RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2022 WNBA Cap/Roster Breakdowns
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/03/21 10:37 am    ::: 2022 WNBA Cap/Roster Breakdowns Reply Reply with quote

A few of these have already been published as part of our team-specific review/previews, but this is all my sections looking at the cap situations and rosters of all the teams. Part 1 today, Part 2 on Friday.

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-2022-roster-salary-cap-breakdowns

PostPosted: 11/03/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas for so long has had too many odds-and-ends assets. Atlanta, having declared its intent to rebuild, seems to need more assets. Methinks there’s a trade to be had between those two teams – not necessarily involving Chennedy Carter, either.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/03/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming we don't have a rash of retirements and foreign players skipping the season, it looks to me like too many teams are capped-out for there to be much movement. I know there are technically a lot of free agents, but where are they all going to find greener pastures? Most teams have enough money to sign their priority players, and then they have to fill out the rest of the roster with cheap contracts. Except for Atlanta, Indiana, and New York, there are no big salary slots to be had unless a team wants to dump one of their current stars. For instance, if you're Tiffany Hayes and you don't want to re-sign with Atlanta, where are you going? New York doesn't need another wing. Hopefully, Indiana has learned they shouldn't add another older player on a big contract. Of the remaining teams, who wants to drop a current expensive player and replace her with Hayes? The same is true with Courtney Williams. New York's GM said that high character is the team's first criteria when evaluating players. I don't think they'd be interested. Indiana already has the Mitchells who like Williams are small SGs -- although in theory Kelsey can play point. However, I'm not sure anyone is that sold on Kelsey as a PG. Again, looking at the other teams, who is going to drop a key player to replace them with Courtney Williams? It's not as bad for Dolson and DeShields, but I still think their offers will be lower than expected. There just aren't a lot of teams who can make a high offer, and even if they can find a creative way to do it, are these players worth the effort? We can even wonder about Tina Charles if Washington chooses to sign Meesseman or Hines-Allen instead. Clearly, there are teams that will be interested in Charles, but how many can afford her? And Tina wants to be on a contending team. If Atlanta, Indiana, and New York are the only choices, then what? Pray for Cambage to stay in Australia so that Tina can go to LVA? Hope that Quigley retires so that Chicago opens up? That's the thing with a 12-team league: there are very few options to begin with.

PostPosted: 11/03/21 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Charles only signed for $175k last offseason (as well as the one before, IIRC). She's clearly willing to take a discount in order to be on a team she believes will contend, and I believe she's basically said as much. I don't see that changing in 2022, but how much of a discount she's willing to take remains to be seen.

While I'm biased, I do think the Storm are in a position to sign one or even two splashy free agents, especially if they're gonna have Charles' disposition (or even be Charles herself). Even if Stewart & Loyd re-sign on the highest of supermax deals, Bird (assuming she doesn't retire, of course) has said she'll take a discount if needed, and I believe her. I think we're gonna lay it all on the line for 2022 because I believe that will be her final season.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/03/21 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, as I'll talk about on Friday, Seattle do have a somewhat surprising amount left even if Stewart/Loyd/Bird all re-sign. Obviously that still leaves Canada and Russell, who'll be hoping for a chunk of that, but there's always the option to spend it elsewhere.

root_thing's point about the lack of available spending money is definitely an interesting element this offseason. Everyone's still somewhat adapting to the new numbers from this CBA, and this may be when it fully comes home to roost.

PostPosted: 11/03/21 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russell was probably a big reason SEA felt comfortable letting Howard go. Letting Russell go now would be a bit confounding. There’s a lot of teams that would love to have her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/03/21 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did notice that Seattle could add a big player if they were willing to let Russell go. I guess I just really like Russell starting next to Stewart. Mercedes can take on all the tough defensive assignments against big people like Griner and Fowles. That reduces the wear and tear on Breanna. I also think Russell is simply more effective as a defender against really tall centers than someone like Charles. At the same time, it's not like Mercedes is terrible on offense. She can give you some points when necessary. I'd be worried about Charles or another big offensive player needing the ball too much and ruining your chemistry. On the other hand, if a star restrains herself and is too willing to blend in, then she's no longer being used to full advantage. Maybe someone like Meesseman would work better. She's a player who can raise her game to star-level when asked but is also quite willing to take a back seat. I don't know. I just think Russell is a good fit for Seattle the way Alysha Clark used to be. Sometimes what's most needed is a role player to be the glue of a lineup.

PostPosted: 11/03/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I did notice that Seattle could add a big player if they were willing to let Russell go.

That sentence sent my brain down a brief rabbit hole of "What if the WNBA had an inches cap as well as a salary cap"

PostPosted: 11/03/21 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still walking in the clouds because the Sky won the championship this year. But, I have not forgotten about the Gabby Williams fiasco. My opinion was that Wade was under a lot of pressure to win a championship THIS year. He wanted all his players available to help win that championship. Gabby wanting to play for France this Olympic year threw an ugly obstacle into his grand plan. Desperate people often do desperate things. He was too impatient to respond to that obstacle in the proper manner and did not make the best deal possible for the Sky organization.

Now that the team has won a championship, the coaching staff can structure a clear vision for the roster going into 2022 and beyond. The coaching staff should bring in any new players that can excel in their system. What the Sky should learn from other teams is to not make your squad too top heavy that you can't afford to pay any quality bench players.

PostPosted: 11/04/21 5:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Tina Charles only signed for $175k last offseason (as well as the one before, IIRC). She's clearly willing to take a discount in order to be on a team she believes will contend, and I believe she's basically said as much. I don't see that changing in 2022, but how much of a discount she's willing to take remains to be seen.

While I'm biased, I do think the Storm are in a position to sign one or even two splashy free agents, especially if they're gonna have Charles' disposition (or even be Charles herself). Even if Stewart & Loyd re-sign on the highest of supermax deals, Bird (assuming she doesn't retire, of course) has said she'll take a discount if needed, and I believe her. I think we're gonna lay it all on the line for 2022 because I believe that will be her final season.

Charles has donated her wnba salary multiple times i believe. So i agree that she would have no problem signing for less with a team to win a championship.

I am not willing to let Russell go tbh

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 11/04/21 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For many years now Dallas fans on this board have wanted the Wings organization to use their young assets or draft assets to trade for a quality post player. 2022 is the year to make this dream happen. There are many star post players that are Unrestricted Free Agents and a few good Restricted Free Agents available in 2022.
If Dallas management does not get one of these posts players in 2022 then it will never happen.

PostPosted: 11/04/21 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I'm still walking in the clouds because the Sky won the championship this year. But, I have not forgotten about the Gabby Williams fiasco. My opinion was that Wade was under a lot of pressure to win a championship THIS year. He wanted all his players available to help win that championship. Gabby wanting to play for France this Olympic year threw an ugly obstacle into his grand plan. Desperate people often do desperate things. He was too impatient to respond to that obstacle in the proper manner and did not make the best deal possible for the Sky organization.

Now that the team has won a championship, the coaching staff can structure a clear vision for the roster going into 2022 and beyond. The coaching staff should bring in any new players that can excel in their system. What the Sky should learn from other teams is to not make your squad too top heavy that you can't afford to pay any quality bench players.

I'm right there with you in the clouds and as a matter of fact, right now, I'm listening to Coach Wade on Annie Constabile's (Chicago Sun Times reporter) podcast, Equal Play: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1JsnIyhaTGh2ljZOTSHaQq

It's a great interview and this season truly deserves a 30for30! Soon I'll be doing a full playoff rewatch bc I almost can't believe they did what they did! Laughing

I hear you about Gabby and was upset about that situation and the optics of it. It definitely reminds you that it is a business though but selfishly, I wish they could get her back but they may have passed the point of no return... The off-season will be interesting for sure and I hope they are able to bring back all of their key pieces. Ummm can we get Laney by any chance? Razz

Richyy's breakdowns are wonderful but my goodness it makes me nervous for so many teams. We shall see!

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/04/21 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two things should be noted about Tina Charles:

1) She didn't play in 2020 and was actually sort of bad in 2019. So, did Charles deserve more than $175k before this season when she signed her contract? Was that really a below-market contract?

2) It's true Tina Charles has played for half-salary or even for free depending on who's reporting you believe. However, the balance of that money had to be paid by the team to her charity. Also, this generosity was within the context of making a large salary overseas which rendered her WNBA money much less important. She did not play overseas last winter, and the winter before that her Chinese season got cut short. When the Chinese Basketball Association tried to restart their season, Charles refused to return. That led to a financial dispute between Tina and her team. Eventually, the Chinese season ended up being canceled altogether. I don't know if the money situation was resolved. As far as I know, Charles is not playing overseas right now.

PostPosted: 11/04/21 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Dallas for so long has had too many odds-and-ends assets. Atlanta, having declared its intent to rebuild, seems to need more assets. Methinks there’s a trade to be had between those two teams – not necessarily involving Chennedy Carter, either.

If not CC who would we even desire from Atlanta? Please explain.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 11/04/21 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Assuming we don't have a rash of retirements and foreign players skipping the season, it looks to me like too many teams are capped-out for there to be much movement. I know there are technically a lot of free agents, but where are they all going to find greener pastures? Most teams have enough money to sign their priority players, and then they have to fill out the rest of the roster with cheap contracts. Except for Atlanta, Indiana, and New York, there are no big salary slots to be had unless a team wants to dump one of their current stars. For instance, if you're Tiffany Hayes and you don't want to re-sign with Atlanta, where are you going? New York doesn't need another wing. Hopefully, Indiana has learned they shouldn't add another older player on a big contract. Of the remaining teams, who wants to drop a current expensive player and replace her with Hayes? The same is true with Courtney Williams. New York's GM said that high character is the team's first criteria when evaluating players. I don't think they'd be interested. Indiana already has the Mitchells who like Williams are small SGs -- although in theory Kelsey can play point. However, I'm not sure anyone is that sold on Kelsey as a PG. Again, looking at the other teams, who is going to drop a key player to replace them with Courtney Williams? It's not as bad for Dolson and DeShields, but I still think their offers will be lower than expected. There just aren't a lot of teams who can make a high offer, and even if they can find a creative way to do it, are these players worth the effort? We can even wonder about Tina Charles if Washington chooses to sign Meesseman or Hines-Allen instead. Clearly, there are teams that will be interested in Charles, but how many can afford her? And Tina wants to be on a contending team. If Atlanta, Indiana, and New York are the only choices, then what? Pray for Cambage to stay in Australia so that Tina can go to LVA? Hope that Quigley retires so that Chicago opens up? That's the thing with a 12-team league: there are very few options to begin with.

I would gladly drop Ty Harris in order to sign Courtney Williams....but that's just me😎

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 11/04/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Russell was probably a big reason SEA felt comfortable letting Howard go. Letting Russell go now would be a bit confounding. There’s a lot of teams that would love to have her.

She's my top choice for us!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 11/04/21 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
For many years now Dallas fans on this board have wanted the Wings organization to use their young assets or draft assets to trade for a quality post player. 2022 is the year to make this dream happen. There are many star post players that are Unrestricted Free Agents and a few good Restricted Free Agents available in 2022.
If Dallas management does not get one of these posts players in 2022 then it will never happen.

You are absolutely correct. If Greg doesn't get his shit together in 2022 this will be my last season as a STH!!!

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/04/21 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Veteran post depth, such as Monique Billings (RFA) or Cheyenne Parker (signed through 2023). Either of those players may want out of Atlanta if they don't want to be part of the impending rebuild.

For Dallas, can the Wings afford to wait on whether or not their young posts like Alarie, Collier, and Kuier will starting playing at a higher level? They haven't been in the League long, but none of them have impressed thus far, so I say 'no.' Meanwhile, 2022 will be the last year on Ogunbowale's rookie contract. If Dallas suffers through another consecutive year in the bottom half of the League with being a young team still a main part as to why, the concern should be her expressing a desire to go elsewhere. This is the year for the Wings front office to surround Ogunbowale with veterans to show her that the team is serious about at least trying to contend. Lay it all on the line, if not for her sake then the fans' sake, considering the Wings still have not had a single winning season since moving from Tulsa.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 11/04/21 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Veteran post depth, such as Monique Billings (RFA) or Cheyenne Parker (signed through 2023). Either of those players may want out of Atlanta if they don't want to be part of the impending rebuild.

For Dallas, can the Wings afford to wait on whether or not their young posts like Alarie, Collier, and Kuier will starting playing at a higher level? They haven't been in the League long, but none of them have impressed thus far, so I say 'no.' Meanwhile, 2022 will be the last year on Ogunbowale's rookie contract. If Dallas suffers through another consecutive year in the bottom half of the League with being a young team still a main part as to why, the concern should be her expressing a desire to go elsewhere. This is the year for the Wings front office to surround Ogunbowale with veterans to show her that the team is serious about at least trying to contend. Lay it all on the line, if not for her sake then the fans' sake, considering the Wings still have not had a single winning season since moving from Tulsa.

Hard pass on both Billings and Parker....I say go all in on Russell or J. Jones, unless CT cores her.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/04/21 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:

I would gladly drop Ty Harris in order to sign Courtney Williams....but that's just me😎

If Courtney Williams wants something close to what she was paid by Atlanta, you will need to drop Harris plus two other players. Looking at Richyyy's exhibit, the easy choices are Geiselsoder and Dungee. That leaves you under the cap with at least the required minimum of 11 players. However, the two 1st Round picks are not included in those totals. Under this scenario, Dallas would have roster room for only one and cap space for neither.

PostPosted: 11/04/21 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

While Atlanta is losing a ton of talent it is talent that landed in the lottery the last two years so losing that talent for nothing kind of sucks but it also opens up a lot of cap room, and as Richyyy pointed out Hawkins deal is not guaranteed so they could waive her and have enough for two max contracts and another decent contract or even 4 decent contracts.

I do think with the new coach and GM they could swing a win now and build for the future kind of team

In theory they could sign Charles or MHA (which ever one Washington can't afford) to a near max deal, bring back McCoughtry on a farewell tour one year deal, re-sign Hayes to a decent 150k ish deal that other teams probably aren't going to match and maybe even poach Deshields with 120K add in a rehabilitated Carter and a lottery pick post and pick 15 wing/guard you would have a pretty good team with a chip on its shoulder

Carter/McDonald
Hayes/pick #15
McCoughtry/Deshields
Charles or MHA/lottery pick (Smith, Austin, Howard, Hillmon)
Ch. Parker

bring back Dietrick on a vet minimum see if you have enough left for Billings, bring back K. Brown if she is in shape, or Mack or just wait to see who pops up on the waiver wire there is enough talent in the 9 above that the last two or three players don't matter that much, you could even afford to bring in a project player or a specific type of role player (Looking at the roster I would guess shooter would be the valuable skill for a 10th or 11th player L. Koen 2,0).

Also I am just picking Charles and McCoughtry as my players they could get but there are other options out there Max out Russell and MHA instead and still bring in Deshields, if you want to build younger, I am not sure Seattle, Washington or Chicago would want to match a max or hefty dea for any of those players I am just saying that Atl is a team with the cap space needed to make some offers that others might not be able to refuse

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/05/21 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players like McCoughtry & Charles aren't gonna want to go to Atlanta right now, not when they're both hunting for a title and Atlanta is simply in too flux-y of a situation. Maybe the Dream will overpay for Hines-Allen (who had an injury-marred step-back season from her 2020 outburst and is still a 6-1 true post player), but other teams will certainly try and acquire her as well.

Sylvia Fowles is originally from Miami, but that's still a ways away from Atlanta, and it's hard to say what she wants to do these days on top of that.

Randy had a great idea the other day about the Dream benefitting from a salary-dump trade or two – if they're really committed to rebuilding, that is. There would be takers too, such as Minnesota (Achonwa), Phoenix (Hartley), Dallas (Jefferson), or Indiana (Lavender, Robinson, or TMitchell – all those contracts are terrible tbh). At any rate, we'll probably see salary-dump trades more regularly during free agency at this point of being in this CBA.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/05/21 2:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the coach and new GM could sell Charles or McCoughtry or other vets on the idea that a team with say Charles, McCoughtry, Hayes, Ch. Parker, Deshields, Carter, McDonald and a lottery pick could be a contender.

It also really depends on what other offers are out there for them they might want a ship but how many contenders will have big money to spend.Maybe Vegas could afford McCoughtry or Charles if Cambage doesn't show but if they max out Wilson and Cambage how much money is left for McCoughtry or Charles? If everyone returns in PX maybe they could offer Charles Vaughn's 110k but even if Tina is willing to give a team a discount that would be a huge discount. Assuming Conn cores Jones they couldn't afford Charles, if Chicago bring back the ship group there probably isn't enough money to retain Deshields on a mid level contract can't see them having the money for Charles unless Quigley retires. If Washington decides to go with Charles over Meesseman and Hines-Allen that might be her best shot if EDD, Clark and Cloud are all healthy in 22 but my Charles to Atl idea is based on Washington going with Hines-Allen or Meesseman over Charles.

But assuming Atl can't get either Charles or McCoughtry, re-signing Hayes and bringing in Deshields and Hines-Allen and maybe Russell could still keep them competitive. I could also see Fowles maybe going to Atl as you mentioned. Holding onto Sims is also possible. Big contracts to Russell and Hines-Allen (reg. Max), medium big contracts to Hayes and Deshields (120-150K) more than vet minimum 90k to Sims might be enough to build something that can compete now but is still young enough to eventual be built around Carter and the lottery pick

something like

Carter/McDonald
Hayes/Sims/#15
Deshields/Dietrick
Hines-Allen/lottery pick
Russell*/Ch. Parker

* Russell might be a hard get if we assume MLoyd and Stewart are resigned for max and Bird comes back at a discount say 195K Seattle will still have enough to give Russell a big deal but probably not a max so Russell might be deciding between a reg max (196k?) with someone else and maybe 170k with Seattle. Seattle might be able to reg. max Russell but it would be good bye to Canada and Talbot and they would probably have to waive Prince and fill out the last few spots with minimums.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 11/05/21 3:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:

If Courtney Williams wants something close to what she was paid by Atlanta, you will need to drop Harris plus two other players. Looking at Richyyy's exhibit, the easy choices are Geiselsoder and Dungee. That leaves you under the cap with at least the required minimum of 11 players. However, the two 1st Round picks are not included in those totals. Under this scenario, Dallas would have roster room for only one and cap space for neither.

She can't honestly expect someone to offer her that type of contract after her latest incident...at least I'm hoping she doesn't 😏

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/05/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:

She can't honestly expect someone to offer her that type of contract after her latest incident...at least I'm hoping she doesn't 😏

Expect and get are two different things -- which was the point of my original post. From Courtney's point of view, she is an All-Star coming off arguably her best season. As far as we know, her participation in the fight was self-defense. No criminal charges were filed, and no civil litigation has appeared. There may be more to it, but neither the team nor the league is talking. So, where does that leave us? Will Courtney accept the fact that she should take a big pay cut? If so, when will that happen? Free-agent negotiations begin in mid-January, and most deals are announced by mid-February. Any player still available in late February is a straggler. Anyone still unemployed in March is in the desperate category. I suspect we will see more people hanging around in late February and March than in past years. So, let's say Williams is one of them. How much of a hit does she take? Courtney made $190,550 last year. Does she go down to $150k? $120k? $90k? Is her salary going to be cut in half merely based on the bad optics of a fight where she was defending herself and resulted in no legal action? It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out for Williams as well as other big name players who may be expecting a big pay day that never comes.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: