48%
 48%  [ 20 ]
Sky in 5
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 41

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/10/21 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So for those who picked or highly considered “Mercury in 3”, what would you change it to now? Razz

tfan

PostPosted: 10/10/21 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
It's crazy to think about the fact that Sophie Cunningham singlehandedly saved PHX from being bounced in that first round single elimination game.

Phoenix beat New York by one and Seattle (without Stewart) in overtime. Didn’t expect them in the finals after those two games.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/11/21 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
So for those who picked or highly considered “Mercury in 3”, what would you change it to now? Razz

Embarassed

Phoenix in 4?

I think if Phoenix wins on Wednesday, it'll go to 5 and be anybody's game. If Phoenix loses, Chicago in 3.

PicknLOL

PostPosted: 10/11/21 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
It's crazy to think about the fact that Sophie Cunningham singlehandedly saved PHX from being bounced in that first round single elimination game.

Phoenix beat New York by one and Seattle (without Stewart) in overtime. Didn’t expect them in the finals after those two games.

I kind of wanted New York to win that game (and possibly the one against Seattle) to highlight the flaw in the current playoff format that would allow a team with 12+1 wins to end the playoff run of a team with 19 wins. Laughing

I am now not sure, should Phoenix win the finals, if this in itself would highlight such flaw (they were 2 points away from being eliminated by the 8 seed, FFS), or would it simply speak of the parity of the league, especially with Chicago also having a far from perfect record, and currently with a better chance to win this.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/11/21 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many people on this board are obsessed with the idea that only teams with a winning record should make the playoffs. The only way to guarantee that every season is to only have the top four teams make the playoffs.
The only problem that I have with the current playoff format is to get rid of the single elimination games. The playoffs should be three rounds. The first round should be a three game series. The semifinal and finals should be a five game series. I believe this format is fair for both the coaches and players. The owners like the current format because it gives them a chance to make additional revenue.

PostPosted: 10/11/21 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
tfan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

I kind of wanted New York to win that game (and possibly the one against Seattle) to highlight the flaw in the current playoff format that would allow a team with 12+1 wins to end the playoff run of a team with 19 wins. Laughing

I am now not sure, should Phoenix win the finals, if this in itself would highlight such flaw (they were 2 points away from being eliminated by the 8 seed, FFS), or would it simply speak of the parity of the league, especially with Chicago also having a far from perfect record, and currently with a better chance to win this.

Why not just eliminate the playoffs and just crown the team with the most wins the de facto champions?

Bouncing top seeds is not a flaw in the format. The best team win on each day and PHX and CHI both earned their way into the final. Win by 2 or win by 20, you won and you advance.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/11/21 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
PicknLOL wrote:
tfan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Why not just eliminate the playoffs and just crown the team with the most wins the de facto champions?

Bouncing top seeds is not a flaw in the format. The best team win on each day and PHX and CHI both earned their way into the final. Win by 2 or win by 20, you won and you advance.

At least they don't do it with the teams that are likely to win, but a single game deciding advancement seems out of place to me in "playoffs". I guess I would like it better if they called those single games the "play in tournament for the playoffs".

Last edited by tfan on 10/11/21 10:27 am; edited 6 times in total
pilight

PostPosted: 10/11/21 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
PicknLOL wrote:
tfan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

You don't see any issues with a single game constituting a "playoff series"? Would you be OK with every step a single game elimination and it called a post-season tournament?

The NCAA does that and people seem to like it

PostPosted: 10/11/21 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Zero issue with bouncing top seeds, nor with the eight seed participating in the playoffs and having a chance to become champion, or eliminate a would-be champion then being eliminated themselves in total humiliation in the next round. More than that, one should not be too concerned issue with there being flaws in the format, since you're always going to have something to complain about and your team still needs to win within that system. Flaws and “unfairness” are a given like imperfect officiating and injuries.

But the way single elimination games are set-up is somewhat glaring, especially when compared to the length of the season, in a way that makes me go “Why? Laughing ” no matter how I look at it. Less playoff basketball, a potentially fateful stretch of the post-season is short and less memorable, if you don't follow the season you get almost zero impression of the teams that didn't make the semis, and in return what do you get – the team that tore their asses for a whole season get beat by the eight seed who was slacking the entire time and won a game.

I mean, no, I am actually disappointed that didn't happen, inviting enough complaints to extend the play-offs. Evil or Very Mad If the format is going to be like that, at least let it stir drama proportionally, please. I was quite content with both Phoenix and Chicago advancing, and they proved in the semifinals that was no fluke. Doesn't mean I would not have enjoyed, say, two more games with Minnesota.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: