RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shontay33

PostPosted: 12/09/21 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Hmm. I'm sure SCook would hate it, but should we take a look at Hopkins?

Per the facebook of WNBA Fans Page(The guy who runs it claims he is in the know when it comes to the Liberty and WNBA ) Rolling Eyes He was fired because of statements made during his time with Minn and that other things went on that he can't discuss Rolling Eyes

If this is the case(which I don't think it is) then Hopkins may not be the guy for the Merc. Besides, the Merc owner is being investigated by the NBA for racially insensitive statements and behavior and creating a toxic culture for his employees.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/09/21 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 12/09/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely going to the away games in NY and DC.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 12/10/21 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Hmm. I'm sure SCook would hate it, but should we take a look at Hopkins?

Per the facebook of WNBA Fans Page(The guy who runs it claims he is in the know when it comes to the Liberty and WNBA ) Rolling Eyes He was fired because of statements made during his time with Minn and that other things went on that he can't discuss Rolling Eyes

If this is the case(which I don't think it is) then Hopkins may not be the guy for the Merc. Besides, the Merc owner is being investigated by the NBA for racially insensitive statements and behavior and creating a toxic culture for his employees.

Walt did wear a black trans lives matter shirt on National TV repeatedly. I hope that alleged racism is not at the core of this. I was quite inspired to see it.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/10/21 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want to make an ass out of u & me so I guess I'll put this in the Mercury thread:

Australian Opals coach Sandy Brondello determined to stay in WNBA
Quote:
"To be quite honest, I've been here for eight years, and management decided it was good to have a new voice so if you call that mutual, that's what it was," Brondello told ESPN's Ball and the Real World podcast of the decision.
"The only team that's available is New York, that would be a great situation if they deemed me to be the next coach. We'll see, if not I can focus on the Opals next year and look the following year if any jobs become available. I like challenging myself, so we'll see."

https://www.espn.com.au/wnba/story/_/id/32833407/australian-opals-coach-sandy-brondello-determined-stay-wnba

PostPosted: 12/10/21 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"To be quite honest, I've been here for eight years, and management decided it was good to have a new voice so if you call that mutual, that's what it was,"

... oh Sandy that does not sound mutual. DT's said multiple times she'd leave if they got rid of Sandy. So it's going down 1 of 3 ways.

1. DT tells management she's done, management goes "damn. at least we can get rid of Sandy now" (likelihood: 80%)
    2. Management thinks DT's bluffing. They get rid of Sandy. DT's not bluffing and she retires in protest. (likelihood: 19%)
    3. Management thinks DT's bluffing. They get rid of Sandy. Somehow they were right and DT was bluffing. Now she's open to a new coach for her final year. (likelihood: 1%)

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/10/21 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

female-buckets wrote:
Quote:
"To be quite honest, I've been here for eight years, and management decided it was good to have a new voice so if you call that mutual, that's what it was,"

... oh Sandy that does not sound mutual. DT's said multiple times she'd leave if they got rid of Sandy. So it's going down 1 of 3 ways.

1. DT tells management she's done, management goes "damn. at least we can get rid of Sandy now" (likelihood: 80%)
    2. Management thinks DT's bluffing. They get rid of Sandy. DT's not bluffing and she retires in protest. (likelihood: 19%)
    3. Management thinks DT's bluffing. They get rid of Sandy. Somehow they were right and DT was bluffing. Now she's open to a new coach for her final year. (likelihood: 1%)

I think statements of loyalty from players about coaches are mostly hyperbole. DT is smart. As much as I like Sandy, they've got maybe one more year left to make a run with DT. They are taking a swing on a coaching change. After making the finals despite underperforming, the team has to feel like the only thing that held them back from the actual trophy was coaching or else they wouldn't have bothered making the change.

Not surprised this wasn't as mutual as the initial PR made it sound. I hope Sandy gets in somewhere. NY seems like an obvious fit.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/10/21 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
female-buckets wrote:
Quote:

I think statements of loyalty from players about coaches are mostly hyperbole. DT is smart. As much as I like Sandy, they've got maybe one more year left to make a run with DT. They are taking a swing on a coaching change. After making the finals despite underperforming, the team has to feel like the only thing that held them back from the actual trophy was coaching or else they wouldn't have bothered making the change.

Not surprised this wasn't as mutual as the initial PR made it sound. I hope Sandy gets in somewhere. NY seems like an obvious fit.

Odd that this is the year they choose to do it.

My biggest issues with Sandy were always her rotations, but injuries this season didn’t really give Sandy a choice and we made the finals. Just odd.

The cynical side of me wonders if she’s someone that made a comment about Sarver to the press. Or the other part owners thought a younger cheaper coach would make the Merc more marketable. (If that’s how it works, I mean..I assume a coach that’s been here for 8 years would make more money than one that’s been here for 1)

PostPosted: 12/10/21 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She did include Sarver in the list of people she thanked.

shontay33

PostPosted: 12/10/21 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

female-buckets wrote:
Quote:

#1 sounds like a close scenario but I think that they did discuss this move with DT and others since she is their franchise player.

I do think that DT will take her time to decide if she wants to retire or continue to play matter who the coach is.

I would hate to see her drag herself through another injury filled season and miss several games because of it. At this point, she has nothing to prove and will go down as one of the all time greatest players in the world.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/10/21 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi's obviously her own person, and one of the few to have made a genuine buttload of money from women's basketball, but we've seen very, very few players over the years retire when there's guaranteed money still sitting there on their contract. American players tend to view these things as a commitment, so they usually hold out, or quit, when a contract has expired.

I'm sure she doesn't need the money, but there are still 228,094 reasons to show up in May.

PostPosted: 12/10/21 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Taurasi's obviously her own person, and one of the few to have made a genuine buttload of money from women's basketball, but we've seen very, very few players over the years retire when there's guaranteed money still sitting there on their contract.

You’re definitely right, but at the same time, we’ve seen very, very few players over the years like Diana Taurasi, regarding both talent and personality. Laughing Although, she did say in that one IG Live from last year that she wants to eventually own a team, and though she’s already rich from her many overseas seasons in Russia, having an extra quarter of a milly in your pocket is simply better than not having it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think she could ultimately go either way here with regards to retiring before the 2022 season or not. As others have already expressed, she has nothing left to prove.

female-buckets

PostPosted: 12/10/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hmmm so many different moving factors. It's possible DT's loyalty to Sandy isn't as true-blue as it seemed. Is there any player in this league more enigmatic, mysterious, and unpredictable? I don't think there is.

But her approach to conditioning and training is so stubborn! That's what frustrates me about her the most. She'll make her decision based on how she performs in her crazy 8 hour training days! She's always seemed more hyper than players her age. But she uses up her best stuff training like she's still at UConn. It doesn't help that she plays in games like a maniac but there's no changing that. So she at least needs to adjust her training mentality. Sue needs to stage a training intervention for her or something lol. Get off the court Dee! Someone handcuff her to the bike or something!

But I also understand her looking around the league and seeing how athletic the wing players are and going "yeah I need 8 hours." But no matter how athletic Jewell Loyd is, she doesn't have the decision making/timing that DT has. And Jewell Loyd will keep killing Phoenix as long as Skylar feels punked by her. And that's what Phoenix really needs DT for. Not to chase after guards, but to fix Skylar's head and motivate BG. And she can do that from the bike 😂

I'm invested as a Storm fan who wants a Storm-Mercury final. I'm confident our brand new arena doors are sturdy and DT-proof.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/11/21 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure he's not qualified but can we get that hunky conditioning coach Zach O Brien to be the new HC?

StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/15/21 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/2021/12/14/los-angeles-sparks-assistant-coach-latricia-trammell-tabbed-candidate-next-phoenix-mercury-head-coac/8901886002/

PostPosted: 12/17/21 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pokey Chatman rumored to be interviewed for the head coaching job.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 12/18/21 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's shocking - she has not even been in the discussion as a serious prospect for any recent openings. Her Indiana tenure was disastrous. Lots of rumors about why the Sky let her go after she got the team to the semifinals in 2016.

PostPosted: 12/18/21 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh please no.

I understand giving her an interview as she has W experience but what would she actually bring to this team? I feel like the guards and big she had in Chicago all flourished after her. At this point, you might as well tread water with Sandy.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/31/21 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So.... is Bill Lambier available now?

It would be pretty wild to see him coach Taurasi and Griner.

Evil or Very Mad

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/31/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

They have been a dream coach/player duo for me forever.

Won’t lie though, it upsets me that Becky was available and we weren’t talking to her.

Edit: Bill isn’t even GM anymore..man, he really is available..come on Bill, you know you wanna coach Brit.

PostPosted: 12/31/21 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

Won’t lie though, it upsets me that Becky was available and we weren’t talking to her.

Edit: Bill isn’t even GM anymore..man, he really is available..come on Bill, you know you wanna coach Brit.

I'm not sure Becky would've considered any team other than Vegas or NY. I also don't think she would've been a good fit for Phoenix.

I say get Bill and let Phoenix be the evil empire for Taurasi's last run. Ha.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/31/21 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

I'm not sure Becky would've considered any team other than Vegas or NY. I also don't think she would've been a good fit for Phoenix.

I say get Bill and let Phoenix be the evil empire for Taurasi's last run. Ha.

Who’s Bill laimbeer I thought? Now y’all want a finale run with him ? ☠️☠️☠️

PostPosted: 12/31/21 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does it have to be musical chairs? There's gotta be a better name for Phoenix than Laimbeer.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/01/22 3:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deleted. Sorry.

PostPosted: 01/01/22 4:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

female-buckets wrote:
Does it have to be musical chairs? There's gotta be a better name for Phoenix than Laimbeer.

Likely, yes. I don't think Bill is on the market as he is staying on with Vegas in an advisory role. I was mostly suggesting Bill for the theatrics of it all, not in seriousness.

It seems very likely at this point that Phoenix get Latricia Trammell from LA.

Still, gotta admit there is a lot of intrigue on what Bill could bring to a Taurasi/Griner team. They'd be supervillains and it could be thrilling to watch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24

Jump to: