24%  [ 7 ]
Seattle Storm
75%
 75%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 29

Shades

PostPosted: 08/29/11 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

I'll have to go back and take a look at that, Shades.

I tried to do a freeze it best I could. That's a hip going into Toliver, knocking her off balance and helping free up Bird.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/29/11 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very dirty play there by Toliver, purposely running into LJ's hip like that when she knows fully well that Loz has just come off a severe hip injury!

PostPosted: 08/29/11 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Very dirty play there by Toliver, purposely running into LJ's hip like that when she knows fully well that Loz has just come off a severe hip injury!

Laughing

norwester

PostPosted: 08/29/11 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They almost never call the screens in these situations in my experience. No one has the ball yet. Everyone is moving. They mostly let the players fight it out. You know that's true. Look at the last dozen late-game situations. There may or may not be advantage conferred at this point. LA had the perimeter guarded very well as they had much of the game, forcing Sue to move trying to get open. good move having Parker chasing, as jammer said.

Once the ball is in play, they call it a bit tighter on the ball. Right? Wrong? They were going to let it go to OT, it seemed except Toliver was out of control. Clear advantage LA and disadvantage Seattle.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can we all agree that this damn game is over?

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker had a lot to say to her team during this game...in particular, near the end of the game she was chewing out Tina Thompson who just completely ignored her. Apparently she was mad Tina didn't call a timeout when their play fell apart.

1) Think about "what if?" he had gotten that lottery ball in 2015....
2) Remember to watch some NCAA games
3) Invest in mystical restorative ointments for hips, knees, backs and well everything.
jap

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

psheehy wrote:
Parker had a lot to say to her team during this game...in particular, near the end of the game she was chewing out Tina Thompson who just completely ignored her. Apparently she was mad Tina didn't call a timeout when their play fell apart.

Did you actually hear what was said?

PostPosted: 08/29/11 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
psheehy wrote:

Either that or they got some mad lip-reading skills.

Shed

PostPosted: 08/29/11 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

psheehy wrote:

I didn't see this but I did see Parker pleading with Bryant to call a timeout when LA was coming up the court with about 30 seconds left in the game. She was clearly turned to him doing the motion of t/o asking him the question but he waved it off. Immediately after LA lost possession of the ball and the ensuing play sent Sue to the line. When LA turned the ball over, Seattle called a t/o and Candace immediately turned to Bryant and did one of her bending to the ground incredulous acts asking him why he didn't call it. All he did was put his hands to his head and make a motion like he recognized the mistake or he thought the play was close to working out. Totally bizarre.

As for illegal screens, I would bet that the majority of screens set are illegal but the refs don't call them. They're totally random with their calls. The games would also come to a screaming holt if they did call all the illegal screens. The League needs to address this.

"If Seattle decides to sit Wright, Little and Stricklen for the majority of the season for stuffy noses, ingrown toenails and acid reflux you can start talking about shams." psheehy
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/29/11 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope she was saying "I'm out this bitch as soon as possible."

PostPosted: 08/29/11 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
psheehy wrote:

Lip reading. along the lines of "timeout...call a <bleep> timeout"

1) Think about "what if?" he had gotten that lottery ball in 2015....
2) Remember to watch some NCAA games
3) Invest in mystical restorative ointments for hips, knees, backs and well everything.
BCBG25

PostPosted: 08/29/11 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shed wrote:
As for illegal screens, I would bet that the majority of screens set are illegal but the refs don't call them. They're totally random with their calls. The games would also come to a screaming holt if they did call all the illegal screens. The League needs to address this.

Agree. They have no clue how to call illegal screens or charges. The same play that was a charge on one end ends up being a foul on the other end. I do think these are two of the hardest things to call, especially with players like Plenette where there's all that drama and acting involved, but they need clear guidance on how to call it and it's not coming from the league's offices.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, shifting away from the foul, what was with that last play for LA? They had folks who were hot - Toliver, Parker - but they chose to run the play for Tina? I turned to my seatmate before the play and said that was who would take the last shot and felt rather good about the Storm's chances if that's what happens. I didn't watch the replay yet and my view was somewhat challenged by having Nancy Lieberman sitting in front of me. Smile

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/29/11 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shed wrote:

Well it's not completely random. Typically, if the player trying to get round the screen throws herself to the ground and screams as if she's been assaulted, you're far more likely to get the call. That's one of my pet peeves with the officiating in this league and many others: someone falls down - whistle; everyone stays standing - no call.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Shed wrote:

Agree. They have no clue how to call illegal screens or charges. The same play that was a charge on one end ends up being a foul on the other end. I do think these are two of the hardest things to call, especially with players like Plenette where there's all that drama and acting involved, but they need clear guidance on how to call it and it's not coming from the league's offices.

Calling of illegal screens by ref also likely has to due with whether the advantage created is used or not.

It's similar to when a player is hit on the arm when shooting. If she misses the shot, it's a foul. If she makes the shot, it's a no-call. In this case, Lauren gave an illegal screen, freeing up Sue, but Sue didn't get the ball as a result. Hence, a no-call. Idea

scowl

PostPosted: 08/29/11 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With screens of course it helps to try to stay still before the defender arrives and tries to get around you. If you run across the court and crash into the defender, well, that's the only guaranteed way to get an illegal screen call I've seen in this league. It's about as subtle as a block in the back in football.

Some defenders will trip over the screener's feet and fall to the floor. I don't know if it's intentional (probably not) but I rarely see these called so that's good. The only time it looks to me like you have to hit the floor is for charges.

scowl

PostPosted: 08/29/11 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Calling of illegal screens by ref also likely has to due with whether the advantage created is used or not.

This was absolutely true in the ABL. Referee Eric Curry appointed himself to be something of a diplomat between the fans and the officials. One of the surprising things he told us was that the league told them not to call anything unless it was clear the foul would bring an immediate advantage to the team. The league didn't want the officiating to control the game any more than necessary. As you can imagine, a lot of wild stuff went on during those games that was never called and the officials just had to ignore it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the WNBA is directing the officiating like that.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/29/11 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you give the refs a chance to make a call, they just might. LJ took a chance with the screen and got away with it; Toliver took a chance with her move and didn't.

There are a lot of plays that can turn a game, and some are in the first quarter. A point is a point, after all ...

PostPosted: 08/29/11 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This sign from a stormfan is hilarious Laughing Surprised Laughing Very Happy
http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/content/bb/wp-bb/gal-wp-bb/wnba-seattle-storm-65-vs-los-angeles-sparks-63.shtml?48428#6

eclair

PostPosted: 08/29/11 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see this game, and I can't see tomorrow's. But it's all good--Storm win tomorrow, Storm lose, doesn't matter.

The highlight of my WNBA season is coming home and reading this very entertaining total meltdown by LA fans.

Nobody could have done it better than you. Thanks for the supreme amusement.

-eclair.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

people, just imagine what happen it there was no call made? there would've been a much bigger uproar here. it wasn't a ticky tack bump. there was enough hard contact to alter bird's balance. and ya'al know bird is not good enough to flop.

just think if there was no call and sparks won the game, then ya'al going say the referees and the wnba decided the game for the golden girls and the sparks.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eclair wrote:
I didn't see this game, and I can't see tomorrow's. But it's all good--Storm win tomorrow, Storm lose, doesn't matter.

The highlight of my WNBA season is coming home and reading this very entertaining total meltdown by LA fans.

-eclair.

I don't see any "meltdown". You're too easily amused.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/29/11 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coffy73 wrote:
eclair wrote:

-eclair.

I don't either. LA fans are only saying the exact same things we've been saying all season long, well since Parker got injured.

PostPosted: 08/29/11 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
coffy73 wrote:
eclair wrote:

-eclair.

I don't either. LA fans are only saying the exact same things we've been saying all season long, well since Parker got injured.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/29/11 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eclair wrote:

-eclair.

Couldn't agree more.

What's better than seeing LA beaten by a large margin with impartial referees? ... Answer: seeing them beaten by a point or two on a contentious call.

So what is better than that? ... Answer: reading all the whiny stuff from LA supporters after such a loss.

So surely that must be as good as it gets? ... Answer: not quite - just imagine how great it would be if the whole thing were repeated two days later in front of their own whiny fans.

So is that the limit? ... Answer: close, but there is still winning the lottery and great sex.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: