31%  [ 7 ]
Mercury
68%
 68%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 22

Shades

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:

I expected Vegas to make shots. I didn’t expect the Mercury to be asleep.

Taurasi has excuses to be somewhat sleepless or distracted.

Now I wonder if she’ll miss Game 5, because some things are more important than basketball.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mercfan

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:
I already stated this earlier in the thread but the Mercury were just better everywhere in games two and three. There’s obvious personnel differences in game four AND Griner shot 6-19.

I saw when you said it; my argument is that, based on how these teams compare, on paper, they shouldn't have been. Aces had the better "counting stats," and the advanced numbers favored them, too: better eFG%, better net rating, better defensive FG% allowed, and much greater margin of victory, despite playing at the fastest pace in the league, which suggests a better overall defense. The Mercury only had a "clear" advantage at two positions (three, if Taurasi is hot), but the Aces, again, on paper, have a better team, 1 through 12.

The only real anomaly, in my opinion, was Griner being aggressive, offensively, but still not able to score. Can't explain that; that's something that almost never happens. Usually, when she decides that she's gonna get hers, there's nothing that anybody can do about it. Everything else between the Aces and Mercury tonight looked like a progression/regression to the mean.

Fair points.

The healthiest the Mercury have been all season was also games two and three haha. I just feel like this particular season the Mercury are better than everyone when healthy.

That all went to hell today.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:
I already stated this earlier in the thread but the Mercury were just better everywhere in games two and three. There’s obvious personnel differences in game four AND Griner shot 6-19.

I saw when you said it; my argument is that, based on how these teams compare, on paper, they shouldn't have been. Aces had the better "counting stats," and the advanced numbers favored them, too: better eFG%, better net rating, better defensive FG% allowed, and much greater margin of victory, despite playing at the fastest pace in the league, which suggests a better overall defense. The Mercury only had a "clear" advantage at two positions (three, if Taurasi is hot), but the Aces, again, on paper, have a better team, 1 through 12.

The only real anomaly, in my opinion, was Griner being aggressive, offensively, but still not able to score. Can't explain that; that's something that almost never happens. Usually, when she decides that she's gonna get hers, there's nothing that anybody can do about it. Everything else between the Aces and Mercury tonight looked like a progression/regression to the mean.

It’s no coincidence the Aces’ perimeter “came alive” when the most physical perimeter defenders were forced to sit due to injury. Not taking anything away from LV, but the dynamic absolutely changed once Nurse went down.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Now I wonder if she’ll miss Game 5, because some things are more important than basketball.

Yep, such as a new baby. Or dental procedures. Very Happy

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
It’s no coincidence the Aces’ perimeter “came alive” when the most physical perimeter defenders were forced to sit due to injury.

Why did they "come alive" in Game 1?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:

It’s no coincidence the Aces’ perimeter “came alive” when the most physical perimeter defenders were forced to sit due to injury. Not taking anything away from LV, but the dynamic absolutely changed once Nurse went down.

The difference in this game is that Liz, Wilson, and Gray all came out fired up and ready to play, and the Aces didn't dig themselves into a fairly insurmountable hole by half-time. That effort is what's been missing in the last 2 games.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
It’s no coincidence the Aces’ perimeter “came alive” when the most physical perimeter defenders were forced to sit due to injury.

And why were they nonexistent until either were unavailable to play since?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vegas might play a lot better in game 5, than they did in game 2 and 3..but Phoenix will play a lot better in game 5 too.

I’ve seen them have poor games, or Lazy games..but legit everyone outside of Hartley lost their damn mind this game. This is typically a team that watches people run by..not over hustles.

I don’t know what it was..maybe some nerves for going into the finals..maybe a rush by DT to win because her mind was elsewhere..don’t know. Maybe the Chemistry was all messed up because of Nurse being out.

But I very much doubt we’ll see it again. Doesn’t mean the Merc will win, but they won’t look like that.

And I said it all night. Brit is the best player in the world, and a huge impact player 99% of the time. Tonight was that 1%.

Shades wrote:
mercfan wrote:

I expected Vegas to make shots. I didn’t expect the Mercury to be asleep.

I have no anticipation of seeing Taurasi in game 5.

Going to be an anticlimactic ending to such a unique series.

I’ll be really happy for Dee and Penny though!

Question for a historian. Has a team ever won a playoff series losing two games by the margin of game 2 and 3?

Last edited by mercfan on 10/06/21 11:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rock Hard

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Nurse IS an important component for the Mercury. Not trash after all.

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Nurse IS an important component for the Mercury. Not trash after all.

Never understood the fans that thought otherwise. We were doomed the second she went down, especially with Sophie already out. Peddy and Walker just don’t have the toughness and size to make a difference defensively.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

And why were they nonexistent until either were unavailable to play since?

Silky Johnson wrote:
Vegas frustrates me with how undisciplined they are: they play like they think that they can just out-talent everybody.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Vegas might play a lot better in game 5, than they did in game 2 and 3..but Phoenix will play a lot better in game 5 too.

I’ve seen them have poor games, or Lazy games..but legit everyone outside of Hartley lost their damn mind this game. This is typically a team that watches people run by..not over hustles.

I don’t know what it was..maybe some nerves for going into the finals..maybe a rush by DT to win because her mind was elsewhere..don’t know. Maybe the Chemistry was all messed up because of Nurse being out.

But I very much doubt we’ll see it again. Doesn’t mean the Merc will win, but they won’t look like that.

I have no confidence in Vegas' ability to win a winner-take-all Game 5, without McCoughtry.

Now, if Dracula doesn't play... anything can happen.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 10/07/21 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
These merc are on a mission I mean business. Vegas is done for it .

Just gonna leave this right here ... Very Happy

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 10/07/21 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Phoenix already shooting great. This is over.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/07/21 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
These merc are on a mission I mean business. Vegas is done for it .

As long as your team does not leave this performance right here you have a shot Friday.

PostPosted: 10/07/21 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I have no confidence in Vegas' ability to win a winner-take-all Game 5, without McCoughtry.

Now, if Dracula doesn't play... anything can happen.

I like that nickname for DT.

Totally depends on who is available for the Mercury. If Nurse, Sophie, and Diana are out..we’re in a lot of trouble.

If Sophie and DT play, Bria can take Nurse’s minutes and we should be okay.

If one of the two is playing, we have a shot but advantage Vegas. (Of course, bigger advantage of Sophie is the one..)

A lot of things are up in the air for the Merc, which I think is part of the reason they lost their collective minds last game.

PostPosted: 10/07/21 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any word on Nurse's MRI?

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 10/07/21 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How rude of Vegas making BG pack her bags after saying she wasn’t going too Laughing Laughing

Close out games are the toughest in the playoff. Aces came out with the right energy while Phx looked a step slow all game. BG had a off night after having two good games in a row.

Hating seeing Nurse get hurt.

Glad Vegas won & Gray had a good game.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/07/21 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merc losing Nurse early was big. I don't expect her to play in game 5. Sophie might be back. Will be interesting to see if the Merc can use the day off to make the adjustments needed.

I'd be shocked if DT doesn't play.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/07/21 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
How rude of Vegas making BG pack her bags after saying she wasn’t going too :lol: :lol:

I mean, I guess she still doesn't have to: she can go to Vegas in her dirty drawls.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/07/21 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just read through this whole thread. Mercury fan whining was cringeworthy.

Y'all have a couple of good games and you're invinceable. NOT.

Congrats to Merc on getting this far with injured/hobbled players playing out of their freaking minds. But the second best team in the league has been doing it all season without their prime player signed out of free agency. Las Vegas has The Point Gawd in Chelsea and you don't. (and yes this does go back to college, when Skylar and Odyssey were annointed 1 & 2 when Chelsea Gray was CLEARLY #1) Have your big injuries young and in college and roar into the pros like a lion.

Giner had been looking like MVP of the post season. But she won't get it if her team doesn't make it to the Finals. Suck it up Merc fans. Her team falling in the semi-finals does not dislodge the league MVP from Jonquel Jones' hands. She won in a LANDSLIDE.

~rAf
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/07/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Congrats to Merc on getting this far with injured/hobbled players playing out of their freaking minds. But the second best team in the league has been doing it all season without their prime player signed out of free agency. Las Vegas has The Point Gawd in Chelsea and you don't. (and yes this does go back to college, when Skylar and Odyssey were annointed 1 & 2 when Chelsea Gray was CLEARLY #1) Have your big injuries young and in college and roar into the pros like a lion.

Giner had been looking like MVP of the post season. But she won't get it if her team doesn't make it to the Finals. Suck it up Merc fans. Her team falling in the semi-finals does not dislodge the league MVP from Jonquel Jones' hands. She won in a LANDSLIDE.

Your tone seems very pointed right now.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/07/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Truths have been spoken. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 10/07/21 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
How rude of Vegas making BG pack her bags after saying she wasn’t going too Laughing Laughing

I mean, I guess she still doesn't have to: she can go to Vegas in her dirty drawls.
Laughing Laughing See this is why I don’t believe in talking trash until the job is done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: