RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

And this month's abusive college coach is...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/27/21 10:18 pm    ::: And this month's abusive college coach is... Reply Reply with quote

Cameron Newbauer, formerly of the University of Florida and previously at Belmont. Some of the lowlights:

Quote:
Kinslow and Johnson, a fifth-year who now plays for Delaware, remember how Newbauer told them to change their clothes and cover up their tattoos. He asked players to do so because he didn’t want his three daughters to mimic their style.

Quote:
Even though he had no expertise in their field, he chastised trainers. The team branded Newbauer “Dr. Google” and quipped he received his medical degree from Wikipedia.

Quote:
One time, Newbauer told Hayes at a practice before an away game that he would leave her there. He also instructed Johnson to stand by the wall during practice and perform a wall sit with her hands above her head.

He then hurled basketballs toward her head. It wasn’t the first time. Newbauer also threw a ball at a junior teammate and hit her injured leg for not paying attention in practice, Lorenzen said. The player was sitting out with a torn ACL.

(now with spelling variations)
undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/27/21 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, it's just too sad for words to express what he put all those girls through. And for so many years...

The administrators and his assistants who covered up his abuse need to be held accountable as well.

PostPosted: 09/27/21 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A coach with that psychopathic tendency didn't just get that way when he started coaching in a college setting. How the hell did he get far as he did?? Shocked

It's amazing, how one like him can fool so many

Ohio Valley COY? Really??

PostPosted: 09/28/21 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Link to the Facebook page of a Fort Wayne tv station. It's just a few minutes from where Newbauer is from.

Only two comments so far, but one is implying that kids are weak these days. Compares him to Bobby Knight.

https://www.facebook.com/wane15/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/28/21 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are coaches that ask players to cover tattoos. Not so much these days but certainly in the past. Pat Summitt used to. Not sure about Holly. Tats are more accepted now than they used to be.

The comment about the trainers, however, kinda hits home. That's more common than you might think. My grandson just left the school where he'd signed his NIL because the coach didn't take his injury seriously and didn't send him to the trainer.

PostPosted: 09/28/21 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
There are coaches that ask players to cover tattoos. Not so much these days but certainly in the past. Pat Summitt used to. Not sure about Holly. Tats are more accepted now than they used to be.

The comment about the trainers, however, kinda hits home. That's more common than you might think. My grandson just left the school where he'd signed his NIL because the coach didn't take his injury seriously and didn't send him to the trainer.

But, off the court, while running errands?

"Newbauer ordered his assistant coaches to take two Black freshmen, Jalaysha Thomas and Tameria Johnson, shopping during the 2017-2018 season. He thought the “wife beaters” and long shorts they wore to run errands were inappropriate, and the assistant coaches used UAA funds to pay for Newbauer-approved clothing. Kinslow and Johnson, a fifth-year who now plays for Delaware, remember how Newbauer told them to change their clothes and cover up their tattoos. He asked players to do so because he didn’t want his three daughters to mimic their style."

PostPosted: 09/28/21 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

But, off the court, while running errands?

"Newbauer ordered his assistant coaches to take two Black freshmen, Jalaysha Thomas and Tameria Johnson, shopping during the 2017-2018 season. He thought the “wife beaters” and long shorts they wore to run errands were inappropriate, and the assistant coaches used UAA funds to pay for Newbauer-approved clothing. Kinslow and Johnson, a fifth-year who now plays for Delaware, remember how Newbauer told them to change their clothes and cover up their tattoos. He asked players to do so because he didn’t want his three daughters to mimic their style."

Agreed, that is a bit much. Prissy-ass jerk.

PostPosted: 09/28/21 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
“wife beaters”

Surely I'm not the only one that absolutely hates that term. I have never said it and never will. I mean, while we are cancelling out so many things, how about someone add that term to the list.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/28/21 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since it looks like the other Facebook comment I had referred to earlier has been removed, I'll post this one.

Quote:
Adam Dager
I talked to him right after he resigned. People and their kids at that level are super fun. Just remember, the entitlement culture runs deep at that level...nobody wants a coach, it's all about little Sally's and little Suzy's , unicorns and rainbows once you get to any college level. Little University of Saint Francis's coach said at a softball showcase this past Sunday, "If I hear you or your parents chewing on the coach's or umpire's ears, I will not ever offer you an opportunity to play here regardless of your talent level." Cam didn't get there by being a douche...he got there from success and coaching hundreds of men and women to success in and of the court for over 20 years now. Poor babies can't handle the truths about their work ethic, mistakes, lack of teamwork, or their daughter's play time. Obviously being offered and signing a 3 year contract extension worth likely $400-600K weeks before this triggered this "uprising" with a couple parents and couple players and speaks the truth about what the University thinks about these allegations. Their loss...this year they were going to the Big Dance in all likelihood. He inherited the program in disarray 3 short years ago. This past year was his first true recruiting class. The toxicity from these people reporting it will never come out and these players will be someone else's problem, or will likely never get the shot at what would've been in store had they bought into the real world atmosphere he created of reward and consequence...Nothing but respect for him!
Just typical for the local news to report something without detailing, and people to jump to conclusions that it's accurate. Here's the original article from the college:
https://www.alligator.org/.../former-florida-womens...
He told me about not bringing players back after his first year...pretty typical of how things go at a big school under new coaches. Just think it's b.s.
Cam's not a racist, he's not discriminatory, but yes, he's a competitor...

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 09/29/21 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
“wife beaters”

Surely I'm not the only one that absolutely hates that term. I have never said it and never will. I mean, while we are cancelling out so many things, how about someone add that term to the list.

You're not the only one.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/29/21 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Must be his best buddy from high school. From the WANE TV Facebook page.

Quote:

Adam Dager
Playtime is not earned, it's expected...especially at that level. Look around you year after year of the players hopping from college to college. It is not for education purposes. It is a use or get used mentality. Track Cam's coaching history and success...and this may be off. He didn't just get offered the Florida job because he was in with boosters. The dude played 1 year at Madonna, transferred and quit basketball, started coaching 7th grade at Leo, was a grad assistant/manager at IPFW, got a grad job at Georgia, was hired as an assistant at Sienna (went to Big Dance), was hired back at Georgia as an assistant (went to Big Dance), switched to girls side at Georgia and hired on (went to Big Dance), was hired by Louisville (went to Big Dance Championship), hired by Bellmont (offered IU job after first year there, turned it down, took them to Big Dance multiple years), and then hired by Florida. First year after taking over program, 8-9 players including a soccer player were left. Those that complained were not stars or starters and he was honest about what he foresaw regarding their playtime. They complained to admin then and it was researched with film, etc. Nothing was done regarding these allegations 4 years ago because the allegations are false. Now do a favor and track the players mentioned...there are toxic players and parents in the world. Trust me! I don't Coach at that level, but even in travel softball, it is not what you assume. The kid that wrote the article has been on a witch hunt since his resignation trying to make it seem as though it was not for personal reasons that he departed. Those that know Cam know the truth. I'm disappointed that WANE didn't dig deeper before producing this...sure, there are allegations, but most don't read past the headline and this will tarnish his name because that is how the world works...guilty until proven innocent.

tfan

PostPosted: 09/29/21 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The revered Auriemma is probably not alone in requiring tattoos to be covered.

Quote:
Though UConn has a host of rules about a player’s appearance — tattoos can’t be visible during a game, nail polish can’t be worn during the season, etc. — Edwards never received any pushback about her hair from anyone in the program.

https://www.theuconnblog.com/2021/3/29/22264319/uconn-huskies-womens-basketball-aaliyah-edwards-purple-and-gold-braids-kobe-bryant-her-late-brother

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/01/21 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32313889/florida-gators-women-basketball-players-detail-alleged-abuse-former-coach-cam-newbauer

Pretty damning not just for Newbauer but for the athletic department and for Kelley Rae Finley, both of whom were clearly complicit.

PostPosted: 10/01/21 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32313889/florida-gators-women-basketball-players-detail-alleged-abuse-former-coach-cam-newbauer

Pretty damning not just for Newbauer but for the athletic department and for Kelley Rae Finley, both of whom were clearly complicit.

Even more grievances come to light in the ESPN article. Even if Rae Finley felt she was holding a Sinking ship together, it’s obvious that the players who left didn’t see her efforts to cover for Newbauer as doing enough. She’s probablyin a similar situation as Vonn Read in Syracuse.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/29/21 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some current Florida players talk about the change of coaching and their support for former-assistant-now-head-coach Kelli Rae Finley.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ocala.com/amp/8580342002

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/29/21 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know what wife-beaters are other than the literal translation. But if the assistants bought clothes for the girls I would think that would be an NCAA rules transgression.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/29/21 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In general I do think there is much more 'me-first' and entitlement feelings these days, so I'm not against discipline, but there is a limit to the toughness a coach can implement. He clearly crossed the line. I'm astonished too at the lack of research some of these players do or don't do before making a commitment. It's important to figure out before you get there if you think you want to spend 4 or 5 years in close contact with this individual. Talk to the players who are there! Talk to any players who left! Talk to players who graduated!

Howee

PostPosted: 10/29/21 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It's important to figure out before you get there if you think you want to spend 4 or 5 years in close contact with this individual. Talk to the players who are there! Talk to any players who left! Talk to players who graduated!

May not be easy, but certainly a wise move.

I really doubt that this guy is somehow innocent; too much, from too many. I never saw any of his players step up to defend him. And even some Big Name coaches can *slip* in their MOs with kids; I heard some pretty shocking anecdotes about Sherri Coale from the years before she resigned.

PostPosted: 10/29/21 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: