RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/07/21 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It might be sacrilege in Uncasville, but I would see what I could get trading Alyssa Thomas. The team improved this year with her out, and they have never really figured out how to integrate their pieces with her on the court.

Trading her let's you build from this year and potentially add the piece you need.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 10/07/21 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
In order to move forward in 2022, Connecticut must analyze what happened in the Chicago series. The Sun had a great regular season. They finished with the best record in the league. They are a great defensive team. They have the league MVP on their team. BUT, they could not defeat Chicago. The Sun need to figure out if they need different players or to change their tactics in order for them to get over the hump and win a championship.

Unfortunately, my yearly lament of their inept (in terms of winning the ring) backcourt again comes to fruition. Jasmine Thomas IS NOT THE ANSWER.

They need a starting backcourt that can shoot.

Who can be had for BJ and AT, I wonder?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/07/21 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
It might be sacrilege in Uncasville, but I would see what I could get trading Alyssa Thomas. The team improved this year with her out, and they have never really figured out how to integrate their pieces with her on the court.

Trading her let's you build from this year and potentially add the piece you need.

Who's willing to take on Alyssa Thomas's contract as well ?? The Sun just maxxed her out this past off season . Who has the cap space and the fit for her ? Id take her in Dallas but we have Thornton so it wouldn't make much of a difference. Maybe ATL ?

PostPosted: 10/07/21 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

It's an understandable perspective, but I imagine that trading Brionna Jones is probably more likely. Less of a return, but easier to stomach. And they still haven't really seen how Bonner/AThomas/JJones could work.

PostPosted: 10/07/21 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Well, it's clear that Brionna Jones and Alyssa Thomas can't play together, Miller prefers AT and the Sun aren't winning anything with a Jasmine Thomas/Briann January backcourt.

Trade Jones for an elite guard who can score.

Would've been interesting if Courtney Williams agreed to sign whatever the Sun tried to offer her back in 2020's free agency. That's who the Sun needed in this semis series (and arguably last year's semis series as well).

She’s an UFA looking for a new home… Laughing

I mean, you're not wrong! "So CWill... will ya work for that *$140k 4-year deal* now?" Twisted Evil

(who knows what the real contract she turned down was)

180K was what the Sun originally offered C Will before they traded and Bonner came to them with her max deal in hand. The Mercury was the only team that could sign Bonner to a max deal.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/07/21 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Who's willing to take on Alyssa Thomas's contract as well ?? The Sun just maxxed her out this past off season . Who has the cap space and the fit for her ? Id take her in Dallas but we have Thornton so it wouldn't make much of a difference. Maybe ATL ?

If Thomas is healthy, she is absolutely a max player.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/07/21 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that they need to upgrade their back-court

January is a UFA and by my math if they stay the same fill out the end of the roster with pick 12 and two minimum-is contracts they will have about 75=90k to play with for a vet guard free agent whether it is January returning or someone to replace January.

I would probably just keep Bonner, A. Thomas, J, Jones and B. Jones and try to find decent minutes for all of them with either B. Jones or A. Thomas off the bench

I really like A. Thomas but her multi year max contract and possible long term health issues would probably make it very hard for other team to trade for her unless they are flipping their own expensive contract.

B. Jones 120K is a much more moveable but what guard do you bring back who would move the needle enough to give up B. Jones who has grown into a very good player and that guard would have to make around 120 to maybe 140K for it to work with the salary or you could move her for a pick and use the extra cap space to offer the same guards you might try to get at 85K something like 120K

Would Dallas do something like Mabery and pick 7 for B. Jones? Then Conn could add Mabery and use pick 7 for say Westbrook or Ch. Williams would that be enough of a back-court upgrade (Maybe they could try for A. Gray for B. Jones straight up but Gray makes just enough that even with the trade Conn would struggle to sign 11 players if they also max out J. Jones).

Would Atl do B. Jones for a sign and trade for Hayes? (If I was Conn I would probably try and see if Hayes or Sims or SWK would just sign for the 85K without a trade but if those players wanted more money it would have to be a sign and trade from Conn's end).

Money/talent-wise it is hard to find a good trade partner for a Conn that bring backs a vet guard who makes between 100 and 130K.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 10/07/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

If Thomas is healthy, she is absolutely a max player.

I'd feel better if she got the surgery and fixed her labrums which I'm surprised she didn't do while she was out with the ACL injury. Maybe that would fix her FT shooting. I call her 50% FT instead of AT sometimes.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/07/21 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Would Dallas do something like Mabrey and pick 7 for B. Jones?

Great idea. Mabrey is a legit shooter but will still be cheap in 2022. Dallas meanwhile could certainly use another veteran post presence (it would also free them up to move Alarie, Collier, or Kuier). I believe Dallas has Pick 6 and not Pick 7 – the Wings & Sky never swapped picks since the Wings finished below the Sky in the standings – but that shouldn't matter much for the Wings.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/07/21 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Would Dallas do something like Mabrey and pick 7 for B. Jones?

Great idea. Mabrey is a legit shooter but will still be cheap in 2022. Dallas meanwhile could certainly use another veteran post presence (it would also free them up to move Alarie, Collier, or Kuier). I believe Dallas has Pick 6 and not Pick 7 – the Wings & Sky never swapped picks since the Wings finished below the Sky in the standings – but that shouldn't matter much for the Wings.

It would be hard for CT to give up B.Jones. Their post depth is pretty much non-existent. I'm not convinced that JJ with AT is enough. AT really needs to expand her game beyond barrelling down the lane, running over people, and hoping her shot put will go in. Plus finding guards tends to be easier than finding posts.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/07/21 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't how contract stuff works in the W, but can someone tell me if Bonner is one of those max players? Having a vet on the payroll who does not show up enough in the post season, is not what CONN needs. They need vet leadership, when they really NEED it. Unless that's January's job ???

Davis4632

PostPosted: 10/07/21 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
I don't how contract stuff works in the W, but can someone tell me if Bonner is one of those max players? Having a vet on the payroll who does not show up enough in the post season, is not what CONN needs. They need vet leadership, when they really NEED it. Unless that's January's job ???

Yes Bonner is a max player.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/08/21 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DP

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 10/08/21 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/08/21 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

January is a UFA and by my math if they stay the same fill out the end of the roster with pick 12 and two minimum-is contracts they will have about 75=90k to play with for a vet guard free agent whether it is January returning or someone to replace January.

I would probably just keep Bonner, A. Thomas, J, Jones and B. Jones and try to find decent minutes for all of them with either B. Jones or A. Thomas off the bench

I really like A. Thomas but her multi year max contract and possible long term health issues would probably make it very hard for other team to trade for her unless they are flipping their own expensive contract.

B. Jones 120K is a much more moveable but what guard do you bring back who would move the needle enough to give up B. Jones who has grown into a very good player and that guard would have to make around 120 to maybe 140K for it to work with the salary or you could move her for a pick and use the extra cap space to offer the same guards you might try to get at 85K something like 120K

Would Dallas do something like Mabery and pick 7 for B. Jones? Then Conn could add Mabery and use pick 7 for say Westbrook or Ch. Williams would that be enough of a back-court upgrade (Maybe they could try for A. Gray for B. Jones straight up but Gray makes just enough that even with the trade Conn would struggle to sign 11 players if they also max out J. Jones).

Would Atl do B. Jones for a sign and trade for Hayes? (If I was Conn I would probably try and see if Hayes or Sims or SWK would just sign for the 85K without a trade but if those players wanted more money it would have to be a sign and trade from Conn's end).

Money/talent-wise it is hard to find a good trade partner for a Conn that bring backs a vet guard who makes between 100 and 130K.

Hayes already stated she needs to get a pay raise from ATL after the new CBA gave out all this money to players who have less tenure than her so i doubt she goes for the low ball.

PostPosted: 10/08/21 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I really like Bri- Jones, she has come a long way in a short amount of time but I would rather go after Mercedes Russell, keep our two first round picks, make the necessary cuts or trades and live with my decision!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/08/21 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I really like Bri- Jones, she has come a long way in a short amount of time but I would rather go after Mercedes Russell, keep our two first round picks, make the necessary cuts or trades and live with my decision!

I like that idea DFDubz , Russel could definitely help us down low. Defensively mainly is what we need and she can provide that against some of the bigger teams.

PostPosted: 10/08/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I like that idea DFDubz , Russel could definitely help us down low. Defensively mainly is what we need and she can provide that against some of the bigger teams.

😁😁😁😁

Davis4632

PostPosted: 10/08/21 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Well, it's clear that Brionna Jones and Alyssa Thomas can't play together, Miller prefers AT and the Sun aren't winning anything with a Jasmine Thomas/Briann January backcourt.

Trade Jones for an elite guard who can score.

Would've been interesting if Courtney Williams agreed to sign whatever the Sun tried to offer her back in 2020's free agency. That's who the Sun needed in this semis series (and arguably last year's semis series as well).

She’s an UFA looking for a new home… Laughing

I mean, you're not wrong! "So CWill... will ya work for that *$140k 4-year deal* now?" Twisted Evil

(who knows what the real contract she turned down was)

180K was what the Sun originally offered C Will before they traded and Bonner came to them with her max deal in hand. The Mercury was the only team that could sign Bonner to a max deal.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/08/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CT front court will be fine with more time together and clearly defined roles for BJones and DBonner. They didn't work for semi finals due to lack of the above.

Backcourt needs a shooting guard who can shoot and defend. Period. Hiedeman was the only guard who showed up. JThomas is under contract. January is past her prime. CWilliams is not the answer. She's a chemistry buster. Plum is too expensive and her defense is not up to CT standards.

If CT has to give up BJones to get a shooter, then bringing in a young, tall, cheap center is priority. There are several in this draft and several under rookie contracts.

Core = J.Jones, A.Thomas and Bonner. They simply need a decent shooter and back up big. They need to acquire those without giving up any of the core. Adding to the "must keeps" is Hiedeman.

~rAf
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 10/08/21 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Ugh, ima weigh in here. As a long suffering Tennessee fan, I’m against this. Mercedes just is not one to rely on. I’m happy to cheer her success on teams that aren’t mine. But, it seems big and slow is opposed to everything the Wings wanna do. Or I wanna see.

Plus, just no on trading Mabrey. Aside from her talent. She seems to be part of the foundation of the Wings. They’ve had enough Turnover. It’s time to support the their big 4.

Milks26

PostPosted: 10/08/21 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Ugh, ima weigh in here. As a long suffering Tennessee fan, I’m against this. Mercedes just is not one to rely on. I’m happy to cheer her success on teams that aren’t mine. But, it seems big and slow is opposed to everything the Wings wanna do. Or I wanna see.

Plus, just no on trading Mabrey. Aside from her talent. She seems to be part of the foundation of the Wings. They’ve had enough Turnover. It’s time to support the their big 4.

M. Russell. Hell nah! 2013 Hoopsgurlz #1 vs 2014 Hoopgurlz #1. Leave Russell where she is. I was never high on B. Jones. In the past whenever she subbed in for Jonquel the offense was terrible down low. She has improved and played well this year. Will that carry on next yr and with a diff team? No idea. But, I'd take her over Russell.

PostPosted: 10/08/21 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russell vastly improved this season and she’s guarded BG Cambage etc pretty well this year. I’d take her over any post we have right now but I do agree no on Trading Mabrey. TY Harris & #7 for Russell!??

PostPosted: 10/08/21 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Russell vastly improved this season and she’s guarded BG Cambage etc pretty well this year. I’d take her over any post we have right now but I do agree no on Trading Mabrey. TY Harris & #7 for Russell!??

just curious why you think Seattle would give up on Russell? I suspect they will put money on her rather than Canada if it comes down to that choice.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/09/21 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUMatty wrote:
Wilson and Cambage together aren't as good as the sum of their parts. It's the same issue as Jones and Thomas in CT. When your two best players are best at the same position, you have a problem.

I had to think for a hot second about who exactly you were referring to here. Razz

I might be in the minority, but I still see AThomas as more of a 3/4, and JJones as more of a 4/5, to where they can at least coexist together on the floor against virtually every other team. But in the same way that Laimbeer refuses to play A'ja Wilson as more of a full-time 5, Curt Miller seems to refuse to give Alyssa Thomas any minutes at the 3. I seem to remember AThomas giving a soundbite years ago about not being thrilled about being used more as a post player, but willing to accept the role.

I personally don't think that every SF in this League has to have a 3PT shot in order to be successful. Yes, having a 3PT shot helps, but especially if we're talking about AThomas here, she has more than enough skills on both ends of the floor to compensate for her literal lack of a jump shot.

For the record – assuming they all come back next season as expected, of course – I still think Miller should just try a JThomas-Bonner-AThomas-JJones-BJones starting lineup in 2022. Put your best 5 on the floor together – if it works, great. If it doesn't work, there are a couple ways he could tweak things. But I would generally say that none of the aforementioned starting 5 would be as effective off the bench than they would be as a starter (mostly talking about BJones here).

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 10/09/21 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
PUMatty wrote:
Wilson and Cambage together aren't as good as the sum of their parts. It's the same issue as Jones and Thomas in CT. When your two best players are best at the same position, you have a problem.

I had to think for a hot second about who exactly you were referring to here. Razz

I might be in the minority, but I still see AThomas as more of a 3/4, and JJones as more of a 4/5, to where they can at least coexist together on the floor against virtually every other team. But in the same way that Laimbeer refuses to play A'ja Wilson as more of a full-time 5, Curt Miller seems to refuse to give Alyssa Thomas any minutes at the 3. I seem to remember AThomas giving a soundbite years ago about not being thrilled about being used more as a post player, but willing to accept the role.

I personally don't think that every SF in this League has to have a 3PT shot in order to be successful. Yes, having a 3PT shot helps, but especially if we're talking about AThomas here, she has more than enough skills on both ends of the floor to compensate for her literal lack of a jump shot.

For the record – assuming they all come back next season as expected, of course – I still think Miller should just try a JThomas-Bonner-AThomas-JJones-BJones starting lineup in 2022. Put your best 5 on the floor together – if it works, great. If it doesn't work, there are a couple ways he could tweak things. But I would generally say that none of the aforementioned starting 5 would be as effective off the bench than they would be as a starter (mostly talking about BJones here).

Does Connecticut really need to change anything? They barely got beat by a red hot Sky team while trying to work on a returning player in AT. I wouldn’t change a thing unless salary issues forced a change.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: