RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Awards 2021
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/22/21 12:11 pm    ::: Awards 2021 Reply Reply with quote

The official awards will come soon enough, but first let's see what AP thinks:

https://apnews.com/article/sports-media-connecticut-sun-wnba-playoffs-jonquel-jones-ed51096f2217ef927f6d8193cfcfd646

PostPosted: 09/22/21 12:43 pm    ::: Re: Awards 2021 Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://apnews.com/article/sports-media-connecticut-sun-wnba-playoffs-jonquel-jones-ed51096f2217ef927f6d8193cfcfd646

Pilight beat me to it.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/32257268/connecticut-sun-f-jonquel-jones-g-brionna-jones-coach-curt-miller-earn-ap-wnba-awards

I attached the link to the ESPN page.

I’m glad they don’t follow the same format of G G F F C. Or maybe they did and included Stewart as a guard Wink

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/22/21 12:50 pm    ::: Re: Awards 2021 Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
pilight wrote:

Pilight beat me to it.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/32257268/connecticut-sun-f-jonquel-jones-g-brionna-jones-coach-curt-miller-earn-ap-wnba-awards

I’m glad they don’t follow the same format of G G F F C. Or maybe they did and included Stewart as a guard Wink

Only in the WBB universe would a player who played 23 of 32 games and averaged 13.8 & 8.4 - be 2nd team All-WNBA! Like, I’m what universe was she better than Plum, Gray, Bonner, Collier, Brionna Jones, or Arike?

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 09/22/21 12:54 pm    ::: Re: Awards 2021 Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
pilight wrote:

Pilight beat me to it.

Only in the WBB universe would a player who played 23 of 32 games and averaged 13.8 & 8.4 - be 2nd team All-WNBA! Like, I’m what universe was she better than Plum, Gray, Bonner, Collier, Brionna Jones, or Arike?

She’s not! At least not this season.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/22/21 1:50 pm    ::: Re: Awards 2021 Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
pilight wrote:

Pilight beat me to it.

On a not-good team.

It's insane.

Milks26

PostPosted: 09/22/21 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to B. Jones on her MIP. Well deserved. She was a player who irked the hell out of me when she subbed in for Jonquel. But, she's handling hers this year for sure.

The other awards - usually names - no surprise thererrree

PostPosted: 09/22/21 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lmao that the headline refers to B. Jones as a guard

Quote:
Connecticut Sun F Jonquel Jones, G Brionna Jones, coach Curt Miller earn AP WNBA awards

PostPosted: 09/26/21 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sylvia Fowles, DPOY

https://www.wnba.com/news/sylvia-fowles-named-2021-kia-wnba-defensive-player-of-the-year/

Quote:
Fowles received 31 votes from a national panel of 49 sportswriters and broadcasters. Los Angeles Sparks guard Brittney Sykes finished in second place with six votes. Connecticut Sun forward Jonquel Jones and Phoenix Mercury forward Brianna Turner tied for third place with four votes each. Phoenix center Brittney Griner received two votes and Connecticut guards Briann January and Jasmine Thomas received one vote each.

PostPosted: 09/26/21 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All Defense teams

https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/1442113261512577026

The all defense team has a Briann, a Brianna, a Brionna, and a Breanna plus two Brittneys. We need more variety in our names!

PostPosted: 09/26/21 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
All Defense teams

The all defense team has a Briann, a Brianna, a Brionna, and a Breanna plus two Brittneys. We need more variety in our names!

They named the All-Defensive teams, in a tweet, on Sunday morning, at 9am ET. At times, this league has absolutely no fucking clue what the hell they're doing. It's staggering.

PostPosted: 09/26/21 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
All Defense teams

Bruh!

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/28/21 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brionna Jones is MIP

https://www.wnba.com/news/connecticut-sun-brionna-jones-named-2021-kia-most-improved-player/

Quote:
Brionna Jones received 38 of 49 votes from a national panel of sportswriters and broadcasters. Las Vegas Aces guard Kelsey Plum finished in second place with eight votes. Rounding out the list of vote-getters were Dallas Wings guard Marina Mabrey (two votes) and New York Liberty guard Betnijah Laney (one vote), the 2020 Most Improved Player as a member of the Atlanta Dream.

PostPosted: 09/28/21 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I smell a conspiracy with the Bri’s. They are secretly working together to take over WNBA defense. We have to fight back.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/28/21 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Brionna Jones is MIP

https://www.wnba.com/news/connecticut-sun-brionna-jones-named-2021-kia-most-improved-player/

Quote:
Brionna Jones received 38 of 49 votes from a national panel of sportswriters and broadcasters. Las Vegas Aces guard Kelsey Plum finished in second place with eight votes. Rounding out the list of vote-getters were Dallas Wings guard Marina Mabrey (two votes) and New York Liberty guard Betnijah Laney (one vote), the 2020 Most Improved Player as a member of the Atlanta Dream.

The same Laney whose production went down slightly this year?

That's a voter who needs their voting status revoked.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/28/21 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curt Miller COY

Jonquel Jones MVP

PostPosted: 09/28/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow - the votes were overwhelming. All that talk about her missed games turned out to be hot air.

A bit surprised Griner didn't get more 1st place votes? I feel like Griner "suffers" from having ungodly expectations placed upon her. Anything less than an absolutely incredible output is seen as a disappointment. Like it's taken a bit for granted how dominant she is / can be.

PostPosted: 09/28/21 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Wow - the votes were overwhelming. All that talk about her missed games turned out to be hot air.

A bit surprised Griner didn't get more 1st place votes? I feel like Griner "suffers" from having ungodly expectations placed upon her. Anything less than an absolutely incredible output is seen as a disappointment. Like it's taken a bit for granted how dominant she is / can be.

Maybe, but if one player has seemed the clear winner to voters, the voting gap will be large even if the actual perceived gap in play is small. The gap in #1 votes is just saying that all voters agreed in the ranking.

It reminds me of the 2006 ROY award. Augustus and Pondexter both had huge rookie seasons, and the understanding was that the gap between them wasn't that big. But, pretty much everyone agreed that Augustus was a little bit better, so the ultimate voting was very lopsided.

SCook

PostPosted: 09/28/21 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Maybe, but if one player has seemed the clear winner to voters, the voting gap will be large even if the actual perceived gap in play is small. The gap in #1 votes is just saying that all voters agreed in the ranking.

It reminds me of the 2006 ROY award. Augustus and Pondexter both had huge rookie seasons, and the understanding was that the gap between them wasn't that big. But, pretty much everyone agreed that Augustus was a little bit better, so the ultimate voting was very lopsided.

The only clear thing all season was that Connecticut was the better team. *Shrugs*

PostPosted: 09/28/21 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

It was 34-20 with Sophia Young getting two votes. That's one of the closest ROY votes we've had. Only 1998, 2014, and 2015 were closer.

PostPosted: 09/28/21 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

It was 34-20 with Sophia Young getting two votes. That's one of the closest ROY votes we've had. Only 1998, 2014, and 2015 were closer.

Apparently my memory is terrible.

The general point still stands.

SCook

PostPosted: 09/28/21 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

This! One of these days we'll need to have this conversation because I have a lot to say about this!

PostPosted: 09/28/21 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

You might consider 34-20 lopsided. ROY voting tends towards landslides.

PostPosted: 09/28/21 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

What was 2019? That was a hotly talked about debate between Arike and Napheesa.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/28/21 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

What was 2019? That was a hotly talked about debate between Arike and Napheesa.

It was 29-14

PostPosted: 09/28/21 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Yeah for sure - just to clarify I also "voted" JJ on my Rebkell awards ballot.

SCook wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

This! One of these days we'll need to have this conversation because I have a lot to say about this!

I'm here for it Twisted Evil

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: