56%
 56%  [ 18 ]
Mercury
43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 32

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/14/21 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was clearly a foul on Copper, but I think the foul and the staredown were two separate things. It looked like Copper was going to get up at first and the pop up and stare down were a reaction to something Cunningham said when they were both on the floor, which knowing her personality I would not be surprised by. Not that it makes it any more forgivable...it should have been a fragrant.

That being said, Taurasi ABSOLUTELY shoved that ref. Twice.

PostPosted: 10/14/21 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
I need at that ref to explain how DT got away with pushing her twice during that incident with Sophie & Kahleah? Cathy also needs to address it too.

BG putting numbers & Skylar doing whatever it took to get a win only for them not to even get a post game interview smh.

Sloot living up to the Sue Bird comparison.

CP gotta pass the ball & stop with the dribble. She could have avoided a couple turnovers by doing so.

ESPN showed a slow-mo reply of that late turnover with CP bringing the ball up, (I think Turner picked it?)... Vandersloot was screaming her head off in disappointment. Laughing One of the best PG in the league is on your team, outlet to her and let her handle it. Laughing
When Court is the one screaming about a late turnover you know are doing something wrong Laughing. I think she finally got it in the end because after securing a reb she’d passed it Sloot. To CP credit I heard she took blame for the loss.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/14/21 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:
blue crabs & basketba wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
So we can push the refs out of the way as long as we're going in as a "peacemaker"

It's way more basic than that. Taurasi can get away with it because she's white. If it had been Diggins she probably would have been ejected, the suspension would have been announced last night, and few of the DT apologists would be standing up for her. We all saw what happened when Astou Ndour got walked into by a ref. This was much more serious than that.

Everybody thought what happened with Ndour was ridiculous. So now you’re saying that should be the standard? I’d be surprised if that tech didn’t get rescinded, but I suppose it’s about an individual ref’s comfort level. Is that ref still working?

It’s the end of the season, the Finals. Do people really want this series possibly decided on frivolous technicals? That’s probably the mindset of this ref to not get carried away with the techs. She could have easily given a tech to Copper who was taunting Cunningham even while in the her grasp. So let’s not politicize the situation (remember Taurasi’s borderline tech in the last game? It wasn’t that long ago) and let’s not accuse people of being racist when it’s most likely not the case.

I'm sorry, is Diana Taurasi not Latina?

Also +1. It's lame to want the refs to intervene like that in the biggest moment.

I thought her parents were immigrants to Argentina from Italy.

Her father is Italian, her mother is Argentinian

And she's still white. Latina doesn't preclude somebody from being white.

While the Hispanic community does not have the history that Black Americans do, statistically speaking (hate crimes, criminal justice system discrimination, economic discrimination and less pay..etc) there are very similar to black Americans.

And while Taurasi does have more privilege than some Hispanic people given colorism, she also deals with both similar rates of discrimination and erasure of her ethnicity (as is being done here..).

To be Frank, race is a social structure that our country literally makes judgments on (Greek people were t white until the 1980s..) and it hasn’t been decided yet..because ‘Murica.

Still, Diana is the wrong player..for the above reason..and other reasons (she’s a superstar, she tends to get harsher punishments by refs etc) to make this case against.

PostPosted: 10/14/21 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
Someone on Twitter posted evidence that Diamond 3 shot should have counted wow. Sky got a raw deal with the refs in gm 2.

What kind of "evidence" did they post? 'Cause what ESPN showed during the game looked pretty clear to me that the ball was still on her fingertips.
A live video replay of the shot & Diamond got the shot off with 1 sec on the shot clock.

WfanFrJmp wrote:
With that said, I'm really more annoyed about the lop-sided officiating in general (Felt like the was a desire to have a tied series, Who is out there betting? Laughing ) and about Diamond's basket...

https://twitter.com/ariivory/status/1448647718008619014

Now folks are saying that the TV clock wasn't synced with the arena clock... *le sigh*

Go W!

Thank you for the link to the pic. It perfectly shows that the two clocks aren't synced.

The arena clock is in the upper left corner of the pic. It shows 9:17, while the ESPN clock is showing 9:18.

I've got the game on my TV right now paused at 9:19 on the ESPN clock. It is showing :02 on the shot clock. I can see the entire arena clock and it is showing 9:18. It's hard for me to read the shot clock, but it looks like it might be showing :02.

I can't go frame-by-frame on my TV, but I backed up the video and this time stopped it at 9:18 on the ESPN clock. It is showing :01 on the shot clock. The arena clock is somewhat out of the frame but it looks like it is showing 9:11 so I'm going to say that the top has been cut off and it really is 9:17. I can see the arena shot clock better and it is showing :01. The ball is still in the palm of DD's hand and it looks like it is just an inch or two away from her head. Her knees are still bent, she barely has her heels off of the floor if at all. She looks like she is at best at the very start of her upward motion.

So we know that we can't go by the ESPN clock. The pic provided as "proof" that the shot was good shows the ESPN clock to be wrong.

There could be :01.9 on the shot clock or there could be :01.0 on the shot clock. We just don't know.

Something else to look for. The light on the backboard that lights up when the shot clock expires is lit in the Twitter pic. I had to blow it up to see it. When it is on, it looks like three white stripes across the top of the basket. When it is off, there are only two stripes.

I just did the back up and pause again. This time it is stopped at 9:18 on both clocks and :01 on both clocks. DD has just caught the ball and is bringing it back and up to begin her shooting motion. It is maybe 6" in front of her head, moving toward the back.

I was able to re-start the video and stop it quickly. Now the ESPN game clock is showing 9:18 and the shot clock is showing :01. The arena clock is showing 9:17 and the shot clock is showing :00. DD is now off the floor, her legs are at full extension, but her arms are not. The ball still in her right hand. The ball is covering the middle part of the A in FINALS (just the 'legs' of the A are visible). It is right between the feet of the guy in the gray pants who is sitting next to the guy in the yellow pants. The light on the backboard is on - 3 lines very clearly showing on my TV.

Now match all of that up with the ESPN replay that the refs looked at and ESPN showed when they came back from break at 5:57, there really can't be aby doubt that the ESPN clock is NOT synced perfectly with the game clock and that DD's shot was about a nono-second too late.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
mercfan

PostPosted: 10/14/21 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For people who are in tune with Twitter, I just checked out the WNBATwitter hashtag. I don’t check it often but Chicago fans are losing it between end of game and this afternoon to say the least. Is this normal or are these people new to the league? Maybe Im too old to understand Twitter. Even when I get mad at the refs I don’t think there’s some conspiracy lol.

Talking about getting cheated out of the win, Taurasi should be suspended and is worlds biggest bully, Sophie the instigator? Defeated energy.

Tally24

PostPosted: 10/14/21 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
For people who are in tune with Twitter, I just checked out the WNBATwitter hashtag. I don’t check it often but Chicago fans are losing it between end of game and this afternoon to say the least. Is this normal or are these people new to the league? Maybe Im too old to understand Twitter. Even when I get mad at the refs I don’t think there’s some conspiracy lol.

Talking about getting cheated out of the win, Taurasi should be suspended and is worlds biggest bully, Sophie the instigator? Defeated energy.

So, I’m a pretty usual fixture on WNBA Twitter, and this is abnormal. Normally, it’s not like that at all.
mercfan

PostPosted: 10/14/21 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
mercfan wrote:

So, I’m a pretty usual fixture on WNBA Twitter, and this is abnormal. Normally, it’s not like that at all.

I’m sure it’s mostly Chicago fans but the dialogue seems vastly different than your usual “WNBA is so important” stuff.

It’s like they have literally never watched Taurasi play before and think this is brand new. It’s been 20 years of this game management technique which is mostly what her brand is. You can’t just now be trying to hold her accountable at 39 for her antics. She very well could have 3 games left in her career.

Tally24

PostPosted: 10/14/21 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diana has been fined $2,500 for the incident.

https://twitter.com/ESPN_WomenHoop/status/1448844376453623813?s=20

Last edited by Tally24 on 10/14/21 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmpenn90

PostPosted: 10/14/21 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
mercfan wrote:

I’m sure it’s mostly Chicago fans but the dialogue seems vastly different than your usual “WNBA is so important” stuff.

It’s like they have literally never watched Taurasi play before and think this is brand new. It’s been 20 years of this game management technique which is mostly what her brand is. You can’t just now be trying to hold her accountable at 39 for her antics. She very well could have 3 games left in her career.

I have no clue that they are posting on Twitter but the pushing the ref rule should be enforced no matter how many games someone has left in their career. She should know the rules at this point. If they don’t want to enforce that rule then change it or get rid of it.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/14/21 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

Laughing Thank goodness she didn't make a comment about somebody's weight

PostPosted: 10/14/21 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

So the league acknowledged what she did but is not giving her the punishment that is rulebook makes explicit.

Typical.

God, I can't wait until she retires.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/14/21 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

JOKE

All you whining Merc fans need to sit down and shut up. The rulebook CLEARLY states that contact with an official is AUTOMATIC suspension. You have your GOAT for game 3. NO WHINING!!!

~rAf
mercfan

PostPosted: 10/14/21 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

JOKE

All you whining Merc fans need to sit down and shut up. The rulebook CLEARLY states that contact with an official is AUTOMATIC suspension. You have your GOAT for game 3. NO WHINING!!!

Y’all are so weird about this.

If anyone on Chicago did this we would not care.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/14/21 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:
blue crabs & basketba wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
So we can push the refs out of the way as long as we're going in as a "peacemaker"

It's way more basic than that. Taurasi can get away with it because she's white. If it had been Diggins she probably would have been ejected, the suspension would have been announced last night, and few of the DT apologists would be standing up for her. We all saw what happened when Astou Ndour got walked into by a ref. This was much more serious than that.

Everybody thought what happened with Ndour was ridiculous. So now you’re saying that should be the standard? I’d be surprised if that tech didn’t get rescinded, but I suppose it’s about an individual ref’s comfort level. Is that ref still working?

It’s the end of the season, the Finals. Do people really want this series possibly decided on frivolous technicals? That’s probably the mindset of this ref to not get carried away with the techs. She could have easily given a tech to Copper who was taunting Cunningham even while in the her grasp. So let’s not politicize the situation (remember Taurasi’s borderline tech in the last game? It wasn’t that long ago) and let’s not accuse people of being racist when it’s most likely not the case.

I'm sorry, is Diana Taurasi not Latina?

Also +1. It's lame to want the refs to intervene like that in the biggest moment.

I thought her parents were immigrants to Argentina from Italy.

Her father is Italian, her mother is Argentinian

And she's still white. Latina doesn't preclude somebody from being white.

While the Hispanic community does not have the history that Black Americans do, statistically speaking (hate crimes, criminal justice system discrimination, economic discrimination and less pay..etc) there are very similar to black Americans.

And while Taurasi does have more privilege than some Hispanic people given colorism, she also deals with both similar rates of discrimination and erasure of her ethnicity (as is being done here..).

To be Frank, race is a social structure that our country literally makes judgments on (Greek people were t white until the 1980s..) and it hasn’t been decided yet..because ‘Murica.

Still, Diana is the wrong player..for the above reason..and other reasons (she’s a superstar, she tends to get harsher punishments by refs etc) to make this case against.

I was with you until that part.

PostPosted: 10/15/21 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:

undersized_post wrote:

I was with you until that part.[/quote]

Yeah...this narrative is a headscratcher for me. Nobody in the history of the league has been given more of an inch from the referees over their career than Diana Taurasi. And nobody has, in tern, disrespected the referees more in the history of the league than Diana Taurasi. For me, in this latest instance, it's almost a feeling of "oh...wow...people are actually calling her out on it now?" so for anyone to feel like SHE'S been the one that has been mistreated in her relationship with the referees is seriously some Mandela effect shit. Totally mindblowing, for me.

PostPosted: 10/15/21 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

I really didn't think the league would do anything, but fining her that measly amount is even worse. Sky blows the Mercury out without Diana and that's not good for the ratings, so I get it.

But can we all at least acknowledge that Taurasi is above the rules and is being shown clear favoritism? It doesn't get more blatant than this.

She gets her own personal rulebook. Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/15/21 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bryan_february_ wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

I really didn't think the league would do anything, but fining her that measly amount is even worse. Sky blows the Mercury out without Diana and that's not good for the ratings, so I get it.

But can we all at least acknowledge that Taurasi is above the rules and is being shown clear favoritism? It doesn't get more blatant than this.

Yup. I would bet my life's savings that she's never recieved a single vote for the Kim Perrot award.

PostPosted: 10/15/21 5:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Yup. I would bet my life's savings that she's never recieved a single vote for the Kim Perrot award.

Laughing

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/15/21 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bryan_february_ wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Any savy WNBA coach should keep a video of game two of the Finals in their back pocket. Any time your player has contact with a referee in the future they should pull out that video of Taurasi pushing that referee twice and only getting fined a few thousand dollars.

PostPosted: 10/15/21 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
mercfan wrote:

undersized_post wrote:

I was with you until that part.

Yeah...this narrative is a headscratcher for me. Nobody in the history of the league has been given more of an inch from the referees over their career than Diana Taurasi. And nobody has, in tern, disrespected the referees more in the history of the league than Diana Taurasi. For me, in this latest instance, it's almost a feeling of "oh...wow...people are actually calling her out on it now?" so for anyone to feel like SHE'S been the one that has been mistreated in her relationship with the referees is seriously some Mandela effect shit. Totally mindblowing, for me.[/quote]

The 7 tech rule is literally the Taurasi rule, and she’s gotten techs for some pretty bullshit reasons. (She’s also earned many of them)

This is the same player that got a two game suspension for swearing.

Parker is just as bad as Diana with whining to the refs, and yet she gets far more leeway than DT does.

Again, the non Taurasi fans are being ridiculous, especially considering they don’t want to punish Copper for her chokehold.

If y’all were advocating both should get a game, Taurasi for the ref contact and Copper for her dangerous play (did she get fined??), I’d be willing to listen, but this just sounds like wanting an advantage because there is a refusal to admit that Copper did nothing wrong shows what’s going on.

Personally, I wouldn’t advocate for either..

Edit: also, there is pictures of Sloot making contact with the ref too. Do y’all want her automatically to get a game? (I think I know the answer..)

PostPosted: 10/15/21 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get that some of you are homers, but is it really that difficult to see the difference between someone going after the ball and someone going after a ref?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/15/21 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's what was posted as the rule on ESPN: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/32403435/phoenix-mercury-diana-taurasi-fined-2500-contact-official-game-2-wnba-finals

Quote:
The WNBA rulebook states that a player or coach who makes intentional physical contact with an official will automatically be suspended without pay for one game, and that a fine and/or longer period of suspension could result if circumstances so dictate.

I don't have time to look it up, so let's go with it being the actual rule.

Define "Intentional."

I'll wait.
Now, was DT's contact with the ref any more intentional than Copper's arm around Cunningham's neck?

I didn't think so.

So DT gets fined because her unintentional action was against an official and Copper gets a personal because her unintentional action (although a possibly more dangerous action) was against a player.

Time to move on from this and get ready for game 3.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 10/15/21 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bryan_february_ wrote:
I really didn't think the league would do anything, but fining her that measly amount is even worse.

I'd respect it more if the league had said they'd reviewed it and the contact was accidental/incidental; no harm, no foul. This is saying Tiara Cruse's actual body is less than 1/4 as important as Liz Cambage's body image.

Last edited by pilight on 10/15/21 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
mercfan

PostPosted: 10/15/21 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pasteurize wrote:
I get that some of you are homers, but is it really that difficult to see the difference between someone going after the ball and someone going after a ref?

“The ball”

bryan_february_

PostPosted: 10/15/21 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Any savy WNBA coach should keep a video of game two of the Finals in their back pocket. Any time your player has contact with a referee in the future they should pull out that video of Taurasi pushing that referee twice and only getting fined a few thousand dollars.

That would be great. Laughing

pasteurize wrote:

I mean honestly, as much as I'm a homer for my favorite player, I would never defend them for putting hands on a ref. I don't see how some of the Merc' fans do it.

pilight wrote:
I'd respect it more if the league had said they'd reviewed it and the contact was accidental/incidental; no harm, no foul. This is saying Tiara Cruse's actual body is less than 1/4 as important as Liz Cambage's body image.

Yep, exactly.

mercfan wrote:
“The ball”

Yes, Copper deserved at least a tech, a flagrant at worst I think. Taurasi still earned herself an easy rejection and 1-game suspension though... per the rulebook, at least.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: