RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Trebilcock Down to UConn and Ohio State?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/30/05 11:07 am    ::: Trebilcock Down to UConn and Ohio State? Reply Reply with quote

http://www.news.newstimes.com/story.php?id=78157&category=Sports

While Trebilcock declined to reveal which two schools she is seriously thinking about she did acknowledge she eliminated Georgia from her list. She was scheduled to take an official visit to Athens, Ga., after her UConn visit but she said she canceled those plans a couple of days ago.

Trebilcock has been rumored to be deciding between Ohio State and UConn since she announced the schools she was visiting.

"The schools that I've narrowed it down to all have similar things — real strong coach figure that definitely runs their team, hard-nosed, good team chemistry," said Trebilcock, adding academics is not playing a large role in her decision. "On your visit, everybody's going to be nice and stuff, but you can sense it. You know when people get along and when they don't and when there's turmoil. I definitely don't want to walk into one of those situations. Where there's a need and where I can see my game fitting."

Those are certainly descriptions that fit Auriemma and Foster. I'd sure like to see her at UConn next year, but she would be a great compliment to Jess D. for sure.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/30/05 12:28 pm    ::: Re: Trebilcock Down to UConn and Ohio State? Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

adding academics is not playing a large role in her decision.

At least she is honest about it I suppose.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 12/30/05 2:53 pm    ::: Re: Trebilcock Down to UConn and Ohio State? Reply Reply with quote

PLEASE GO TO UCONN, ASHLEE! For all sorts of reasons.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/30/05 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

has anyone seen her play?

is she speed or ballhandling-challenged?

can she create her own shot?

i don't want another mel thomas.

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 12/30/05 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm personally pretty pleased with Mel this year ... I wouldn't mind if this chick came in with Mel's sophmore game.

PostPosted: 12/31/05 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Did you erase it? She played in that Baylor game, I watched it, but I checked my TIVO and it's already gone. Sad

8 pts 26 min. UCLA/Baylor Box

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/31/05 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Did you erase it? She played in that Baylor game, I watched it, but I checked my TIVO and it's already gone. Sad

damn! i guess i HAVE seen her play but i don't remember a thing about her. and yeah, the game's been deleted.

imo, we don't need another slow chick in the backcourt w/ limited handle and limited drive-a-bility and who is a liability defensively. (yeah, i know she has 21 steals and dives all over the floor.)

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/31/05 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
rebkell wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

damn! i guess i HAVE seen her play but i don't remember a thing about her. and yeah, the game's been deleted.

imo, we don't need another slow chick in the backcourt w/ limited handle and limited drive-a-bility and who is a liability defensively. (yeah, i know she has 21 steals and dives all over the floor.)

Depth can never hurt, as well as competition for minutes. Of course I'm also assuming Wolf is gone after this year.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/31/05 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she has as much heart, intensity, and energy as Mel Thomas, I'll take her regardless of how well she plays...

Although, I'll agree. Mel Thomas is my favorite player on this Uconn team (for reasons stated above) but having a guard who can drive to the basket and shoot, would be nice..

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 12/31/05 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Mel. Great personality, fire, and is very good from three point range. I'm glad she turned the corner this year.

What I don't like about Mel (and it's not really her fault) is that she isn't the fastest person; aside from her steals, she's not very good defensively (the amount of times she's left a perimeter shooter open...), and she can't really get off her shot against more athletic teams.

So, I like Mel, but my favorite players on the team are: Kalana, Tahirah, Renee, Ketia, and Charde.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/31/05 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mel is such a good shooter, that..IMO more plays should be set up for her to take a three..(Get her open, someone set a screen or something) Bottom line, Tennessee won't be dumb enough to leave Mel Thomas wide open from three numerous times, (although I'm hoping Tenn plays a zone defense...) so if Geno wants his best perimeter shooter to score, the team has to actually run some screens to get her open. Mel does a pretty good job of moving without the ball, but sometimes she's just too slow to get rid of the player guarding her.

As for defense, well..sometimes, I honestly don't think that the open perimeter shooter is her fault. I don't know what it is called, but Geno runs a defense where everyone plays man to man, except Mel..Mel runs around chasing the ball..I don't know why Geno has Mel do this, because lord knows there are faster players on the team. And I've never seen this defense work too well. So Mel's player is often left wide open..I don't know if other players are supposed to shift over to guard Mel's player, and they aren't doing it. Or, if Geno thinks Mel is quick enough to get back to her player if the ball goes to her..I don't know, I'm just not crazy about that defense.. Very Happy But, Mel seems to really want to play well on defense, so I can live with her mistakes.

Oh yeah, Go Nicole today..I know it's only Army, but it's good to see her finally being aggressive, and knocking down some shots..Really, it was great to see.

marge

PostPosted: 12/31/05 6:46 pm    ::: UConn guards Reply Reply with quote

I know that UConn will be loaded with post players next season. We have two young point guards in Ketia and Renee. Mel is the bomb and she is proving it this season. After this seand other then Kalana we are shut out unless Nicole comes back. If she ends up having a good season she may want to come back.

Hopefully, this young lady will decide on picking what school she thinks willhelp her the most.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: