RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/13/22 3:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Factoring in yesterday’s game it’s now 6.2. 😉 I think Sabrina’s ups and downs early in the season were partially fatigue related with maybe a bit of confidence mixed in. She’s still handling the ball quite a bit but now at least she can be relieved a bit by Dangerfield and Johannes once she learns the plays. But I think a bigger thing is she is now beating different defenses with simpler plays. She’s also using the array of moves she’s had in her arsenal all along. Crossovers, change of direction, change of pace. She’s deceptively fast when she does these things. When she plays more upright like she was at times earlier in the season, then she plays much slower.

I’m glad she’s showing what she can do. It doesn’t hurt that her teammates are playing better too. Her passing is also a high-end skill.

PostPosted: 06/14/22 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nearly everybody (including me) was blown away by Marine Johannes's behind the back play, and we're full of excitement about having her on the Liberty.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but when I looked at the box score, I was very surprised by something I saw: Marine played more minutes in the Chicago game than anyone besides Ionescu, but that incredible pass was her only assist. In those 28 minutes, she also scored 4 points, pulled down one rebound, and that was it for the positive stats. No steals, no blocks. Also 1 turnover and 2 personal fouls, and a +- of -2.

Stats aren't everything, of course, but those are almost invisible numbers for 28 minutes. I think that spectacular pass blinded me from the fact that she really didn't have a good game at all.

Still psyched to have Marina on the team. If we can have her and Han Xu as regular members of the team each season, I think that's a great foundation to build on along with Sabrina.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/14/22 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s all good. Sandy mentioned that Johannes doesn’t know the plays well yet. They have a week straight at home so they have practice time to get her up to speed. She didn’t get many touches Sunday. I anticipate that changing sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: 06/15/22 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Johannes definitely need more touches, she is to me the best guard on our team other then Sabrina. More touches more scoring that will make our offense dangerous

She's a joy to watch, you can run plays for her and let her break down the defense with her passing ability.

She immediately made this team fun to watch again

lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/15/22 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Sandy Brondello said Didi Richards is available (restricted) tomorrow against WAS. Bec Allen status is “unknown”

Allen wasn’t seen during the 30 min. media window of practice.

NY hosts the Mystics tomorrow night @ Barclays Center.

https://twitter.com/elindsay08/status/1537106454502682624

PostPosted: 06/17/22 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry. The ticket has been sold.

Last edited by johnjohnW on 06/17/22 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/17/22 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shameless double-posting self-promotion, but I wrote about the rule quirk that could help New York out in a couple of weeks. It's the last item here, if anyone's interested: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-week6-magbegor-overseas-stats

PostPosted: 06/18/22 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s noteworthy that AD has had back-to-back 21 point games. I expected AD to show more ability with Atlanta but 21 points in back-to-back games is even more than I expected. At the moment it’s clear the trade was best for AD, Atlanta and the Liberty. Happy for AD to be in a position to play their game. From what I’ve seen (just video clips) of the player the Libs got back, I think there’s clear upside to her game. I hope long-term the Libs don’t regret giving up on AD too soon. For now, Johannes is definitely a great fit. But it’s hard not to wonder if AD couldn’t have been better integrated into the Libs’ system as well. I love Sabrina and I think she’s a star. But at the same time I feel like some of those secondary touches for Sabrina could have gone to AD on a more consistent basis.

PostPosted: 06/18/22 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Part of the advantage for AD is that Atlanta's system allows them to basically play free without having to learn a lot of 'system'.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/18/22 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Part of the advantage for AD is that Atlanta's system allows them to basically play free without having to learn a lot of 'system'.

Yes, and NY’s system is definitely highly structured. And built around the skills of Sab, Howard and Han. It’s ok for Johannes in the sense that it’s perimeter oriented and Johannes doesn’t need the ball for long periods of time. For someone like AD being a more limited option, definitely a disadvantage to their play style.

Also, I think Atlanta’s team speed plays to AD’s overall game as well. And an opportunity also which they worked hard for and deserved.

PostPosted: 06/27/22 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't find a story about it, but according to her Instagram stories, it appears Betnijah Laney got married on Saturday. Congrats to the happy couple! Planning a wedding is a good way to fill the time while recovering and rehabbing Smile

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/27/22 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so Dangermouse has been released from her hardship contract. Someone must be back. Will she be resigned on 7 day contracts?

LibFan25

PostPosted: 06/27/22 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nah They better bring Dangerfield back, cuz she is part of the reason Sabrina is playing so well off the ball

But once Laney comes back and hopefully healthy, Dangerfield might get bump out of the starting lineup and make Johannes the PG with her play making ability I trust that she can handle it

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/28/22 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dangerfield scenario is explained here: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-week7-money-cuts-tv-future

PostPosted: 06/28/22 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Dangerfield scenario is explained here: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-week7-money-cuts-tv-future

fabulous article en toto. thanks again.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/01/22 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It appears Cubaj has been let go. Dangerfield’s absence was really felt last night. Probably the worst matchup to have her missing. The victory in Atlanta featured CD on-ball with greater frequency than any other.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
It appears Cubaj has been let go. Dangerfield’s absence was really felt last night. Probably the worst matchup to have her missing. The victory in Atlanta featured CD on-ball with greater frequency than any other.

Sorry for Cubaj, but I felt exactly the same watching the game.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I just responded to your PM, sorry for the delay. Cubaj is a high-effort, high-energy player who probably deserves a better fate. With the max contracts and salary cap, there’s fewer spots than ever. It’s also really hard to keep a developmental type. I really wish the WNBA would institute a 2-player taxi squad per team and allow a team to allocate $60,000 to it which would not count against the cap. The players could practice with the team at home but not be allowed to travel, which would keep the cost down while also allowing players to feel like they are part of the team. The players could then be activated under any hardship situations. Many teams wind up with hardship players anyway. In this scenario, at least potential hardship players would have a home and not have to randomly go from team to team, as both Dangerfield and Reshanda Gray have done this year. And a team could have two other players to develop at a fairly minimal cost.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Cubai's defensive, toughness, and size. I would have rather kept Cubaj then a injury prone willoughby but it is what it is as long as Sabrina has her safety blanket Dangerfield back on the team

LibFan25

PostPosted: 07/01/22 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another note, I like what I am seeing from Didi, you can tell she has been working on her shot. She has all the tools to be a solid player in the W, her athletic ability jumps out on the screen and last night she was part of the reason the Libs went on that fabulous 17-0 run. I love her aggressiveness but has to stop silly fouls like Sandy said

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/01/22 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lorela’s either going to be one of those players who materializes again after three years or, given that she’s a Euro, going to tell this league something rude in Italian and never darken the WNBA’s doors again.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Lorela’s either going to be one of those players who materializes again after three years or, given that she’s a Euro, going to tell this league something rude in Italian and never darken the WNBA’s doors again.

I really wish this league could do better about bringing in foreign players. It makes for a more exciting league. It's worked wonders in the NBA. We have our Aussie stalwarts but it seems like most of the international players in this league just don't stick around, which is unfortunate.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/01/22 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I just responded to your PM, sorry for the delay. Cubaj is a high-effort, high-energy player who probably deserves a better fate. With the max contracts and salary cap, there’s fewer spots than ever. It’s also really hard to keep a developmental type. I really wish the WNBA would institute a 2-player taxi squad per team and allow a team to allocate $60,000 to it which would not count against the cap. The players could practice with the team at home but not be allowed to travel, which would keep the cost down while also allowing players to feel like they are part of the team. The players could then be activated under any hardship situations. Many teams wind up with hardship players anyway. In this scenario, at least potential hardship players would have a home and not have to randomly go from team to team, as both Dangerfield and Reshanda Gray have done this year. And a team could have two other players to develop at a fairly minimal cost.

This sounds great. The WNBA needs to do something that will give these young players an opportunity to develop. The league has been moving in slow motion towards expansion so something like what was posted above needs to be implemented.

PostPosted: 07/03/22 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As expected, New York has signed Crystal Dangerfield to an rest-of-season contract.

PostPosted: 07/03/22 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never realized how bad the rebounding is for the Liberty. Today was just eye opening in that regard. I guess part of that is because the bigs like to float around outside, but it's really terrible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 50 of 55

Jump to: