RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Ten 2021-2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/26/22 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Minnesota has lost 83% to the portal.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2022/4/1/23007101/minnesota-womens-basketball-transfers-wreak-havoc-on-gophers-roster-loindsay-whalen-sara-scalia

Sounds like maybe Wisconsin may not be in the basement next year. Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/26/22 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2022/4/1/23007101/minnesota-womens-basketball-transfers-wreak-havoc-on-gophers-roster-loindsay-whalen-sara-scalia

I wonder if Whalen is having a Swoopsian moment. Sometimes it's simply too hard for good pro players to go backward enough to relate to college kids. Expectations/demands may simply be too high...especially in this era where I think some coddling is required. That transfer portal is hanging over everybody.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/26/22 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

I wonder if Whalen is having a Swoopsian moment. Sometimes it's simply too hard for good pro players to go backward enough to relate to college kids. Expectations/demands may simply be too high...especially in this era where I think some coddling is required. That transfer portal is hanging over everybody.

I dunno....I think Lindsay has shown more possibility than Sheryl ever did. But yeah....she's NOT the "Hometown Alum Girl Makes Good" that everyone expected. (Yet)
Talking about Sheryl, it's interesting to note that the three Big Stars from the wnba's first *dynasty* - Sheryl, Tina, and Cynthia - all flopped as coaches at the collegiate level. Shocked

PostPosted: 04/26/22 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

I dunno....I think Lindsay has shown more possibility than Sheryl ever did. But yeah....she's NOT the "Hometown Alum Girl Makes Good" that everyone expected. (Yet)
Talking about Sheryl, it's interesting to note that the three Big Stars from the wnba's first *dynasty* - Sheryl, Tina, and Cynthia - all flopped as coaches at the collegiate level. Shocked

I wouldn't put Cooper in the same category as Swoopes and Thompson and I wouldn't say she flopped as a coach. I also think she's a better coach than Swoopes and Thompson. Cooper's team at Prairie View had 7 wins her first year there and jumped to 21 her second year. She did alright (24-9, 20-13) at UNC-Wilmington and her first go-round at Texas Southern, and had a .500 or above record at USC; not outstanding records at USC but not the worst either.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/26/22 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper and her programs also collected NCAA violations like trading cards, so maybe that's not a good example either.

PostPosted: 04/26/22 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Cooper and her programs also collected NCAA violations like trading cards, so maybe that's not a good example either.

Yeah, I was gonna say.....her stats might not be utterly trash, so she exceeded the other 2 gals in that way, but with her school-jumping, the allegations, etc., her coaching status never approached her status as a star player.

PostPosted: 04/27/22 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who would have ever guessed that hiring someone with zero experience to coach a major conference program would be a bad idea?

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/27/22 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I didn't know about the NCAA violations. That's disappointing but I still think Cooper is a better xxx and ooo's coach-teacher than Swoopes and Thompson.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/27/22 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jeanae Terry pulled out of the portal and is returning to Purdue, per Raoul’s twitter.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 04/27/22 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trinitee Jackson of Arkansas State to Oklahoma State.

PostPosted: 04/30/22 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Trinitee Jackson of Arkansas State to Oklahoma State.

Welcome to the Big Ten thread… Wink

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/30/22 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find this announcement very odd. Carolyn Kieger received an extension at Penn State but for how long?

https://gopsusports.com/news/2022/4/29/womens-basketball-kieger-signs-contract-extension-with-lady-lions.aspx

mzonefan

PostPosted: 05/01/22 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan, Iowa, Purdue and Ohio State all have offered 7th grader (2027!) Sydney Savory. Her mom is an Assistant AD for Sport Administration at Michigan. Lisa Savory came to Michigan originally as the DOBO for Borseth. Savory played at BYU under her maiden name of Rathbun and is a Cadillac, MI native.

https://www.cadillacnews.com/sports/its-about-balance-for-cadillac-native-u-m-athletics-administrator/article_bb039738-8855-11ec-a2e5-0fc09b9f9579.html

ripleydc

PostPosted: 05/01/22 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzone, it sounds like Michigan has the inside track! 😀

Kid must be pretty special to attract so much attention at such an early age!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: