44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Liberty
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

Shades

PostPosted: 08/04/19 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charles seems to think her taking a tough contested shot is better than giving it up to look for a better shot.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/04/19 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Charles seems to think her taking a tough contested shot is better than giving it up to look for a better shot.

In a way, you can't blame her. It looks like across the board every player for CT is better than their opposing player...except for Tina. NY looks really pathetic.

- Amanda Gorman
LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/04/19 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lol That turnover by Wright was so lazy its like she didn't care

toad455

PostPosted: 08/04/19 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This one's over, put Han Xu in already!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 08/04/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG Zahui

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/04/19 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lol Zahui doing fadaways now, hey its better then a turnover

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/04/19 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we want Xu!

- Amanda Gorman
Adanet

PostPosted: 08/04/19 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie is such a bad coach

Shades

PostPosted: 08/04/19 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

94-79 CON final

At least Zahui seems to be back now.

Johannes was 0-6 today. Let the minute-reduction/trade/cut talks begin....

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/04/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adanet wrote:

Mhm Tell me about it...but this game is mostly all CT Sun

And ofcourse the 17 turnovers...and bad shooting except Tina

Only positive Charles had a nice game, still fadeaways drive me crazy at times

toad455

PostPosted: 08/04/19 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

17 TOs. 4-22 from 3. Poor D. Wright & Durr were useless. Another game where we got behind in the first quarter and never rebounded. The rest of the game we kept pace, but we can't have these games where we get off to these slow starts all the time.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/04/19 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
17 TOs. 4-22 from 3. Poor D. Wright & Durr were useless. Another game where we got behind in the first quarter and never rebounded. The rest of the game we kept pace, but we can't have these games where we get off to these slow starts all the time.

Wright startin to look old now, time to close up shop

Adanet

PostPosted: 08/04/19 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Adanet wrote:

No. She has the girls all crazy, changing roles rotations and "5"s constantly, they can't settle, they can't play

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/04/19 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adanet wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
Adanet wrote:

No. She has the girls all crazy, changing roles rotations and "5"s constantly, they can't settle, they can't play

I give her props for trying to switch it up a bit, The Sun is a really good team. They take care of the ball with great ball movement, they know what their identity is.

The funny thing is with all these blow-outs they still have a chance to turn this thing around but time is ticking

toad455

PostPosted: 08/04/19 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Wright startin to look old now, time to close up shop

I still say Wright should retire and become their new assistant next season.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 08/04/19 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

20 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, only 1 turnover. The rest of the team providing almost nothing. Tina Charles did everything she could to carry the team today. But aside from Amanda Zahui B, whose minutes were limited by foul trouble, and Bria Hartley, whose minutes were limited because she was the third point guard off the bench, the rest of the Liberty gave Tina zero support.

Tina was double-teamed right from the start today; that hasn't always been the case lately. She still had a monster game, and did it against a very good team. Yeah, she's slowing down. But she's still capable of doing this, and still does it enough to be, by far, the best player on the Liberty.

It's games like this that show that Boyd is no better an option at point guard than Hartley. For every Hartley disaster where Boyd is almost playable, there's a game like this. Tanisha Wright is nothing more than someone you insert for a few minutes of stabillity and common sense; she's too old to lean on her with heavy minutes. The Liberty point guard situation is terrible. Is there another team whose PG situation is any worse?

Wright + Boyd + Hartley: 5 assists in 40 minutes
Johannes: 4 assists in 18 minutes

Johannes's minutes weren't all that impressive to me tonight, but maybe it's still a decent idea to try her at the point based on this. On the other hand, perhaps the Liberty want to develop her by pairing her with a point guard (no matter how bad) rather than having her be the point. We still need a starting shooting guard until either Durr or Johannes step up. Durr had another invisible night. It's probably related to the groin injury in this instance, but it's not like Asia has seamlessly worked her way into the Liberty lineup as a rookie. Johannes may be needed at the 2, maybe even in the future.

Personally, I'd like to see them try Johannes at the point as a last ditch attempt to make the playoffs. If it doesn't work, she can go back to focusing on what she really is. But right now, she's on a team where the situation at point guard is absolutely rock bottom. Let's see how versatile she can be.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/05/19 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a ton of stuff going on right now so I’m late to the party. But I’m just done. Done. Done. I couldn’t get to the game today due to a variety of circumstances but watched most of it. First off clearly they changed the offense to balance it out. They proceeded to get great looks early on that they bricked all first quarter. Couple that with CT’s potency and smelling blood because we can’t defend. And there you go. I’m disgusted and I’m tired of analyzing and whatever else.

Except to say yes our PG situation is horrible. Right now our C position is too. Not even sure how much you can blame on coaching if you’re getting nothing out of two positions.

PostPosted: 08/05/19 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
First off clearly they changed the offense to balance it out. They proceeded to get great looks early on that they bricked all first quarter

Very true, and as you said, it's hard to blame the coaching when that happens. Except when you consider that this is what happens when nobody improves from last year. Some of that is definitely on the coaching.

It also seems to me like Katie's motivational skills are nothing compared to Bill Laimbeer's. So while it's hard to blame the coaching, I'm going to do it anyway. I am done with Katie Smith and her legacy of uninspired losing. I've been done with it since the end of last season.

Coming off the All-Star break, we had a terrible team on the road, and a top team at home. The kinds of games good teams win. The Liberty didn't even compete.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/05/19 5:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Very true, and as you said, it's hard to blame the coaching when that happens. Except when you consider that this is what happens when nobody improves from last year. Some of that is definitely on the coaching.

One of our players improved enough to go from being a rookie to an All Star starter. And I'd say that Zahui B has improved as well, though for whatever reasons her level of play has obviously fallen significantly since before she left for Europe.

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/05/19 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NY really needs Sabrina, bad.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/05/19 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

I've been saying for years now that their weakest position has been at PG. The Boyd experiment is over. She's only an adequate backup. I think getting Ionescu in 2020 will greatly change the structure of the Liberty.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 08/05/19 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I've been saying for years now that their weakest position has been at PG. The Boyd experiment is over. She's only an adequate backup. I think getting Ionescu in 2020 will greatly change the structure of the Liberty.

Well it was obvious from the off-season of how long it took to resign Boyd and they tried to upgrade the PG spot by trying to sign Natasha Cloud to a offer sheet.

but Washington smartly matched ofcourse. She is one of the best PG in the W

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/05/19 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

In a way, you can't blame her. It looks like across the board every player for CT is better than their opposing player...except for Tina. NY looks really pathetic.

That was going to be my comment ... we can complain about Katie Smith all we want, but in this game, every Connecticut player is better than every similar New York player.

Also, I watched Johannes pretty carefully for a while -- she seems lost defensively at this level right now, but there's no reason she can't get better at that end of the floor.

PostPosted: 08/05/19 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd love for 2020 for us to look like this:

PG: Ionescu/Johannes
SG: Durr/#16 pick
SF: Nurse/Allen/FA
PF: Charles/Gray/Raincock-Ekwunwe
C: Zahui B/Stokes or a FA

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/05/19 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After all is said and done, NY scored 79 points yesterday. That's 2 more than this season's league average of 77. If they're trying to run a more balanced offense, that's a good thing even if yesterday the perimeter shooters were off. Players run hot and cold in this league. I'm willing to give that experiment a couple of more games before passing judgment.

The greater concern for NY is still on the defensive end. They allowed 94 points, which is a whopping 17 above league average. Further analysis shows that they gave up 37 points off turnovers (net -23), but CT scored only 6 fastbreak points all game. So, it still comes back to NY's half-court defense being bad. That's pretty much been the case all season long. Not sure how much Johannes or Ionescu at point guard is going to improve our defense. Smile Certainly fewer turnovers will help. However, if your ballhandler is being trapped and no teammate flashes open to receive a pass, then I'm not sure it matters who is playing PG. I've seen a lot of trapping from opponents lately, and NY as a team does not react well to the pressure. That's another problem the coaching staff has to focus on fixing.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: