RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Weekly Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/08/21 5:20 pm    ::: Weekly Power Rankings Reply Reply with quote

I started a webpage. It's pretty barebones but I thought I'd share a project I did yesterday. I will rty to update and post a new set of rankings every Monday. Wouldn't be surprised for this to change quite a pit in the first week.

https://sites.google.com/view/wwwowb/home/college/power-rankings

PostPosted: 11/08/21 6:35 pm    ::: Re: Weekly Power Rankings Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I started a webpage. It's pretty barebones but I thought I'd share a project I did yesterday. I will rty to update and post a new set of rankings every Monday. Wouldn't be surprised for this to change quite a pit in the first week.

Nice! Looking forward to following as you update

PostPosted: 11/08/21 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What in the Wide Wide World of Women's Basketball is going on here?

Seriously, looks good!

okstateguy

PostPosted: 11/09/21 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like every conference west of the Mississippi is a shot in the dark. In the PAC's case, because so much returning and incoming talent. In the Big 12's case, because so much lost talent. I'm interested to see the standings around January to see how they evolve.

PostPosted: 11/12/21 10:18 am    ::: Re: Weekly Power Rankings Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Looking forward to the weekly updates.

Thank you for your hard work.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/15/21 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Week One posted: https://sites.google.com/view/wwwowb/home/college/power-rankings

I combined last week's Big East rankings with the Mid-Major rankings, mostly to consolidate space. Nebraska was this week's biggest winner, moving from BUBBLE to IN; while Texas and Arizona both moved up into the Top 16, knocking out West Virginia and UCLA. Ole Miss' loss to Belmont hurts, but not enough to move move them to OUT. I did however downgrade Rutgers to OUT after they failed to look anything like I thougt they would based on their transfers. Although they went 3-0 to teams ranked below them (which in my system would normally keep a player at their current position unless someone below them jumps ahead) Lasha Petree - who most expected to be the star - is averaging just 3 points in 14 minutes and nobody is averaging more than 8. Since my initial ranking of them was based on my presumed eye test, I feel comfortable breaking my own rules in this instance.

PostPosted: 11/16/21 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very nice. Still absorbing it, but looks useful, interesting and a lot of work.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/16/21 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Very nice. Still absorbing it, but looks useful, interesting and a lot of work.

Thank you. I can imagine it may be confusing to look at.

PostPosted: 11/16/21 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can I ask what your thought process was/is in having Stanford still ranked #1 in the Pac despite their noted loss to Texas? Meanwhile, ASU's loss to Minnesota made them tumble from 9 all the way down to Last. If these are results-based Power Rankings, I'd imagine that teams would move up and down the rankings from week to week depending on wins & losses.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/17/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is great PickledGinger! I noticed a slight inconsistency though. Michigan is listed as a top 4 seed on the right, but in the B10 listing, they are only listed as 'in'. I assume that Michigan should in blue on the B10 listing, yes? Otherwise, you only have 15 top 4 seeds.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 11/17/21 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I was ranking the Big 12, I'd go:
1. Texas
2. Iowa State
3. Baylor
4. West Virginia
5. OKlahoma
6. Kansas State
7. TCU
8. OSU
9. Texas Tech
10. Kansas

PostPosted: 11/17/21 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Can I ask what your thought process was/is in having Stanford still ranked #1 in the Pac despite their noted loss to Texas? Meanwhile, ASU's loss to Minnesota made them tumble from 9 all the way down to Last. If these are results-based Power Rankings, I'd imagine that teams would move up and down the rankings from week to week depending on wins & losses.

Yeah, it's definitely a work in progress. I'm noticing errors all over the place the more I look at it...gonna have to fix a few things.

As for Stanford, I'm not sure, TBH. I didn't move them down because I felt like in that case there was no presidence set that they were significantly worse than expected, but that Texas was significantly better. But I think I need to come up with some rules about how non-conference Top 25 wins and losses effect conference placement, because I'm just realizing I don't. My only rule there right now is that they must appear in the Top 25 in the same order they do in their conference ranking.

Artichoke, good catch w/ Michigan. Thank you!

PostPosted: 11/17/21 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great job! Cool (but yes....bump Oregon up 1, plz! ) Laughing

PostPosted: 11/18/21 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like this a lot. I'm sure you'll figure out a good way to design it once you have more time.

Would be interesting to see the week-to-week progression.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: