RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Free Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/30/16 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
I think Hopkins is typical of many point guards who come into the league. She's as good, or better than a lot of points in the league right now, but just isn't getting the opportunity. It has a lot less to do with not being good enough and more to do with opportunity. Courtney Vandersloot, for example, is lucky she landed with a coach who was patient with her and let her develop or you know what she would be? She'd be Chelsea Hopkins and Sharnee Zoll.

Slooty's court vision is right alongside the top players in the league in that category. It might be the best in the whole league. If not, it's right there with Bird, Taurasi, Parker, etc. Not only has she earned her place in the league today, but she earned the right to develop and any pro coach would know that based on possibly the most important physical trait a point guard can have.

PostPosted: 12/30/16 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
I actually don't care much whether there is a rule seriously enforced on this board on this issue. I don't know much about players' private lives and that isn't why I'm here. I'm also not upset when people do post on that subject. When there were hundreds of posts about Griner and Johnson, I didn't criticize that. I just didn't read them.

What I find offensive on this board or anywhere else are the following: in-group vs. out-group ugliness, chiding rather than welcoming newcomers, invoking the "good old days," etc. etc.

I've only been on this board since 2010 so I guess to some I'm a newcomer. When I was genuinely new, no one treated me that way. People reacted to my comments fairly, agreed or disagreed, and NEVER cited the fact that they've been here longer. I appreciated that.

Well Bob, I guess I don't appreciated being dismissed as things I post as being ridiculous. That seems more than a little disrespectful, IMO, don't you?

This is my last comment here. In my view, all the bad vibes here started with you. Quite unnecessarily.

Because I suggested we keep private lives private, and said we used to do that, that is a "bad vibe". Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

My two cents...I do agree that if the people in question wish to keep the relationship private, that is something that should be really taken into consideration when posting in a public forum. If the relationship has been made public, i.e. on Instagram or other social media then I don't see the harm in posting about it. Whether they have made the relationship public, I have no idea.

I also think Ay Mate had no ill intent in posting and was pointing out that being the two have a relationship, that would be incentive for Jasmine Thomas to want to remain in Connecticut, thus even less of a need for her to be cored.

PostPosted: 01/15/17 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2017/01/2017-wnba-free-agency-part-2/

Here are the players that are on the market this upcoming season who are able to sign with whichever team they choose.

Unrestricted Free Agents

Mistie Bass (Phoenix Mercury)
Alana Beard (LA Sparks)
Essence Carson (LA Sparks)
Erika de Souza (Chicago Sky)
Markeisha Gatling (Atlanta Dream)
Whitney Knight (San Antonio Stars)
Erlana Larkins (Indiana Fever)
Janel McCarville (Minnesota Lynx)
Leilani Mitchell (Washington Mystics)
Plenette Pierson (Dallas Wings)
Asia Taylor (Connecticut Sun)
Jasmine Thomas (Connecticut Sun)
Kristi Toliver (LA Sparks)
Ann Wauters (LA Sparks)
Monica Wright (Seattle Storm)

Core Players

Dewanna Bonner
Crystal Langhorne
Camille Little
Angel McCoughtry
Tanisha Wright

Restricted Free Agents;

Kayla Alexander (San Antonio Stars)
Alex Bentley (Connecticut Sun)
Kelsey Bone (Phoenix Mercury)
Layshia Clarendon (Atlanta Dream)
Kelly Faris (Connecticut Sun)
Brittney Griner (Phoenix Mercury)
Tayler Hill (Washington Mystics)
Sugar Rogers (New York Liberty)
Elena Delle Donne (Chicago Sky)
Sandrine Gruda (LA Sparks)
Kayla Pedersen (Connecticut Sun)
Tierra Ruffin-Pratt (Washington Mystics)
Krystal Thomas (Seattle Storm)
Jeanette Pohlen (Indiana Fever)

These aren't looking too bad, but I recall Mo Currie's guesses from last year being not totally reliable.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=86679&start=12

I don't think wnba.com would even list Kayla Pedersen since she didn't play last year, so I wonder why Currie doesn't list statuses of players like Cambage or Jarry, or that guard from Connecticut Sun, Hightower, that's injured all the time?

Where's the list of reserves?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/17 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're one who is curious to see how Bulgak is doing overseas, not much to see so far. Only two games with this Spanish. But I noticed Nadia Colhado is averaging 19.8 pts and 11.6 reb

Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/18/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If you're one who is curious to see how Bulgak is doing overseas, not much to see so far. Only two games with this Spanish. But I noticed Nadia Colhado is averaging 19.8 pts and 11.6 reb

Vulgar just moved over to Spain from Korea. Colhado's the only option for that team so she's been delivering. Rumor has it that she'll get a look in the WNBA this year based on what she did there.

sigur3

PostPosted: 01/18/17 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/core-reserved-restricted-unrestricted-2017/

Quote:
CORE PLAYERS
DeWanna Bonner (Phoenix)
Crystal Langhorne (Seattle)
Camille Little (Connecticut)
Angel McCoughtry (Atlanta)
Tanisha Wright (New York)

RESERVED PLAYERS
Farhiya Abdi (Los Angeles)
Rebecca Allen (New York)
Valeriane Ayayi (San Antonio)
Vicki Baugh (San Antonio)
Tiffany Bias (Dallas)
Abby Bishop (Seattle)
Sydney Colson (San Antonio)
Anna Cruz (Minnesota)
Ana Dabovic (Los Angeles)
Clarissa Dos Santos (Chicago)
Jelena Dubljevic (Los Angeles)
Ha Eun Joo (Los Angeles)
Cayla George (Phoenix)
Keisha Hampton (Minnesota)
Emmeline Ndongue (Los Angeles)
Haley Peters (San Antonio)
Sonja Petrovic (Phoenix)
Meighan Simmons (Atlanta)
Marianna Tolo (Los Angeles)
Erica Wheeler (Indiana)
Marta Xargay (Phoenix)

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
Kayla Alexander (sa)
Alex Bentley (Connecticut)
Kelsey Bone (Phoenix)
Layshia Clarendon (Atlanta)
Elena Delle Donne (Chicago)
Kelly Faris (Connecticut)
Brittney Griner (Phoenix)
Sandrine Gruda (Los Angeles)
Tayler Hill (Washington)
Kayla Pedersen (Connecticut)
Jeanette Pohlen (Indiana)
Sugar Rodgers (New York)
Tierra Ruffin-Pratt (Washington)
Krystal Thomas (Seattle)

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
Mistie Bass
Alana Beard
Essence Carson
Erika de Souza
Markeisha Gatling
Whitney Knight
Erlana Larkins
Janel McCarville
Leilani Mitchell
Plenette Pierson
Asia Taylor
Jasmine Thomas
Kristi Toliver
Ann Wauters
Monica Wright

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 01/18/17 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So basically the same as the womensbasketball247 one

PostPosted: 01/18/17 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No mention of Hightower, but Pedersen (who sat out for personal reasons) is listed. Does that mean they offered Pedersen and decided to let Hightower go?

Some of those names listed as reserved seem erroneous

Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/18/17 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
There was one before theirs that was more complete. The 247 one left out all the reserved players.

The reeerved players list is frustrating because it includes some rights (like Ndongue) but missed most of them. Alleyne, Hightower, Barbee, and Angelica Robinson are named off the top of my head whose rights are owned by one of the team's. And, of course, Tweety Nolan and Alba Torrens.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/18/17 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
No mention of Hightower, but Pedersen (who sat out for personal reasons) is listed. Does that mean they offered Pedersen and decided to let Hightower go?

Hightower is under contract, Pedersen isn't.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/18/17 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
There was one before theirs that was more complete. The 247 one left out all the reserved players.

The reeerved players list is frustrating because it includes some rights (like Ndongue) but missed most of them. Alleyne, Hightower, Barbee, and Angelica Robinson are named off the top of my head whose rights are owned by one of the team's. And, of course, Tweety Nolan and Alba Torrens.

Owning someone's draft rights is a bit different than their reserved rights.

And not that they'd be worth anything, but no one owns anything in regards to Nolan any more.

PostPosted: 01/18/17 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They don't have a category for deferred draft picks. They should have a category for players who rights are owned but they didn't play last year, and they don't show up in these other categories.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/17 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nvm

Last edited by Shades on 01/18/17 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/18/17 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Shades wrote:

Hightower is under contract, Pedersen isn't.

How can you be restricted but not under contract?

That describes every restricted free agent.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/17 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I meant was does Pedersen showing up on the list mean she's definitely coming back and CON is interested in playing her? I can't imagine her having much trade value.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/18/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
What I meant was does Pedersen showing up on the list mean she's definitely coming back and CON is interested in playing her? I can't imagine her having much trade value.

No, it means she's a free agent and hasn't retired, but hasn't been in enough so she's UFA.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/18/17 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

still amazed that Ha Eun Joo & Emmeline Ndongue, 2006 FA signings, both still continue to appear on this list every year. I believe both players have retired from basketball. Joo never played a game in the league. At least Jung Sun-min & Laura Macchi are finally off the list.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/18/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
still amazed that Ha Eun Joo & Emmeline Ndongue, 2006 FA signings, both still continue to appear on this list every year. I believe both players have retired from basketball. Joo never played a game in the league. At least Jung Sun-min & Laura Macchi are finally off the list.

Blame Penny Toler and the Sparks. They're the ones who continue to send out the reserved qualifying offers for no reason whatsoever. At this point I kinda think Toler's taking the piss.

PostPosted: 01/18/17 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's the word I'm looking for. Did CON give Pedersen a qualifying offer to keep her from turning into a UFA?

I suppose I could see PHX being interested in Pedersen as a substitute for Bass, and she is from Phoenix.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/18/17 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Blame Penny Toler and the Sparks. They're the ones who continue to send out the reserved qualifying offers for no reason whatsoever. At this point I kinda think Toler's taking the piss.

So a reserved player also gets a qualifying offer to keep them on the list? Does that mean those players are getting money? Whatvis the difference between a player who is on the reserved list vs. a player like Robinson whose rights are owned by a team?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/18/17 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

So a reserved player also gets a qualifying offer to keep them on the list? Does that mean those players are getting money? Whatvis the difference between a player who is on the reserved list vs. a player like Robinson whose rights are owned by a team?

If a player would otherwise become a free agent (i.e. her contract has run out) but has three or fewer years of service, then the team has to make a 'Reserved Qualifying Offer' to make her reserved. That doesn't guarantee them any money. But it is technically a contract offer, so the player could just sign it, then show up at training camp and force the team to keep her or cut her (assuming they haven't already cut her beforehand to save everyone the trouble).

But you're right, there are players whose rights are held by a team who they don't bother putting on those lists. Liz Cambage and Dallas, for example (and maybe Robinson (and Phoenix?) as well, although I'm not entirely sure about her status). I believe technically she's 'reserved' as well, but obviously as far as the WNBA is concerned she's on a different list. It's like it's a different kind of reserved, or something, which therefore doesn't get printed on these lists (and may not require a qualifying offer every damn year, although I'd have to dig into the minutiae of the CBA to check that).

PostPosted: 01/18/17 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA has a situation that I haven't noticed in other sports -- namely, the clock on your contract continues even though you're not active. In Cambage's case, she's essentially under rookie contract status even though her contract expired. She only has two years of service so she's not entitled to be an RFA. Liz is simply stuck unless she's traded or starts accumulating the time.

The Reserved players all seem to fall into two categories: players who have been cut at some time in their career or undrafted players. There may also be a difference between undrafted international players vs. Americans -- I'm not sure. Either way, unlike Cambage, they are entitled to become UFAs if the team doesn't make them a qualifying offer.

There must be a list for players who were suspended when last seen in the league. Angel Robinson was suspended by Seattle in 2015, and maybe her status remained that way after her rights were traded to Phoenix. Since she didn't show up, no change was necessary? Hightower was also suspended by the Sun in 2015. As far as I know, she didn't show up in 2016. The really odd one is Olcay Cakir. WNBA.com announced that the Liberty suspended her at the end of training camp last year even though Cakir was never expected to show up and it was never announced that she signed a contract. Anyway, Cakir is another suspended player not on any of the above lists... although it may simply be a case of WNBA.com being full of crap. Smile

Lastly, Barbee and Alleyne are technically entitled to re-enter the draft if they don't sign their qualifying offers. That's definitely a different kettle of fish.

PostPosted: 01/18/17 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The WNBA has a situation that I haven't noticed in other sports -- namely, the clock on your contract continues even though you're not active.

Most sports don't have the no-show situation that the W does.

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/17 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure on that ruling, but it'd be hilarious if Alleyne re-entered the draft considering her rights were traded to CON.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/18/17 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
The WNBA has a situation that I haven't noticed in other sports -- namely, the clock on your contract continues even though you're not active.

Most sports don't have the no-show situation that the W does.

And there are reciprocality agreements between the leagues -- at least in baseball and basketball -- where they honor each others contracts. It's probably unnecessary in football because the NFL pays so much more than anybody else. I'm a little unclear about hockey. It does seem like players move back and forth between leagues with the seasons overlapping.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: