Board Junkies Forums

2022 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/16/21 3:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Who are potential early entrants?

Ayoka Lee, Sedona Prince, and Nyara Sabally are who I’ve spotted so far. Haven’t found the birthdate for Ashley Owusu yet. She’d be a big one for me.

My eagle eye spotted something about Sabally.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0qLq1l-SrDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Milks26

PostPosted: 04/16/21 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Destiny Henderson out of SC will be in the 1st round

PostPosted: 04/16/21 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Re: C/PFs -- I see you also have Juhasz and Carter higher than Hillmon on your list. (I don't disagree).

No love for Christyn Williams or Olivia Nelson-Ododa? Also, do you think Grace Berger stands a chance if she can develop an outside shot? (I know that's a big 'if.')

Oops...edited her out accidentally. It's been corrected. Ododa is way too soft to last in the W, tho. Berger was actually the last player cut. Burton's combination of defense and shooting gave her a very slight edge; but despite the lack of an outside shot - which she absolutely has the mid-range form to improve upon - Berger's all-around game gives me some Katie Douglas vibes.

I'm a UCONN homer, but I actually think Christyn will be a much better pro than a college player, especially if she develops a more consistent jump shot over the course of the next year. I do agree with you on ONO, however. I think she might be a 3rd round pick, maybe.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/16/21 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
I don't see how Naz makes it given her lack of size and versatility. From those two vantage points she seems, to me, even more poorly suited to the league than Gustafson.

You're not wrong, versatility is a premium in the W. For the same reasons I'm inclined to think that NaLyssa Smith might also be a bit overrated at this point. Austin, Cunane and Joens all have wider skill-sets and more long-term potential, IMO.

Here's my Top 12 regardless of draft order:
1. Rhyne Howard
2. Shakira Austin
3. Elissa Cunane
4. Ashley Joens
5. NaLyssa Smith
6. Rae Burrell
7. Lexie Hull
8. Christyn Williams
9. Jessika Carter
10. Evina Westbrook
11. Dorka Juhasz
12. Naz Hillmon
*13. Veronica Burton

On Rhyne Howard-she clearly has talent. But her body language, on court demeanor, and attitude are a bit of a red flag to me. For lack of a better word, she seems like a brat.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/16/21 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:

Was it the 12.2 ppg this season for you?
Guirantes was at 21.3 ppg this season.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/16/21 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Was it the 12.2 ppg this season for you?
Guirantes was at 21.3 ppg this season.

Stand back and stand by.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would Kierstan Bell with a birthday of March 16, 2000 be eligible?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/16/21 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Would Kierstan Bell with a birthday of March 16, 2000 be eligible?

She’s the reigning Becky Hammon Mid-major Player of the Year. Gotta add her to the list.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/17/21 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The top 15 2022 WNBA Draft prospects, from Rhyne Howard to Cate Reese

The Athletic’s early take by Lyndsey D'Arcangelo Apr 16, 2021

These are my comments. Go to the link for her comments and stats of the players.

1. Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
6-2 | Guard

Potential to be one of the best ever. Just needs Maya’s competitive heart.

2. Naz Hillmon, Michigan
6-2 | Forward

She has Maya’s competitive heart. Also has Maya’s strong pro build. A three point shot would be nice.

3. NaLyssa Smith, Baylor
6-2 | Forward

She really stepped during the second half of this season. If she can keep that momentum going throughout next season, that should be her ticket to the lottery.

4. Elissa Cunane, NC State
6-5 | Center

She can hit the three, but she’s very low volume. Not the strongest rebounder for size. Only about a block per game. I’d put her in the bottom half of first for now.

5. Ashley Joens, Iowa State
6-0 | Forward

Comes from the same school that Bridget Carleton went to and similar games. They both won the Cheryl Miller award for best SF in the nation, except Joens win as a junior. I noticed she likes to post up players, but her dribble is slow and high. I don’t think that’ll fly at the next level. Bottom half first round.

6. Christyn Williams, UConn
5-11 | Guard

UConn could be the best team next year, so Williams will benefit from that hype. I don’t think her minutes will be hurt with the addition of Fudd. Wouldn’t be surprised if she’s the first guard taken in this draft. 5-11? No way.

7. Anastasia Hayes, Mississippi State
5-7 | Guard

I’m not a fan of small guards in general, but I liked what I saw when MTSU played Tennessee. High energy player similar to McDonald. We’ll see what happens when she plays for Mississippi St.

8. Rae Burrell, Tennessee
6-1 | Guard/Forward

Pretty sure this was her first year as a starter, so I’m tempering my expectations next season. Keeping her out of the first round until she proves otherwise.

9. Jessika Carter, Mississippi State
6-5 | Forward/Center

I didn’t watch a lot of Mississippi St. They had a disappointing season. Might watch them more now that Hayes is on the same team.

10. Olivia Nelson-Ododa, UConn
6-5 | Forward

Before this season, I thought maybe she’d be top half of this draft, but really needs to step up for that to happen.

11. Destanni Henderson, South Carolina
5-7 | Guard

Getting kinda of tired of small guards. If Evans goes second round in 2021, I’m putting Henderson in the second in this one.

12. Queen Egbo, Baylor
6-3 | Center

She’s another Baylor player that stepped up when Baylor needed her. I like her in the first round for now.

13. Lexie Hull, Stanford
6-0 | Guard

I like her as a possible WNBA player if she takes advantage of an opening. How about you, Myrtle? Maybe she’ll be the go-to guard with Williams gone.

14. Evina Westbrook, UConn
6-0 | Guard

I thought she could have been close to a first round pick in this year’s draft. Now everything rides on where she fits in with UConn with Fudd there.

15. Cate Reese, Arizona
6-2 | Forward

Don’t know much about her. I’ll keep an eye on her... maybe.

Leaving Shakira Austin off the list is a huge oversight. I tentatively place her at #4 in this draft.

I’m curious if Staiti will up her game next season.

Wouldn’t be a bad time to add a couple teams before the 2022 season, but not sure how realistic that would be.

Last edited by Shades on 04/19/21 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/17/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

13. Lexie Hull, Stanford
6-0 | Guard

I like her as a possible WNBA player if she takes advantage of an opening. How about you, Myrtle? Maybe she’ll be the go-to guard with Williams gone.

Next year, for better or worse, it will likely be Haley Jones' team. Lexie will continue to do what she does. She is a really strong two way wing. She's big and strong, she can score in a variety of ways, is smart and very team-oriented and she defends really well. Her ball handling is not her best asset so she wouldn't become a PG. Of course I'm prejudiced, but would definitely be surprised if she went this low, even in a strong draft.

PS the link is a pay for article so not generally accessible so I don't know what they had to say about her.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/17/21 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As the saying goes, it's not you, it's me ...

Once again, I am underwhelmed by the talent in the draft. It's better than this year, but that's a pretty low bar. (If Cate Reese is even being considered for the first round, that's a big red flag. Nice college post ...)

PostPosted: 04/17/21 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been wondering if Mya Hollingshed could go in the first round potentially.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/17/21 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I've been wondering if Mya Hollingshed could go in the first round potentially.

Nobody had her in the first round this year if she declared, so she’d have to have a killer season. Not seeing it.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/18/21 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

13. Lexie Hull, Stanford
6-0 | Guard

Next year, for better or worse, it will likely be Haley Jones' team. Lexie will continue to do what she does. She is a really strong two way wing. She's big and strong, she can score in a variety of ways, is smart and very team-oriented and she defends really well. Her ball handling is not her best asset so she wouldn't become a PG. Of course I'm prejudiced, but would definitely be surprised if she went this low, even in a strong draft.

I see Hull as the next 2-3 tweener iteration of Karlie Samuelson – albeit more well-rounded as a player than her: not physical/strong enough to play & guard the 3, not a good enough ballhandler nor quick enough defensively to play & guard the 2. Not to mention: she didn't even shoot 40% from the field this season. She'll have to step herself up a lot in the next season if she wants to get drafted in a good position. Kiana Williams' skill set will translate much better than Lexie Hull's – and in a Draft that'll have been weaker than the next one, Williams still only got picked in the middle of the 2nd round.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/18/21 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As for Lexie Hull, all she does is win ...

She was the key player on her high school team (Central Valley WA) that came out of nowhere to beat much more highly touted teams in the GEICO event, and wound up No. 1 in the nation.

And now with Stanford ...

Is she the perfect player? No, but someone who defend anywhere on the perimeter, has a high basketball IQ, can make open threes and rises to the challenge in big moments might find a home in someone's rotation.

PostPosted: 04/18/21 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.lines.com/wnba/drafts

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 04/18/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio State transfer Dorka Juhász hopes playing for UConn will help her achieve WNBA dreams and make home country of Hungary proud
https://gazette.com/ap/sports/ohio-state-transfer-dorka-juh-sz-hopes-playing-for-uconn-will-help-her-achieve-wnba/article_633d1ded-d218-582c-ade7-c36611c9987b.html

Quote:
After three seasons with the Buckeyes, Juhász faced another fork in the road: graduating in three years from Ohio State, she was well-positioned to explore other basketball opportunities. After making that initial leap to move to an entirely new country, this decision was a bit easier.

“That was a basketball decision for me. I loved everything about Ohio State. I love the girls. I had no problems anywhere here,” Juhász said. “I felt like for my basketball career, I needed to take that step to enter the portal and look for an opportunity where I can just develop and make sure that I am doing everything in my power and am in a program that can prepare me for a professional life.”

Quote:
One of my biggest goals is to go to the WNBA. As a Hungarian girl, that’s something that I’m super looking forward to [after] playing at UConn and improving, if it takes me there,” Juhász said. “I’m trying to get the most out of my experience and making sure I can get better as much as I can to develop as a player here.”

Quote:
Juhász says she doesn’t have any expectations and isn’t assuming anything as far as playing time or starting goes. As a stretch four who shot 40% from the arc her sophomore year, she brings a dimension to the Huskies’ frontcourt that they haven’t had in years.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/19/21 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For anyone who's interested, we have a few running lists over at WBBDaily regarding who of the 2021 Draft prospects ended up returning to school, as well as who from the 2021 Draft made themselves available for it but went undrafted and potentially could return to school if they avoid signing a pro contract. I'll try & keep it updated there as it pertains to anymore undrafted players signing contracts as well as which of the prospects returning to school have transferred to a different school. Y'all can also let me know if there's any notable names absent from the lists.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/21 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

13. Lexie Hull, Stanford
6-0 | Guard

I see Hull as the next 2-3 tweener iteration of Karlie Samuelson – albeit more well-rounded as a player than her: not physical/strong enough to play & guard the 3, not a good enough ballhandler nor quick enough defensively to play & guard the 2. Not to mention: she didn't even shoot 40% from the field this season. She'll have to step herself up a lot in the next season if she wants to get drafted in a good position. Kiana Williams' skill set will translate much better than Lexie Hull's – and in a Draft that'll have been weaker than the next one, Williams still only got picked in the middle of the 2nd round.

I think you underestimate Lexie's defensive abilities. She has defended one thru four for us. For toughness and strength, look at the UCLA games where she is primary defender on Onyenwere. At the other end, look at the Arizona games where she is secondary (and sometimes actually more effective than Wilson) defender on Aari. Against WSU she spent a lot of time on Leger-Walker. She is deceptively quick and has good lateral movement, excellent smarts and instincts. On the offensive end, she has endless motor. Will she be a superstar in the W? no. But IMO she has the skills to be an Alysha Clark, and that is pretty high praise.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/19/21 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

13. Lexie Hull, Stanford
6-0 | Guard

I think you underestimate Lexie's defensive abilities. She has defended one thru four for us. For toughness and strength, look at the UCLA games where she is primary defender on Onyenwere. At the other end, look at the Arizona games where she is secondary (and sometimes actually more effective than Wilson) defender on Aari. Against WSU she spent a lot of time on Leger-Walker. She is deceptively quick and has good lateral movement, excellent smarts and instincts. On the offensive end, she has endless motor. Will she be a superstar in the W? no. But IMO she has the skills to be an Alysha Clark, and that is pretty high praise.

From what I seen of her she has a lot of potential. If she works on her outside jump shot she can be a first round draft pick for sure. Currently she is just as good talentwise as most of players drafted the past two years that play her position.

PostPosted: 04/19/21 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

13. Lexie Hull, Stanford
6-0 | Guard

From what I seen of her she has a lot of potential. If she works on her outside jump shot she can be a first round draft pick for sure. Currently she is just as good talentwise as most of players drafted the past two years that play her position.

PostPosted: 04/19/21 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think you underestimate Lexie's defensive abilities. She has defended one thru four for us. For toughness and strength, look at the UCLA games where she is primary defender on Onyenwere. At the other end, look at the Arizona games where she is secondary (and sometimes actually more effective than Wilson) defender on Aari. Against WSU she spent a lot of time on Leger-Walker. She is deceptively quick and has good lateral movement, excellent smarts and instincts. On the offensive end, she has endless motor. Will she be a superstar in the W? No. But IMO she has the skills to be an Alysha Clark, and that is pretty high praise.

Perhaps. I'll have to watch Lexie Hull more closely going forward, since there have certainly been more eye-catching players on the Stanford roster as of late. (It also doesn't help that I still get her confused with her sister on the court, as I haven't memorized which numbers they are, so it's possible I lump Lexie's play with Lacie's at times, and vice versa.) Being a player that's more so about good fundamentals over dazzling athleticism and/or brute strength also works to keep her blended in with the team. And you're right, that's pretty much how Alysha Clark operates as well – she does her job on the defensive end so well that it can come off as low-key and at times hardly noticeable. Lexie's also a better rebounder/glass crasher than I think she gets credit for – that much I did notice particularly late in the Tournament (though I had to go back to the stat sheet to make sure I wasn't confusing her with Lacie Embarassed ). Offensively, I do look at her shooting percentages (from the past season as well as for her career) and I have concerns, considering she plays with enough talent around her that defenses wouldn't necessarily be keying in on her at all times. It could be because she's having to expend so much energy on the defensive end, I don't know. (But as you said, she has an endless motor, so that probably wouldn't explain it.) It will be interesting to see if her role on that end of the floor changes/expands moving forward, with Williams' graduation leaving a slight scoring void.

What position do you think Lexie would be in the W? Or do you think she's talented enough to play either the 2 or the 3? Also, I'm wondering if reigning Pac-12 6POY Lacie becomes a more prevalent player moving forward, at least with Stanford. As you've surely picked up by now, I have no idea what makes Lexie objectively a better player than Lacie, which seems to be the case given the disparity between their respective roles on the team.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/19/21 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any info for DOB’s for players like Haley Jones & Aaliyah Boston?

PostPosted: 04/19/21 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Lexie is more naturally a three than a two, but also that she will do whatever is asked of her. I was surprised that she only shot 35% from three because it seems like whenever we really needed a three, she would make one. I think her sweet spot (like Clark) is the baseline three. The thing I would tell her to work on is her handle. I actually haven't seen that it is terrible but OTOH she always seems to want to pass or hand it off rather than dribble in the weave, so I think she's not that confident in it...or maybe that's what she's being told to do. Another thing that reminds me of Clark is that they will sometimes post her up against smaller players.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/21 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Any info for DOB’s for players like Haley Jones & Aaliyah Boston?

Boston is Dec 1, 2001

Haley Jones May 23, 2001

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 1 of 40

Jump to: