RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/28/21 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking for myself as someone who suggested it

One I do like the story-line all-time great PG replaced by local player who may turn out to be the all time great PG

Two it really isn't that serious as I said I like it as a story-line similar to Parker returns to Chicago but tbh I don't really cares if it happens or not I would think Chicago would do everything to keep her and if she is happy there than she should stay (not sure if Chicago can core her again but maybe they can)

Three the idea was generated when Chicago looked like it was about to fall short in the playoffs after a .500 season, so it wasn't hard to imagine that Sloot might want to go somewhere else. Now that they look like a team that could contend who knows?

Four Less entitlement more expectations Seattle without an elite PG seems weird but all teams go through transitions. I was simply trying to come up with an interesting solution to that problem.

Five Sloot to Seattle rumors/concept has been out there for a while

Six thought it would be a good off season talking point

Shades

PostPosted: 09/29/21 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Five) Sloot to Seattle rumors/concept has been out there for a while.

Thank you, Spooner.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/29/21 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A Storm Season Postmortem article from Voepel & ESPNW

Regarding Breanna Stewart:

Quote:
"Seattle has always been my [WNBA] home," said Stewart, who was drafted No. 1 by the Storm in 2016. "It's where I've grown up, it's where my career has continued to blossom. So I plan on being back unless something crazy happens. We have more things to do here."

Stewart said she was hoping to play again near the end of the WNBA semifinals, which start Tuesday, had the Storm made it that far... The exact nature of the injury hasn't been specified...

Regarding Jewell Loyd:

Quote:
"Seattle has been home for me for the last seven years," said Loyd, who doesn't plan to play overseas this winter. "When you understand free agency, you understand you have the choice to stay or go. I'm going to take this time to have a break, talk with my family, talk with Stewie and everyone else. Reevaluate where I'm at in my life and my career and go forward from there."

Regarding Sue Bird:

Quote:
Bird said she definitely has not made up her mind about 2022, and that the chance to play in newly refurbished Climate Pledge Arena near her home in downtown Seattle is appealing.

Some good miscellaneous stuff from Storm Chasers:

Quote:
Jordin Canada says, “I love this organization. I would love to be here. I want to stay here if possible. If there’s other opportunities out there, I’ll explore them.

Quote:
Coach Quinn talked to me about using the brand new Climate Pledge Arena where they can utilize that to attract Free Agents to Seattle moving forward. There won’t be very many WNBA arenas that will be able to compete with what Seattle is going to be able to offer.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/29/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Quote:
"Seattle has always been my [WNBA] home," said Stewart, who was drafted No. 1 by the Storm in 2016. "It's where I've grown up, it's where my career has continued to blossom. So I plan on being back unless something crazy happens. We have more things to do here."

Stewart said she was hoping to play again near the end of the WNBA semifinals, which start Tuesday, had the Storm made it that far... The exact nature of the injury hasn't been specified...

Regarding Jewell Loyd:

Quote:
"Seattle has been home for me for the last seven years," said Loyd, who doesn't plan to play overseas this winter. "When you understand free agency, you understand you have the choice to stay or go. I'm going to take this time to have a break, talk with my family, talk with Stewie and everyone else. Reevaluate where I'm at in my life and my career and go forward from there."

Regarding Sue Bird:

Quote:
Bird said she definitely has not made up her mind about 2022, and that the chance to play in newly refurbished Climate Pledge Arena near her home in downtown Seattle is appealing.

Quote:
Jordin Canada says, “I love this organization. I would love to be here. I want to stay here if possible. If there’s other opportunities out there, I’ll explore them.

Quote:
Coach Quinn talked to me about using the brand new Climate Pledge Arena where they can utilize that to attract Free Agents to Seattle moving forward. There won’t be very many WNBA arenas that will be able to compete with what Seattle is going to be able to offer.

The storm need to get rid of Canada. She is a great backup and pace changer for Seattle, but her game doesn't equate to the sort of offense that Seattle runs. When Sue retires that position will take a huge hit no matter who the PG replacement is, but Canada is just not the answer here.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 09/29/21 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Quote:

Regarding Jewell Loyd:

Quote:

Regarding Sue Bird:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The storm need to get rid of Canada. She is a great backup and pace changer for Seattle, but her game doesn't equate to the sort of offense that Seattle runs. When Sue retires that position will take a huge hit no matter who the PG replacement is, but Canada is just not the answer here.

Would you trade Canada even up for Mo Jefferson?

Would you trade Canada even up for the rights to Maite Cazorla/Atlanta?

I would.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/29/21 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don’t think SEA wants to be paying Jefferson $180K when there will be bigger fish needing new contracts.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/21 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I really don’t think SEA wants to be paying Jefferson $180K when there will be bigger fish needing new contracts.

I can't imagine anybody wants to be paying Jefferson $180k

PostPosted: 09/29/21 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Quote:

Regarding Jewell Loyd:

Quote:

Regarding Sue Bird:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would.

If Moriah Jefferson wasn't always injured, yes. I think she would fit in well with Seattle. Seattle is the team that plays most like UCONN does and clearly, MJ can run an offense like that...plus there's the Stewart familiarity. But.....she is always so injured. Problem is, there just aren't enough options at this point. There are some great college PG's that'll be available in the next three years, butSeattle won't have a lottery pick for a while.

Milks26

PostPosted: 09/29/21 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

I can't imagine anybody wants to be paying Jefferson $180k

Not even Dallas should want to pay that sh*t next year if they have any brains. But, moving on - I'm down for the MoJeff to Seattle. Maybe a deal can be worked out for less $$. Either way send her to met her little friends.

PostPosted: 09/29/21 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Quote:

Regarding Jewell Loyd:

Quote:

Regarding Sue Bird:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would.

If Moriah Jefferson wasn't always injured, yes. I think she would fit in well with Seattle. Seattle is the team that plays most like UCONN does and clearly, MJ can run an offense like that...plus there's the Stewart familiarity. But.....she is always so injured. Problem is, there just aren't enough options at this point. There are some great college PG's that'll be available in the next three years, butSeattle won't have a lottery pick for a while.

Mo Jeff just played a full season. I would think her injuries are behind her. Her value increases where she can play in a more structured system, then what they have at Dallas. Her mpg were the same as Canada and her shooting % from 2 & 3 is way better.

No comment from anyone yet on Cazorla. She plays great "D", can shoot the three and take the ball to the hoop. I dont think Atlanta wants to swap a guard for a guard, but maybe something else can be added in. Her salary has to be cheap too.

You have to take some risk in deals, either in getting talent to play better in your system, or pay for potential talent. I certainly would rather pay Mo Jeff, than what the Storm paid for Dupree.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/29/21 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one's giving much up for Cazorla when they're not going to have any confidence that she'll actually show up. No one's going to want that Jefferson contract unless they have more cap space than they know what to do with.

I still feel like Canada's best offer might end up coming from Seattle. What they don't want to end up doing is bidding against themselves and overpaying her just for the sake of it. I'd also give her a maximum of two years, personally. Prove to me that you can actually improve, after several years of not really going anywhere.

PostPosted: 09/29/21 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://deadspin.com/sue-bird-shouldn-t-retire-but-wnba-would-survive-and-1847766360?fbclid=IwAR3iYGiuEIeyIK__vBGQYv5hSp1I87VQn-bD4E5G28CNZv9YLxLKxmQwydg

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/30/21 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I still feel like Canada's best offer might end up coming from Seattle. What they don't want to end up doing is bidding against themselves and overpaying her just for the sake of it.

I agree completely.

So, a question: If Canada's playing style doesn't really fit this team's, is there a team out there whose playing style she would perhaps fit in? I try but I can't really imagine one in particular. As we've touched on before: It's already hard enough trying to make it as a small guard in this League, but your odds of having a lengthy career really go against you if you don't have even a semi-consistent jump shot.

I'm trying to think of a good W player comp for Canada. I can only think of Armintie Price, but Price was 5-9 and a true wing player (aka not a PG), so it's not a very good comp. Many of you can think further back than I can when it comes to all the different players this League has seen.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/30/21 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I'm trying to think of a good W player comp for Canada. I can only think of Armintie Price, but Price was 5-9 and a true wing player (aka not a PG), so it's not a very good comp. Many of you can think further back than I can when it comes to all the different players this League has seen.

Similarity Scores suggest Temeka Johnson, Dominique Canty, Brittany Boyd, and Tamicha Jackson as close matches.

PostPosted: 09/30/21 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Similarity Scores suggest Temeka Johnson, Dominique Canty, Brittany Boyd, and Tamicha Jackson as close matches.

Doesn't exactly scream "Sue Bird replacement," does it?

pilight

PostPosted: 09/30/21 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Doesn't exactly scream "Sue Bird replacement," does it?

Temeka Johnson switched teams and quarterbacked her new club to a championship at the same age Canada will be next season

PostPosted: 09/30/21 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Boyd was the comp that came to mind for me so I'm glad the stats agree.

(now with spelling variations)
craigmont

PostPosted: 09/30/21 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I crazy? I still think Canada can be a useful player despite her glaring limitation. Is it still possible for her to improve on that? I would hate for that improvement to happen somewhere else.

It isn't realistic to look for The Sue Bird Replacement. There isn't one.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/30/21 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
I'm trying to think of a good W player comp for Canada.

I'm honestly still sort of surprised Boyd isn't in the League somewhere. She just seems like the kind of energy bench player that some team would take a chance on. Of course she's volatile, but that's why she wouldn't be a starter. But then again, I guess League vets aren't really supposed to be a 'volatile' presence per se...

craigmont wrote:
Am I crazy? I still think Canada can be a useful player despite her glaring limitation. Is it still possible for her to improve on that? I would hate for that improvement to happen somewhere else.

That may be, but either next year or in 2023, we will have to... replace Sue Bird. Gotta do the due diligence in figuring out who that could/should/would be.

What say you? Based on what you've seen the past few years, do you think Canada would work as a long-term starter? Yes she was the starter at PG in 2019, but the team finished 6th and we didn't have Stewart (or Bird herself, for that matter), so the personnel dynamic was a bit different. Howard did do a pretty good impression of Stewie that year though.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/30/21 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Danielle Robinson seems the most glaring comp to me. Speedy guard who can get places but can't shoot outside 15ft to save their lives.

PostPosted: 09/30/21 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
I'm trying to think of a good W player comp for Canada.

I'm honestly still sort of surprised Boyd isn't in the League somewhere. She just seems like the kind of energy bench player that some team would take a chance on. Of course she's volatile, but that's why she wouldn't be a starter. But then again, I guess League vets aren't really supposed to be a 'volatile' presence per se...

craigmont wrote:

That may be, but either next year or in 2023, we will have to... replace Sue Bird. Gotta do the due diligence in figuring out who that could/should/would be.

What say you? Based on what you've seen the past few years, do you think Canada would work as a long-term starter? Yes she was the starter at PG in 2019, but the team finished 6th and we didn't have Stewart (or Bird herself, for that matter), so the personnel dynamic was a bit different. Howard did do a pretty good impression of Stewie that year though.

Haven't you heard? We're getting Vandersloot and Quigley! Wink

All kidding (and coring) aside, I'll be surprised if Bird doesn't come back for one more year, with carefully managed minutes and Canada still in the rotation. I wonder what Kiana Williams showed or didn't show in practice. She can shoot.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/30/21 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:

All kidding (and coring) aside, I'll be surprised if Bird doesn't come back for one more year, with carefully managed minutes and Canada still in the rotation. I wonder what Kiana Williams showed or didn't show in practice. She can shoot.

Ultimately, it appears that Williams didn't show enough. And the few minutes she played in, I don't recall more than one time that she was the actual PG. My opinion on her warmed as the college season wore on, because Williams directed a lot of traffic even when the ball wasn't in her hands. She was truly the Cardinal's leader in every sense. But then, so is pretty much every prospect that gets drafted from their respective programs. When it comes to her shooting, she was a career 37% 3PT shooter at Stanford. Her best season from distance was actually her freshman season (38.4% – thanks to HerHoopStats for these numbers). She was perfectly fine – pretty good, even – but if that's all she would've been able to immediately bring to a WNBA team (as it's hard to be a leader as a rookie who doesn't yet know the system), especially as an undersized guard without a clear position, well, I guess the odds weren't great from the beginning.

But with Williams not on the Storm, that's neither here nor there when talking about Canada. If Bird retired this season (which could happen), would you want to see the Storm re-sign Canada to a multiyear deal and effectively commit to her as our starting PG?

craigmont

PostPosted: 09/30/21 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
craigmont wrote:

Ultimately, it appears that Williams didn't show enough. And the few minutes she played in, I don't recall more than one time that she was the actual PG. My opinion on her warmed as the college season wore on, because Williams directed a lot of traffic even when the ball wasn't in her hands. She was truly the Cardinal's leader in every sense. But then, so is pretty much every prospect that gets drafted from their respective programs. When it comes to her shooting, she was a career 37% 3PT shooter at Stanford. Her best season from distance was actually her freshman season (38.4% – thanks to HerHoopStats for these numbers). She was perfectly fine – pretty good, even – but if that's all she would've been able to immediately bring to a WNBA team (as it's hard to be a leader as a rookie who doesn't yet know the system), especially as an undersized guard without a clear position, well, I guess the odds weren't great from the beginning.

But with Williams not on the Storm, that's neither here nor there when talking about Canada. If Bird retired this season (which could happen), would you want to see the Storm re-sign Canada to a multiyear deal and effectively commit to her as our starting PG?

Yes, I would keep her unless someone else overpays. I would give her a chance to win the job but bring in competition.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/30/21 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
If Bird retired this season (which could happen), would you want to see the Storm re-sign Canada to a multiyear deal and effectively commit to her as our starting PG?

Yes, I would keep her unless someone else overpays. I would give her a chance to win the job but bring in competition.

Fair. I honestly just think Canada won't be able to improve her shooting – although she knows she needs to, and has a whole offseason/overseas season to really focus her efforts on it. The thing is, she's known for a couple seasons now that her ability to shoot will make or break her career, but it just hasn't happened yet. So, maybe as usual, I'm not optimistic.

It'd be interesting to see Canada go to a team like New York (like some of her other former Storm teammates...), since they were able to turn DiDi 'one-3PT-attempt-in-her-entire-college-career' Richards into a 3PT shooter. It's possible that Canada just needs a change of scenery, and can't do any more growing here.

Courtney Vandersloot coming home would be great for the Storm, but I sincerely hope Slooty stays & retires with the Sky, winning at least one title along the way – ideally this year. There's nothing quite like a 'face of the franchise' player staying with one team their whole career. Smile Still, she is more than welcome to sign here if she wants (her wife trying to come along would likely be a little more difficult though).

For the record, I'm in the 'Bring Kelsey Plum Back To Seattle' camp once she becomes a free agent in 2023. I really don't think Plum wants to be a bench player in Vegas forever, but unless Chelsea Gray leaves (which, she's also scheduled to be a free agent in 2023), I don't really see a clear path to Plum starting for the Aces – especially if Laimbeer simply wants to keep bringing her in off the bench. It's worked out thus far, after all.

If not Plum, Moriah Jefferson would be a worthwhile addition at some point – but not at her current salary. If the Wings buy out the last year of her contract (next year), I'd love for us to sign her on the cheap, since she showed she could stay healthy this year (and still shoot pretty darn well). Otherwise, she's another possibility – probably more attainable than Plum will be – as a free agent for 2023.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 10/14/21 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Breanna Stewart underwent successful surgery Wednesday for a minor repair and reinforcement of her left Achilles.

https://twitter.com/SeattleStormPR/status/1448779793881714689

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: