84%
 84%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 19

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/17/21 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
I read that the door wasn't the strongest of doors, but you know DT is going to get fined, possibly suspended, and will have to pay for a new door.

That door totally flopped.
DT has been framed. These refs are trash. I am so done with this.

Whoever heard of a door frame? You made that up.

She didn't even realize it was a door when she hit it.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/17/21 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mercury are the first team with multiple first team All WNBA players to lose in the finals

No team has won a WNBA championship in an Olympic year with more than one member of Team USA on their roster

2020 Sky had none (or only Dolson if you count 3x3)
2016 Sparks had none
2012 Fever had only Catchings
2008 Shock had only Katie Smith
2004 Storm had only Bird
2000 Comets had only Swoopes

PostPosted: 10/17/21 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
I read that the door wasn't the strongest of doors, but you know DT is going to get fined, possibly suspended, and will have to pay for a new door.

Winner.

PostPosted: 10/17/21 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

😆😆😂🧀

PostPosted: 10/17/21 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

😆😆😂

PostPosted: 10/17/21 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I love the quotes at the end of your posts! Thank you.

Thank you, and you're welcome.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/17/21 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The Sky should never fix the door. They should write on it "Diana Taurasi was here."

Razz

YES.

PostPosted: 10/17/21 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

The Sky should never fix the door. They should write on it "Diana Taurasi was here."

Razz

Maybe they could get her to sign it?

"Congrats. Love, DT #3" or "Just send me the bill. DT #3."

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/17/21 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Picture of the door. Looks like it cost about $1.98 at a salvage store. My closet doors are nicer than this it (was).

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/diana-taurasi-phoenix-mercury-broken-door-game-4-loss/

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/17/21 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago should take a page from the Golden State Warriors and make the damage a 'shrine' Laughing

In 2007, MVP Dirk Nowitzki and the heavily favored Mavericks lost in the 1st round to the Warriors. Dirk responded by angrily throwing a recycling bin at a wall, making a hole.

The GSWs then covered the hole in plexiglass and had Dirk autograph it lol Razz Arrow

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki destroyed Oracle Arena locker room after ‘07 Playoff loss to Warriors
Warriors to move hole in wall caused by Dirk's 2007 freakout to new arena

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1684874
https://basketballsocietyonline.com/dirk-nowitzki-golden-state-warriors

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/17/21 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Picture of the door. Looks like it cost about $1.98 at a salvage store. My closet doors are nicer than this it (was).

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/diana-taurasi-phoenix-mercury-broken-door-game-4-loss/

I'm thinking that Green Hat Guy would have looked similar if SDS hadn't had a second thought and just picked up the bball.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 10/17/21 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't realize the door mentions were a thing! Shocked Seemed to come out of left field. Oh well - I think if you break a door you pay for a door!

Guess we will find out what's next!

PostPosted: 10/17/21 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y'alls comments on DT and that door Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm sooooo happy for the Sky and proud of each and every one of them!!!!! KFC!!!! Quigs truly came through in the clutch and would not denied!! So key for getting it done for her hometown squad!! Sloot, Steph, Z...Everybody!!!

CP man, there are just no words for what I've (and so many of us) watched through the ups and downs of her career.... Her tears at the end of seasons were a gut punches to so many of us...the expectations...the doubts, the injuries, giving birth, more injuries...heartbreaking losses....ill constructed teams....organizational craziness in LA.... the criticism...the pleasure and pain of largely being the face of women's bball.... to seeing how she helped bring confidence and calm to the Sky...to bringing one to her hometown...... to listening to the stories of things she has done the background... It continues to be an amazing journey as a fan and supporter!!

It is unbelievable what the Sky went through and bounced back from this season and to top it off with the Championship! Just wow!!! #NoCeiling In the post game presser, they mentioned about hitting a breaking point a month or so ago and getting frustrated with themselves and each other because of the inconsistency....and not knowing their identity and having to tap into who and what they were playing for.... Quigs said it started with CP saying she was playing for her (Quigs) and it just went from there... They all were locked in to playing for each other...and they actually "found " themselves... their identity... in the playoffs (Score one for the single elimination format!).... From pre-season favorites...To Jekyll and Hyde....To Champs!!!

Truly, this game was a microcosm of their season in many ways, but they got it done!!! We had the worst to first Shock who turned things around from one season to the next but I'm not sure we've seen this kind of transformation in a season. Would y'all say that this is the greatest turnaround we've seen in league history? I'm not insinuating that this is the best team ever or anything like that but the way they integrated players, overcame obstacles, stuck together, looked a whole mess (even once players were back from injury and Olympics) in stretches, bounced back and found ways to win was remarkable and I think extended past everyone getting healthy. I'm just curious about what y'all think.

Milks26

PostPosted: 10/17/21 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just finish watching the game. I called the Sky for the chip before the season and damnit they brought the sh*t home. Would've been a sweep if it wasn't for the blk & whts

YESSSSSSS

I'm so happy for this team. This is my 2nd team. I've always liked them: Quigs, Copper, Slooty, Dolson, DeShields (yeah, she played bad all year but she was not always so & she'll be back). Candace is new to the fold but she was the missing piece.

Copper well deserving of that MVP award. Big congrats.

PostPosted: 10/17/21 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just finished watching the game since I couldn't watch it live. Avoided looking at the result so I could enjoy the suspense. I thought the Sky shot themselves in the foot with mixture of poor shot selection and missed layups in the first half. Then when they mounted their first few comebacks, the Mercury had an answer. But ultimately it was the Mercury's missed layups down the stretch that opened to door. Sloot came up clutch down the stretch - those two assists to Dolson and then a bucket of her own. Credit Dolson for finishing those buckets but that was alllll Sloot. She is finals MVP in my book. Parker also deserves credit. Played great defense and initiated the Sky's final run. Nice to see Quigley have a hot shooting day after a relatively cold series. Copper didn't give much today - seemed like DT successfully got in her head.

I was rooting for the Sky over the Mercury, but SDS and BG have been two of my favorites all season, so I'm glad they had good games. I would love to see BG finally win that MVP award next season. Hopefully the 'goat' (yeah, right...) choked her way into retirement. Free up some cap space for the Mercury to sign an SG who will be more dependable.

edit: watching postgame interviews as I type this -- James Wade and his little son -- so cute <3

Last edited by undersized_post on 10/17/21 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/17/21 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

rofl. made me snort my tea.
good thing it was so flimsy or she'd have a broken hand to go with the broken foot.
I really think Diana is the GOAT and her play is amazing, and she is obviously well-liked by teammates, but she is always such an ass in games, it's hard as a fan to actually 'like' her.

Last edited by myrtle on 10/17/21 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/17/21 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
98% of the TV quotes from athletes and coaches--before the game, during the game, after the game--are utterly meaningless.

Taurasi and company made sure they would be the focus of tomorrow's media coverage by acting like sore losers. Now all the talking heads will be saying "Congrats to the Sky, but let's talk about The GOAT refusing to speak to media afterwards then destroying the visiting locker room." Some people just have to make themselves the center of attention

It would have been about them regardless. Taurasi is the most well known player, followed by Griner..and Diggins isn’t too far behind Parker. The media chooses who and what they cover.

That’s a good one “by not talking she makes herself the center of attention. Okay.

PostPosted: 10/17/21 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
STEFANIE DOLSON MVP BABY

Just saw this comment from earlier in the thread --- LOL Laughing

PostPosted: 10/17/21 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Mercury are the first team with multiple first team All WNBA players to lose in the finals

No team has won a WNBA championship in an Olympic year with more than one member of Team USA on their roster

2020 Sky had none (or only Dolson if you count 3x3)
2016 Sparks had none
2012 Fever had only Catchings
2008 Shock had only Katie Smith
2004 Storm had only Bird
2000 Comets had only Swoopes

Hmmm. So Parker turns up the volume after Olympic snub years then.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/17/21 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
That’s a good one “by not talking she makes herself the center of attention. Okay.

As a fan of a team (the Liberty) that has been booted out of the playoffs by Phoenix SO many times, I am being forced by annoying comments here to stand with mercfan3 and others who are for Phoenix. Just hilarious to consider how Diana Taurasi is making herself "the center of attention" BY NOT TALKING (to the media after the game).

I'd say that Diana Taurasi has indeed made herself "the center of attention" beginning in high school, certainly once she got to UConn in 2000, and ever since by being an absolutely sensational basketball player. Whether she talks or doesn't. Can she be annoying? Yes. Will she ever win the Nobel Peace Prize? No. But I dearly wish she'd played all these seasons for MY team.

And I'll repeat: once the game ended, Taurasi stayed on the court and personally congratulated what looked like every player for the Chicago Sky. In my book, that counts 100 times more than not talking to the media or bashing in a door.

PostPosted: 10/17/21 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

OK I'm late to the party here but: She was just trying to get the door away from her teammate.

PostPosted: 10/17/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
😎🏆💙😍🥳🎉🎉🎉💋💋💃💃🕺🕺💥🧀🧀🧀

Congratulations to you, Rock Hard, and all the Chicago fans... as well as the Sky of course. You guys sat through all those hard times with players forcing their way out of Chicago, but you hung in there. Well deserved! Very Happy

I'm in Lynx country. I've had to swallow my tongue up here watching their dynasty team run up championships. Laughing I was rooting for my hometown this post-season, but I wouldn't have been mad if Skylar had gotten her first ring.

Wink

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/17/21 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
I’m just thinking about the middle of the season when some people were calling for Sandy and Wade to be fired Laughing Laughing

Congrats to the Sky; Copper was a deserving finals MVP, and Sloot is an exceptional point guard, however the would not have won with CP. That 3 she hit the the tie game was huge! This championship has further cemented her legacy.

You can remove Sloot from the list of the best players without a title.

BG is the best center in the world and I hope she continues this trajectory.

Sloot and Diggins are the two best point guards in the game (Put some respect on Skylar’s name)!

I don’t think this is the last we’ve seen of DT, although this was probably her last chance for another title.

Exclamation Exclamation

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/17/21 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Congratulations to you, Rock Hard, and all the Chicago fans... as well as the Sky of course. You guys sat through all those hard times with players forcing their way out of Chicago, but you hung in there. Well deserved! Very Happy

+1!! I'm v happy you longtime Sky fans get to experience a title!! This team has had its moments the past few years, and even with Parker re-signing, I think most people were skeptical in if it would lead to a title run. And I mean shit, the Sky weren't anything special in the regular season. But this team plays to the level of its competition, and it just so happened that they made it into the semis this year and they ultimately gave themselves a chance. The Sky defeated the two teams that had 10-game winning streaks in four games apiece. The Sky had to earn it, and earn it they did.

Shout-out to my hometown hero SLOOT. As a fellow Kent, WA product and Kentwood High grad, I couldn't be more proud! Very Happy

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/18/21 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Mercury players declined to do media a la Naomi Osaka. Media members are not happy.

The league needs more media attention; they get it; [the players then] don’t want to do it? Shocked

Just want to say that this is a great point. The other side of the coin is, by the Merc stars not doing the media appearance, does that in & of itself bring more attention to them than if they had made the appearance? 🤔

pilight wrote:
I see Taurasi and the Merc are handling this loss with their usual class... Taurasi and company made sure they would be the focus of tomorrow's media coverage by acting like sore losers. Now all the talking heads will be saying "Congrats to the Sky, but let's talk about The GOAT refusing to speak to media afterwards then destroying the visiting locker room." Some people just have to make themselves the center of attention

Gotta say, I haven't necessarily loved all of your takes over the years in a general sense, but these ones about the Merc and/or Taurasi have been spot-on for me. Very Happy I will say, it was unexpectedly very nice to see players like Taurasi & Diggins-Smith congratulate Sky players on the court. Maybe they did it in advance knowing they wouldn't be facing the media. Who knows. I do agree with others that it doesn't matter a whole lot, but, I'm still gonna call them 'SOFT' for skipping out on it. Razz

Tally24 wrote:
SCook wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Mercury fans sure are quiet...

We said Congratulations. What do you want from us?

What we supposed to say? Lmao. Most said congrats. Can’t win for losing with a lot of y’all.

Most Merc fans on here definitely did indeed. Mercfan who to me was clearly side-swiping the Sky throughout this series I don't think ever said any congrats or anything complimentary about the Sky to my knowledge – correct me if I'm wrong. But ultimately, this matters not as well. While it is nice to see on a message board community like this one, opposing fans – as long as things don't turn personal – certainly aren't required to be cordial to the winners' fans at any one point.

myrtle wrote:
I really think Diana is the GOAT and her play is amazing, and she is obviously well-liked by teammates, but she is always such an ass in games, it's hard as a fan to actually 'like' her.

She's the perfect 'villain' type for this League, truly. As a player, if you don't root for her, you hate her. Laughing Diggins-Smith has become a great villainy sidekick in that regard as well. ( Confused ) Cunningham has finally re-risen since her time at Missouri as the villain she always was as well. And then Phoenix simply having unstoppable-force Griner (in which the means that they got her from the year before were at the time quite... dubious #DentalProcedure2k12) who seemingly was inevitably going to be dominant in this League puts the cherry on top to make the Phoenix Mercury the perfect villain franchise. Now if they as a team completely sucked year after year, I could actually see myself rooting for them – I do generally love a good villain, but only when the stakes are low. Mr. Green

Eventually, I'll admit that I might come to miss Taurasi after her time as a player is over. But, as for right now, I would love love love it if we just watched her last game in the League. Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: