RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 06/26/22 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that the move would not benefit Seattle, and she won't be happy since she clearly has a specific agenda that doesn't look like the one already in place. Why should the team mess up its chemistry for anyone at this point?

PostPosted: 06/26/22 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Seattle's problem is whatever is going on with Russell means that they are one post short of what they need. Lavender is fine as a 4th post, but not sure about having her as first post off the bench. That said, I have a hard time thinking Tina Charles is the answer. She's a good player, but there are a lot of buts there, and as Queenie says, getting her butt into the key is not something she has shown much inclination to do. Is there another Milic out there? That's the kind of player I think they need. I like Reshaunda Gray, but she needs a few more inches to really be effective. The waived her, but I'm guessing (unless they make the Tina Charles blunder) that she will get some 10 day contracts.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/26/22 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
They waived her, but I'm guessing (unless they make the Tina Charles blunder) that she will get some 10 day contracts.

There’s too many different “sources confirm” rumors out there for it not to be true.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 06/26/22 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
They waived her, but I'm guessing (unless they make the Tina Charles blunder) that she will get some 10 day contracts.

There’s too many different “sources confirm” rumors out there for it not to be true.

probably. but what role will she play?

Mixolydian

PostPosted: 06/26/22 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh boy this makes me nervous. The team has really been gelling and finding their rhythm of late (LA game notwithstanding), and Charles has seemingly been a negative in the team chemistry category the past few years.

Plus as people are pointing out, we need an extra post player and Charles doesn't do that anymore.

craigmont

PostPosted: 06/26/22 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she's willing to be scoring punch off the bench I could see it. We're going to use up Stewie long before the playoffs at this rate.

I'm not sure how she fits under the cap though. You'd probably have to cut Lavender too, and then you'd have 10 active players along with the injured Russell.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/26/22 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pro rated minimum fits in the space they have left.

PostPosted: 06/26/22 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Tina Charles for half a season at the pro-rated veteran minimum. What a weird league. Smile

mercfan

PostPosted: 06/26/22 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good luck y’all! Thoughts and prayers.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/26/22 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Tina Charles for half a season at the pro-rated veteran minimum. What a weird league. Smile

She's desperate for that ring.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 06/26/22 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

would be smart to go MINN esp with fowles retiring.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/26/22 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
would be smart to go MINN esp with fowles retiring.

I think the point is that Charles would like to get a championship and retire this year. Otherwise she could have came back to a presumably stronger PHX team next year.

craigmont

PostPosted: 06/27/22 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Quote:
She had been unhappy with her role in the offense, which included a desire for more shots, for some time.

She’s taking the seventh most shots in the league and the second most on her own team- more than DeShields, more than Taurasi- and she wants more shots. And she wants to go to the team that has two of the only six players in the league who do take more shots than she does? Just get a damn booster if you want more shots.

Quote:
Charles expected to be used in a more active role in the wake of center Brittney Griner's absence this season but felt like she wasn't given the opportunity, a source said.

The player who has practically developed an allergy to the paint and has a crippling addiction to taking 17-foot jumpers from 18 feet thought she was going to take the role of one of the best in-the-paint post players in the league? I’m sorry, what.

I cannot believe that I am in agreement with Sophie Cunningham, of all the fucking assholes, on this, but fuck Tina Charles.

The more I read from Queenie the more I think getting Charles is a really bad idea for Seattle.

Silky's gonna enjoy the trainwreck.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/27/22 4:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
If she's willing to be scoring punch off the bench I could see it. We're going to use up Stewie long before the playoffs at this rate.

I'm not sure how she fits under the cap though. You'd probably have to cut Lavender too, and then you'd have 10 active players along with the injured Russell.

Yeah i could see her being that go to scoring option off the bench and then also play minutes with some of the starters when we go with the big line-up (Stewie at the 3). She would get more shots that way then starting with Stewie and Loyd. Also i think Ezi earned her starting spot defensively but also offensively.

If she wants a ring then she has to make some adjustments in her demands. She went to the Mystics to get a ring but ended up having to do a lot by herself with EDD injured. She didnt win. She went to Phoenix to get a ring but with Griner gone their chances of winning a championship were a lot smaller then she thought. So if she wants a ring then Storm are a pretty good option for her with Russell out for a while.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 06/27/22 5:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sounds like if she ends up on the storm that somethings going to happen to stewart loyd or bird

Shades

PostPosted: 06/27/22 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
sounds like if she ends up on the storm that somethings going to happen to stewart loyd or bird

They’re going to take less shots.

craigmont

PostPosted: 06/27/22 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
craigmont wrote:

Yeah i could see her being that go to scoring option off the bench and then also play minutes with some of the starters when we go with the big line-up (Stewie at the 3). She would get more shots that way then starting with Stewie and Loyd. Also i think Ezi earned her starting spot defensively but also offensively.

If she wants a ring then she has to make some adjustments in her demands. She went to the Mystics to get a ring but ended up having to do a lot by herself with EDD injured. She didnt win. She went to Phoenix to get a ring but with Griner gone their chances of winning a championship were a lot smaller then she thought. So if she wants a ring then Storm are a pretty good option for her with Russell out for a while.

Also, Charles and Prince used to be teammates at NYL. A "second unit" of January, Prince, Charles could be pretty cool.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/27/22 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This reminds me of Houston picking up Staley in the 2005 season. The Comets were looking good, and seemingly brought in Staley to solidify their run at another championship. Staley was a vet without a ring and playing on a very bad team who, I assume, pushed to get out and was at least partly behind the trade.

On paper, it seemed like it made sense. In reality, it disrupted what Houston had going on. They went .500 after the trade, and frankly, looked worse than that. They got notably worse by bringing in the player who was supposed to put them over the top and blew any chance they had at a title.

canadaball

PostPosted: 06/27/22 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These negative takes on Seattle's acquisition of Tina Charles have me perplexed. Right now, it appears the all in Storm (Bird and January one last run) cannot depend upon any contribution from Russell this season, which leaves Lavender as the first big off bench. You are not winning a championship with an over the hill, non competitive player who would not be on any other W roster. The difference between Lavender and Charles, alone, might be worth at least 10 points/game.
Another weakness for Seattle has been the non shooting of Gabby Williams, Teams are ignoring her at the 3 point line. Charles adds a solid 3 point threat; in fact, just looking at stats, the combo of Stew and Tina are both 35% 3 point shooters. Has the W ever seen such a pair of outside threats from pivot players? Let's also remember that Stew effectively played the 3 for team USA.
The notion that Charles is old is laughable. Last year at Washington, she was downright sensational playing for an injury depleted team, and, similarly, this year in Phx, after a choppy start has rounded to All Star form. In her last game vs Minny and Syl, in 36 minutes, she had 26 points on 9/15 shooting. This is a future Hall of Famer, who shows no sign of age.
More stupidity is talk of shots and chemistry. The key Seattle players seem to only care about winning, and let's not forget the strong UConn and national team roots here.
For me, the biggest weakness for the Storm is now the inconsistent play from Lloyd, with an equally shaky Piph as backup.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 06/27/22 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

They’re going to take less shots.

That's a given. Laughing

lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/28/22 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm officially sign Tina Charles

PostPosted: 06/28/22 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, surprising no one, here we go!

https://storm.wnba.com/news/storm-signs-center-tina-charles/?fbclid=IwAR0kpWr26KpnEa-twA1dyL6wacEVBEuNNzz8E6Z6USyIRW4Hugkqso5OnJ4

Last edited by craigmont on 06/28/22 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 06/28/22 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would have been funnier if it was a seven-day

PostPosted: 06/28/22 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is anyone speculating on how the Storm rotation might look now? I am having a hard time imagining Magbegor's role being reduced.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/28/22 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taco-man wrote:
Is anyone speculating on how the Storm rotation might look now? I am having a hard time imagining Magbegor's role being reduced.

It got buried in the last page, but was speculating this more for a big ball lineup.
Bird/January
Loyd/Prince
Stewart/GWilliams
Charles/Talbot
Magbegor/Lavender

Russell

Can shift to this for a smaller ball lineup
Bird/January
Loyd/Prince
GWilliams/Talbot
Stewart/Charles
Magbegor/Lavender

Russell

I would hope they would reward Magbegor for her play by not benching her in favor of Charles, but since Charles has an ego and Magbegor hasn’t shown one, they could also do this
Bird/January
Loyd/Prince
GWilliams/Talbot
Stewart/Lavender
Charles/Magbegor

Like a lot of versatile bigs, Charles doesn’t like playing center plus she’s terrible at center defense (like Stewart), but I can’t see her starting ahead of Stewart under any scenario.

However it works out, they’ll have more depth for sure. If Charles can keep her ego in check, maybe they’ll have a shot at a run. But I’ll be rooting against it because I’m not in favor of this level of championship chasing. Would prefer a more organic team like the Aces win it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: