RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/08/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
My sense is that Kolb's job should be more secure than Hopkins'. How much criticism has Kolb been subjected to for drafts, trades and other things GM's do? I don't recall, but it doesn't seem to have been at the same level as the Hopkins criticism.

I mostly agree. But here's the part you haven't mentioned that may or may not matter to Joe Tsai and Clara Wu Tsai. Certainly one of the most crucial responsibilities of a GM, arguably the most important, is selecting (or retaining, or firing) a coach. Jonathan Kolb chose Walt Hopkins. Kolb brought back Hopkins for year #2.

I would retain Kolb. I'd tell Kolb, with obvious mixed feelings, that it's his choice whether to bring back or fire Hopkins. But my vote doesn't count. Only Joe's and Clara's do.

PostPosted: 10/08/21 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems to me Hopkins would have already been fired if that was the decision of the GM or owners.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 10/08/21 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

Only Joe's and Clara's do.

X__________________ !

So True !

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/08/21 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, Kolb finished third in the Executive of the Year voting. He appeared on six ballots, which means at least half his peers think he did a good job.

PostPosted: 10/08/21 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
For what it's worth, Kolb finished third in the Executive of the Year voting. He appeared on six ballots, which means at least half his peers think he did a good job.

I'm sure Minnesota and Las Vegas were thrilled with the Liberty's personnel decisions.

PostPosted: 10/08/21 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Aces-Mercury series features every one of our former Kia, Kia, Kiah, and Bria combo!

Like Bob, I'm rooting for the Aces to win Kiah a ring! She's playing as well as she can play for them.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/08/21 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
The Aces-Mercury series features every one of our former Kia, Kia, Kiah, and Bria combo!

Like Bob, I'm rooting for the Aces to win Kiah a ring! She's playing as well as she can play for them.

I'd be happy to see Kiah Stokes win a WNBA championship. Especially if it happens this way. As I'm writing this (end of 1st quarter between Phoenix and Las Vegas), counting both the regular season and the playoffs, Kiah Stokes has hit exactly one three-pointer ALL SEASON for the Aces. She's only shot TWO.

So imagine the Aces win tonight, go to Game Five against Chicago. Kiah still is only one-for-two on three-pointers for the season.The game goes down to the last seconds with Chicago up by two. Las Vegas has the ball. Kiah Stokes is alone in the corner. Chicago figures it's best to guard the other four Aces' players. Kiah hits a three-pointer at the buzzer to win the title for Bill Laimbeer and the Aces.

What follows? It's obvious. Walt Hopkins holds a press conference and says he was right in pushing Kiah Stokes to shoot 1000 three-pointers!!!

GO KIAH!!! Smile

PostPosted: 10/08/21 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

I'd be happy to see Kiah Stokes win a WNBA championship. Especially if it happens this way. As I'm writing this (end of 1st quarter between Phoenix and Las Vegas), counting both the regular season and the playoffs, Kiah Stokes has hit exactly one three-pointer ALL SEASON for the Aces. She's only shot TWO.

So imagine the Aces win tonight, go to Game Five against Chicago. Kiah still is only one-for-two on three-pointers for the season.The game goes down to the last seconds with Chicago up by two. Las Vegas has the ball. Kiah Stokes is alone in the corner. Chicago figures it's best to guard the other four Aces' players. Kiah hits a three-pointer at the buzzer to win the title for Bill Laimbeer and the Aces.

What follows? It's obvious. Walt Hopkins holds a press conference and says he was right in pushing Kiah Stokes to shoot 1000 three-pointers!!!

GO KIAH!!! Smile

Sigh. It was a nice dream.

I hope tonight wasn't the last I've seen Kiah play. I hope that Laimbeer wants her back, or that another team wants her rebounding and defense enough to ignore her lack of offense.

Liberty lost.
Napheesa lost.
Kiah lost.

Sad

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/09/21 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Seems to me Hopkins would have already been fired if that was the decision of the GM or owners.

You might be right, but I can also imagine the Tsais or Kolb wanting to wait till after the WNBA season is fully over. The finals will end on October 15th, 17th, or at the latest Oct. 19th. We'll see if anything happens soon after the end date.

PostPosted: 10/12/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really excited by the thought of Tanisha Wright as a WNBA head coach. I hope it goes well for her in Atlanta, but beyond that I hope that some day she will be OUR head coach.

PostPosted: 10/12/21 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I'm really excited by the thought of Tanisha Wright as a WNBA head coach. I hope it goes well for her in Atlanta, but beyond that I hope that some day she will be OUR head coach.

Or Not

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/12/21 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

Can I ask why? I'm not trying to be negative but why would you want an unproven, 1 year assistant who would have to fail in Atlanta to become available, to be your coach? It's great she's getting a shot but NY is a team that is desperate to improve upon their existing parts. You guys should be targeting a proven coach to take your current players to the next step.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/12/21 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Can I ask why? I'm not trying to be negative but why would you want an unproven, 1 year assistant who would have to fail in Atlanta to become available, to be your coach? It's great she's getting a shot but NY is a team that is desperate to improve upon their existing parts. You guys should be targeting a proven coach to take your current players to the next step.

Please read more carefully. I said I hoped that "some day" Tanisha Wright would be the Liberty's head coach, not tomorrow.

PostPosted: 10/12/21 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Please read more carefully. I said I hoped that "some day" Tanisha Wright would be the Liberty's head coach, not tomorrow.

Ok, well you still haven't answered why.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/17/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who was it who suggested that the Liberty sign Stefanie Dolson? Looks like a good idea today! Smile

PostPosted: 10/17/21 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Who was it who suggested that the Liberty sign Stefanie Dolson? Looks like a good idea today! Smile

You would rather have Dolson over Allen?

PostPosted: 10/17/21 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Really talking about different positions Rolling Eyes

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/17/21 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Really talking about different positions Rolling Eyes

The WNBA has a HARD SALARY CAP. Unless your team will slash four or more players off your roster then it will be impossible to sign both players. They will want to get PAID in 2022.

PostPosted: 10/17/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

This is the second time this week that I've had to say right here: please read more carefully. See my October 12th post above.

Did I say I'd rather have Dolson than Allen? Did I say a word about Allen? Did I say I'd rather have Dolson than Breanna Stewart, Brittney Griner, Jonquel Jones, or Kahleah Copper? NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, and NO.

PostPosted: 10/17/21 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson would be fine in a bench role. Despite her important role in the Sky’s title run, I remain skeptical that she could be a starting center on a championship-caliber team. Now that we’ve seen her win a championship in a clear role, it’s possible. But in such a scenario, it would really depend on who her backup would be – someone with length & athleticism would be most ideal, in the way that she ended up splitting time with Azurá Stevens.

Still, signing her is realistic, and she’s been a veteran long enough now that the coach & GM should know exactly what they’re getting themselves into by signing her. But signing her without doing anything else regarding upgrading the post unit I don’t think will be enough. JMO.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/17/21 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Dolson would be fine in a bench role. Despite her important role in the Sky’s title run, I remain skeptical that she could be a starting center on a championship-caliber team. Now that we’ve seen her win a championship in a clear role, it’s possible. But in such a scenario, it would really depend on who her backup would be – someone with length & athleticism would be most ideal, in the way that she ended up splitting time with Azurá Stevens.

Still, signing her is realistic, and she’s been a veteran long enough now that the coach & GM should know exactly what they’re getting themselves into by signing her. But signing her without doing anything else regarding upgrading the post unit I don’t think will be enough. JMO.

I've written a number of times that New York needs TWO new post players better than Shook or Gray. I completely agree with you that adding Dolson wouldn't be enough. Indeed, I put a Smile when I wrote about her above because I wasn't trying to start a serious discussion.

I'm not advocating Dolson as opposed to various other players that perhaps the Liberty can draft, trade for, or sign as free agents. Could Dolson be one of the two post players New York should add? Maybe. Should she be? Maybe. She is surely worth consideration. I won't go beyond that.

PostPosted: 10/17/21 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her size + ability to shoot the three is enough to make me think she would be a good fit for what NY is trying to do. It's not that complicated sometimes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PostPosted: 10/17/21 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Her size + ability to shoot the three is enough to make me think she would be a good fit for what NY is trying to do. It's not that complicated sometimes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

She is slower than average (regardless of how in-shape she is – she’s simply a player who doesn’t have quickness, per se) and isn’t athletic, so combined with her 6-5 stature, really I’m just not sure if she’s what Kolb & Hop would be looking for, despite the pluses she brings on offense (shooting, passing, and most consistently, screening).

The other thing is, in terms of both $$$ and years, what would her contract be? I have no clue. And no, I don’t think she’d work for anything both too cheap (below, say, $130k) and limited in years (1-2). Maybe $120-140k for 3 years, or $150-170k for 1-2 years? Maybe? Or maybe she does take a $130k 2-year deal if it’s with her local-ish Liberty team. I really can’t even begin to predict what the next contract with whichever team she chooses will look like.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/17/21 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

She is slower than average (regardless of how in-shape she is – she’s simply a player who doesn’t have quickness, per se) and isn’t athletic, so combined with her 6-5 stature, really I’m just not sure if she’s what Kolb & Hop would be looking for, despite the pluses she brings on offense (shooting, passing, and most consistently, screening).

The other thing is, in terms of both $$$ and years, what would her contract be? I have no clue. And no, I don’t think she’d work for anything both too cheap (below, say, $130k) and limited in years (1-2). Maybe $120-140k for 3 years, or $150-170k for 1-2 years? Maybe? Or maybe she does take a $130k 2-year deal if it’s with her local-ish Liberty team. I really can’t even begin to predict what the next contract with whichever team she chooses will look like.

This is all valid. Most importantly though, just keep her away from the teams I'm rooting for. Laughing My dislike aside, she definitely has skills to contribute somewhere.

PostPosted: 10/18/21 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This year is when the new CBA comes home to roost

I do not think we are going to see big contracts that Hartley, Doslon, Lavender, etc repeat themselves (those were the excitement of the new CBA combined with some big name talent have old contracts stretch a couple of years into the new CBA). Many team are going to feel a money pinch and there is now going to be a number of cautionary tales out there for GMs to learn from. (Look at how LA's hands are tied and Washington is going to have to make some tough decisions this off season even Indy isn't as flexible as you would think thanks to D-Rob and Lavender's contracts).

The players that are going to feel the money crunch will be the decent but not star level veteran players. J. Jones, Loyd, Stewart and company will get their maxes and younger up a coming stars will need to be locked in Copper, MHA, Russell, B. Jones so decent mid level vets are going to be the ones left out

If you look at team rosters there aren't that many with a lot of cap space. Some team will still over pat to steal a player here and there but I would guess some players are going to find themselves in situations where they are going to have to take less than expected.

Allen and Dolson are probably in that category (I like both players and would like to see them on the Liberty). I think the new tiers are going to be max, very near mex say 200K to 228K, the max but slight discount for the team 180 to 200k That is where you will find the top players and then there will be a surprising drop to decent/kind of starter vets (all good teams will want these type of players but the days of them getting 160-190K seem over I wouldn't be surprised to se those players in the 115-135K range if it is higher it might be with the caveat of less years (Again I like Doslon but no one is going to want to be paying her 150K in 24).

Players (and again this isn't a slight on these players) who might find themselves a little surprised at the negotiating table this off season Dolson, Allen, Sims, Dupree, Canada, E. Williams, L. Mitchell, Brealnad, Hayes, January. Stokes, R. Williams, Deshields, Talbot and others.

Some will get paid more but most will be fighting for 120k and some might find that getting anything decent above vet minimum a struggle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 4 of 55

Jump to: