RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/18/21 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For any Liberty fan who lives in or visits Brooklyn...

I was at Brooklyn Bridge Park on Sunday. On the park's Pier 1, I stumbled into an outdoor photo exhibition of the work of Michelle V. Agins, a Pulitzer Prize winning photographer who has been on staff for the New York Times since 1989 and is their second Black female photographer ever.

There were a few sections of her work, one of which was on New York Liberty players during the team's first season in 1998. These were not typical sports photos, but rather a look at some of the players' lives off the court. The photos and accompanying text were fascinating. Alas, I didn't take notes because I was tired and assumed I could find a good online link with all the photos and text.

After a lot of looking around, I couldn't find everything but have come across an article about Ms. Agins that includes two of the Liberty photos that I saw. If you scroll down at this link, you'll see Kym Hampton cutting Rebecca Lobo's hair and then Vickie Johnson in a postgame ice bath in her hotel room. There are other terrific photos worth seeing:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/15/arts/michelle-agins-photoville-photography.html

If you want to see the exhibition at Pier 1, it is in the little cove not far from where the Ample Hills Creamery ice cream store is. It's on the southern end of the cove--the end further from the Brooklyn Bridge.

PostPosted: 10/18/21 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didi Richards is in a Quest nutrition bar commercial

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/18/21 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After crunching the number NY can probably afford both Dolson and Allen at about 135K a piece and still go with 12 players

Ionescu/Jones (or other 75K back up PG L. Allen?)
Whitcomb/Richards/Durr
Laney/Onyenwere
Howard/Allen/Willoughby
Dolson/pick #5 (Austin or Cunane)

We may want to take a bigger swing

but if healthy I think this team could move from bottom of the playoffs to somewhere in the middle (considering this years finalist were seed 5 and 6 that might be enough to be in the thick of things in the post season).

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/18/21 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Didi Richards is in a Quest nutrition bar commercial

Someone actually posted that commercial on another thread a while back. More recently, we have a Hello Fresh promotion that the Liberty are pushing. The video below is billed as a NY Liberty vs LA Sparks cook-off. In reality, Jaz Jones does almost all of the talking while Brittney Sykes barely appears. Maybe there's an LA version where the reverse is true.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tcXms3MX0E4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, the YES Network has a show called Home Plate hosted by chef Marcus Samuelsson. Onyenwere appears on an episode where they visit her favorite Nigerian restaurant. It's on the Liberty website, but here's a link for the lazy:

https://liberty.wnba.com/video/michaela-onyenwere-guest-stars-in-yes-networks-home-plate-with-marcus-samuelsson/

PostPosted: 10/18/21 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
After crunching the number NY can probably afford both Dolson and Allen at about 135K a piece and still go with 12 players

Whitcomb/Richards/Durr
Laney/Onyenwere
Howard/Allen/Willoughby

but if healthy I think this team could move from bottom of the playoffs to somewhere in the middle (considering this years finalist were seed 5 and 6 that might be enough to be in the thick of things in the post season).

What if some team offers Allen more than $135k?

PostPosted: 10/18/21 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Whitcomb/Richards/Durr
Laney/Onyenwere
Howard/Allen/Willoughby

We might not be able to match and would have to make a decision

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/18/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just took a glance at the current New York Liberty staff directory. Quite surprising and fascinating. Perhaps someone high up in the organization was reading the strong complaints posted here about the sales staff.

https://liberty.wnba.com/new-york-liberty-staff-directory-contact/

I'd known that the young sales rep with whom I talked the most this season had a new job by September. But now I see that the two sales staff managers with the top positions are both gone. I knew each and had coffee with one of them years ago. Two other sales reps I'd spoken with early this season or last season are also gone. So I believe that's FIVE people gone since the 2021 season began. And, notably, there's no indication on the staff directory that anyone is the current manager of the two account executives and three sales reps still listed.

I have no information on who may have left voluntarily or involuntarily and I'm not looking to toss around names here. But looking at these deletions makes me suspect that there was a forced shakeup.

PostPosted: 10/23/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just checking to see what's new with the Liberty. Apparently, Onyenwere wrote a rah-rah Liberty/Brooklyn/Barclays article for The Player's Tribune:
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/michaela-onyenwere-new-york-liberty-basketball-wnba

Also, I stumbled across a video with the title, "Connecticut Huskies vs New York Liberty Highlights". Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVG7xLOxMjM

PostPosted: 10/23/21 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Also, I stumbled across a video with the title, "Connecticut Huskies vs New York Liberty Highlights". Wink

Clearly an old match since that footage is from White Plains

PostPosted: 10/25/21 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Clearly an old match since that footage is from White Plains

What is this ? Looks like a High School Game ?

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/15/21 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Asia Durr just announced on her instagram that she was officially cleared to play by the W and her doctor. This is some exciting news.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 11/15/21 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Asia Durr just announced on her instagram that she was officially cleared to play by the W and her doctor. This is some exciting news.

Yep! Here is it! https://twitter.com/MylesEhrlich/status/1460401949443043331

This is such awesome news for her!

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 11/15/21 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh my gosh!!!!!!! I’m so happy both for Durr and for the Liberty. First off, she looks like a 1,000 ton weight has been lifted from her shoulders. I’m overwhelmingly happy for her. Watching the video I really felt the emotion.

Besides that, Durr at 100% in this offense is a game-changer. The way they play is tailor-made for Durr’s game.

Wow!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 11/15/21 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantastic news! I've been checking Asia's social media all summer and fall. Except for a picture of some boxes that suggested she was moving and a low-budget commercial for a local store, it's been radio silence. I had basically given up on her. Beyond what it means for the Liberty, it's just great to know that Durr can continue her career.

PostPosted: 11/15/21 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great news. I wonder if she'll try to pick up an overseas contract for the second-half of the European season to try to play herself back into game shape. Or I'm sure that Athletes Unlimited league would take her.

PostPosted: 11/15/21 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Great news. I wonder if she'll try to pick up an overseas contract for the second-half of the European season to try to play herself back into game shape. Or I'm sure that Athletes Unlimited league would take her.

AU sounds like the perfect setup for her. Little to no travel, a reasonable amount of talent, people with W connections and experience- she'll be able to test herself physically and see where she's at. Thrilled for her, but also relieved for her; her experience with long COVID has been harrowing to read.

PostPosted: 11/15/21 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would caution people not to expect too much too soon. This is a player who missed two full seasons, and even in her rookie year she only appeared in 18 out of 34 games. Durr needs to first get into playing shape and then face the twin obstacles of being inexperienced and extremely rusty.

PostPosted: 11/16/21 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I echo everyone's sentiments. What a great day for her – even if she finds that she's never able to play professionally again, or even just play as well as she did pre-covid. That she can turn to basketball again of any sort in times of need must be such a weight off her shoulders. And honestly, with how unknown the coronavirus disease itself is, I personally wasn't 100% sure she'd ever see this day again – maybe she wasn't either, as the person who has had to endure it for about a year & a half now. I'm so happy for her that this day has come.

As it relates to how her new journey into getting back into basketball shape should go: She is an offense-oriented player who was always known for being a great shooter; Ergo, everything needs to start & end with her shooting ability. Even if she as a player is a shell of herself in every other way due to covid and/or just being MIA for so long, even if her lungs will forever prohibit her from playing 30 MPG ever again, I believe she can resume carving out a professional career for herself if she can just successfully re-learn/refine her ability to shoot the basketball. Everything else – defense, playmaking, etc. – can eventually follow suit. The HC of a professional team can probably work with her if she can only play limited minutes in a limited role for the rest of her career. But if she wants her professional career back, she at least needs to rediscover her ability to shoot sometime in the next 6 months, period.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/16/21 3:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vary happy for her.

I have had her penciled in for 22 from the beginning.

There is a lot of time between now and the season to improve conditioning and hopefully get further and further away from the worst of Covid.

Maybe she won't get back to elite level but maybe she will. I am sure the Liberty will give her time and in our system with our roster she doesn't have to be a 30 minute a night player in 22. If she can come off the bench 10 minutes a game and work her way back into the rotation that would be a victory for her and the team.

No pressure, wishing her the best.

root_thing

PostPosted: 11/16/21 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to be the bad guy here and point out that Durr still has to make the team. If she's struggling, do you just keep her on the roster anyway while cutting someone else? I don't think so. Allen and Gray are free agents. If you don't sign them, that creates two roster openings -- although positionally Durr is not a replacement for either. But let's say you stick Asia and the 1st Round pick into those slots. Are people willing to give up on the idea of adding a high-profile free agent? Is sweet-talking Johannes into returning also off the table? I would argue that if Johannes doesn't come over, then NY needs to at least add a backup PG. It appears more players will lose their jobs -- most likely a couple from the group of Jaz Jones, Didi, Willoughby, Odom, and maybe even Onyenwere. Those who remain can look forward to a fierce battle for minutes.

In other words, welcome back to the jungle, Asia.

PostPosted: 11/16/21 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is good news

I really liked Durr when she came out of college, but when she got to the W she was real passive -- Less aggressive. We all know she can shoot, I want to see Kobe/Jordan type aggressiveness. Make it your team, make it your HOME.

I think she will make the team cuz I still think she is better and more talented then any guard on our bench.

Other notes, 2022 draftees early on not much has impressed me yet other then Duke's Lexi Gordon. Lexi can shoot it.

Austin who I'm watching closely hasn't played well but it's only 2 game so we'll see

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 11/16/21 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
This is good news

I really liked Durr when she came out of college, but when she got to the W she was real passive -- Less aggressive. We all know she can shoot, I want to see Kobe/Jordan type aggressiveness. Make it your team, make it your HOME.

I think she will make the team cuz I still think she is better and more talented then any guard on our bench.

Other notes, 2022 draftees early on not much has impressed me yet other then Duke's Lexi Gordon. Lexi can shoot it.

Austin who I'm watching closely hasn't played well but it's only 2 game so we'll see

If you'll are worried that much, we will give you Ty Harris for Durr🤓

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 11/16/21 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m curious about her weight and strength as those were two areas she identified as struggles. Otherwise we know she’s been deemed heart-healthy.

We don’t know about her lungs so that’s to be determined. We know she had a hip labrum repair as well. I have a torn shoulder labrum, so I have an idea of what the pain feels like. Those injuries also stand a good chance of getting more painful through wear and tear. So if she was playing through that tear in 2019, something I consider highly likely, she was probably playing at about 70% anyway. Between being underutilized by Katie Smith and probably not being 100%, we have no idea what her best could be because she didn’t have a chance to show it.

To me, she was an elite shot-creator before the Covid bout, which is something that should not change. Otherwise we just wait and see if she returns at functional playing strength and reasonable lung capacity. If she does, she’ll eventually be fine. Wait and see.

The Liberty give young players opportunities. If and when her health and conditioning allow, she’ll get her chance.

PostPosted: 11/16/21 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Whitcomb/Richards/Durr
Laney/Onyenwere
Howard/Allen/Willoughby

I wouldn’t even give Allen 135k. If she gets more, bid her farewell and wish her the best.

PostPosted: 11/16/21 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone else think it's a little odd that the official Twitter & Instagram accounts for the Liberty haven't yet acknowledged Asia Durr's announced return to basketball? It may not mean anything whatsoever, but I'd still like them to acknowledge it publicly, since it's a big deal for her and she still is their player – at least for now. Perhaps they're gonna make some grand(er) announcement related to her situation, idk. If they ever do acknowledge it in some way – even if it's small – I encourage anyone reading this to post it on here in case I miss it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 5 of 55

Jump to: