Mercury
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 21

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 08/25/17 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Where would Robinson fit better?

Back in San Antonio where she belonged with Moriah Jefferson. But they wanted Plum instead LOL.

caune

PostPosted: 08/25/17 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
So BG can walk up to refs with her fist balled up calling thevref a "Mfin B**ch " multiple times & not recieve a T or ejection. Shocked But a missed punch then They take action. They Being The WNBA !

Yes because league rules state throwing a punch is an automatic suspension.

PostPosted: 08/25/17 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
So BG can walk up to refs with her fist balled up calling thevref a "Mfin B**ch " multiple times & not recieve a T or ejection. Shocked But a missed punch then They take action. They Being The WNBA !

That said, if Griner actually said that directly to a ref I'm shocked that she didn't at least get a technical. Some things you just don't say to officials without repercussions, and I'd have thought that would be on the list.

PostPosted: 08/25/17 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
caune wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

That said, if Griner actually said that directly to a ref I'm shocked that she didn't at least get a technical. Some things you just don't say to officials without repercussions, and I'd have thought that would be on the list.

Since Griner towers so high above most officials, and rebuke from God during games is so common, they probably didn't realize that the comment came from her. Wink

Kailapea

PostPosted: 08/25/17 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
caune wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Since Griner towers so high above most officials, and rebuke from God during games is so common, they probably didn't realize that the comment came from her. Wink

That look Griner gave Evil or Very Mad scare the crap out of me, through the TV

PostPosted: 08/25/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yes Laughing Can LA trade rookies Laughing

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/25/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Queenie wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Taurasi out for rest.

Given this crew, Taurasi out to prevent us from finding out how many ways she can tell a ref to go fuck herself.

Agree. I think every ref in the league is against Phoenix as they seem to call more fouls on them and basically ignore many fouls on other teams(especially the Lynx and the Sparks). I figured out early on that the league wants the same 2 teams in the finals as last year.

Presumably this is a joke ...

If not, please explain.

PostPosted: 08/25/17 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
willtalk wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
caune wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

That look Griner gave Evil or Very Mad scare the crap out of me, through the TV

Griner literally walked up to the ref followed behind her saying "MFin B***ch" at least 4 different times. The Ref i believe was Horrible tiffany bird , allowed it but only said "Alright Now , Alright Now " It was the play when BG hit nneka on the low block and a offensive foul was called and the call was right , but due to Tiffany bird's previous horrible calls that Kinda set them on fire !

PostPosted: 08/25/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Comments fromTaurasi indicate that her being held out of the game shocked her and was Sandy's choice solely. Wonder if their relationship is withering? Not that I know anything, I'm just speculating based on the comments.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/25/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering they'd lost their previous two games against good teams by a combined 64 points, maybe Brondello felt it was virtually impossible to do any worse if Taurasi stayed in street clothes. Although I don't really see the point of fighting to make the playofffs if you're essentially going to concede that you can't beat the good teams anyway. Save the stars for games against the likes of Seattle to get in, then get murdered once you face anyone of any quality in the second or third round. Um, yay?

PostPosted: 08/25/17 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Considering they'd lost their previous two games against good teams by a combined 64 points, maybe Brondello felt it was virtually impossible to do any worse if Taurasi stayed in street clothes. Although I don't really see the point of fighting to make the playofffs if you're essentially going to concede that you can't beat the good teams anyway. Save the stars for games against the likes of Seattle to get in, then get murdered once you face anyone of any quality in the second or third round. Um, yay?

I'm wondering how the coach basically admitting you can't compete with top teams (and need a fully rested star to play against the middle of the pack teams) impacts the players who do play. They aren't playing with a ton of confidence.

willtalk

PostPosted: 08/25/17 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I'm wondering how the coach basically admitting you can't compete with top teams (and need a fully rested star to play against the middle of the pack teams) impacts the players who do play. They aren't playing with a ton of confidence.

If I remember correctly Gregg Popovich did that once towards the end of the season with Tim Duncan and a few veterans to get them some rest. He picked a game that served his tactical purpose. Actually using a game you were not probably going to win anyway would be good tactically if you wanted to rest one of your players to get ready for the payoffs. Making the playoff and advancing as far as possible might be a moral victory for a team like theirs. It is morally superior to tanking to get a chance in the lottery.

miller40

PostPosted: 08/25/17 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

If I remember correctly Gregg Popovich did that once towards the end of the season with Tim Duncan and a few veterans to get them some rest. He picked a game that served his tactical purpose. Actually using a game you were not probably going to win anyway would be good tactically if you wanted to rest one of your players to get ready for the payoffs. Making the playoff and advancing as far as possible might be a moral victory for a team like theirs. It is morally superior to tanking to get a chance in the lottery.

Yeah I get that Pop and others do this; I didn't really mean it as a critique of resting old players in general. I was more wondering about the specific reactions from the players on this specific team.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/26/17 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Depends what she's preaching.

Again, Pop would do this. Because he's preached to his players that all that matters in the regular season is getting into the playoffs, and we'll go full throttle in the playoffs.

Last season the Merc were considerably worse, and yet they ended up in the semi-finals. They've been on a down spin recently, but Griner is just getting back to form (and before that she was out). They were a really good team midseason. They get back to that in the playoffs and they'll make some noise.

I think sitting DT can do a few things for the Merc, especially against good teams. One, it gets D-Rob, Lei, Turner (IMO, an xfactor), and Currie more time on the floor together. If they play well, they'll get confidence.

It also keeps DT from getting a tech and not having her available for Seattle. Laughing

I'm annoyed with Sandy, and have been for a while. I think her rotations are terrible. (Which is my number 1 gripe with professional coaches. These players are PROFESSIONAL. You aren't telling Diana anything she doesn't know basketball wise, but if you stick her in a lineup with Cannon, Little, Talbot, and Lei..you're exposing her defensive weakness, forcing her to do too much on offense, you don't have a player on the court that wants to drive -forcing Diana to either jack threes or drive..something she should be saving for the playoffs. Also, we don't run many plays for her. A Diana Taurasi in Europe can create any shot she wants. A 30 year old Diana Taurasi can create any shot she wants. A 35 year old Diana..needs a little help. ) I think the defense can be better with this team as well (which again, depends on rotations), but again this will depend more on Griner getting back to form.

But her Pop like "resting old players" move....Totally agree with it.

PostPosted: 08/26/17 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've got no issue with it either. It seems sensible to me to rest her when the timing is right.
Phoenix might not look like a legit title shot, but if we make the playoffs I'd prefer that we did it with a Taurasi who had a chance to have an impact, rather than a Taurasi who was worn down from trying to carry the team herself for long stretches.

Richyyy wrote:
Save the stars for games against the likes of Seattle to get in, then get murdered once you face anyone of any quality in the second or third round. Um, yay?

Advancing past the first round is still a preferable result to not advancing past the first round, IMO.

PostPosted: 08/26/17 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
jap wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Taurasi out for rest.

Given this crew, Taurasi out to prevent us from finding out how many ways she can tell a ref to go fuck herself.

That would explain the late scratch. Diana looked at the ref list and started cursing, and the coaches all looked at each other and said "hmm, maybe you should sit this one out."

I'm confident DT is capable of getting a Technical even with a DNP. Laughing

Delisha "Sunshine" Milton-Jones did! She was in street clothes due to an injury and was T'd up on the bench for 'comments' directed to one of the refs after an foul called against LA. I have never seen or heard of any other player getting a technical in street clothes before or since. Laughing

Laughing

Now Taurasi has another milestone she needs to reach before retirement.

Sorry. DT has been there, done that. Mike Price T'd her up from the bench years ago. It was on the road and if I remember correctly, D was in street clothes too. I asked DT later what she said to get the T and she told me. Classic DT. Made me laugh.

BTW, this game was officiated terribly. I left before it was over and I can count on one hand how many times I have done that, with most being this year and officiating related in motive. BG could not even post up and Ace had a phantom air foul. Don't even get me started on traveling calls.... The bad calls went both ways. Usually do (not always consistently). I don't know how much more I can take. The WNBA has a great PRODUCT in the skill level of the players they have on the court but they ruin it with the inability of the officials they put on the court to officiate at that level.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: