RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021-22 Top 25 AP Poll Weekly Releases
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/19/21 11:47 am    ::: 2021-22 Top 25 AP Poll Weekly Releases Reply Reply with quote

1. South Carolina (14)
2. Connecticut (10)
3. Stanford (5)
4. Maryland
5. North Carolina State
6. Louisville
7. Baylor
8. Indiana
9. Iowa
10. Oregon
11. Michigan
12. Iowa State
13. Kentucky
14. Oregon State
15. Tennessee
16. Florida State
T-17. Ohio State
T-17. Georgia Tech
19. West Virginia
20. UCLA
21. South Florida
22. Arizona
23. Texas A&M
24. Virginia Tech
25. Texas

Receiving Votes:
Georgia 65, Michigan State 63, Florida Gulf Coast 43, Missouri State 18, South Dakota 13, LSU 10, Arkansas 10, Washington State 9, Oklahoma State 8, Notre Dame 8, DePaul 6, Belmont 5, Oklahoma 3, South Dakota State 1

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/associated-press?utm_campaign=trending

Last edited by Conway Gamecock on 01/19/22 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Tally24

PostPosted: 10/19/21 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excited to see how LSU does this season, and how long it takes for them, if they do all, to crack the top 25.

Overall, super ready for the season!
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/19/21 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting...all three of the OSUs stand out to me as being obivously overrated. Compared to where some other teams in their respective conferences were ranked, I just don't get it. Voters must really respect Scott Rueck, Kevin McGuff and...Jim Littell?

Glad to see WSU getting some votes. I expect them to be ranked at years end.

PostPosted: 10/23/21 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Excited to see how LSU does this season, and how long it takes for them, if they do all, to crack the top 25.

Overall, super ready for the season!

I feel the same way about Duke.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/03/21 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For comparison:
WBCA Top-25

USA Today/WBCA Women's Preseason Top 25 (11/3)
1. South Carolina (13)
2. Stanford (13)
3. Connecticut (6)
4. North Carolina State
5. Maryland
6. Louisville
7. Indiana
8. Baylor
9. Oregon
10. Michigan
11. Iowa
12. Tennessee
13. Kentucky
14. UCLA
15. Arizona
16. Iowa State
17. Texas A&M
18. Oregon State
19. Georgia
20. Georgia Tech
21. Texas
22. South Florida
23. West Virginia
24. Florida State
25. Ohio State

A couple observations:

The same 11 teams occupy to the top 11 spots in both polls with the order slightly changed.

For #12-25, 13 of the 14 teams are the same between the two polls with Georgia replacing Virginia Tech in the WBCA poll.

WBCA has the Pac-12 ranked higher than AP, with UCLA and AZ being significantly higher.

PostPosted: 11/03/21 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
For comparison:
WBCA Top-25

USA Today/WBCA Women's Preseason Top 25 (11/3)
1. South Carolina (13)
2. Stanford (13)
3. Connecticut (6)

4. North Carolina State
5. Maryland
6. Louisville
7. Indiana
8. Baylor
9. Oregon
10. Michigan
11. Iowa
12. Tennessee
13. Kentucky
14. UCLA
15. Arizona
16. Iowa State
17. Texas A&M
18. Oregon State
19. Georgia
20. Georgia Tech
21. Texas
22. South Florida
23. West Virginia
24. Florida State
25. Ohio State

A couple observations:

The same 11 teams occupy to the top 11 spots in both polls with the order slightly changed.

For #12-25, 13 of the 14 teams are the same between the two polls with Georgia replacing Virginia Tech in the WBCA poll.

WBCA has the Pac-12 ranked higher than AP, with UCLA and AZ being significantly higher.

Not sure how these votes go, and what values are given for 1st-place votes, but according to the linked source, both Stanford and Connecticut are tied for 2nd with the same total votes, even though Stanford is tied with #1 South Carolina in 1st-place votes, and CT only has about half of those programs' 1st place votes......

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/03/21 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're rated #1 on a ballot you get 25pts
#2 = 24pts
#3 = 23 pts
...etc...
#24 = 2 pts
#25 = 1 pt.

Then points for each team are summed.

Thirteen ballots had Stanford at #1 while only six had UConn at #1. So for Stanford and UConn to have both accumulated 763 rank points, that also means more ballots must have had Stanford at #3 than UConn at #3.

In other words, the ballots that didn't have UConn at #1 mostly put them at #2. But the ballots that didn't put Stanford at #1 were equally likely to put them at #2 or #3.

I probably could have written that more clearly but... words.

PostPosted: 11/03/21 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Interesting...all three of the OSUs stand out to me as being obivously overrated. Compared to where some other teams in their respective conferences were ranked, I just don't get it. Voters must really respect Scott Rueck, Kevin McGuff and...Jim Littell?

I don’t see Oregon State at 14 as “overrated”. We shall see.

PostPosted: 11/03/21 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Me neither. Beavs have more length than ever before, and a surprising amount of depth – especially in the post. Kennedy Brown coming back healthy should work wonders on both sides of the ball.

Between the three "OSU"s, I only find Oklahoma State overrated here, but how overrated are you if you're only receiving a single-digit amount of votes in the poll? At any rate, it's hard to quantify the value of a preseason poll anyway.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/03/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

In other words, the ballots that didn't have UConn at #1 mostly put them at #2. But the ballots that didn't put Stanford at #1 were equally likely to put them at #2 or #3.

in other words, there is still an anti left coast bias. Laughing Although personally I think at this point, Stanford should be #3. We'll see how it goes over these next six weeks or so and then have a better idea.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/03/21 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone else think ND is being way overlooked this year?

That team has some talent on it-some of it very young, but how is Texas ranked and they're not?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/03/21 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

That team has some talent on it-some of it very young, but how is Texas ranked and they're not?

Agree that ND has potential to be dangerous, but key word is "young." Still need to prove themselves. But a couple of good wins is all it should take to crack the top 25 and stay there for the foreseeable future... as in, for multiple seasons.

PostPosted: 11/03/21 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

I am curious about them with everybody back except Walker, their two highly rated Freshmen, and Dodson who will help give them depth in the post. But it's also hard to overcome such a horrible season as last year.

Anyway as far as Texas, I think a lot of pollsters just make assumptions based on last year and forget about who they lost.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/03/21 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watch out for BYU as well. Figured they might receive some votes, at the leastest.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/03/21 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Watch out for BYU as well. Figured they might receive some votes, at the leastest.

BYU (listed as "Brigham Young") received a total of 11 points, meaning they could have appeared as #25 on eleven distinct ballots, for example.

I was surprised at the sheer number of teams receiving votes! 27, to be exact. That means multiple ballots had multiple teams who won't even make the NCAA tournament.

A lone voter even had Virginia on their ballot. Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: 11/04/21 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

While I respect the Pac-12, I cannot say that I am a fan of that conference. However, Oregon State is my favorite team in that conference, and it is due to Rueck.

A few years ago he took over the OSU program that had been almost destroyed by one very abusive coach. I was reading a lot about the program back then as to what had happened, who they would hire to replace her, and what would happen to the program. It did not take long for him to do miracles.

This season, with a full preseason under their belt unlike last season, this should be a fun year! Go Beavers!

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/04/21 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RHSibley wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

While I respect the Pac-12, I cannot say that I am a fan of that conference. However, Oregon State is my favorite team in that conference, and it is due to Rueck.

A few years ago he took over the OSU program that had been almost destroyed by one very abusive coach. I was reading a lot about the program back then as to what had happened, who they would hire to replace her, and what would happen to the program. It did not take long for him to do miracles.

This season, with a full preseason under their belt unlike last season, this should be a fun year! Go Beavers!

Yes, it is so fun to watch when a new coach can come in and turn a program around. Love what Rueck has done, and Adia Barnes. Now looking to see if WSU can maintain momentum, and what the new coach at Washington can do. It's not easy when there are already established good teams in your conference.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/15/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll

South Carolina still #1

Maryland up to #3

Texas up to #12

Kentucky down to #19

Same 25 teams as last week

PostPosted: 11/15/21 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TX and AZ make quantum leaps upward! Cool I'm a bit disappointed that FGCU didn't sneak in there - any win over Kim oughtta be worth an extra 5 ranking points. Razz

PostPosted: 11/15/21 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
TX and AZ make quantum leaps upward! Cool I'm a bit disappointed that FGCU didn't sneak in there - any win over Kim oughtta be worth an extra 5 ranking points. Razz

Texas 13 point jump ties the largest in poll history

PostPosted: 11/15/21 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisville still ranked ahead of Arizona might have been worth a mention.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/15/21 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Louisville still ranked ahead of Arizona might have been worth a mention.

I agree. The first poll was the preseason poll, where a lot of assumptions are made. It's not like the rankings are based on anything that has actually happened this year. Arizona should definitely be ranked ahead of the Louisville Cardinals. Now, if that had happened in late January after a ton of games had already been played and resumes built, I can see Arizona not leapfrogging them. But that isn't the case.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/15/21 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana at #4 -- holy sh*t. I'm sorry to say it but my pessimistic gut tells me there is only one direction for this program to go from here and it is not up. Prove me wrong, Coach Moren! This ranking sheds a whole new light on IU's Thanksgiving day with Stanford -- instead of Stanford having a target on their backs, it's the other way around (barring any major surprises between now and then).

Louisville still being ahead of Arizona is... annoying. Seems to be a case of a program who has been in the top-10 nationally for a number of years now having some "name-brand inertia" with the voters. I don't mind Stanford being ahead of Texas because it was such a flukey game and Stanford is still reigning champs after all. Though I'm definitely biased in that I like TVD and dislike Jeff Walz.

Kentucky dropping from 13 to 19 is intriguing. I agree that UK was overrated before, but their only loss was to a higher-ranked team, and usually voters don't penalize too much for that. But it was a pretty decisive loss, plus UK didn't look very good against inferior competition earlier in the week. So I see why it happened.

It's also odd that Ohio State dropped from 17 to 21 after two blowout wins. I mean, they probably never should have been at 17 in the first place, but nothing about their play this week should have changed the minds of the voters who put them at 17 in the first place. If anything, they looked better than I expected.

I agree with Howee that FGCU should be top-25. Kierstan Bell torching Kim Mulkey was one of the highlights of me week. Smile However, ESPN had them at 16 in their "power rankings" this morning -- which only ranked 16 teams. I agree FGCU deserves respect but it's a pet peeve when one mid-major program is tokenized by being included at the very end of a list.

PostPosted: 11/15/21 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Louisville still being ahead of Arizona is... annoying.

Agreed. Let's see how the (more-woke?) coaches' poll rolls tomorrow. Razz

PostPosted: 11/15/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of Kim Mulkey — albeit tangentially now —, (and I say this as someone in a Baylor family) Baylor has no business being ranked all the way up at 6.

They have no clue what they're doing right now. Their inefficient guards are taking a zillion shots and turning the ball over while their two best players hang out in the paint hoping someone notices. Probably inevitable, but disheartening.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: