RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big 12 2021-22
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okstateguy

PostPosted: 10/06/21 2:26 pm    ::: Big 12 2021-22 Reply Reply with quote

Big 12 announces Pre-season teams. Interesting that Aaliyah Moore is Pre-Season newcomer of the year, but Rori Harmon received HM while Moore received no spot on the team.

https://big12sports.com/news/2021/10/6/preseason-wbb-awards-announced.aspx

PostPosted: 10/06/21 6:46 pm    ::: Re: Big 12 2021-22 Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Big 12 announces Pre-season teams. Interesting that Aaliyah Moore is Pre-Season newcomer of the year, but Rori Harmon received HM while Moore received no spot on the team.

It looks like Aaliyah Moore was tapped as preseason freshman of the year? (Newcomer of the year was predicted to be Jordan Lewis.) Nevertheless your point still stands about why freshman Rori Harmon would make HM ahead of fellow freshman Moore but Moore take the FOY award. Confused

What makes one eligible as newcomer of the year? I'm guessing it could be a freshman or a transfer, but could it be someone like a "most improved" player who goes from few minutes in prior seasons to making a big contribution?

Also, maybe I'm overlooking it but was this voted on by the media or coaches?

Side note: Listing Lexi Donarski at 6'0'' is absurd. Laughing

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:17 pm    ::: Re: Big 12 2021-22 Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

It looks like Aaliyah Moore was tapped as preseason freshman of the year? (Newcomer of the year was predicted to be Jordan Lewis.) Nevertheless your point still stands about why freshman Rori Harmon would make HM ahead of fellow freshman Moore but Moore take the FOY award. Confused

What makes one eligible as newcomer of the year? I'm guessing it could be a freshman or a transfer, but could it be someone like a "most improved" player who goes from few minutes in prior seasons to making a big contribution?

Also, maybe I'm overlooking it but was this voted on by the media or coaches?

Newcomer can be a freshman or transfer.

With this being labeled as the Big 12's Preseason, I would assume this is coaches(maybe select media) voting.

PostPosted: 10/07/21 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://big12sports.com/news/2021/10/6/conference-baylor-chosen-as-big-12-favorite-in-preseason-poll.aspx

Personal prediction:
1. Texas
2. Baylor
3. West Virginia
4. Iowa State
5. OSU
6. OU
7. TCU
8. Texas Tech
9. Kansas State
10. Kansas

All in all, this is the most wide-open the league has been in years, and I'm excited to see how it plays out.

PostPosted: 10/07/21 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll throw a prediction out there.

1. Baylor
2. ISU
3. Texas
4. WVU
5. OSU
6. OU
the rest

PostPosted: 10/08/21 10:30 am    ::: Re: Big 12 2021-22 Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

She was listed at 5'10" when she was a high school senior. Based on this pic of her with 6'4" Matt Thomas, 5'10" seems about right (although she's wearing sandals and he's in basketball shoes).

https://twitter.com/CycloneMBB/status/1417241197710659594

For anyone unaware of the Donarski family connection to ISU (including Matt Thomas), there are a couple great articles here:

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/20190621/iowa-state-womens-basketball-all-roads-lead-to-isu---cyclone-commit-lexi-donarskis-life-of-basketball

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/2019/11/13/how-iowa-state-cyclones-landed-lexi-donarski-bill-fennelly-big-12-conference/2567784001/

TL:DR version -- Dave (Lexi's data) coached TJ Otzelberger (who did two stints as an ISU MBB assistant before becoming the current ISU MBB head coach, and is also the husband of former ISU WBB star Alison Lacey) when he was a high school assistant coach in the Milwaukee area. After the Donarskis moved to La Crosse, Dave coached future ISU MBB player Scott Christopherson at Aquinas High. Additionally, future ISU MBB player Matt Thomas, who grew up in the La Crosse area but didn't attend Aquinas, would often use the Donarski in-home gym and tag along during their frequent visits to Iowa State to see Otzelberger and Christopherson. So when Lexi was offered by ISU as an eighth-grader, accepting it was a no-brainer.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/09/21 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm. Those first 3 -4 teams could each snag the regular season title, as I see it. It'll be a MOST interesting season with lots of surprises, I predict. Cool

PostPosted: 10/19/21 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big 12 media day is today. I can post links at some point today.

PostPosted: 10/19/21 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big 12 Media Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bVTJxdMGtg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeGhzOY3AQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVUPzFrOg8M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M7acmXfmxg

PostPosted: 11/16/21 3:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After a full week of play we have:
Kansas State: 4-0
Baylor: 3-0
Oklahoma: 2-0
Iowa State: 2-0
Kansas: 2-0
Texas: 2-0
TCU: 1-0
Texas Tech : 1-0
Oklahoma State: 1-1
West Virginia: 0-0

Combined Record of 18-1, which is the best out of the Power 5 conferences so far(PAC and Big 10 are around a percentage point behind).

There a lot of positives(Texas, Nalyssa Smith, Ayoka Lee, only team to lose a game seemed to turn it around in game 2). Going to be interesting to watch moving forward as competition begins stepping up for most teams

PostPosted: 11/23/21 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Following Week 2:

Iowa State: 4-0
Kansas: 4-0
Texas Tech: 4-0
West Virginia: 3-0
OU: 5-1
Kansas State: 4-1
Baylor: 3-1
OK State: 3-1
Texas: 3-1
TCU: 1-2

PostPosted: 12/05/21 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa State bounces back, defeating Longwood 94-56. But more interestingly, here are some stat lines for the two players named "A. Joens." Care to guess which is Ashley and which is Aubrey?

24 points on 8-13 shooting (6-9 from 3), 14 rebounds, 2 steals.
16 points on 4-12 shooting (1-5 from 3), 12 rebounds, 2 steals.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Iowa State bounces back, defeating Longwood 94-56. But more interestingly, here are some stat lines for the two players named "A. Joens." Care to guess which is Ashley and which is Aubrey?

Ashley usually has more rebounds, which is the metric I mostly use to tell them apart lol. So I'd say Ashley is the first

PostPosted: 12/06/21 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Ashley usually has more rebounds, which is the metric I mostly use to tell them apart lol. So I'd say Ashley is the first

That's exactly the trap I fell into! Glad you took the bait. Smile

PostPosted: 12/08/21 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know why Gabby Gregory hasn't played yet this season?

PostPosted: 12/08/21 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Anyone know why Gabby Gregory hasn't played yet this season?

https://www.yahoo.com/now/ou-womens-basketball-notepad-watch-144500549.html

This article mentions an "undisclosed medial issue."

PostPosted: 12/08/21 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

That's exactly the trap I fell into! Glad you took the bait. Smile

Aubrey has taken a huge leap in productivity this season. She doesn't play like Ashley -- she's 5'8" compared to Ashley's 6'1", so she's more of a traditional shooting guard and isn't posting people up, but she's driving to the basket more than last season.

That rebound number above is no fluke. She's crashing the boards like crazy this season and averages 8.9 rpg, only half a rebound below Ashley's average.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/08/21 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting to see how the Big 12 is currently positioned: Baylor is on top, IA St. second, OK third, with the 2 KS schools rounding out the top 5 as we draw closer to conference play. The biggest surprise to me is OK....they've been so lackluster the past few seasons, I just didn't foresee this quick turnaround. Their OOC play has been quite good.

I still think TX is going to top the league, by April. Baylor? Tough to predict.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Interesting to see how the Big 12 is currently positioned: Baylor is on top, IA St. second, OK third, with the 2 KS schools rounding out the top 5 as we draw closer to conference play. The biggest surprise to me is OK....they've been so lackluster the past few seasons, I just didn't foresee this quick turnaround. Their OOC play has been quite good.

I still think TX is going to top the league, by April. Baylor? Tough to predict.

Preseason, I had:
1. Texas
2. Baylor
3. West Virginia
4. Iowa State
5. OSU
6. OU
7. TCU
8. Texas Tech
9. Kansas State
10. Kansas

If I had to redo it now:
1. Texas
2. Iowa State
3. OU
4. Baylor
5.West Virginia
6. Kansas State
7. Kansas/OSU/Texas Tech
10. TCU

I fully expect 2 or 3 schools to be looking for new coaches following this season.

PostPosted: 01/13/22 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

a month ago Howee wrote:

Verrrry interesting dynamic playing out. Obviously, lots of games to play, but I don't think too many people could have foreseen that, by the first week of conference, Baylor's at THE BOTTOM of the BIG 12. Shocked Shocked

Interesting comparison between the 2 New Kids In The Conference: Collen and Baranczyk. One has far more and varied experience in coaching, and 'inherits' the leading team from last season. The OTHER one has a fine-but-more-limited pedigree in the field; she inherits a program on its way down the tubes. ONE is doing quite well. ONE is slip-slidin' away.

PostPosted: 01/13/22 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kansas won at Texas in overtime last night?!?! The Jayhawks are 11-2, 2-1. When on earth did this happen? I had no idea they were this much improved.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/13/22 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Kansas won at Texas in overtime last night?!?! The Jayhawks are 11-2, 2-1. When on earth did this happen? I had no idea they were this much improved.

I think it's basically the old adage that, on any given night, any team can beat any other team.

PostPosted: 01/13/22 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

I think it's basically the old adage that, on any given night, any team can beat any other team.

Orrrrr.....maybe the Kansas and other coaches read the Rebkell thread on "Hot Seats" Laughing

As a former OK diehard fan, I find it amazing how well they are doing, and ya GOTTA credit Jenny B. for that....I know she got Llanusa back into the lineup, which makes OK much better, but....THAT much better?? Shocked

PostPosted: 01/13/22 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting tidbit: Taylor Robertson passed Laurie Koehn as the all time 3 point leader for the Big 12 conference last night.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/13/22 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Interesting tidbit: Taylor Robertson passed Laurie Koehn as the all time 3 point leader for the Big 12 conference last night.

Taylor can flat out shoot it . Hoping she gets a Shot in the WNBA. Koehn made her impact with the mystics even winning the 3pt shoot out at the WNBA all start Game. Robertsons game is way more evolved than Koehn.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: