Sky in 4
48%
 48%  [ 20 ]
Sky in 5
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 41

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/08/21 10:23 pm    ::: 2021 Finals Matchup – who ya got? Reply Reply with quote

The 5-seed Phoenix Mercury v. The 6-seed Chicago Sky.

A repeat of the 2014 Finals matchup – of which, the Mercury swept the Sky 3-0 to win their 3rd title. The Sky are still title-less here in their 16th season.

GAME 1: Sky @ Mercury. Sunday, Oct. 10 at 3:00 PM ET on ABC.

GAME 2: Sky @ Mercury. Wednesday, Oct. 13 at 9:00 PM ET on ESPN.

GAME 3: Mercury @ Sky. Friday, Oct. 15 at 9:00 PM ET on ESPN2.

GAME 4 (if necessary): Mercury @ Sky. Sunday, Oct. 17 at 3:00 PM ET on ESPN.

GAME 5 (if necessary): Sky @ Mercury. Tuesday, Oct. 19 at 9:00 PM ET on ESPN2.

So, who ya got?!

Last edited by Stormeo on 10/08/21 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/08/21 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to say the same thing I said before the start of the Mercury/Aces series: either the Sky will win in 4, or the Mercury will win.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
mercfan

PostPosted: 10/08/21 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Despite the injuries, I am feeling pretty good about this matchup.

Candace Parker will have to do a lot more than usual to produce against this front court. Griner is primed to explode in the finals after what she faced in the semis.

On the flip side, Chicago could get hot and make it extremely difficult if the Mercury are worn out and the bench gets too short. Luckily for Chicago, Nurse has torched them all season and is out.

The Mercury need to focus on winning this in as few games as possible. Gotta win both at home.

Should be a great series!

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/08/21 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want speed. I want more speed. I want full throttle SPEED! Feet don't fail me now!⚡🛸

PostPosted: 10/08/21 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago cannot guard Griner from the chest up.... They have to stop her from moving those slow feet in the paint. Laughing Also, BG is has a very nice mid-range from around the FT line, somebody has to go out there and try to guard that too.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/08/21 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's crazy to think about the fact that Sophie Cunningham singlehandedly saved PHX from being bounced in that first round single elimination game.

PostPosted: 10/09/21 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone else feel like the media is just glossing over how huge this is for Vandersloot in favor of Parker?

Seems like Vandersloot winning her first title is THE story and she is clearly Chicago’s best player. A win also solidifies her legacy as a tier one all-time pg.

The Candace Parker love is fine, but this is Sloot’s team. Maybe I just think Parker is overrated, I don’t know.

I guess I’ll also answer my own question with another question. What is it that makes Sloot so unmarketable? She has to have the worst talent/media ratio in the league.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/09/21 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TBD

PostPosted: 10/09/21 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Anyone else feel like the media is just glossing over how huge this is for Vandersloot in favor of Parker?

Seems like Vandersloot winning her first title is THE story and she is clearly Chicago’s best player. A win also solidifies her legacy as a tier one all-time pg.

The Candace Parker love is fine, but this is Sloot’s team. Maybe I just think Parker is overrated, I don’t know.

I guess I’ll also answer my own question with another question. What is it that makes Sloot so unmarketable? She has to have the worst talent/media ratio in the league.

She’s not boisterous and they’ve very rarely ever given her props. So to all of a sudden truly start speaking on her the way they should, is a culture shift.

Candace deserves the love, but I do wish more folks would speak on Slooty and Quigley. I’m hoping they get their ring this time and I don’t think any of them are looking to be denied.

PostPosted: 10/09/21 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This won’t be like 2014. PHX is short handed and Chicago can score at all 5 positions meaning shoot the 3 just as well as PHX. Yes BG will have a field day but everybody knows Diana can’t defend a dead man . Skylar will Guard Sloot Peddy will guard Quigley to stay with her around the screens but Diana Guarding Copper is a disaster waiting to happen. Copper can defend DT may still have some good games in this series but Copper does not stop she will force Diana to play both ends or get ran off the floor. With all this being said I’m rooting for Princess to get number 2 but I don’t see it happening. PHX in 4 maybe 5.

PostPosted: 10/09/21 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guarding Copper is a serious issue for Phoenix. She torched Bonner in Chicago and the Merc don't have a perimeter defender that good. That was Nurse's job.

PostPosted: 10/09/21 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Guarding Copper is a serious issue for Phoenix. She torched Bonner in Chicago and the Merc don't have a perimeter defender that good. That was Nurse's job.

You don't think Peddy can do a decent job on Copper?

It would probably be a mess offensively, and we certainly don't have the depth to do it for long, but I'd be curious to see how (likely) much better a defensive line up with Turner at the 3 would be.

Do we know Cunningham's status or rumored availability?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/09/21 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
pilight wrote:

It would probably be a mess offensively, and we certainly don't have the depth to do it for long, but I'd be curious to see how (likely) much better a defensive line up with Turner at the 3 would be.

Do we know Cunningham's status or rumored availability?

I imagine Peddy is too small. Hartley is long, and we could put some spot minutes on her, but I imagine this is going to be Skylar's job. Cunningham isn't bad defensively either if she plays.

I'm much more worried about Parker and Sloot though. I think we're better off cutting off the head of the snake (which Peddy can do). Quigley's gonna score on Taurasi, most likely.

Team defense is hugely important here, especially for Turner and Brit to be in sync.

I'm very interested in how Chicago tries to defend Brit.

The Merc controlling the pace of this game will be important too. Merc are a pick and choose fast break team, but they really don't want to get into it with Chicago.

PostPosted: 10/09/21 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I imagine Peddy is too small. Hartley is long, and we could put some spot minutes on her, but I imagine this is going to be Skylar's job. Cunningham isn't bad defensively either if she plays.

I'm much more worried about Parker and Sloot though. I think we're better off cutting off the head of the snake (which Peddy can do). Quigley's gonna score on Taurasi, most likely.

Team defense is hugely important here, especially for Turner and Brit to be in sync.

I'm inclined to try and make Sloot beat us with her scoring. Taurasi guards her, Skylar on Quigley, Peddy (and hopefully Cunningham) on Copper. Minimal helping all around - I don't see Chicago's bigs scoring much on Turner and Griner. Copper will make some tough shots, but Peddy's ability to stay in front of her is what matters most (to me).

I'd rather Sloot score 30 than have 14 assists. She's been shooting quite well, but it's her distribution that is killer. (Of course, giving up both would be the ultimate killer.)

I don't expect we see this strategy. What hopefully is more likely is Peddy picking up Sloot pretty immediately, particularly after a Chicago defensive rebound. Like you said, cut off the head of the snake (aka Sloot igniting Chicago's transition).

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/09/21 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
TBD

Not gonna let this go unnoticed. Very Happy

Rock Hard wrote:
I want speed. I want more speed. I want full throttle SPEED! Feet don't fail me now!⚡🛸

They have it in 'em to run all the way to the title. 💨

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/09/21 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:

I guess. I'd say Copper has been the best player this go-round ...

Randy

PostPosted: 10/09/21 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The team that finally started giving a shit v. the team that finally got healthy. Mercury in 3.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/09/21 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So much of Copper's effectiveness - especially the big buckets that swung momentum - came in transition. A lot of covering that is about work ethic, and setting up so that you can get back in time to get in her way, rather than regular defensive ability. Generally speaking I think Phoenix can do most of that, but it's another thing that gets harder when you're shorthanded. They've got five players left that Brondello has any interest in actually playing (unless Cunningham's getting healthy soon) and 4 games coming up in 8 days barring a sweep. Everyone on both sides looked tired late in last night's game, and I don't think Phoenix can win this series with their starting five all playing 35 minutes a night.

PostPosted: 10/10/21 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
So much of Copper's effectiveness - especially the big buckets that swung momentum - came in transition. A lot of covering that is about work ethic, and setting up so that you can get back in time to get in her way, rather than regular defensive ability. Generally speaking I think Phoenix can do most of that, but it's another thing that gets harder when you're shorthanded. They've got five players left that Brondello has any interest in actually playing (unless Cunningham's getting healthy soon) and 4 games coming up in 8 days barring a sweep. Everyone on both sides looked tired late in last night's game, and I don't think Phoenix can win this series with their starting five all playing 35 minutes a night.

This is Chicago's year. Having Candace out so long to begin the season really hurt the chemistry building. But now that they have it, this is finally their year. They ended up getting decent players when EDD wanted out, in Copper and Dolson. Don't overlook the effectiveness of Dolson's screens for Quig's automatic threes. Then, effective coaching finally made them the destination of choice for a free agent - the final ingredient in Candace. Plus having another big who can also score outside in Azura - and can also help guard BG - is HUGE.

Dolson will go in to set screens and give 6 fouls guarding BG. Ndour will give 6 fouls.

Diana gave it her all to get into the finals and her (lack of) defense is a field day for Chicago guards. I mean, Diana can't even do her usual minimal effort on defense right now. Her body is just d-o-n-e. I think her performance to get Phoenix into the finals is a great parting shot for the goat.

Hate to break it to you like this, but both Dee and Sue are retiring. This season - including Olympics - was a great way for both of them to finish. Breana's injury was a tough break for Sue, but that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

~rAf
mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/10/21 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing with being a Taurasi fan, is..as long as the other team isn’t clearly better (Minnesota and Seattle..) she wins. I’ve seen it enough to be pretty confident here..

Chicago isn’t clearly better.

But Diana is 39 and playing on a high ankle sprain and fracture in her foot. She’s also not the most important player on the team anymore. So maybe that rule won’t be as effective here.

There seems to be a lot of concern about Phoenix’s defense here..but what is Chicago going to do with Griner? Stevens gets in foul trouble, and now Chicago has to play Dolson. - which means it’s basically 6 on 4 Wink

How are they gonna guard Taurasi and Diggins-Smith? Copper can take one of the two..but will she be needed to help guard Griner? DT and Skylar will have a field day on Sloot and Quigley.

Overall, Chicago is going to have a much harder time defending Phoenix than Phoenix will have defending Chicago. They are a much better defensive team.

The advantage Chicago has is depth. That could get Phoenix in trouble over the series, but give Hartley enough..and she’ll have a game where she can score a lot in a short period of time, and if we can get Cunningham back, we’ll be okay.

I also think that although Bird and Taurasi are very close to retiring, both will be drawn in for one more year because of Championship possibilities.

PostPosted: 10/10/21 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
But Diana is 39 and playing on a high ankle sprain and fracture in her foot. She’s also not the most important player on the team anymore. So maybe that rule won’t be as effective here.

If you say so. Taurasi is the only player in the WNBA today that I fear. She is the sole reason why I did not believe that the Aces could beat the Mercury, if it went to five games.

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of concern about Phoenix’s defense here..but what is Chicago going to do with Griner? Stevens gets in foul trouble, and now Chicago has to play Dolson. - which means it’s basically 6 on 4 :wink:

Except you don't have to beat Griner to beat Phoenix. If anything, depending too much on Griner's offense might make Phoenix easier to defend.

Quote:
The advantage Chicago has is depth.

Vegas had the same advantage, and look where it got them.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/10/21 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Chicago didn't "try" to defend Griner - they did the damn thing. Excellent gameplan and supreme execution. Griner did not have the legs to fight through two bigs and couldn't figure out quickly enough who was open when she got doubled. Chicago was brilliant in sending two bigs to double and rotating to smother Turner simultaneously. The fact that Sky players executed flawlessly was the #1 key to this game. (well, a thoroughly hobbled Taurasi also helped)

~rAf
mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/10/21 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Chicago didn't "try" to defend Griner - they did the damn thing. Excellent gameplan and supreme execution. Griner did not have the legs to fight through two bigs and couldn't figure out quickly enough who was open when she got doubled. Chicago was brilliant in sending two bigs to double and rotating to smother Turner simultaneously. The fact that Sky players executed flawlessly was the #1 key to this game. (well, a thoroughly hobbled Taurasi also helped)

They did a good job this game. But that’s not aggressive Griner that we have seen all playoffs. And I don’t think it was entirely on Chicago. When Brit starts setting screens at the three point line all game instead of posting up, that’s usually trouble for the Mercury.

Edit: DT is the most important in the sense that she’s the leader, and the game isn’t over until she says it is. But Griner is now the teams best player. And although it’s important to score in a variety of ways, when the offense runs through Britney, the Mercury are really hard to beat.

PostPosted: 10/10/21 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
pilight wrote:

That didn't work. What else ya got?

PostPosted: 10/10/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:

That didn't work. What else ya got?

Peddy or Skylar is the right matchup. But it's the tactic that needs to shift. Take another step back. Make her shoot 3s or shoot over you.

But really, it's not like Copper was the one solving an otherwise stout defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: