RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Big Ten 2021-2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/20/22 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it looks like we aren’t any closer in learning who is going to win the B1G. I think the top 5 can all still win it according to my scenarios on mred’s site.

I did find Raoul’s tweet interesting.

Quote:
Tiebreaker-wise—and just in general—note the records of the top five Big Ten WBB teams against one another:
Michigan 6-0 (game @ Iowa left)
Indiana 2-2 (games @ Iowa & @ UMD left)
Ohio State 2-4
Maryland 2-4 (game vs Indiana left)
Iowa 1-3 (games vs Indiana & vs Michigan left)


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/22 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With each team having just one or two games left, all of the top-5 can either win it or tie for 1st in scenario land!


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/22 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mzonefan, I remmeber you made a comment earlier this season about Teri Moren being in danger of running her starting 5 into the ground. Well, it seems Indiana finally reached a breaking point, having to play 5 games in 10 days, all while trying to work Holmes back into the lineup slowly as she regains her strength and stamina. I do feel sorry for them because I doubt Iowa would have swept them had Holmes been at full strength and/or if Indiana had had more time to recovery between/before the games.

The biggest difference between the Iowa/IU games this year and last year is that last year, Holmes dominated the matchup inside with Czinano. This year it was the opposite. Kiandra Browne really needs to learn to play without fouling. Moren tried to work Browne into the Iowa game early to give Holmes a breather, but Browne forced Moren's hand by being unable to stay out of foul trouble. Yeah, she's gonna pick up a couple inevitable fouls guarding Czinano, but she really needs to avoid the silly moving screens. 5 fouls in 10 minutes is just not going to cut it when she's being relied upon to take some of the burden off of Holmes.

Indiana's last game of the season is @ Maryland this Friday. In their last meeting which Indiana won in overtime, Indiana's starters almost never left the court:
Patberg, 45 minutes
Berger, 45
Cardano Hillary, 44
Gulbe, 43
Holmes, 41



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 31034



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/22 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Moren doesn't really have much choice. When her bench comes in, things fall apart pretty quickly. I think Moore-McNeil and Browne are the only ones marginally useful. And Browne is truly marginal.


Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 5085



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/22 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana losing Jaelynn Penn was a big loss because she would be starting, and then it would allow them to bring someone like Cardano Hillary off the bench so they would have some bench production. Penn left an Indiana team that has been ranked pretty high all season for UCLA where I don't think they have much of a shot to even make the NCAA tournament.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/22 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Indiana losing Jaelynn Penn was a big loss because she would be starting, and then it would allow them to bring someone like Cardano Hillary off the bench so they would have some bench production. Penn left an Indiana team that has been ranked pretty high all season for UCLA where I don't think they have much of a shot to even make the NCAA tournament.


True-- though Penn had also finished her undergrad degree so wanting a fresh start for grad school isn't all that uncommon. Bendu Yeaney, Danielle Patterson, and Jorie Allen (all of whom transferred in the past two years along with Penn) would also be very helpful right now.



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17081
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/22 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Bendu Yeaney, Danielle Patterson, and Jorie Allen (all of whom transferred in the past two years along with Penn) would also be very helpful right now.


no backsies



_________________
Tartamella delenda est.
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/22 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Bendu Yeaney, Danielle Patterson, and Jorie Allen (all of whom transferred in the past two years along with Penn) would also be very helpful right now.


no backsies


fine, you can keep her!



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/22 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little more detail on the Spartans and their latest injuries. I saw Clouden tweak her ankle 2x in the PSU game. I didn’t know about Hagemann’s concussion, too. https://statenews.com/article/2022/02/shorthanded-spartans-return-to-same-struggle


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/22 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Mzonefan, I remmeber you made a comment earlier this season about Teri Moren being in danger of running her starting 5 into the ground.


Yes! And I’m pretty sure that was before Holmes went out for knee surgery.

I’ve felt like the team with the deepest roster could win the B1G this season. In all of the unpredictable Covid protocols and injuries there have been too many times when some teams were playing with just 6-8 available.

I thought KBA might have been a little crazy in carrying 15 this season, but the depth has been a great buffer. Just in our core group we lost Amy Dilk for 2 months, Leigha Brown has missed 5 weeks so far with two different injuries, Naz was out with the flu, and Laila Phelia missed 3 games due to Covid. That’s 27 absences plus additional minutes lost due to playing limitations as each worked their way to full availability/health/strength.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/22 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just one more week of the regular season so I might as well go ahead with this!

My Individual Player Awards:
(gonna keep this confined to the Big Ten thread to avoid clogging up the national thread)

POY Naz Hillmon
DPOY Veronica Burton
FOY Alexis Markowski
6POY Too hard to establish who is eligible because starting lineups changed so much because of COVID and injuries

1st Team*
Naz Hillmon, Michigan
Caitlin Clark, Iowa
Angel Reese, Maryland
Jacy Sheldon, Ohio State
McKenna Marisa, Penn State
Nia Clouden, Michigan State
Veronica Burton, Northwestern
Grace Berger, Indiana
Monika Czinano, Iowa
Diamond Miller, Maryland

*I did not consider Leigha Brown, Mackenzie Holmes, or Ashley Owusu for 1st team because I felt they didn't play enough conference games due to injury. Not that they aren't deserving, but where it was close I prioritized conference games played.

2nd Team
Leigha Brown, Michigan
Mackenzie Holmes, Indiana
Jaz Shelley, Nebraska
Taylor Mikesell, Ohio State
Alexis Markowski, Nebraska
Sara Scalia, Minnesota
Ashley Owusu, Maryland
Madison Layden, Purdue
Mathilda Ekh, Michigan State
Maddie Nolan, Michigan

Honorable Mention*
Sam Haiby, Nebraska
Aleksa Gulbe, Indiana
McKenna Warnock, Iowa
Courtney Shaw, Northwestern
Alexis Nye, Illinois
Julie Pospisilova, Wisconsin
Osh Brown, Rutgers
Katie Benzan, Maryland
Jeanae Terry, Purdue
Deja Winters, Minnesota

*I made sure all schools were represented somewhere on 1st team, 2nd team, or HM.

All-Freshman
Alexis Markowski, Nebraska
Laila Phelia, Michigan
Mathilda Ekh, Michigan State
Shyanne Sellers, Maryland
Allison Weidner, Nebraska
(Also considered: Dede Hagemann, MSU; Addison O'Grady, Iowa; Jillian Brown, Northwestern)

All-Defensive
Veronica Burton, Northwestern
Nicole Cardano-Hillary, Indiana
Emily Kiser, Michigan
Mackenzie Holmes, Indiana
Danielle Rauch, Michigan
(Also considered: Courtney Shaw, Northwestern; Naz Hillmon, Michigan; Tamara Farquhar, Michigan State)

Cue jokes about how ridiculous it is that the B1G does 10 player lists for 1st team, 2nd team, and HM. I don't make the rules -- it's just how it is. Laughing



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/23/22 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ooooo Undersized_Post are they going to kick you out of the Iowa fan club for picking Naz over Caitlin for POY? Laughing They are both amazing! I wonder if the POY awards will split between coaches and media. As much as Caitlin does for the Hawkeyes with her mind blowing numbers on the offensive end, I think Naz’s balance on both sides of the court and her leadership make her the most valuable player, too.

I like your choices overall. I think I’d sub Madison Layden out for Abby Ellis for the Purdue representation.

6th POY? I would have voted for Laila Phelia before taking over Leigha Brown’s place in the Michigan lineup. From a statistical-only value perspective, Purdue’s Brooke Moore is the easy choice since she hasn’t started a single B1G game.

I opened up the B1G conference only stats in response to your list. Some interesting stuff there, especially regarding minutes played topic. IU’s starting 4 (minus Holmes) are all in the top 15!


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/23/22 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Ooooo Undersized_Post are they going to kick you out of the Iowa fan club for picking Naz over Caitlin for POY? Laughing They are both amazing! I wonder if the POY awards will split between coaches and media. As much as Caitlin does for the Hawkeyes with her mind blowing numbers on the offensive end, I think Naz’s balance on both sides of the court and her leadership make her the most valuable player, too.

I like your choices overall. I think I’d sub Madison Layden out for Abby Ellis for the Purdue representation.

6th POY? I would have voted for Laila Phelia before taking over Leigha Brown’s place in the Michigan lineup. From a statistical-only value perspective, Purdue’s Brooke Moore is the easy choice since she hasn’t started a single B1G game.

I opened up the B1G conference only stats in response to your list. Some interesting stuff there, especially regarding minutes played topic. IU’s starting 4 (minus Holmes) are all in the top 15!


If something miraculous would occur and Iowa somehow eeked out a share of the regular season title, I would consider giving the nod to Clark. But as it stands now, the award is Hillmon's. I also feel like it would be a bit unsportsmanlike of me to vote for a player on my own team for POY. Razz



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/22 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With last night’s results, Michigan and Ohio State have earned double byes in the Big Ten Tournament. We will know more about the other two spots after the Indiana at Maryland game tonight!


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/22 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa also earned a double bye last night by beating Rutgers. They can fall no lower than 4th at this point.

The winner of the Michigan @ Iowa game on Sunday will be crowned conference champs. Michigan would be the champ outright, while Iowa would share the title with Ohio State. Apparently it's already a sellout. Carver Hawkeye Arena seats 15,500.

In their last meeting, starter Leigha Brown was unavailable for Michigan while starters McKenna Warnock and Gabbie Marshall were unavailable for Iowa. Iowa frontcourt reserves Logan Cook and AJ Ediger were also injured (not to mention the preseason ACL tears from Goodman and Wetering). They have since been dressing but have not seen minutes, so I don't know what their status is.



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/22 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Iowa also earned a double bye last night by beating Rutgers. They can fall no lower than 4th at this point.


Is Mred’s calculator off? I see the following scenario to drop Iowa to the 5th spot: Michigan over Iowa, Michigan State over Ohio State and Indiana over Maryland leading to this finish:

1. Michigan (14 - 3)
2. Indiana (12 - 4)
3. Ohio St (13 - 5)
4. Maryland (12 - 5)
5. Iowa (12 - 6)


PG4ever



Joined: 14 May 2020
Posts: 219



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/22 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Iowa also earned a double bye last night by beating Rutgers. They can fall no lower than 4th at this point.


Is Mred’s calculator off? I see the following scenario to drop Iowa to the 5th spot: Michigan over Iowa, Michigan State over Ohio State and Indiana over Maryland leading to this finish:

1. Michigan (14 - 3)
2. Indiana (12 - 4)
3. Ohio St (13 - 5)
4. Maryland (12 - 5)
5. Iowa (12 - 6)


Iowa only has Michigan left to play in the regular season. With four losses now, the worst they can do (and I hope they lose to Michigan on Sunday) is 5 losses.


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/22 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Iowa also earned a double bye last night by beating Rutgers. They can fall no lower than 4th at this point.


Is Mred’s calculator off? I see the following scenario to drop Iowa to the 5th spot: Michigan over Iowa, Michigan State over Ohio State and Indiana over Maryland leading to this finish:

1. Michigan (14 - 3)
2. Indiana (12 - 4)
3. Ohio St (13 - 5)
4. Maryland (12 - 5)
5. Iowa (12 - 6)


Oooh, it is off, sorry! It’s taking away an Iowa win and adding it to the losses!


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 2282
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/22 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey now don't go trying to take away wins from my Hawkeyes!!! Laughing



_________________
RebKell's 2021-2022 NCAA Fantasy League Regular Season Champion 🏆
mred



Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 230



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/22 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Iowa also earned a double bye last night by beating Rutgers. They can fall no lower than 4th at this point.


Is Mred’s calculator off? I see the following scenario to drop Iowa to the 5th spot: Michigan over Iowa, Michigan State over Ohio State and Indiana over Maryland leading to this finish:

1. Michigan (14 - 3)
2. Indiana (12 - 4)
3. Ohio St (13 - 5)
4. Maryland (12 - 5)
5. Iowa (12 - 6)


Oooh, it is off, sorry! It’s taking away an Iowa win and adding it to the losses!


I'm getting 13-5 for Iowa when I try to recreate this. Are you still seeing it?

I suspect maybe you selected Rutgers over Iowa at some point yesterday (prior to the Rutgers-Iowa game), and then when I updated the site with yesterday's scores it remained selected but became hidden as a completed game. I'm not 100% sure that can happen (the same page refresh that loads the new results should also reset the game selections) but I can't come up with any other theories.

If it is still happening, please unhide completed games and check if Rutgers is selected for yesterday's game. If it is (and you didn't select it yourself today), I might have to figure out how to keep that from happening in the future. If it isn't selected but you are still getting the wrong record for Iowa, I am stumped.


mred



Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 230



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/22 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Hey now don't go trying to take away wins from my Hawkeyes!!! Laughing


My desire to keep the website accurate unfortunately takes priority over my desire to dump on the Hawkeyes. Smile


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4515
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/22 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Iowa also earned a double bye last night by beating Rutgers. They can fall no lower than 4th at this point.


Is Mred’s calculator off? I see the following scenario to drop Iowa to the 5th spot: Michigan over Iowa, Michigan State over Ohio State and Indiana over Maryland leading to this finish:

1. Michigan (14 - 3)
2. Indiana (12 - 4)
3. Ohio St (13 - 5)
4. Maryland (12 - 5)
5. Iowa (12 - 6)


Oooh, it is off, sorry! It’s taking away an Iowa win and adding it to the losses!


I'm getting 13-5 for Iowa when I try to recreate this. Are you still seeing it?

I suspect maybe you selected Rutgers over Iowa at some point yesterday (prior to the Rutgers-Iowa game), and then when I updated the site with yesterday's scores it remained selected but became hidden as a completed game. I'm not 100% sure that can happen (the same page refresh that loads the new results should also reset the game selections) but I can't come up with any other theories.

If it is still happening, please unhide completed games and check if Rutgers is selected for yesterday's game. If it is (and you didn't select it yourself today), I might have to figure out how to keep that from happening in the future. If it isn't selected but you are still getting the wrong record for Iowa, I am stumped.


That’s entirely possible since I wouldn’t have seen the Rutgers selection. I left it open in a tab and was trying a bunch of possibilities.


Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 3736



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/22 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn MI, I was rooting for you to win your first championship.

Any of the top 4 plus Indiana can win the Big Ten tournament.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4931



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/22 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mich has lost 3 of their last 5 games, two of them to unranked teams. Quite a resume for a P-5 conference champ.

But ESPN will ignore the losses and point at their win against MD as proof of their greatness.


PG4ever



Joined: 14 May 2020
Posts: 219



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/22 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Mich has lost 3 of their last 5 games, two of them to unranked teams. Quite a resume for a P-5 conference champ.

But ESPN will ignore the losses and point at their win against MD as proof of their greatness.


Conference champ? Since when?


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin