri Reaves {interim}, 2nd season) 3-14 (2-eight)
4. Central Michigan (Heather Oesterle, 3rd season) 4-16 (2-9)
5. Clemson (Amanda Butler, 4th season) 7-15 (1-10)
6. Detroit Mercy (LaTanya Collins {interim}, 1st season) 0-18 (0-13)
7. East Carolina (Kim McNeil, 3rd season) 8-13 (1-7)
8. Georgetown (James Howard, 5th season) 7-11 (2-eight)
9. Georgia State (Gene Hill, 4th season) 2-4 (8-10)
10. Hartford (Melissa Hodgdon {interim}, 1st season) 2-16 (2-5)
11. Hofstra (Danielle Santos Atkinson, 3rd season) 4-12 (1-7)
12. Houston (Ronald Hugley, 8th season) 10-11 (3-6)
13. Illinois (Nancy Fahey, 5th season) 6-11, (1-5) Sharon Versvp
14. Illinois-Chicago (Tasha Pointer, 4th season) 2-16 (1-12)
15. Incarnate Word (Jeff Dow, 3rd season) 5-11 (1-4)
16. Lafayette (Kia Damon, 5th season) 7-13 (3-7)
17. Louisiana-Monroe (Brooks Williams, 3rd season) 4-17 (0-7)
18. Miami-OH (DeUnna Hendrix, 3rd season) 6-12 (2-7)
19. Minnesota (Lindsay Whalen, 4th season) 10-12 (3-7)
20. Mississippi State (Doug Novak {interim}, 1st season) 13-7 (4-4) Matthew Mitchell
21. Mississippi Valley State (Ashley Walker-Johnson, 5th season) 2-15 (1-eight)
22. New Mexico State (Brooke Atkinson, 5th season) 7-10 (3-4)
23. North Carolina-Central (Trisha Stafford-Odom, 5th season) 2-13 (1-5)
24. Northwestern (Joe McKeown, 14th season) 11-8 (3-5)
25. Pittsburgh (Lance White, 4th season) 11-11 (2-9)
26. Providence (Jim Crowley, 6th season) 9-11 (4-7)
27. Rutgers (Timothy Eatman {interim}, 1st season) 7-16 (0-11)
28. Saint Bonaventure (Jesse Fleming, 6th season) 11-9 (3-6)
29. Sam Houston State (Ravon Justice, 4th season) 8-12 (3-6)
30. Southern Mississippi (Joye Lee McNelis, 18th season) 12-7 (4-4) Stage 4 cancer
31. Syracuse (Vonn Read {interim}, 1st season) 9-10 (2-7) Felisha Legette-Jack
32. UMBC (Johnetta Hayes, 3rd season) 1-15 (0-6)
33. Virginia (Tina Thompson, 4th season) 3-15 (0-eight) Tammi Reiss
34. Wichita State (Keitha Adams, 5th season) 11-9 (2-5)
35. Xavier (Melanie Moore, 3rd season) 7-13 (2-9)

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/03/22 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
HOT SEATS ALPHABETICALLY (Current Record Posted)
Successor in blue

1. Binghamton (Bethann Shapiro Ord, 4th season) 5-12 (1-6)
2. California (Charmin Smith, 3rd season) 9-5 (0-3)
3. Central Connecticut (Kerri Reaves {interim}, 2nd season) 3-14 (2-eight)
4. Central Michigan (Heather Oesterle, 3rd season) 4-16 (2-9)
5. Clemson (Amanda Butler, 4th season) 7-15 (1-10)
6. Detroit Mercy (LaTanya Collins {interim}, 1st season) 0-18 (0-13)
7. East Carolina (Kim McNeil, 3rd season) 8-13 (1-7)
8. Georgetown (James Howard, 5th season) 7-11 (2-eight)
9. Georgia State (Gene Hill, 4th season) 2-4 (8-10)
10. Hartford (Melissa Hodgdon {interim}, 1st season) 2-16 (2-5)
11. Hofstra (Danielle Santos Atkinson, 3rd season) 4-12 (1-7)
12. Houston (Ronald Hugley, 8th season) 10-11 (3-6)
13. Illinois (Nancy Fahey, 5th season) 6-11, (1-5) Sharon Versvp
14. Illinois-Chicago (Tasha Pointer, 4th season) 2-16 (1-12)
15. Incarnate Word (Jeff Dow, 3rd season) 5-11 (1-4)
16. Lafayette (Kia Damon, 5th season) 7-13 (3-7)
17. Louisiana-Monroe (Brooks Williams, 3rd season) 4-17 (0-7)
18. Miami-OH (DeUnna Hendrix, 3rd season) 6-12 (2-7)
19. Minnesota (Lindsay Whalen, 4th season) 10-12 (3-7)
20. Mississippi State (Doug Novak {interim}, 1st season) 13-7 (4-4) Matthew Mitchell
21. Mississippi Valley State (Ashley Walker-Johnson, 5th season) 2-15 (1-eight)
22. New Mexico State (Brooke Atkinson, 5th season) 7-10 (3-4)
23. North Carolina-Central (Trisha Stafford-Odom, 5th season) 2-13 (1-5)
24. Northwestern (Joe McKeown, 14th season) 11-8 (3-5)
25. Pittsburgh (Lance White, 4th season) 11-11 (2-9)
26. Providence (Jim Crowley, 6th season) 9-11 (4-7)
27. Rutgers (Timothy Eatman {interim}, 1st season) 7-16 (0-11)
28. Saint Bonaventure (Jesse Fleming, 6th season) 11-9 (3-6)
29. Sam Houston State (Ravon Justice, 4th season) 8-12 (3-6)
30. Southern Mississippi (Joye Lee McNelis, 18th season) 12-7 (4-4) Stage 4 cancer
31. Syracuse (Vonn Read {interim}, 1st season) 9-10 (2-7) Felisha Legette-Jack
32. UMBC (Johnetta Hayes, 3rd season) 1-15 (0-6)
33. Virginia (Tina Thompson, 4th season) 3-15 (0-eight) Tammi Reiss
34. Wichita State (Keitha Adams, 5th season) 11-9 (2-5)
35. Xavier (Melanie Moore, 3rd season) 7-13 (2-9)

I'll post the rest tomorrow

PG4ever

PostPosted: 02/04/22 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

I don't see it as different at all. Her time as GM has been an unmitigated disaster. There's no evidence of her having any chance of succeeding based on what she has done so far.

I didn't realize Catchings had already been the GM for a couple of years or so. I thought she'd only been hired a few months ago. Even though the Fever haven't done well the past few years, I still think hiring a local legend with no coaching experience as HC is a much greater risk for disaster than hiring someone like Catchings as GM.

Catmomma

PostPosted: 02/04/22 4:51 am    ::: Fahet Reply Reply with quote

For the record I don't see Fahey's job being in any Jeopardy. Two years ago they extended her contract and now she's got three years to go. Illinois has never paid to buy out the contract of a woman's basketball coach and I don't see them starting now. They just let the contract run out and then move on to the next coach.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 02/04/22 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of the Fever/Indianapolis/Indiana, Kurt Godlevske has to be on his way out at Butler. They are 1-17 this season.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/04/22 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone really believe Joe McKeown's job is at risk? I figure he's doing pretty much what he's been doing for 14 years and performing consistent with expectations.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/04/22 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Does anyone really believe Joe McKeown's job is at risk? I figure he's doing pretty much what he's been doing for 14 years and performing consistent with expectations.

He's made 2 NCAAs and 5 WNITs. His most successful team was a victim of COVID cancellation or he would have made another NCAA.

Postseason more than half the time is very successful considering the baseline success of Northwestern's other "revenue" sports.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/04/22 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

He's made 2 NCAAs and 5 WNITs. His most successful team was a victim of COVID cancellation or he would have made another NCAA.

Postseason more than half the time is very successful considering the baseline success of Northwestern's other "revenue" sports.

Not to mention a conference regular season title that season! It's a shame they didn't get the honor of hosting in the NCAA tournament that was canceled.

PostPosted: 02/04/22 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sharon Versyp to Illinois? ARE YOU KIDDING? Who has a death wish here?

PostPosted: 02/04/22 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Yeah, no. Scratch that one right now.

PostPosted: 02/04/22 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heather Oesterle is in the third year of a five-year contract. The Chippewas won the MAC Tournament last year and the NCAA bid. She’s having a tough rebuilding year, but she’s not going anywhere. Her record for the first two seasons was 41-16.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/04/22 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

This is why the "Our Girls Syndrome" usually backfires even in the coaching ranks.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: