RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Player Behavior
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/24/21 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I for one wanna go on record as saying I love for this. I love Dirty Diana. I also love Chicago being petty and taking the piss. This makes sports fun and something the W has always needed. I don't think any of this makes either party look bad or unprofessional. It makes them look like intriguing figures in the sport.

I wish that there were more people who also consumed sports like this, women's sports, in particular.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
tfan

PostPosted: 10/24/21 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Who doesn't wanna see the next game between Cunningham and Copper? Who isn't intrigued by the rematch of Chi and PHX next season?

There's a fair chance that neither of those players will be on the same team next year

Cunningham didn't have her fourth year picked up or something (she says she'd like to stay in Phoenix nonetheless), but why won't Copper be back?

She’d like to stay if nobody else pays her more than they do. Is that what you’re trying to say?

Nope, she didn't say that and I am stating what she said and not "trying to say" anything else.

PicknLOL

PostPosted: 10/25/21 4:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Who doesn't wanna see the next game between Cunningham and Copper? Who isn't intrigued by the rematch of Chi and PHX next season?

Grab the popcorn and get off the high horse!

You sure you're wanting basketball or WWE? Shocked Very Happy

LOL, hyperetic. If you're on "the high horse," I'm with you. Smile

😊 Just saying, I don't mind competitiveness and aggressive play. I don't want fights and dirty play. Even hockey finally realized it was a bad thing.

There weren't fights. The only thing even remotely resembling a dirty play was looking for fouls by jumping into players, which, as frustrating as it is to watch, is not even the topic of this thread, nor newsworthy.

Excepting the off-court Atlanta incident which I still haven't read about, all there was were players showing some extra emotion, which never escalated and which they were fined for. The league having to address it further is a little bit over the top. The only way I cared about it was that was I torn on whether I should bring out the popcorn, or get annoyed that Diana may get herself suspended to the detriment of the remainder of the finals.

No, disregard that. If the league does not address it immediately and repeatedly, I'm breaking a door over it! Perhaps even two doors!

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/25/21 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These statements would seem to indicate a desire for more of the discussed behavior rather than less. Its being on a high horse because we don't want needless violence in the game? Then what is the opposite? Crawling on the ground and despising a non-antagonistic game?

Me personally, the object is not to sanitize the game but to make sure it doesn't turn into a violent farce.

johnjohnW wrote:
I for one wanna go on record as saying I love for this. I love Dirty Diana. I also love Chicago being petty and taking the piss. This makes sports fun and something the W has always needed. I don't think any of this makes either party look bad or unprofessional. It makes them look like intriguing figures in the sport.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/25/21 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

You sure you're wanting basketball or WWE? Shocked Very Happy

LOL, hyperetic. If you're on "the high horse," I'm with you. Smile

😊 Just saying, I don't mind competitiveness and aggressive play. I don't want fights and dirty play. Even hockey finally realized it was a bad thing.

There weren't fights. The only thing even remotely resembling a dirty play was looking for fouls by jumping into players, which, as frustrating as it is to watch, is not even the topic of this thread, nor newsworthy.

Excepting the off-court Atlanta incident which I still haven't read about, all there was were players showing some extra emotion, which never escalated and which they were fined for. The league having to address it further is a little bit over the top. The only way I cared about it was that was I torn on whether I should bring out the popcorn, or get annoyed that Diana may get herself suspended to the detriment of the remainder of the finals.

No, disregard that. If the league does not address it immediately and repeatedly, I'm breaking a door over it! Perhaps even two doors!

The fight in question was extracurricular in Atlanta but it reflects back on the league.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/25/21 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There seems to be a variety of opinions on what constitutes unacceptable behavior when it comes to sports.

Where is the line?
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/25/21 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
There seems to be a variety of opinions on what constitutes unacceptable behavior when it comes to sports.

Where is the line?

In times like these, the line is completely blurred. And it's not just when it comes to sports, as we all should know by now.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/25/21 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
In times like these, the line is completely blurred. And it's not just when it comes to sports, as we all should know by now.

Exactly right for sports and the rest of our culture.

PostPosted: 10/25/21 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Exactly right for sports and the rest of our culture.

I agree with you both but since this is a sports group, I figured I'd limit it to sports.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/25/21 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"A violent farce." Well, I guess you can't spell hyperbole without...

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/25/21 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
These statements would seem to indicate a desire for more of the discussed behavior rather than less. Its being on a high horse because we don't want needless violence in the game? Then what is the opposite? Crawling on the ground and despising a non-antagonistic game?

Me personally, the object is not to sanitize the game but to make sure it doesn't turn into a violent farce.

johnjohnW wrote:

What needless violence occurred from Diana touching the refs arm, from Copper and Cunningham getting tangled up or from Chicago gloating?

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/26/21 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
"A violent farce." Well, I guess you can't spell hyperbole without...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Good one. Just for clarification, I didn't say that is how it is now. Just saying its a potential future if specific actions aren't addressed in the present.

Last edited by hyperetic on 10/26/21 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/26/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

johnjohnW wrote:

What needless violence occurred from Diana touching the refs arm, from Copper and Cunningham getting tangled up or from Chicago gloating?

Speaking in general terms of a possible future if things are not managed better in the present. A shove from a player on an official is unacceptable (by me at least). Public brawling other than self-defense is unacceptable. The Copper/Cunningham sitch is not my type of sportsmanship but it doesn't meet my standards for taking action.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/26/21 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

Where is the line?

The line in this case is what the WNBA rule book says it is. Unfortunately, the W can't remember it's own rules.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 10/26/21 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

Where is the line?

The line in this case is what the WNBA rule book says it is. Unfortunately, the W can't remember it's own rules.

The WNBA is not the only one. In MLS, apparently you can legit body-slam an opponent and not get ejected for it. WTF VAR.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: