RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/17/20 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is some prospect analysis from Lynx writer Katie Davidson.
These pieces do not reflect the views of the Minnesota Lynx front office. *wink, wink*

It Appears As If There Might Not Be A Ceiling For Sabrina Ionescu
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
It would be considered basketball malpractice if Ionescu wasn’t selected as the No. 1 overall draft pick.

Dear WNBA Fans: Don’t Sleep On Satou Sabally
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
It’s highly likely that Sabally will be selected as the No. 2 overall pick behind college teammate Sabrina Ionescu, and it’d be pretty surprising if she dropped anywhere below the No. 4 overall pick.

Lauren Cox’s Defensive Will Go A Long Way In The WNBA
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Cox is expected to be drafted anywhere from No. 2 to No. 5.

Chennedy Carter Has A Shot, She Just Has To Bring It Back
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Carter will likely be the second point guard selected in the 2020 WNBA draft and could go as high as the No. 4 overall pick.

Ruthy Hebard Is Consistent, But What About Her Range?
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Hebard will probably be selected either No. 4 of No. 5 depending on team needs and shouldn’t drop below the No. 7 overall pick.

Megan Walker’s Range Will Fit Right In At Next Level
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Walker is a mid-level, first-round draft pick who probably won’t crack into the top five selections.

Tyasha Harris’ Throwback Style At Point Guard Is Refreshing
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Harris will likely be taken in the second half of the first round of the 2020 draft.

Kiah Gillespie’s Shooting Could Be The X-Factor Of Her Pro Career
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
At best, I see Gillespie being taken No. 8 overall, but I don’t see her slipping to the second round of the draft.

If Beatrice Mompremier Can Prove She’s Healthy, She Could Be Dangerous
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Mompremier will be a first-round pick, probably. An ankle injury is somewhat worrisome, but talent-wise, she should be a top-10 pick.

Where Will Te’a Cooper Be Drafted? That’s A Great Question
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Cooper will likely be a mid to late first-round pick.

She Might Not Be Coming From A Powerhouse, But Bella Alarie Can Hoop
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Alarie will likely be a late first-round or early second-round pick.

Joyner Holmes Has Proven She Can Come Back, But Can She Arrive In The WNBA?
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Holmes will probably be an early second-round selection.

Shadeen Samuels’ Future Will Depend A Lot On Team Fit
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Samuels won’t be taken in the first round given the amount of talented small forwards in this year’s draft, but it’s likely she’ll be taken early in the second round. She’ll probably be off the board by the time the Lynx make their second selection with the No. 16 overall pick.

Depending On Where She Goes, Crystal Dangerfield Could Be The Steal Of The Draft
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Early mock drafts predicted Dangerfield would be a first-round draft pick, but she’ll likely fall to the second round given how fellow point guards Tyasha Harris and Chennedy Carter finished their 2019-20 seasons.

Arizona’s Aari McDonald Has A Big Decision To Make
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
At the start of the season, it seemed as though McDonald would be a surefire first-round pick if she decided to declare for the draft. Now, after ending her junior redshirt season with a leg injury, McDonald would probably be selected No. 16 at best, which makes her decision much more difficult.

Can Tynice Martin Overcome Her Rocky 2019 Season?
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Martin was once projected to be a late first-round pick at the start of the 2019-20 season but has since dropped on the draft board and will likely be selected early in the second round.

Mikayla Pivec Needs To Prove There’s More To Her Game At The Next Level
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Pivec is a safe, late second-round pick. She’ll probably fall in the No. 18-20 range.

Can Kaila Charles Add A 3-Point Shot To Her Game?
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Charles is expected to be a late second-round pick.

Can Leaonna Odom Bring Consistency To Her Game?
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Odom has a high ceiling but comes with high risk, making her a predicted late second-round selection.

Peyton Williams Was A Rebounding Machine At Kansas State
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
At best, Williams will be selected late in the second round. She’s already come to terms with starting her career overseas, which would fit well with the anthropology degree she’ll earn at the end of the semester.

Will Taiye Bello’s Rebounding Be Enough To Get Her To The WNBA?
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Bello’s best chance at being drafted will be in the bottom half of the third round.

Can Brittany Brewer Capitalize On Her 2019-20 Season?
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Brewer is one of the few centers expected to be selected in the 2020 draft. I’d suspect she might be chosen by the Connecticut Sun — who don’t list a center on their roster — with the No. 23 overall pick, or she might fall to the third round to a rebuilding team such as the Atlanta Dream who hold the No. 25 and 27 picks.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/20/20 7:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
blaase22

PostPosted: 03/17/20 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alarie will probably drop to 14 and the rebuilding lynx decided to get washed up oft injured shenise johnson instead Rolling Eyes

six sense

PostPosted: 03/17/20 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do not see Alarie getting passed liberty at 13

PostPosted: 03/17/20 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll be really interesting to see where Alarie goes. I remember when my cr@ckhead self thought that Indiana might take her at #3. Embarassed Still, I'd be very surprised if she didn't go somewhere between #6 and #10.

Gillespie's 30% from 3 at a high volume and lack of height & athleticism against other pro-level PFs are big concerns for me. Her biggest plus though is her ability to score inside the arc (face-up moves, footwork), but I don't know if it'll be enough to outweigh her downsides. She'd be really interesting if she were a few inches taller, although that sentiment could of course apply to countless others.

Harris doesn't really have any negatives to her game, but I still don't think she does any one thing at an elite level. I could see her W ceiling being that of a career back-up.

Mompremier now has loads of extra time to rest and heal up, so her health and hopefully her draft stock shouldn't be concerns by the time training camp actually starts. Imo she's one of the few good, true-C prospects of both this draft and 2021's draft (of the Americans, anyway); so teams with a need at C that pass her up might be regretting it later.

I still don't really like Walker early-declaring, but taking a look at her final numbers from this year, I definitely understand now why she did. Her 45% from 3 in particular seemed like a bit of "overperformance." Playing with several new players as well as in the tougher Big East conference I think would've made her numbers retreat a little next year, so going pro now might be a really savvy move for herself.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/18/20 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Here is some prospect analysis from Lynx writer Katie Davidson.
These pieces do not reflect the views of the Minnesota Lynx front office. *wink, wink*

I am very impressed with the breadth of each article and, in some cases, frank analysis of a player's strengths and weaknesses.

Nice job, Minnesota Lynx!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/18/20 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Can Leaonna Odom Bring Consistency To Her Game?
Quote:
Where she’ll go:
Odom has a high ceiling but comes with high risk, making her a predicted late second-round selection.

I have been calling Leaonna Odom a sleeper pick/steal for many months now. The raw talent and physical gifts are there; it is a matter of the right coach getting Odom to buy in and to harness everything she has to reach her ceiling.

six sense

PostPosted: 03/18/20 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good article on Odom she is also my sleeper pick I would bet on her ceiling and pick her before Joyner, who some mock drafts have going to liberty in second round, not a fan of hers

PostPosted: 03/19/20 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New Voepel mock draft. Hebard at #11 is the only one that looks controversial.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/28924082/wnba-mock-draft-2020-sabrina-ionescu-continues-top-pick

PostPosted: 03/19/20 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/28924082/wnba-mock-draft-2020-sabrina-ionescu-continues-top-pick

Assuming we actually have a 2020 season, Seattle's remaining roster decisions are the most intriguing to me. They've got 13 pieces to fit into 12 holes, and if someone like Hebard drops all the way to #11 that just makes things more difficult. Even if Magbegor doesn't show up (which for various reasons surely becomes more likely with all the crap currently going on), they've left themselves in the dumb position where that would just mean 12 pieces for 11 holes. I'm really not sure what they're thinking.

PostPosted: 03/19/20 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Assuming we actually have a 2020 season, Seattle's remaining roster decisions are the most intriguing to me. They've got 13 pieces to fit into 12 holes, and if someone like Hebard drops all the way to #11 that just makes things more difficult. Even if Magbegor doesn't show up (which for various reasons surely becomes more likely with all the crap currently going on), they've left themselves in the dumb position where that would just mean 12 pieces for 11 holes. I'm really not sure what they're thinking.

I don’t follow. Why would Magbegor not playing give the Storm one less roster spot?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/19/20 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I don’t follow. Why would Magbegor not playing give the Storm one less roster spot?

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-wnba-roster-and-salary-cap-breakdowns
Scroll to the bottom for the Seattle section Smile.

PostPosted: 03/19/20 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That scenario is all assuming Magbegor will be on the team. If not, just replace her salary with the draft pick.

Randy

PostPosted: 03/19/20 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would the problem be solved if Magbegor spent the first part of the season practicing with the Opals for Tokyo?

Or maybe Prince gets waived and no team is dumb enough pick up her 115 k salary, then she signs with Storm a few weeks later.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/19/20 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
That scenario is all assuming Magbegor will be on the team. If not, just replace her salary with the draft pick.

In that case I didn't explain it well enough. The 12 pieces including the draft pick but not including Magbegor doesn't fit under the salary cap - because Magbegor would be on 57k (which fits), but the #11 pick would get 62.5k (which doesn't). That's why the pick would have to beat out one of the non-guaranteed vets (Langhorne, Prince, Whitcomb or Clark) rather than one of the minimum salaried players (Magbegor, Russell or Canada).

If Magbegor doesn't show up they could try to pull the move Phoenix did last year with Leilani Mitchell - waive one of those vets, hope they clear waivers, then re-sign them for slightly less. But as it stands, the current roster minus Magbegor plus #11, doesn't fit.

PostPosted: 03/19/20 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotcha. Thank you.

As for Voepel’s mock draft, the only real issue I have is with Mompremier going to Chicago. They already have Lavender and Parker, who play similarly to each other and to Mompremier. As versatility is a premium in this league I think they would be much better served to take a player that is unique to their roster, like Alarie, instead of stockpiling on the same type of player. This would be a head scratcher to me.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/19/20 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Gotcha. Thank you.

As for Voepel’s mock draft, the only real issue I have is with Mompremier going to Chicago. They already have Lavender and Parker, who play similarly to each other and to Mompremier. As versatility is a premium in this league I think they would be much better served to take a player that is unique to their roster, like Alarie, instead of stockpiling on the same type of player. This would be a head scratcher to me.

I would consider Stevens similar to Alarie.

Vandersloot/Colson
Quigley/Copper/APrince
DeShields/GWilliams
Lavender/Stevens
Dolson/ChParker

Definitely space to add a post. Good posts are a premium. So if you can draft a decent one at #8, I think I’d go that route over drafting a guard, since APrince will probably turn out to be expendable.

Randy

PostPosted: 03/19/20 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Has Carter actually declared? Has she said that she is likely too?

No. But she mentioned on her Instagram that she's making an important announcement this week.

I can’t find it. Link?

It is now Thursday and no announcement - wonder if Carter is having second thoughts, or just can't decide? Of course she could wait til Friday, or even Saturday (though seems like that could miss out on some of the coverage.)

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/19/20 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Gotcha. Thank you.

Vandersloot/Colson
Quigley/Copper/APrince
DeShields/GWilliams
Lavender/Stevens
Dolson/ChParker

Definitely space to add a post. Good posts are a premium. So if you can draft a decent one at #8, I think I’d go that route over drafting a guard, since APrince will probably turn out to be expendable.

Add to the fact that Lavender and Parker will both be UFAs after this season, might not be a bad idea to take a post for insurance.

PostPosted: 03/19/20 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Shades wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Gotcha. Thank you.

Vandersloot/Colson
Quigley/Copper/APrince
DeShields/GWilliams
Lavender/Stevens
Dolson/ChParker

Add to the fact that Lavender and Parker will both be UFAs after this season, might not be a bad idea to take a post for insurance.

The $68,000 dollars question is which post player should the Sky pick?

PostPosted: 03/20/20 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Shades wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Gotcha. Thank you.

Vandersloot/Colson
Quigley/Copper/APrince
DeShields/GWilliams
Lavender/Stevens
Dolson/ChParker

The $68,000 dollars question is which post player should the Sky pick?

Alarie. Take the gamble on 6’4 mobile w/ range, intelligence, drive.

PostPosted: 03/20/20 4:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Associated Press All Americans

First Team
Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon, 5-11, senior, Walnut Creek, Calif., 17.5 ppg, 9.1 apg, 8.6 rpg (30 of 30 first-place votes, 150 points)
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky, 6-2, sophomore, Cleveland, Tenn., 23.4 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 38.2 3-point % (23, 134)
Ruthy Hebard, Oregon, 6-4, senior, Fairbanks, Alaska, 17.3 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 68.5 fg%, (21, 126)
Lauren Cox, Baylor, 6-4, senior, Flower Mound, Texas, 12.5 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 2.7 blocks (20, 116)
Megan Walker, UConn, 6-1, junior, Chesterfield, Va., 19.7 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 47.7 fg% (14, 97)

Second Team
Aliyah Boston, South Carolina, 6-5, freshman, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I., 12.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 60.9 fg% (6, 74)
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M, 5-7, junior, Mansfield, Texas, 21.3 ppg, 3.5 apg, 4.3 rpg (7, 72)
Satou Sabally, Oregon, 6-4, junior, Berlin, Germany, 16.2 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 79.2 ft% (6, 71)
Aari McDonald, Arizona, 5-6, junior, Fresno, Calif. 20.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 79.1 ft% (6, 69)
Dana Evans, Louisville, 5-6, junior, Gary, Ind., 18.0 ppg, 4.2 apg, 89.0 ft% (3, 69)

Third Team
Tyasha Harris, South Carolina, 5-10, senior, Noblesville, Ind., 12.1 ppg, 5.7 apg, 86.7 ft% (7, 57)
Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA, 6-0, junior, Aurora, Colo., 19.1 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 46.9 fg% (0, 39)
Kathleen Doyle, Iowa, 5-9, senior, LaGrange Park, Ill., 18.1 ppg, 6.3 apg, 4.6 rpg (1, 36)
Elissa Cunane, North Carolina State, 6-5, sophomore, Summerfield, N.C., 16.4 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 54.7 fg% (0, 32)
Kaila Charles, Maryland, 6-1 senior, Glenn Dale, Md., 14.3 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 50 fg% (0, 31)

Honorable Mention
Jaylyn Agnew, Creighton
Bella Alarie, Princeton
Te'a Cooper, Baylor
Crystal Dangerfield, UConn
Rennia Davis, Tennessee
Ciara Duffy, South Dakota
Haley Gorecki, Duke
Vivian Gray, Oklahoma State
Arella Guirantes, Rutgers
Ashley Joens, Iowa State
Stella Johnson, Rider
Ila Lane, UC Santa Barbara
Beatrice Mompremier, Miami
Olivia Nelson-Ododa, UConn
Mikayla Pivec, Oregon State
Lindsey Pulliam, Northwestern
NaLyssa Smith, Baylor
Chante Stonewall, DePaul
Unique Thompson, Auburn
Kiana Williams, Stanford

Senior
Draft eligible underclassman

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/20/20 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An interesting trend has developed -- more top-end players are declaring early than in the past, it seems to me.

The logic, assuming the world reverts to something like it was before the coronavirus, is that the $200,000 you can earn in year one of your career can never be made up at the end of your career.

PostPosted: 03/21/20 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New mock draft up on Chicago Sun-Times, would love for draft to play out this way liberty would have a lot to choose from at 13 but I don't see this happening lol

PostPosted: 03/21/20 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the link:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2020/3/21/21183694/wnba-mock-draft-sabrina-ionescu-to-go-first-overall-but-what-will-sky-do-with-8th-overall-pick

It’s a fairly normal-looking 1st Round until the last pick. If Guirantes were to come out early, I don’t think it’s a totally crazy idea that she could go late 1st Round/early 2nd. Arella is under the radar because she’s a junior and Rutgers is a fairly low profile team these days. I haven’t seen her play that much, but Guirantes certainly grabs your attention. She’s a flashy player with good one-on-one skills. Arella’s FG% is a bit low at 41.3%, but the 3Pt% is decent at 38.5% (37-96). She has more TOs than assists, which is a concern, but it looks to me like she is asked to create offense when the rest of the team is stagnant. Forcing the action always results in more TOs. Athletically, Guirantes is a big guard at 5-11 and she looks to be fairly quick. I don’t claim to know her that well, but based on limited viewing and the available stats, Guirantes on paper is at least as good a prospect as Chelsea Dungee.

PostPosted: 03/21/20 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

six sense wrote:
New mock draft up on Chicago Sun-Times, would love for draft to play out this way liberty would have a lot to choose from at 13 but I don't see this happening lol

I am hoping one of Holmes, Odom, Charles, Pivec sneaks into the first round.
I would love to draft Gillespie or Alarie at 13.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 40 of 59

Jump to: