RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ND vs Fordham

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/17/21 9:04 pm    ::: ND vs Fordham Reply Reply with quote

This one could be interesting. Fordham did beat Quinnipiac in OT and beat Seton Hall on the road 82-63, and they've been good a causing turnovers (one of ND's Achilles' Heels so far this year. although usually for one half. ND tends to tighten up their TOs in the 2nd half).

ND's schedule, while good for a team coming together, is kind of hard to judge as far as how far they've progressed because it's hard to judge the teams they've played so far. Ohio did return everyone and was picked to win the MAC. Syracuse has an interim coach and a huge player turnover, both in and out due to transfers.

It's the week and a half after Thanksgiving that will give us an idea on how far ND's come, with Georgia and Oregon St. at the Dayton Beach Invitational, then at Michigan St and at UConn (Storrs).

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/17/21 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game's going to be on ACCN, or at least one of the extra feeds thereof. I am very much looking forward to it. The first leg of the home-and-home, all these years ago, was a barnburner with... ah... quite a notable free throw differential.

(by the way, Fordham returns four of those starters and the top two reserves from that game, although as sweet as Vilisi is she only counts in that group by a technicality)

Fordham is very good at taking advantage of other teams' mistakes and generally minimizing their own. While their style is not quite as extreme as Villanova's, you can definitely tell that their coach is a Nova alum. Asiah Dingle is an absolute firecracker, Anna DeWolfe just finds ways to score, and I will fight anyone who talks smack about Kendell Heremaia.

PostPosted: 11/17/21 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
This game's going to be on ACCN, or at least one of the extra feeds thereof. I am very much looking forward to it. The first leg of the home-and-home, all these years ago, was a barnburner with... ah... quite a notable free throw differential.

(by the way, Fordham returns four of those starters and the top two reserves from that game, although as sweet as Vilisi is she only counts in that group by a technicality)

Fordham is very good at taking advantage of other teams' mistakes and generally minimizing their own. While their style is not quite as extreme as Villanova's, you can definitely tell that their coach is a Nova alum. Asiah Dingle is an absolute firecracker, Anna DeWolfe just finds ways to score, and I will fight anyone who talks smack about Kendell Heremaia.

Can I talk smack about Kendell Heremaia just so I can hear your passion for Fordham come through some more?

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/18/21 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Can I talk smack about Kendell Heremaia just so I can hear your passion for Fordham come through some more?

Kene is a cinnamon roll too pure and adorably absent-minded for this sinful world, HOW DARE YOU. She just also happens to be a cinnamon roll who has made her release ridiculously quick during the plague.

It's funny, Fordham is usually third or fourth on my depth chart, always behind St. John's and Seton Hall and only edging out Michigan due to proximity, but I have to admire the sheer chutzpah of the scheduling this year, and so far they've risen to the challenge. Don't get me wrong, I have questions about Coach Gaitley's recruiting sometimes and I have given the institution the stink-eye for its occasional lapses into Bry Cavanaugh's deadname when they discuss his career. Blind fandom is not good fandom.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mabrey's saying "You New Yorkers like to dump on Jersey? I'm going to dump back!"

15 points in the 1st quarter.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/18/21 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Dingle seems to be all over the court and while she isn't dominating the stats, my reaction is that she's the one primarily responsible for keeping Fordham in striking distance.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/18/21 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Dingle seems to be all over the court and while she isn't dominating the stats, my reaction is that she's the one primarily responsible for keeping Fordham in striking distance.

That sounds about right. From what I saw against Seton Hall, she's a dynamo in the power-generator sense.

I just got home, so Fordham can start their comeback now.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...at least we have more than 2 free throw attempts this time.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has been the worst game I've seen from Miles in her young career. She seems out of sorts. Some of that is due to Dingle, but she also just doesn't seem to be playing her game.

And Dodson should be having a field day, but she's missed several chippies.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/18/21 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do wish Kene had been able to save the eight-treys game for tonight instead of blowing all of them on Seton Hall.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Once again it's Dingle who stepped up for Fordam when the ND lead had grown again to 20.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/18/21 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

augh right play wrong player on that shot by Prior

PostPosted: 11/18/21 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm simultaneously flattered by the compliments this crew is paying the Fordham defense and effort and mildly offended by the patronizing way they keep bringing up the talent differential.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the beginning, I was thinking "I thought Fordham was going to be tougher than this." Then later on it was "Oh, there they are..."

Last year's ND team would have lost this game. They would have gotten spooked when Fordham closed to single digits. It definitely shows the improved mentality this year's team has.

Fordham is definitely no joke. They came to play.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/18/21 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
...at least we have more than 2 free throw attempts this time.

When you attempt 38 shots from beyond the arc, you aren't likely to get to the line much. Just saying...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/18/21 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know playing "aggressive" "scrappy" "physical" defense is their coach's thing, and it's going to win Fordam a bunch of games and keep them close in games they ultimately lose, but they hack and foul a lot. If this game is any indication, if they run into a crew that calls the game any tighter, they'll be out of players by halftime.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/18/21 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goodness, did they have a clearance sale on quotation marks?

PostPosted: 11/21/21 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guess this game was more meaningful than I expected. Fordham beat Michigam State 71-68 today.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/21/21 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I said in my postgame post that Fordham was no joke and MSU found that out the hard way.

BTW, an interesting scheduling twist:

ND played Fordham and Bryant, and will play MSU.
MSU played Bryant and Fordham, and will play ND.
The only thing missing for a complete round robin situation is a Fordham-Bryant game.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/21/21 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
I said in my postgame post that Fordham was no joke and MSU found that out the hard way.

BTW, an interesting scheduling twist:

ND played Fordham and Bryant, and will play MSU.
MSU played Bryant and Fordham, and will play ND.
The only thing missing for a complete round robin situation is a Fordham-Bryant game.

What can I say? We have standards. Wink

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: