RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Both Final Fours in Same City??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/22/21 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
pilight wrote:
Val Ackerman talks ideas to elevate women’s basketball to next level in light of NCAA’s gender inequities

Quote:
Combining the Final Fours could model Grand Slams in tennis where the men’s and women’s tours come together, but sequence the competition so that men’s and women’s games aren’t on the same days.

I assumed they wouldn't be on the same days. Same day games wouldn't help the women at all, regardless of what the staggered start times would be. Unless of course they alternated games...women at noon, men at 2:30; women at 6, men at 8:30. But I don't see anything like that happening. I assumed they would play on different days like they do now.

I mean, it's good that the NCAA is looking into options to help the women's game.

I still disagree about putting the F4s together. However, Val Ackerman is much smarter than me and knows the business many times better.

PostPosted: 10/27/21 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
*nods* My experience with MBB/WBB doubleheaders as a fan (at St. John's, at Seton Hall, at LIU, at Fordham) is the same. If you put the men first, the MBB fans pretty much all leave as soon as the MBB game is done. If you put the women first, the MBB fans wander in in the middle of the WBB game without regard to the fact that people might be watching it. And in either case, the ticket prices get jacked up (and it gets even stickier if WBB is general admission and MBB is assigned seating, or if you're a team guest and the benches are reversed between games).

Some of that is not germane to the point, but the concept remains: if MBB fans are placed in a position where they think they're being forced to pay attention to WBB, 90% of the time... they won't; if arrangements for MBB and WBB clash, the arrangements for WBB must give way to arrangements for MBB. It is passing rare that, in a situation where MBB and WBB are sharing anything, that MBB will surrender even equal space to WBB (which is what makes the Suns/Merc doubleheader truly remarkable).

This is what some of us are worried about: we, as WBB fans, which I assume we all are here because otherwise why are you here, will see WBB get all the negatives of the MBB experience without its positives.

This is my opinion as well, this move would badly hurt WBB. prices would prevent many WBB fans from attending the combined FF, and the mens fans would not go to the wbb FF even if you gave them free tickets in most cases. So the men will still have their experience, while the women would play to mostly empty seats....... how does that help the growth or perception of the sport?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: