RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Ten 2021-2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/29/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since you mentioned lax testing... Players and staff are only being tested this season when already symptomatic. No more required regular testing like last season. So to me, it seems like it's essentially a statistical certainty that the virus has already been passed along between teams via asymptomatic carriers this season. It's a crapshoot of who ends up showing symptoms.

As an aside, I feel concerned about the lack of regular testing. Like, the current system seems to deter testing, even when personnel are symptomatic, because a positive test means cancelled games, which no one wants. So I hope that this all isn't leading to coaches telling players to shrug off symptoms as "just" a cold, or whatever, in hopes of sweeping everything under the rug.

PostPosted: 11/29/21 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

double post

PostPosted: 11/30/21 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To follow up on the speculation about the state of the Iowa program, here's a tweet announcing that the full team practiced today.

Quote:

WE'RE BACK!

The #Hawkeyes are headed to Durham, N.C., on Thursday, taking on
@DukeWBB
in the #WB1GACC Challenge at 8 p.m. on
@espn.

Notes ➡️ http://bit.ly/3G1cPCv

PostPosted: 11/30/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
To follow up on the speculation about the state of the Iowa program, here's a tweet announcing that the full team practiced today.

Quote:

WE'RE BACK!

The #Hawkeyes are headed to Durham, N.C., on Thursday, taking on
@DukeWBB
in the #WB1GACC Challenge at 8 p.m. on
@espn.

Notes ➡️ http://bit.ly/3G1cPCv

Well, let's hope your 'signature line' ("Wrong about most things most of the time Mr. Green" ).... is not on the mark for this particular event.

PostPosted: 11/30/21 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Well, let's hope your 'signature line' ("Wrong about most things most of the time Mr. Green" ).... is not on the mark for this particular event.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 12/01/21 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Undersized...you called Nebraska. Wow. They destroyed undefeated Wake Forest, 86-60 on the road. Granted they haven't played the most difficult schedule, but they are 8-0. They play at Minnesota next Monday and I'll be curious to see how that game goes. I am assuming they will beat them soundly.

Also tonight, Purdue got a buzzer beater victory over Georgia Tech. That makes their second straight win over the ACC. If I recall, GA Tech was a preseason Top 25 team and also picked to finish 3rd in the ACC. I truly did not see these 2 wins coming.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 12/02/21 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To be fair to Georgia Tech they’ve been missing some key pieces due to injuries, but they really should beat Purdue.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/02/21 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's sad to say, but the Big Ten will be lucky to have two top-16 seeds (first and second round NCAA tournament hosts) after this beat down.

PostPosted: 12/02/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The B10 is 6th in Conference RPI, right behind the American, coming in to tonight

PostPosted: 12/03/21 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like the tagline for this season is just gonna be "is the Big Ten okay?"

PostPosted: 12/03/21 4:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The B10 is 6th in Conference RPI, right behind the American, coming in to tonight

What makes their NET rating 3rd but RPI 6th? Net is more important now for tournament purposes but does anyone know what makes one rating much better for a league than another?

pilight

PostPosted: 12/03/21 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
pilight wrote:

What makes their NET rating 3rd but RPI 6th? Net is more important now for tournament purposes but does anyone know what makes one rating much better for a league than another?

NET rating is still last year's rating. They don't start releasing NET results until January. RPI has a public formula, anyone can calculate it. NET is a secret, only the NCAA knows what goes into it.

PostPosted: 12/03/21 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

What would the American be if UCONN was still in it? Are we finally seeing the affects of UCONN in that conference now that we've left? Not to make this about UCONN and I'm sorry(I won't do it again), but this is funny to me.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/03/21 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

What would the American be if UCONN was still in it? Are we finally seeing the affects of UCONN in that conference now that we've left? Not to make this about UCONN and I'm sorry(I won't do it again), but this is funny to me.

My guess is they'd still be 5th. The gap between the P12 (the #4 conference) and the American is pretty wide. The Hussies rank highly on RPI but they've only played four games, which limits their impact. They've only dragged the BEast up to 8th.

PostPosted: 12/03/21 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
It's sad to say, but the Big Ten will be lucky to have two top-16 seeds (first and second round NCAA tournament hosts) after this beat down.

You may be right. That was quite the slaughter on the ESPN networks last night. Iowa looked a little off, most likely from the time off due to covid. Indiana will be fine, I think. I expected a lot more from Michigan, not a win, but at least being somewhat competitive. I know Maryland won, but they didn't dominate Miami like you would think they would.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/03/21 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

You may be right. That was quite the slaughter on the ESPN networks last night. Iowa looked a little off, most likely from the time off due to covid. Indiana will be fine, I think. I expected a lot more from Michigan, not a win, but at least being somewhat competitive. I know Maryland won, but they didn't dominate Miami like you would think they would.

Agree on all counts. Best chance for the conference at this point is either Maryland or Indiana as a 2-seed and the other at 3 or 4. Maybe each could snag a 2-seed if they don't drop any games in conference play except to each other. Michigan and Iowa still might have a chance at a 4 seed if they could beat either or Indiana or Maryland at least once and not suffer any terrible losses. I write all this knowing it's more about your draw than your seed anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Iowa's last three non-conference games will be crucial for their resume and the conference as a whole:
12/8 @ Iowa State
12/18 vs UCF
12/21 vs IUPUI

These are three of biggest non-conference games left for Big Ten, as well as:
12/11 Northwestern vs Delaware
12/12 Maryland @ South Carolina
12/19 Nebraska vs Drake
12/19 Michigan vs Baylor (Hall of Fame Showcase)
12/19 Ohio State @ UCLA
12/20 Michigan State vs FGCU (West Palm Beach Invitational)
12/21 Michigan State vs West Virginia (West Palm Beach Invitational)
12/21 Northwestern vs Oregon

PostPosted: 12/05/21 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

800 wins for Lisa Bluder.

PostPosted: 12/18/21 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa squeaks out an 8 point win against UCF that could easily have been a 20 point game. As soon as Iowa would get a double digit lead double digits, instead of controlling the pace of the game, they decided it would be more fun to turn the ball over or rush a difficult shot early in the shot clock. Rolling Eyes Ended the game with 23 turnovers. I'll take the win but I am desperate for this team to display a bit more discipline in pretty much every way.

On the bright side, Iowa did manage to put up 69 points on greater than 43% shooting against a solid defensive team that thus far had not given up more than 56 points and has an OppFG% of ~35%.

PostPosted: 12/21/21 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting thing about Iowa:

In all three of Iowa's losses, a foul discrepancy, leading to a disproportionate number of free throws for the other team, has played a key role. This makes me believe Iowa needs to get better at playing defense without fouling and go up stronger on offensive when trying to draw fouls. Simply put, it will be hard to win when you can't get to the line at the same rate as you put the other team at the line.

vs. Duke
Iowa fouls: 19
Duke fouls: 10
Iowa FTs: 9-10
Duke FTs: 13-19

vs. Iowa State
Iowa fouls: 20
Iowa State fouls: 12
Iowa FTs: 5-6
Iowa State FTs: 16-22

vs. IUPUI
Iowa fouls: 15
IUPUI fouls: 13
Iowa FTs: 11-14
IUPUI FTs: 14-20

PostPosted: 12/21/21 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember Michigan took some flak here for needing OT to beat IUPUI in Ann Arbor (this was the game where Amy Dilk was injured :45 in). I thought IUPUI was a tough team then, but today’s win over Iowa proved it. They’ve had some bad luck in the Covid area with two forfeits and two cancellations.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/22/21 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I remember Michigan took some flak here for needing OT to beat IUPUI in Ann Arbor (this was the game where Amy Dilk was injured :45 in). I thought IUPUI was a tough team then, but today’s win over Iowa proved it. They’ve had some bad luck in the Covid area with two forfeits and two cancellations.

They are for sure a solid team. Well coached and executed everything near 100% in the fourth quarter. NCAA tournament caliber team for sure.

That said, Iowa utterly collapsed in the fourth quarter. We had a 17 point lead. I honestly don't think I've ever seen us play so poorly.

PostPosted: 12/22/21 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the thought on Penn State and the job Kieger is doing there? For the record, I like Kieger and would like to see her do well except for if she ever faces Marquette - my loyalty would be to Marquette in that case Smile.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/23/21 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
What's the thought on Penn State and the job Kieger is doing there? For the record, I like Kieger and would like to see her do well except for if she ever faces Marquette - my loyalty would be to Marquette in that case Smile.

Her first season they only had 1 B1G win, last year they had 6 conference wins (with two missed games due to opponent cancellations).

With a 4-point win over Rutgers and a 30-point loss to Indiana so far, they have a gauntlet of Iowa, Ohio State, Maryland and Michigan in their next four. They only play Illinois and Wisconsin once each this season, and the other sub-.500 conference opponents from last year are improved (Nebraska, Purdue and Minnesota). I think it’ll be another season of lower tier in the B1G for them.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/23/21 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Durantula wrote:
pilight wrote:

NET rating is still last year's rating. They don't start releasing NET results until January. RPI has a public formula, anyone can calculate it. NET is a secret, only the NCAA knows what goes into it.

Nebraska hasn’t faced a top-25 opponent yet and is in the “others receiving votes” category in the polls. In the NET they are #6. How does that work? It is the current season’s NET, right? https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-net-rankings

January 4th - 16th they play four top-25 games, Michigan, Indiana and Iowa x2. I’m curious to see how the Huskers stack up.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/23/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
pilight wrote:
Durantula wrote:
pilight wrote:

Nebraska hasn’t faced a top-25 opponent yet and is in the “others receiving votes” category in the polls. In the NET they are #6. How does that work? It is the current season’s NET, right? https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-net-rankings

January 4th - 16th they play four top-25 games, Michigan, Indiana and Iowa x2. I’m curious to see how the Huskers stack up.

They are winning by significant margins. They are in the top 10 in scoring margin, scoring offense. field goal percentage and field goal percentage defense. Obviously opponents go into a lot of the numbers stated above, which is why NET doesn't really become a significant number till conference play starts the teams that are racking up wins and numbers against "lessor" competition and the top teams within each conference start staking claim to their spots among the top.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: