RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/28/22 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Defending WNBA Champion Sky and City of Chicago to Host Weekend-Long AT&T WNBA All-Star 2022 Festivities

https://sky.wnba.com/news/defending-wnba-champion-sky-and-city-of-chicago-to-host-weekend-long-att-wnba-all-star-2022-festivities/

Quote:
This marks the first time Chicago will host the WNBA’s midseason showcase

PostPosted: 04/28/22 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yahoo!

My ticket rep sent a message less than ten minutes after the story link was posted.

We have a small window to purchase starting on Tuesday before they go on sale to the public. Prices and seating will probably be different.

We have access to Wednesday's practice and a Q&A with players and coaches. I'll be there!

PostPosted: 04/28/22 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
Yahoo!

My ticket rep sent a message less than ten minutes after the story link was posted.

We have a small window to purchase starting on Tuesday before they go on sale to the public. Prices and seating will probably be different.

We have access to Wednesday's practice and a Q&A with players and coaches. I'll be there!

Excellent. Scoop Newsworthy, please give us all the details from the practice and Q&A. Thanks!😃

PostPosted: 04/29/22 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky waive Imani McGee-Stafford and Lexi Held

PostPosted: 04/29/22 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
Yahoo!

Any recommendations on hotels near the arena for those not wanting to rent a car?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/29/22 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:
Yahoo!

Any recommendations on hotels near the arena for those not wanting to rent a car?

Lyft and Uber life lol same here

PostPosted: 04/29/22 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know y'all are from Texas and public transit isn't a thing there, but this is Chicago. They have trains and buses and things like that!

(now with spelling variations)
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/29/22 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I know y'all are from Texas and public transit isn't a thing there, but this is Chicago. They have trains and buses and things like that!

Exactly!

It is incredibly easy to get to Wintrust on the train. I would avoid a car completely.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/29/22 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Huh ? You clearly havent visited texas in a while .......can you say DART ?

PostPosted: 04/29/22 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Huh ? You clearly havent visited texas in a while .......can you say DART ?

You mean the system that wouldn't do me a damn bit of good if I wanted to go to a Wings game because Arlington doesn't want in?

I've never been to Texas and I have been given no compelling reason to change that fact.

(now with spelling variations)
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/29/22 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:
Yahoo!

Lyft and Uber life lol same here

I would prefer to walk within reason, if possible.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/29/22 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Why do you have to go there? Why do you assume I'm originally from Texas, even thou I love living here, but why assume I haven't traveled extensively and don't know any better?

The last time I visited Chicago, this facility didn't exist, so I was curious about it's location and that's why I asked.

Last, public transit isn't a "thing" in 95% of the entire USA, but yes our transit system is not on the level of Chicago, so I get what you're saying, it's just how you said it....It's all good, no hard feelings!

Last edited by DFWub2018 on 04/30/22 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 04/29/22 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would search hotels near Wintrust Arena or McCormick Place. The Marriott Marquis connects to Wintrust. A Hilton Garden Inn and a Hampton Inn are also close by.

The CTA will get you most anywhere. The L has become more dangerous though. A couple of buses (3 and 21) drop you right across the street. That's how I often get back and forth.

The venue is near downtown for sightseeing as well so you could search near the Museum Canpus, the Art Institute, Grant Park.

It's closer to Midway than O'Hare.

PostPosted: 04/29/22 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
I would search hotels near Wintrust Arena or McCormick Place. The Marriott Marquis connects to Wintrust. A Hilton Garden Inn and a Hampton Inn are also close by.

The CTA will get you most anywhere. The L has become more dangerous though. A couple of buses (3 and 21) drop you right across the street. That's how I often get back and forth.

The venue is near downtown for sightseeing as well so you could search near the Museum Canpus, the Art Institute, Grant Park.

It's closer to Midway than O'Hare.

The Marriot sounds perfect....thank you for the positive feedback😎

Last edited by DFWub2018 on 04/30/22 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/29/22 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sky waive Imani McGee-Stafford and Lexi Held

I guess they're going to drag this out as long as possible. If they keep going two by two, they can get down to 12 in 4 more days, then they'll just be one away from a final roster.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 04/29/22 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, is Candace not going to be available for the opener? She has been absent in camp thus far.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 04/30/22 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
So, is Candace not going to be available for the opener? She has been absent in camp thus far.

A Sky reporter confirmed that she wouldn't be playing today but would be in town this weekend: https://twitter.com/AnnieCostabile/status/1520225961148567554?cxt=HHwWhMCyiaHd9pgqAAAA

Hopefully, she is up and rolling next week in prep!

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 04/30/22 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on her Instagram (IG), she's working out with her baby (cute! I hope you can see without logging in)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcQwuZRvR_m/

She also has a new CarMax commercial with Sue Bird!

Somebody on the The Sky IG said she is working out on her own. Neither she nor Copper got on the bus to Indy in the clip posted yesterday.

PostPosted: 04/30/22 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More (hopefully helpful) All-Star logistics for out-of-towners - especially first-timers or not recent visitors:

It registered that the 3-Point Contest and Skills Challenge are taking place on Saturday at McCormick Place. Some other outdoor event is happening there as well.

That is also the venue for the Nike Tournament of Champions and Girls Nike Nationals: https://www.thetoc.org/product/tournament-of-champions-2022/ Participants arrive Saturday but don't play until Sunday.

As it stands now, it seems only the game will be at Wintrust. The two venues are close to each other, and these two buses run regularly between both locations.

https://www.transitchicago.com/bus/3/ - This one runs into downtown.
https://www.transitchicago.com/bus/21/ - This goes to Chinatown, which is walkable for many from Wintrust.

Coming from downtown or Chinatown, the bus stop is right across the street from Wintrust on Cermak. Heading back, it is right outside. The Hyatt Regency is around the corner from Wintrust, and McCormick Place is down the street.

You should plan for a bit of walking, even from the McCormick Place bus stop. The place is HUGE, and depending on where the events are taking place, you'll get your steps in!

Your desire for nightlife options might determine your hotel choice. There is a variety of eateries of all price ranges around Wintrust.

Scroll around on this map to get an idea of places in the area and to see where McCormick Place is (scroll to bottom right):

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8533533,-87.6219462,18z

BTW, if you arrive at Midway, feel adventurous, and want the "L" train experience, the Orange Line starts there (probably a healthy walk). You would get off at Roosevelt Road (this assumes you are staying closer to the venues). Walk down to the street and catch the #3 bus to head towards the venue area hotels.

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/orangett_midway.pdf

I would probably do this. There is also an "L" coming out of O'Hare, which runs down the middle of the expressway for much of the route. However, I personally would NOT take that all the way to downtown and make subsequent transfers in light of recent drama. Perhaps I would get off around Damen or Division and get an Uber or Lyft - you're most of the way there at that point.

PostPosted: 04/30/22 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
More (hopefully helpful) All-Star logistics for out-of-towners - especially first-timers or not recent visitors:

It registered that the 3-Point Contest and Skills Challenge are taking place on Saturday at McCormick Place. Some other outdoor event is happening there as well.

That is also the venue for the Nike Tournament of Champions and Girls Nike Nationals: https://www.thetoc.org/product/tournament-of-champions-2022/ Participants arrive Saturday but don't play until Sunday.

As it stands now, it seems only the game will be at Wintrust. The two venues are close to each other, and these two buses run regularly between both locations.

https://www.transitchicago.com/bus/3/ - This one runs into downtown.
https://www.transitchicago.com/bus/21/ - This goes to Chinatown, which is walkable for many from Wintrust.

Coming from downtown or Chinatown, the bus stop is right across the street from Wintrust on Cermak. Heading back, it is right outside. The Hyatt Regency is around the corner from Wintrust, and McCormick Place is down the street.

You should plan for a bit of walking, even from the McCormick Place bus stop. The place is HUGE, and depending on where the events are taking place, you'll get your steps in!

Your desire for nightlife options might determine your hotel choice. There is a variety of eateries of all price ranges around Wintrust.

Scroll around on this map to get an idea of places in the area and to see where McCormick Place is (scroll to bottom right):

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8533533,-87.6219462,18z

BTW, if you arrive at Midway, feel adventurous, and want the "L" train experience, the Orange Line starts there (probably a healthy walk). You would get off at Roosevelt Road (this assumes you are staying closer to the venues). Walk down to the street and catch the #3 bus to head towards the venue area hotels.

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/orangett_midway.pdf

I would probably do this. There is also an "L" coming out of O'Hare, which runs down the middle of the expressway for much of the route. However, I personally would NOT take that all the way to downtown and make subsequent transfers in light of recent drama. Perhaps I would get off around Damen or Division and get an Uber or Lyft - you're most of the way there at that point.

Awesome....thanks for the detailed info!!!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/30/22 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will offer a different viewpoint. Sure, their have a been a handful of well publicized issues on the trains lately, but I wouldn't let that deter you. I ride them very frequently don't feel anything by perfectly safe.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 04/30/22 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will actually agree with that for the most part. The trains are not as they used to be - but really, what is?

What I'm suggesting is that the likelihood is higher of drama in downtown trains - but it can - and does - happen anywhere and at any time. I live at the far north end of town just outside of Evanston, and a lot happens at and around that terminal pretty regularly.

CTA fares - Depending on where you are staying, I would recommend getting the $5 disposable one-day ticket, which covers unlimited rides on CTA trains and buses, along with transfers:

https://www.ventrachicago.com/how-to/ventra-tickets/
Quote:
Tickets are available at vending machines and can only be used on CTA buses and trains, in the following types:

Single-ride tickets allow one person one ride plus two transfers on CTA buses and trains within two hours from first use.

1-Day tickets allow one person unlimited rides on CTA buses and trains for 24 hours from first use.
Multiple tickets can be bought simultaneously whenever you buy tickets at vending machines.

You'll see these machines at the airport CTA stations. Cash fares are paid per ride, with no transfers, so the passes will save you a lot if you plan to get around

The #3 bus runs along Michigan Avenue, so you can easily get to many popular points of interest like Millennium Park, Grant Park, the Museum Campus, The Art Institute. There are a lot of hotels along Michigan as well, so you can get back and forth easily.

Make sure to get some Garrett's Popcorn when you are here! The most popular item is the Garrett Mix (caramel and cheese - I thought that was crazy when I moved here nearly 50 years ago, but it is the bomb!) There are shops at O'Hare. The closest to the venues is 173 N. Michigan.
https://www.garrettpopcorn.com/ Lines are often out the door at its many venues!

To get a Chicago hot dog, on the Museum Campus, you'll find https://www.facebook.com/kimandcarloshotdogs/ , which also carries veggie dogs! They also have a store in Grant Park. Wherever you get one, though, don't piss off folks and ask for catsup! Laughing

The Museum Campus has the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium. Get off the 3 at Roosevelt, and multiple buses go there. It's also walkable.

Navy Pier is also great and is in the vicinity. https://navypier.org/ Again, buses from Michigan Ave. can take you there.

Not knowing the Saturday schedule (since other events are being planned), your exploration time will be limited unless you decide to come to town earlier or stay longer.

Wintrust bag policy: https://wintrustarena.com/plan-your-visit/purse-bag-policy/

No outside food allowed. Still no cash payments for concessions. Offerings are limited and expensive, but that doesn't keep the lines short!

PostPosted: 05/01/22 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy Sunday! I just wanted to share that the Sky have a huge footprint and a number of great stories in today's Sun-Times issue!

https://twitter.com/AnnieCostabile/status/1520753227058274305?cxt=HHwWgoCznZbA5poqAAAA

https://twitter.com/AnnieCostabile/status/1520772101166223361

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 05/01/22 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip!

Dang, who knew the paper was $4.00 now! Shocked Guess it's been a few years since I bought one.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky waive Lindsey Pulliam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: