RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Big Ten 2021-2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/22 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Mich has lost 3 of their last 5 games, two of them to unranked teams. Quite a resume for a P-5 conference champ.

But ESPN will ignore the losses and point at their win against MD as proof of their greatness.


Michigan didn’t win the conference, so I don’t know what you’re on about. Yes, the unranked losses hurt, but they had two wins against Maryland, two wins against Ohio State, won their one game against Indiana and split vs Iowa: 6-1. That’s a résumé.

Iowa lost to Ohio State and Maryland in single matches, split with Michigan and beat Indiana twice: 3-3.

Ohio State lost to Indiana and beat Iowa in single matches, split with Maryland and lost two to Michigan: 2-4.

Indiana beat Ohio State and lost to Michigan in single games, split with Maryland and lost to Iowa twice: 2-4.

Maryland split with Ohio State and Indiana, beat Iowa in a single match and lost two to Michigan: 3-4.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/22 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To add to the facts... Michigan has what is the B1G's best non-conference win against Baylor. (Maryland also beat Baylor.)

*I would like a disclaimer noted above (in mzonefan's post) that all of Iowa's losses against the top tier of the B1G came with injured starters. The same can be noted for Indiana. I know it's kinda a pandora's box situation this season when you start trying to account for everyone's personnel issues with COVID and injuries -- that's not what I'm after. My point is just that all these teams are dangerous and have good/decent resumes.



Also:
linkster wrote:
Mich has lost 3 of their last 5 games, two of them to unranked teams. Quite a resume for a P-5 conference champ.

But ESPN will ignore the losses and point at their win against MD as proof of their greatness.

I'm not a Michigan fan, but I'm compelled to ask this since you came for them so hard. If you have such a problem with Michigan's resume, what about your own team's? Rolling Eyes



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 14514
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/22 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Also:
linkster wrote:
Mich has lost 3 of their last 5 games, two of them to unranked teams. Quite a resume for a P-5 conference champ.

But ESPN will ignore the losses and point at their win against MD as proof of their greatness.


I'm not a Michigan fan, but I'm compelled to ask this since you came for them so hard. If you have such a problem with Michigan's resume, what about your own team's? Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/01/22 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1st Team:
Clark, Iowa (POY)
Hillmon, Michigan (only other unanimous selection by both coaches and media; four consecutive 1st Team appearances)
Burton, NW
Czinano, Iowa
Sheldon, OSU
Mikesell, OSU
Berger, Indiana
Clouden, MSU
Marisa, PSU
Reese, MD

2nd Team:
Gulbe, Indiana
Holmes, Indiana
Brown, Michigan
Bibby, MD
Miller, MD
Owusu, MD
Scalia, MN
Markowski, Neb
Shelley, Neb
Cardano-Hillary, Indiana (Coaches only)
Warnock, Iowa (Media only)
Benzan, MD (Media only)

All-Freshman:
Markowski, Neb (FOY)
Sellers, MD (6POY despite starting many games due to injuries in the MD lineup)
Phelia, Michigan
Hagemann, MSU
Kapinus, PSU (Coahces only)
Ekh, MSU (Media only)

All-Defensive:
Burton, NW (DPOY for third consecutive year, only unanimous selection)
Cardano-Hillary, Indiana
Hillmon, Michigan
Reese, Maryland
Sheldon, OSU (Coaches only)
Shelley, Neb (Media only)

Kim Barnes Arico, Michigan (COY)


---

Some thoughts:
-Glad COY went to KBA and not McGuff. Frese, Bluder, and Moren have had good moments at times but Michigan has been the most consistently great team all season.

-The Maryland and Indiana representation on the 2nd Team shows just how dangerous these teams are when fully healthy. Very balanced lineups with many players capable of stepping up. The other side of the coin is, both teams have had limited depth this year so that means the starters will have to play more minutes, leading to more stats, leading to more recognition.

-I wonder if Clark still would have won POY if not for her season best game against Michigan this weekend.

-It's crazy that Ali Patberg went from a 1st-Teamer to a No-Teamer over the past couple years. Love her or hate her or roll-your-eyes at her, it shows what a team player she is.

-I'm so glad McKenna Warnock got recognition after not even being honorable mention last year. She really proved at the end of the season how important she is to Iowa on both ends of the court. Zero chance Iowa sweeps Indiana and beats Michigan had Warnock not been healthy again.

-How on earth were Burton and Clouden not unanimous 1st-Teamers from the media??? (They were from the coaches.) For the Indiana/Maryland/Ohio State players, I get it to a certain extent because they have multiple elite players who might "steal" votes from each other.



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4931



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/01/22 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
linkster wrote:
Mich has lost 3 of their last 5 games, two of them to unranked teams. Quite a resume for a P-5 conference champ.

But ESPN will ignore the losses and point at their win against MD as proof of their greatness.


Michigan didn’t win the conference, so I don’t know what you’re on about. Yes, the unranked losses hurt, but they had two wins against Maryland, two wins against Ohio State, won their one game against Indiana and split vs Iowa: 6-1. That’s a résumé.

Iowa lost to Ohio State and Maryland in single matches, split with Michigan and beat Indiana twice: 3-3.

Ohio State lost to Indiana and beat Iowa in single matches, split with Maryland and lost two to Michigan: 2-4.

Indiana beat Ohio State and lost to Michigan in single games, split with Maryland and lost to Iowa twice: 2-4.

Maryland split with Ohio State and Indiana, beat Iowa in a single match and lost two to Michigan: 3-4.


All of that is fine but how do you assign rankings based on that? MD, Mich, Iowa & Indiana are ranked between 13th to 18th in the NET. If those are such impressive resumes why doesn't NET reflect that by making one of them a top 10? RPI only used wins/losses just as you do. NET looks at each game and measures the quality of the wins and the badness of the losses. Not perfectly, but this is a new wrinkle that RPI never measured. NET not only cares who won but if a huge favorite had to battle for a 2 pt win against a 75-100 team.

The committee will surely use your argument, but I'll stick to my opinion about subjective measures.


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/22 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
linkster wrote:
Mich has lost 3 of their last 5 games, two of them to unranked teams. Quite a resume for a P-5 conference champ.

But ESPN will ignore the losses and point at their win against MD as proof of their greatness.


Michigan didn’t win the conference, so I don’t know what you’re on about. Yes, the unranked losses hurt, but they had two wins against Maryland, two wins against Ohio State, won their one game against Indiana and split vs Iowa: 6-1. That’s a résumé.

Iowa lost to Ohio State and Maryland in single matches, split with Michigan and beat Indiana twice: 3-3.

Ohio State lost to Indiana and beat Iowa in single matches, split with Maryland and lost two to Michigan: 2-4.

Indiana beat Ohio State and lost to Michigan in single games, split with Maryland and lost to Iowa twice: 2-4.

Maryland split with Ohio State and Indiana, beat Iowa in a single match and lost two to Michigan: 3-4.


All of that is fine but how do you assign rankings based on that? MD, Mich, Iowa & Indiana are ranked between 13th to 18th in the NET. If those are such impressive resumes why doesn't NET reflect that by making one of them a top 10? RPI only used wins/losses just as you do. NET looks at each game and measures the quality of the wins and the badness of the losses. Not perfectly, but this is a new wrinkle that RPI never measured. NET not only cares who won but if a huge favorite had to battle for a 2 pt win against a 75-100 team.

The committee will surely use your argument, but I'll stick to my opinion about subjective measures.


My argument? I was responding to your false claim of Michigan being a P5 conference champ, having a weak resume and something about ESPN pointing to their greatness based on a win over Maryland (it was two). I was not addressing rankings, NET or NCAA seed projection, but you go ahead and be subjective.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/06/22 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious how Purdue fans are feeling after their first year of Katie Gearlds!



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 1163



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/06/22 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If anything, the succession is looking like a good move so far -- but how was Geralds not able to influence things from the bench last year? You'd have to think that winning 7 games in Big 10 play, which is the same as the number of games they won all of last year, is a step in the right direction. There's no comment on this being a down year for some of those Big 10 Teams they beat in Rutgers and maybe Michigan State?

At least they beat Georgia Tech, which is something that some teams couldn't do this year. Wins over Florida State, Western Kentucky, and Western Michigan aren't too bad either.


Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 5085



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/06/22 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
If anything, the succession is looking like a good move so far -- but how was Geralds not able to influence things from the bench last year? You'd have to think that winning 7 games in Big 10 play, which is the same as the number of games they won all of last year, is a step in the right direction. There's no comment on this being a down year for some of those Big 10 Teams they beat in Rutgers and maybe Michigan State?

At least they beat Georgia Tech, which is something that some teams couldn't do this year. Wins over Florida State, Western Kentucky, and Western Michigan aren't too bad either.


She wasn't even at Purdue last year, what was she suppoed to influence? look at who Purdue lost from last year, even if they got similar wins or same wins as last year I think it was more difficult to do this year.


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/22 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nia Clouden is declaring for the WNBA draft.


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2812
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/22 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
If anything, the succession is looking like a good move so far -- but how was Geralds not able to influence things from the bench last year? You'd have to think that winning 7 games in Big 10 play, which is the same as the number of games they won all of last year, is a step in the right direction. There's no comment on this being a down year for some of those Big 10 Teams they beat in Rutgers and maybe Michigan State?

At least they beat Georgia Tech, which is something that some teams couldn't do this year. Wins over Florida State, Western Kentucky, and Western Michigan aren't too bad either.


She wasn't even at Purdue last year, what was she suppoed to influence? look at who Purdue lost from last year, even if they got similar wins or same wins as last year I think it was more difficult to do this year.


Yeah, not sure what that poster meant about last year. Anyway, when you look at what McLaughlin did at Marquette, Traylor at Virginia Tech and Farquhar at Mich State, there is no question those 3 would have made a world of difference at Purdue. That said, the current team overachieved IMO and seemed to play a lot looser and freer. I am looking forward to the future.


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/22 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Christy Winters Scott interviewed Lisa Byington recently. I always enjoyed these two together on BTN, and it’s nice to hear Lisa’s whole story - from a girl who had no gender limits as a young athlete, to a two sport student athlete at Northwestern to her years at BTN and now making history in the NBA. https://mobile.twitter.com/thefieldof68/status/1502019262713532420?s=12


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 60061



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/22 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MOST-WATCHED WOMEN’S BASKETBALL SEASON EVER ON THE BIG TEN NETWORK
https://btn.com/2022/03/08/most-watched-womens-basketball-season-ever-on-the-big-ten-network/

Quote:
The 2021-22 Big Ten women's basketball season on the Big Ten Network was the most-watched ever, with +41% growth from the previous mark set in the 2019-20 season, four of the top five games in network history and the most watched Big Ten women's basketball tournament in network history.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/22 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
MOST-WATCHED WOMEN’S BASKETBALL SEASON EVER ON THE BIG TEN NETWORK
https://btn.com/2022/03/08/most-watched-womens-basketball-season-ever-on-the-big-ten-network/

Quote:
The 2021-22 Big Ten women's basketball season on the Big Ten Network was the most-watched ever, with +41% growth from the previous mark set in the 2019-20 season, four of the top five games in network history and the most watched Big Ten women's basketball tournament in network history.


Not a coincidence IMO that 4 of the 5 games involved Iowa.



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
blue crabs & basketba



Joined: 15 Apr 2021
Posts: 112
Location: the place w/the great flag


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/20/22 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like the B1G is doing well in the tournament so far. Any predictions for how many teams will make it to the Sweet 16?


PG4ever



Joined: 14 May 2020
Posts: 219



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/20/22 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blue crabs & basketba wrote:
Looks like the B1G is doing well in the tournament so far. Any predictions for how many teams will make it to the Sweet 16?


I'll say 3. I think LSU beats OSU and Stanford beats Maryland to keep those two out of the Sweet 16. I'm picking my Wolverines over Baylor in a close one, Iowa over Iowa St., and IU over Princeton but I wouldn't be shocked if 2 of my 3 picks turn out going the other way. As long as my Wolverines survive and advance, I don't care.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/20/22 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
blue crabs & basketba wrote:
Looks like the B1G is doing well in the tournament so far. Any predictions for how many teams will make it to the Sweet 16?


I'll say 3. I think LSU beats OSU and Stanford beats Maryland to keep those two out of the Sweet 16. I'm picking my Wolverines over Baylor in a close one, Iowa over Iowa St., and IU over Princeton but I wouldn't be shocked if 2 of my 3 picks turn out going the other way. As long as my Wolverines survive and advance, I don't care.


I think you're mixing up some Round of 32 matchups with some of the potential Sweet 16 matchups, in which it would be an Elite 8 spot on the line.

For a spot in the Sweet 16 we have the following matchups:
#2 Iowa vs. #10 Creighton
#4 Maryland vs. #12 FGCU
#6 Ohio State @ #3 LSU
#3 Michigan vs. #11 Villanova
#3 Indiana vs. #11 Princeton

I have all 5 winning in my bracket (knock on wood!), and I personally think Maryland and Michigan are the most likely.



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/20/22 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
blue crabs & basketba wrote:
Looks like the B1G is doing well in the tournament so far. Any predictions for how many teams will make it to the Sweet 16?


I'll say 3. I think LSU beats OSU and Stanford beats Maryland to keep those two out of the Sweet 16. I'm picking my Wolverines over Baylor in a close one, Iowa over Iowa St., and IU over Princeton but I wouldn't be shocked if 2 of my 3 picks turn out going the other way. As long as my Wolverines survive and advance, I don't care.


I think you're mixing up some Round of 32 matchups with some of the potential Sweet 16 matchups, in which it would be an Elite 8 spot on the line.

For a spot in the Sweet 16 we have the following matchups:
#2 Iowa vs. #10 Creighton
#4 Maryland vs. #12 FGCU
#6 Ohio State @ #3 LSU
#3 Michigan vs. #11 Villanova
#3 Indiana vs. #11 Princeton

I have all 5 winning in my bracket (knock on wood!), and I personally think Maryland and Michigan are the most likely.


Undersized_post! just saw this and realized you kind of foreshadowed Iowa’s loss.


SocksTerp



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 108



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/21/22 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blue crabs & basketba wrote:
Looks like the B1G is doing well in the tournament so far. Any predictions for how many teams will make it to the Sweet 16?


I would say 3 total. Maryland is in the Sweet 16, with Michigan and Indiana. Indy and Princeton will be a good game.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/21/22 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
blue crabs & basketba wrote:
Looks like the B1G is doing well in the tournament so far. Any predictions for how many teams will make it to the Sweet 16?


I'll say 3. I think LSU beats OSU and Stanford beats Maryland to keep those two out of the Sweet 16. I'm picking my Wolverines over Baylor in a close one, Iowa over Iowa St., and IU over Princeton but I wouldn't be shocked if 2 of my 3 picks turn out going the other way. As long as my Wolverines survive and advance, I don't care.


I think you're mixing up some Round of 32 matchups with some of the potential Sweet 16 matchups, in which it would be an Elite 8 spot on the line.

For a spot in the Sweet 16 we have the following matchups:
#2 Iowa vs. #10 Creighton
#4 Maryland vs. #12 FGCU
#6 Ohio State @ #3 LSU
#3 Michigan vs. #11 Villanova
#3 Indiana vs. #11 Princeton

I have all 5 winning in my bracket (knock on wood!), and I personally think Maryland and Michigan are the most likely.


Undersized_post! just saw this and realized you kind of foreshadowed Iowa’s loss.


Thinks for piling on my misery. Razz Evil or Very Mad Laughing Good luck to Michigan, who is just tipping off!



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
blue crabs & basketba



Joined: 15 Apr 2021
Posts: 112
Location: the place w/the great flag


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/21/22 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
blue crabs & basketba wrote:
Looks like the B1G is doing well in the tournament so far. Any predictions for how many teams will make it to the Sweet 16?


I'll say 3. I think LSU beats OSU and Stanford beats Maryland to keep those two out of the Sweet 16. I'm picking my Wolverines over Baylor in a close one, Iowa over Iowa St., and IU over Princeton but I wouldn't be shocked if 2 of my 3 picks turn out going the other way. As long as my Wolverines survive and advance, I don't care.


I think you're mixing up some Round of 32 matchups with some of the potential Sweet 16 matchups, in which it would be an Elite 8 spot on the line.

For a spot in the Sweet 16 we have the following matchups:
#2 Iowa vs. #10 Creighton
#4 Maryland vs. #12 FGCU
#6 Ohio State @ #3 LSU
#3 Michigan vs. #11 Villanova
#3 Indiana vs. #11 Princeton

I have all 5 winning in my bracket (knock on wood!), and I personally think Maryland and Michigan are the most likely.


Undersized_post! just saw this and realized you kind of foreshadowed Iowa’s loss.


Thinks for piling on my misery. Razz Evil or Very Mad Laughing Good luck to Michigan, who is just tipping off!


Sorry friend.


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/23/22 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In order to not get this buried in the game thread, here’s Michigan’s post-game presser video with KBA, Naz and Leigha. https://youtu.be/dGlWHVGSce8

Naz played 39.5 minutes and guarded the nation’s 2nd leading scorer, Maddy Siegrist, the entire game holding her to 12 points. I don’t know of any post player who has that kind of motor and stamina to draw that kind of defensive assignment in a 5-out offense and still manage to score 27 points, pull down 11 rebounds (50th double-double) and gather 5 steals.


Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 3996



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/26/22 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://mobile.twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1507884418647699456

Quote:
Only Big Ten team, men or women, to make the Elite 8: Michigan WBB


9 teams went Dancing on the men’s side, 6 teams on the women’s side. Out of all those teams, only one remains.

Congrats, Michigan WBB!



_________________
Gone until further notice. I just don’t like enough people on here to stay, honestly. But if I find myself in your city watching your team, maybe I’ll let you know. -Stormy
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/22 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota has lost 83% to the portal.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2022/4/1/23007101/minnesota-womens-basketball-transfers-wreak-havoc-on-gophers-roster-loindsay-whalen-sara-scalia


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/25/22 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland women’s basketball’s Brenda Frese, Katie Benzan open up on transfers, team discord

https://dbknews.com/2022/04/25/maryland-womens-basketball-brenda-frese-angel-reese-transfer/


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin